or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Continuum on SYFY
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Continuum on SYFY - Page 10

post #271 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Here's the thing about B-5 - it was a syndicated show, part of the defunct PTN Network. Season 1 kind of meandered about until they found their footing, and the lead character was miscast. They re-cast him with Bruce Boxleitner in S-2 and the principal story arc got rolling. That arc wrapped up at the end of S-4, as they didn't think they'd be renewed. When word came down there would be a S-5 they had to re-tool quickly and they kind of created an extension that sort of made sense but didn't have the same gravitas. That's why the recommendation is Seasons 2-4 - that's the "golden era" of B-5. Don't bother with the sequel series 'Crusade', a one-and-done misfire.

Is it worth it? You bet! They did amazing things with the relatively primitive CGI technology of the era, the principal actors were terrific, and the fully serialized story arc by the incomparable Joe Straczynski, known primarily from the comics world, was inspired. It's a landmark sci-fi series on TV and still holds up well today.

Actually, the S1 lead asked to be let go for "personal reasons." And make no mistake ... every episode (even the "boxing" one) in S1 has some plot element that pays off at a later date in the show (sometimes spectacularly) ... it would be a huge mistake for a B5 "newbie" to skip S1.
post #272 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

There is a Syfy UK, Romania, Japan, Germany, Spain, Australia.... biggrin.gif

And the ballgame may have changed a bit since Comcast bought NBC Universal. They seem to want better programming. They have plenty of money to spend on it given cable bills.

and UK sky 1 / Sky Atlantic shows a lot of shows form Syfy first
post #273 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Since the name of this show is Continuum... and the freelancers finally mentioned it this episode... one says, "Kiera is no longer a problem" and the other says "in this continuum"...

I think what we will find is that this show has already been about multiple timelines... that's how Kellog didn't disappear when his grandmother was killed by Kagame way back in season one.

I think we ultimately will find that each one of these time trips is splintering the timeline and then there are multiple continuums.. such that when Alec goes back to save Emily he will be in a different continuum than the one he just left where Kiera and the others were captured and imprisoned.

IF I'm right... I'm looking forward to a huge episode somewhere down the line with multiple versions of several main characters running into each other.

I also envisioned something like this in the next season, where we might follow Kiera and Alec in the timeline where he went back to save Emily and also follow Kiera in the timeline where Alec disappeared and she got imprisoned, but it would get confusing rather quickly if we switched between continuums on an episode-by-episode (or even scene-by-scene) basis. As such, it would make more sense to start season 3 during the meeting in Jason's lair, where secondary Alec can then appear and rush everyone to safety, thus preventing Emily's death and Kiera's capture.

I did get the sense at times during the second season that events might have been playing out across multiple timelines, but I chalked that up to the writing having continuity errors. I'll be impressed if everything turns out to be part of a master plan. Who knows, maybe season 3 will open with Kiera, Alec, and Emily all alive and free, and we'll find out more about how past events unfolded (and which timeline we're in) as the season progresses.
post #274 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

In my book, it was the best Sci-Fi series of all time. A lot of people thought the 1st and 5th seasons weren't that great, but I enjoyed every season and just the entire B5 Universe was outstanding, and boy did all the pieces fall into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

If you like sci-fi, then absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Here's the thing about B-5 - it was a syndicated show, part of the defunct PTN Network. Season 1 kind of meandered about until they found their footing, and the lead character was miscast. They re-cast him with Bruce Boxleitner in S-2 and the principal story arc got rolling. That arc wrapped up at the end of S-4, as they didn't think they'd be renewed. When word came down there would be a S-5 they had to re-tool quickly and they kind of created an extension that sort of made sense but didn't have the same gravitas. That's why the recommendation is Seasons 2-4 - that's the "golden era" of B-5. Don't bother with the sequel series 'Crusade', a one-and-done misfire.

Is it worth it? You bet! They did amazing things with the relatively primitive CGI technology of the era, the principal actors were terrific, and the fully serialized story arc by the incomparable Joe Straczynski, known primarily from the comics world, was inspired. It's a landmark sci-fi series on TV and still holds up well today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Actually, the S1 lead asked to be let go for "personal reasons." And make no mistake ... every episode (even the "boxing" one) in S1 has some plot element that pays off at a later date in the show (sometimes spectacularly) ... it would be a huge mistake for a B5 "newbie" to skip S1.

Thanks for the heads up and great info. I was all geared up to watch a few episodes tonight. Apparently Netflix doesn't have it available to stream and Amazon wants $2 an episode. Looks like we're gonna do it the old fashioned way and rent the discs.
post #275 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I have DirecTV for MLBEI-HD as Comcast does not have the product. I've stayed with Comcast because I've invested in 2 TiVos and a CableCARD-capable network tuner(SiliconDust Prime) over the years, and for their Internet product as it's the only game in town. That said, all that cable hardware can be sold so I'll get some coin back on it, and have been considering increasing the programming on DirecTV - I currently only activate it the 6 mos of the baseball season(Go Dodgers!). I'll have to see how the "negotiations" go when I talk to Comcast. tongue.gif
I get it.

The reality is DirecTV cannot deliver the internet speeds a cable company can.
This is why I use the cable companies for internet in both homes, while using DirecTV for television stuff.
post #276 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post




Thanks for the heads up and great info. I was all geared up to watch a few episodes tonight. Apparently Netflix doesn't have it available to stream and Amazon wants $2 an episode. Looks like we're gonna do it the old fashioned way and rent the discs.

Do some research on the viewing order, and you need to get the original pilot 'The Gathering' as the first thing to view, before you start season 1.
post #277 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Do some research on the viewing order, and you need to get the original pilot 'The Gathering' as the first thing to view, before you start season 1.

When did watching TV become so much work?biggrin.gif Thanks for the tip on watching The Gathering first. Will do.
post #278 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Do some research on the viewing order, and you need to get the original pilot 'The Gathering' as the first thing to view, before you start season 1.

I have no idea what "the Gathering" is. Epguide's listing for Continuum has no mention of it in any form. There is no mention of it in the Wiki entry for the show either.
post #279 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

... that's how Kellog didn't disappear when his grandmother was killed by Kagame way back in season one. ...
Really Travis, Kagame was going to honor the agreement. /quibble
post #280 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post


Thanks for the heads up and great info. I was all geared up to watch a few episodes tonight. Apparently Netflix doesn't have it available to stream and Amazon wants $2 an episode. Looks like we're gonna do it the old fashioned way and rent the discs.

Good idea. One warning about the CGI ... apparently there were "issues" when they converted the original 4:3 images over to anamorphic 16:9, so unfortunately, most of the scenes that used CGI wound up a bit "blurry" on the DVDs. Don't panic ... there is nothing wrong with your system. wink.gif
post #281 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I have no idea what "the Gathering" is. Epguide's listing for Continuum has no mention of it in any form. There is no mention of it in the Wiki entry for the show either.

Read the previous posts. They are discussing Babylon 5.
post #282 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The Freelancers, who have a tendency to shoot first and ask questions later, have guns that never run out of bullets, and are impervious to bullets fired at them, are trying to protect the timeline(s). So they're kinda' the good guys. Except for that tendency to shoot anything that moves.

Alec is Jason's dad, and Esher is Alec's dad (unless he's lying).

Curtis was a FL mole infiltrating Liber8. That sneaky Ba$tard.
Escher was confirmed as Alec's dad by the Freelancers addressing as Michael Sadler. Up until that moment, his faking his own death kept him out of the Freelancer's hands. He used to be one of them in his past. He really kept the information about them close to the vest.

Regarding Curtis - I guess his body was one that the Freelancers stole from the morgue and somehow they managed to bring him back to life. How can the Freelancers do that? Pluck his essence out of another continuum? It had been quite some time since he had been killed.


Regarding B5 - I agree with all the praise. It may be my all-time favorite series. Every now and then the DVD sets are on a really good sale.
post #283 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

Really Travis, Kagame was going to honor the agreement. /quibble

I knew something about that felt wrong when I was typing it... but I don't have season 1 to go back and check... thanks for the correction there.
post #284 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

Regarding Curtis - I guess his body was one that the Freelancers stole from the morgue and somehow they managed to bring him back to life. How can the Freelancers do that? Pluck his essence out of another continuum? It had been quite some time since he had been killed.

Also possible that it was a different Curtis from a different continuum... they kind of opened the doors a bit for some possibilities.
post #285 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

One warning about the CGI ... apparently there were "issues" when they converted the original 4:3 images over to anamorphic 16:9, so unfortunately, most of the scenes that used CGI wound up a bit "blurry" on the DVDs.

Huh? What 4:3 original images? Continuum has been 16:9 HD from day one. Converting the 1920x1080 video to 720x480 is not an issue.
post #286 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Read the previous posts. They are discussing Babylon 5.

Too many posts. I jumped in here late, as I've already seen all of the episodes.

Now I know which "The Gathering" you are talking about.
post #287 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Also possible that it was a different Curtis from a different continuum... they kind of opened the doors a bit for some possibilities.
And that makes my head hurt.....wink.gif
post #288 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

And that makes my head hurt.....wink.gif
Ah, but it's the cocktail hour in our particular continuum so pour yourself a glass of "headache fixer", my treat! biggrin.gif

post #289 of 470
"Small Batch Bourbon?"

Hmmm....you know, my birthday isn't far away, keenan....tongue.gif
post #290 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Too many posts. I jumped in here late, as I've already seen all of the episodes.

Now I know which "The Gathering" you are talking about.

Sorry .... I couldn't tell if you were legitimately confused or just wise-cracking. wink.gif There appears to be quite a lot of the latter going on in the scifi threads of late.
post #291 of 470
I was confused. Without the B5 tie-in, the title didn't ring a bell. I have all of the B5 DVD releases. As soon as B5 was mentioned as the link, the light went on.
post #292 of 470
I don't know guys, while this season had some great momments, their inability to have the guts to actually kill off a character makes it hard to watch. When I finally thought, wow, they did it, and killed off the black guy with the new suit by dropping him dozens of floors down, and bouncing off walls. They show him in the end shot in a container, apparantly alive with no marks. Its like nothing can kill these people so why bother watching, they will always be around. It is frustrating.
post #293 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I don't know guys, while this season had some great momments, their inability to have the guts to actually kill off a character makes it hard to watch. When I finally thought, wow, they did it, and killed off the black guy with the new suit by dropping him dozens of floors down, and bouncing off walls. They show him in the end shot in a container, apparantly alive with no marks. Its like nothing can kill these people so why bother watching, they will always be around. It is frustrating.

Unfortunately, once you've introduced the concept of multiple time-lines, interconnected continuums, the multiverse, or similar parallel-time ideas into a story, that's a natural consequence. Some kind of limitation has to be defined in the concept that's being used and has to be rigidly adhered to. Otherwise it can be used to justify arbitrary occurrences that actually are due to lazy or bad writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

One warning about the CGI ... apparently there were "issues" when they converted the original 4:3 images over to anamorphic 16:9, so unfortunately, most of the scenes that used CGI wound up a bit "blurry" on the DVDs.

Huh? What 4:3 original images? Continuum has been 16:9 HD from day one. Converting the 1920x1080 video to 720x480 is not an issue.

That was another reference to Babylon 5, not to Continuum. I think people need to include some kind of :offtopic: icon.
post #294 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post


That was another reference to Babylon 5, not to Continuum. I think people need to include some kind of :offtopic: icon.

Late hit. It was sorted out hours ago. smile.gif
post #295 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Unfortunately, once you've introduced the concept of multiple time-lines, interconnected continuums, the multiverse, or similar parallel-time ideas into a story, that's a natural consequence. Some kind of limitation has to be defined in the concept that's being used and has to be rigidly adhered to. Otherwise it can be used to justify arbitrary occurrences that actually are due to lazy or bad writing.
.

Agreed, and I hate to see them go down that path for the very reasons you stated so well. So it has been established that there are multiple timelines? I'm not completely sure, but maybe I'm just being stubborn because I don't want it to go that way. That can be a trap. Fringe is the only time travel story I can think of offhand that didn't contradict itself when doing that, and even Fringe came close to stepping over the line....

I also agree Travis should be dead. It will be a major strain of my suspension of disbeleif if he keeps returning like a bad penny.smile.gif
post #296 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post


I also agree Travis should be dead. It will be a major strain of my suspension of disbeleif if he keeps returning like a bad penny.smile.gif
Agreed.
When a series pulls this "he/she is dead, no wait" stuff, it feels like the writers are just jerking our chains.
post #297 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.
When a series pulls this "he/she is dead, no wait" stuff, it feels like the writers are just jerking our chains.

yep.
post #298 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.
When a series pulls this "he/she is dead, no wait" stuff, it feels like the writers are just jerking our chains.

I'm not so sure that fall would kill Travis, if he can take that many shots from Lexa Doig(can't remember her name in the show, Sonya??) ... then I could see him surviving the fall down the shaft. And it looked like he was hooked up to some kind of life support type gizmo.
post #299 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I'm not so sure that fall would kill Travis, if he can take that many shots from Lexa Doig(can't remember her name in the show, Sonya??) ... then I could see him surviving the fall down the shaft. And it looked like he was hooked up to some kind of life support type gizmo.

And maybe the Freelancers snatched him out of there somehow before he hit the bottom. They seemed to be collecting the time travelers in some fashion, for some reason.
post #300 of 470
Because the high voltage cable wouldn't have killed him?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Continuum on SYFY