Image upscaling under madVR
Screenshots in a FHD screen
at ~30 seconds of [F1. SD] Ratatouille (2007).mkv
(ripped from the DVD with MakeMKV). Pictures below are cropped to 480x270, then enlarged by x3 (1440x810) with Nearest neighboring (that won't affect PQ) for your convenience. Look closely at, for example:
- Curved TV screen frame: How smooth is it?
- Channel knob: Does the texture look natural?
- "HORIZ" knob: Is there ringing around the knob? (BTW "VERT" knob is underneath, not seen in pic.)madVR Level 0
(Nearest Neighbor / Nearest Neighbor)madVR Level 1
(Bilinear / Bilinear)DXVA2 AMD
(identical throughout all models of AMD Radeon cards, integrated or discrete)DXVA2 NVIDIA
(identical throughout all models of NVIDIA GeForce cards)DXVA2 Intel
(identical throughout all models of Intel SNB, IVB and Haswell iGPU)madVR Level 2
(BiCubic75 / Lanczos3): This is madVR's default setting.madVR Level 3
(BiCubic75+AR / Lanczos3+AR)madVR Level 3.5
(BiCubic75+AR / JInc3)madVR Level 4
(BiCubic75+AR / Jinc3+AR)madVR Level 5
(Jinc3+AR / Jinc3+AR)Comments
- madVR Level 0: The original.
- madVR Level 1: The most primitive algorithm. Image is blurry and dull. TV screen frame is juggy.
- DXVA2 AMD: Close to Level 2. Note that his works with EVR and XBMC, but not with madVR. madVR DXVA2 always reduces to Level 1 with AMD.
- DXVA2 NVIDIA: Close to Level 2
- DXVA2 Intel: Close to Level 3
- madVR Level 2: Lanczos is a very popular algorithm. Sharper, coarser with lots of ringing.
- madVR Level 3: Anti-ringing filter improves PQ greatly.
- madVR Level 4: Warmer, finer, natual. Actually it looks near perfect in my eyes. The best upscaling algorithm available today. Madshi's anti-ringing filter is the hallmark.
- madVR Level 5: The difference from Level 4 is not so clear in this screenshot (and in the majority cases), but there is definitely a difference in certain cases and Jinc3+AR chroma upscaling is better.
In a nutshell
- Lanczos: Sharper, coarser, metallic (based on trigonometric function)
- Jinc: Warmer, finer, woody (based on Bessel function)
Jinc (in particular with anti-ringing filter) is the best image (as well as chroma) upscaling algorithm. Garbage in, gospel out. Edited by renethx - 6/20/13 at 12:49am