or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch Reference or Synergy for a small room?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch Reference or Synergy for a small room?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi guys.

I have a small 5 by 5 meter listening area where I have a klipsch Quintet 5 with sub. For movies its more than enough, but for music its lacking.

Thats why I thought rhat considering the size and price an f-20 or f-30 synergy based system would be more than enough for music.

Now I can also get an rf42 system for a just a bit more. But on the other hand Im thinking that the bigger cones of the f-20 or f30 would be better than the rf-42.

Option 3 would be to save up for a rf52 rf-62 but would it make sense for such a small space? And the price would go up significantly. Just dont want to over spend for such a small area. But the emphasis is on music. Just also noticed that the recommended rs-52 are huge which would also look weird innsuch a small space.

So basically I have a 5by5 meter area for movies/music in an appartment and have a 5007 marantz receiver. Should the f-20/30 be enough or an rf-42? Would an even high rf-52/62make any sense?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note II
post #2 of 16
How about going with the reference series bookshelves instead? You could get the RB-51 and RC-52, matched with a good sub it will sound just as good at the larger towers. The Klipsch reference series is much better than the Synergy line, I would definitely wait and save up for that. With the money saved from going with bookshelves instead, put that towards a better sub.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

How about going with the reference series bookshelves instead? You could get the RB-51 and RC-52, matched with a good sub it will sound just as good at the larger towers. The Klipsch reference series is much better than the Synergy line, I would definitely wait and save up for that. With the money saved from going with bookshelves instead, put that towards a better sub.

Hi thanks.

Im aware that the rf is more detailed.
But detailed enough to notice in a small listening area?
Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note II
post #4 of 16
If your not a complete audiohpile I'd get the synergy F-30's

A friend of mine has a complete F-30 setup and I must say it sounds pretty good. I personally don't like Klipsh due to the horn style tweeter, not going to go into to much detail aside from that but his F-30's have quite a lot of bass, i was actually quite impresed. They sound clear, have a lot of detail and can get quite loud with no distortion (I have personally witnessed him crank them up almost all the way and had his Denon reciever shut down before they ever broke up LOL)

I have also heart the RF-52 or 62, to be honest I don't recall which one it was..

Spent a littel bit of time with them when I was speaker shopping. Now granted i did not hear them Side by side for an A-B comparasion.. but I hardly could pick out a difference. I would say maybe the reference is a bit cleaner sounding.. based on that even myself if I wanted to save some cash I'd just get teh F-30's.. I think you'd be quite happy saving the cash and getting the F-30's.. they are great sounding speakers my own dislikes of the horn tweeter aside. They are clear, get loud and so long as you have a semi-decent reciever they won't distort on you.

I personally don't think there was a distinct enough difference to warrant the extra money but thats just me.
post #5 of 16
Room size has nothing to do with speaker clarity, and honestly, a 15'x15' room isn't all that small. Bookshelves + sub offer great value. I would say get the reference bookshelves versus the synergy towers, use the extra money to get a better sub.
post #6 of 16
The Synergy line is the cheapest they make and it sounds like it; not good.

I suggest that you read the article in the current Stereophile magazine regarding the Pioneer BS-22 speakers.

They are incredibly good-sounding speakers for a price that is amazingly low.

You can buy four of the BS-22 speakers at Amazon for only $220 TOTAL and the CS-22 center speaker for around $150.

The article compared these speakers with some very good ones that cost 3 TIMES as much, and they sounded nearly as good.

They should be perfect for your situation, and a sound a LOT better than any Klipsch speakers you can buy for under $800.
post #7 of 16
There is a thread in here where a guy was comparing the Pioneers to the Klipsch Reference series and ended up going with the Klipsch. They are two totally different sounds, so make sure you listen first (Best Buy carries both I believe).
post #8 of 16
I apolgoize my friend has the Icons KF-28 not the Synergys..

I cannot comment on the Synergys as I have not heard them


However my statement still rings true in regards to the Icons.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

If your not a complete audiohpile I'd get the synergy F-30's

A friend of mine has a complete F-30 setup and I must say it sounds pretty good. I personally don't like Klipsh due to the horn style tweeter, not going to go into to much detail aside from that but his F-30's have quite a lot of bass, i was actually quite impresed. They sound clear, have a lot of detail and can get quite loud with no distortion (I have personally witnessed him crank them up almost all the way and had his Denon reciever shut down before they ever broke up LOL)

I have also heart the RF-52 or 62, to be honest I don't recall which one it was..

Spent a littel bit of time with them when I was speaker shopping. Now granted i did not hear them Side by side for an A-B comparasion.. but I hardly could pick out a difference. I would say maybe the reference is a bit cleaner sounding.. based on that even myself if I wanted to save some cash I'd just get teh F-30's.. I think you'd be quite happy saving the cash and getting the F-30's.. they are great sounding speakers my own dislikes of the horn tweeter aside. They are clear, get loud and so long as you have a semi-decent reciever they won't distort on you.

I personally don't think there was a distinct enough difference to warrant the extra money but thats just me.

You pretty much said what I was thinking. It seems everybody is quick to tell you to buy the Reference line. But I have a feeling that the difference is minimal and only when you have very good DVD-Audio recordings.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Room size has nothing to do with speaker clarity, and honestly, a 15'x15' room isn't all that small. Bookshelves + sub offer great value. I would say get the reference bookshelves versus the synergy towers, use the extra money to get a better sub.

That's the other option I thought about. But a good quality reference bookshelf requires HUGE rears and an expensive center. In that case its almost better to go full tower.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

You pretty much said what I was thinking. It seems everybody is quick to tell you to buy the Reference line. But I have a feeling that the difference is minimal and only when you have very good DVD-Audio recordings.

Keep in mind my post above.. I was incorrect as it was the Icons my friend has that I've listened to not the SYnergys.

I don't think the price difference between them is that much these days though
post #12 of 16
The Reference line uses lighter stiffer cones and more powerful motors, compared to the Synergy line. For the small price difference, I would go with the Reference line.
Reply
Reply
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

That's the other option I thought about. But a good quality reference bookshelf requires HUGE rears and an expensive center. In that case its almost better to go full tower.

I am not sure what you mean by this? You would use the same center with either bookshelves or towers, and the surround speakers are irrelevant. The reference towers will play lower, but if you have a sub and a crossover set, the lower extension of the towers becomes wasted.

You can get the Reference bookshelf system for about the same price as the Synergies, and it will sound better.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

Hi guys.

I have a small 5 by 5 meter listening area where I have a klipsch Quintet 5 with sub. For movies its more than enough, but for music its lacking.

Thats why I thought rhat considering the size and price an f-20 or f-30 synergy based system would be more than enough for music.

Now I can also get an rf42 system for a just a bit more. But on the other hand Im thinking that the bigger cones of the f-20 or f30 would be better than the rf-42.

Option 3 would be to save up for a rf52 rf-62 but would it make sense for such a small space? And the price would go up significantly. Just dont want to over spend for such a small area. But the emphasis is on music. Just also noticed that the recommended rs-52 are huge which would also look weird innsuch a small space.

So basically I have a 5by5 meter area for movies/music in an appartment and have a 5007 marantz receiver. Should the f-20/30 be enough or an rf-42? Would an even high rf-52/62make any sense?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note II

You may want to look into the BIC America Formula Series speakers or the BIC Acoustech Platinum Series speakers. They sound great for the price and are way cheaper than the Klipsch. acousticsounddesign.com has great deals on them.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

Hi guys.

I have a small 5 by 5 meter listening area where I have a klipsch Quintet 5 with sub. For movies its more than enough, but for music its lacking.

Thats why I thought rhat considering the size and price an f-20 or f-30 synergy based system would be more than enough for music.

Now I can also get an rf42 system for a just a bit more. But on the other hand Im thinking that the bigger cones of the f-20 or f30 would be better than the rf-42.

Option 3 would be to save up for a rf52 rf-62 but would it make sense for such a small space? And the price would go up significantly. Just dont want to over spend for such a small area. But the emphasis is on music. Just also noticed that the recommended rs-52 are huge which would also look weird innsuch a small space.

So basically I have a 5by5 meter area for movies/music in an appartment and have a 5007 marantz receiver. Should the f-20/30 be enough or an rf-42? Would an even high rf-52/62make any sense?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note II
Get the best you can possibly afford. If you can only afford synergy get the f30. Really good speaker for everything. If you go reference get at least rf62ii, the others are too small compared to the f30. I own f30 and rf82ii. The reference are better, but the synergy arent far behind(for these 2 floorstanders only) I started with f30 as mains, then upgraded to 82ii.
post #16 of 16
The thread dates from last June. The OP must have bought his speakers by now!

He has RF82II and RC-62 II as front three:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch Reference or Synergy for a small room?