or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › GBox - what does it do and how does it do it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GBox - what does it do and how does it do it?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'd be very appreciative if someone could explain to me what exactly this box does and how does it do it? I'll forewarn you that I am incredibly technologically ignorant. You can talk to me like a 5 year, I won't be upset, lol. I live in Alaska and cable tv is ridiculously expensive. So far I have HULU and Netflix but I miss my old shows that I could watch on cable. A friend has this and said that I can get cable tv and tons of new movies for free. I am curious how it does this? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
post #2 of 16
Are you talking about this: http://www.gboxusa.tk/ ?

If you are it looks like a Android/XBMC box with their gbox software which is basically a bunch of internet streaming channels packaged in a nicer/neater interface.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk View Post

Are you talking about this: http://www.gboxusa.tk/ ?

If you are it looks like a Android/XBMC box with their gbox software which is basically a bunch of internet streaming channels packaged in a nicer/neater interface.

I have no idea what the Android Box looks like or does either. lol. As you can see I am extremely uneducated about these types of things. From what I gather using this box you are able to stream cable tv, movies, etc for free? Just curious what it does, how it does it, and can someone with no experience like me use it easily.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani6696 View Post

I have no idea what the Android Box looks like or does either. lol. As you can see I am extremely uneducated about these types of things. From what I gather using this box you are able to stream cable tv, movies, etc for free? Just curious what it does, how it does it, and can someone with no experience like me use it easily.

No name manufacturer with a .tk website selling an android device. It's junk. 100% guaranteed.
post #5 of 16
Hi Noelani,

Welcome to the forum.

What do you use to watch HULU and Netflix? Do you have a computer? (dumb question, since you're reading this).

Android is a free operating system software, sponsored by Google. Anybody can take a cheap computer chip, add a TV interface and an Ethernet interface to it, load the Android software on it and sell an "Android box". My guess is that there are dozens of companies that sell similar boxes. This one is nothing special.

If you have a computer and Internet, then anything that you can watch with this box you can also watch on your computer. That is all this box is - a very lightweight computer that knows how to stream content that is already on the Internet into your TV.

This link might give you a better idea of what the Gbox does: http://www.google.com/tv/
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Noelani,

Welcome to the forum.

What do you use to watch HULU and Netflix? Do you have a computer? (dumb question, since you're reading this).

Android is a free operating system software, sponsored by Google. Anybody can take a cheap computer chip, add a TV interface and an Ethernet interface to it, load the Android software on it and sell an "Android box". My guess is that there are dozens of companies that sell similar boxes. This one is nothing special.

If you have a computer and Internet, then anything that you can watch with this box you can also watch on your computer. That is all this box is - a very lightweight computer that knows how to stream content that is already on the Internet into your TV.

This link might give you a better idea of what the Gbox does: http://www.google.com/tv/

Google TV is very different from normal Android, which is what this box runs.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Google TV is very different from normal Android, which is what this box runs.
Yes, this is true. But if you scroll down to the "What you can watch" and the "How it works" sections on that web page, they are directly applicable. There are more similarities between the Gbox and Google TV (which is indeed based on Android) then there are differences.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani6696 View Post

I have no idea what the Android Box looks like or does either. lol. As you can see I am extremely uneducated about these types of things. From what I gather using this box you are able to stream cable tv, movies, etc for free? Just curious what it does, how it does it, and can someone with no experience like me use it easily.

I guess I was asking if the link I displayed is the actual device you are talking about. As has been mentioned, gbox could be google TV etc etc etc. You said your friend has one... can they provide a model number, vendor etc to confirm we are talking about the same device?
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
I use Hulu and Netflix now through a Wii but my friend has the gbox and said I can get cable tv for free through it. True?
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk View Post

I guess I was asking if the link I displayed is the actual device you are talking about. As has been mentioned, gbox could be google TV etc etc etc. You said your friend has one... can they provide a model number, vendor etc to confirm we are talking about the same device?

Yes, it appears that is the box that he has. I don't have any cable service, only internet. Honestly, I don't care if I can access my computer through my tv. I am trying to get cable for free, lol. In Alaska cable is crazy expensive.
Edited by noelani6696 - 6/26/13 at 11:43am
post #11 of 16
My opinion is to look up what XBMC can do. With certain add-ons it is possible. Check out the gbox on youtube. I have been looking at the same gbox mx2. Not sure if I should just build my own HTPC. Its only $99 on amazon. Not so much of a loss if its not as good as it looks.
post #12 of 16
Personally, I would avoid the Gbox, I bought one and exchanged it cause it couldn't play any media without stuttering and the replacement did the same..
I wanted to get it exchanged again but the vendor and manufacturer would not reply.

XBMC is an amazing interface, best one I've ever used.
post #13 of 16
This thread is titled "GBox - what does it do and how does it do it?" -- But -- there are 'Two' G-Boxes -- so I'm not sure which one(s) are being discussed here

My personal experience(s) with 'Both "Matricom" G-Boxes are 'very positive'

Plus, there are a few 'G-Box' copies available, which are copies of Matricom's G-Box Midnight and the G-Box Midnight 'MX2' - the MX2 is their most recent Box

I've purchased both Boxes and my experience with both is totally positive - I loaded both boxes with 'Many' Android Apps and loaded XBMC on both with 'Very Many' addons and programs -- I kept the MX2 and sent the G-Box Midnight to my daughter who lives in another state -- and we have been enjoying both Boxes, without issue!


MagicMan3... when you say the G-Box couldn't play "any media" -- can I ask...

Which G-Box you are talking about and was your G-Box a Matricom Box

What was the file extension(s) and/or the container type(s) of the media you were trying to play

Was the media played locally from a USB HDD - or over your local network (via Wired - or Wireless)

Personally, I'd recommend the Matricom "G-Box Midnight MX2" - it's supported very well from both the MFG'r/Matricom' and their user community, on the forum... http://matricom.net/forum/
post #14 of 16
I have a G-Box Midnight MX2 and I like it pretty well. The implementation of XBMC it uses is limited to 720P output which is okay for me because of the TV I am using.
XBMC works like it would on an HTPC although it is noticeably slower when using menus or scanning content. Playback has been excellent, no stuttering or buffering
on the Blu-ray rips I have on my NAS. These boxes can be flashed with an XBMC only environment that I read is more robust than the stock one. As mentioned there
are a lot of Android apps and you can add others. The browser works pretty damn well too, the best I've used on a dedicated steaming device. Would I want this as my
primary streamer, probably not due to the 720P limit in XBMC but all-in-all it's a nifty little box. It works well with a wireless keyboard and mouse too.
post #15 of 16
Stupid question.

Since this runs XBMC I am assuming I could use it as a front end client to any of the backend PVR software XBMC now supports.
Is anybody using the gbox in this way? Specifically with the nPVR (NextPVR) backend?

My SageTV infrastructure is aging and I want to move to something open source.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olink View Post

I have a G-Box Midnight MX2 and I like it pretty well. The implementation of XBMC it uses is limited to 720P output which is okay for me because of the TV I am using.
XBMC works like it would on an HTPC although it is noticeably slower when using menus or scanning content. Playback has been excellent, no stuttering or buffering
on the Blu-ray rips I have on my NAS. These boxes can be flashed with an XBMC only environment that I read is more robust than the stock one. As mentioned there
are a lot of Android apps and you can add others. The browser works pretty damn well too, the best I've used on a dedicated steaming device. Would I want this as my
primary streamer, probably not due to the 720P limit in XBMC but all-in-all it's a nifty little box. It works well with a wireless keyboard and mouse too.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › GBox - what does it do and how does it do it?