or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 2

post #31 of 1363
Add me to the list of those with fan noise. Very annoying in a quite room listening at a normal level. I don't think I need should have to jack up the volume or turn the AC on (its fan noise) to enjoy my TV. Ambient noise makes it a none issue, but I cant see running the HVAC fan during the winter. If the picture wasn't so damn good it would go back today. It costs too much to have an issue like this..

Make fun of buying Geek coverage but unless Panny comes out with a fix in the next few months its going back via warranty claim and getting something else. On the other hand my Kuro buzzed, 8500 can buzz, so maybe I can adapt. For the record - you don't have to be a member of AVS to hear it - just the top right side fan is the noise maker. All you need is decent hearing. I'm a believer that they all have it - to some degree.
post #32 of 1363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Add me to the list of those with fan noise. Very annoying in a quite room listening at a normal level. I don't think I need should have to jack up the volume or turn the AC on (its fan noise) to enjoy my TV. Ambient noise makes it a none issue, but I cant see running the HVAC fan during the winter. If the picture wasn't so damn good it would go back today. It costs too much to have an issue like this..

Make fun of buying Geek coverage but unless Panny comes out with a fix in the next few months its going back via warranty claim and getting something else. On the other hand my Kuro buzzed, 8500 can buzz, so maybe I can adapt. For the record - you don't have to be a member of AVS to hear it - just the top right side fan is the noise maker. All you need is decent hearing. I'm a believer that they all have it - to some degree.

Do you have 60" or 65"? Also, do you have the production date and number? They are printed on the back an center of the TV.
post #33 of 1363
60VT60 - it is mounted in a custom built display so it is next to impossible to see that info. Purchased at the end of May. You have every right to say I told you so cool.gif
post #34 of 1363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

60VT60 - it is mounted in a custom built display so it is next to impossible to see that info. Purchased at the end of May. You have every right to say I told you so cool.gif
smile.gif
I added you to the list.
post #35 of 1363
Just got maybe a good tip about the fan noise in the Panasonic ZT 60"

There is a serviceport on the backside that can be used to more adjustments.
It's supposed to be fore tecnicions, but as i understand, they can adjust the fan speed.
Will talk to Panasonic monday and find out how to acsess the port.
post #36 of 1363
60zt60 no fan noise. May production date. Well cooled room. Stand mounted.
post #37 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirh View Post

60zt60 no fan noise. May production date. Well cooled room. Stand mounted.

I'm interested to hear if people that are experiencing fan noise have the TV mounted on the wall or sitting on it's stand.

It would make sense that those that enclosed the TV in custom cabinets or consoles are experiencing the fan noise as those compartments trap the heat and make it difficult for the set to breathe.
post #38 of 1363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Arkadian View Post

I'm interested to hear if people that are experiencing fan noise have the TV mounted on the wall or sitting on it's stand.

It would make sense that those that enclosed the TV in custom cabinets or consoles are experiencing the fan noise as those compartments trap the heat and make it difficult for the set to breathe.

Mine is on its stand, and there is no enclosed cabinets around it. I went through 3 exchanges, and all of them have/had fan noise. You can see a picture of TV on its place in my room from my profile.
post #39 of 1363
My VT is on a stand, and sits about 2 feet away from the wall. Plenty of ventilation in the room. Fan noise is audible at low volumes, but I've decided to keep it since the panel itself has absolutely perfect screen uniformity and the image quality is awesome. I found the fan noise to be similar in volume to the plasma buzz coming off my Samsung plasmas. I've 'learned' to live with the plasma buzz, and barely notice it now..
post #40 of 1363
I just wanted to give a quick update for those with the fan noise. I heard back from the Panasonic tech person (a third party) and Panasonic has developed a fix. They have a foam kit that they want to install that basically slows down the "wind noise" from coming through the grill in the back of the TV. Unfortunately I've already notified Best Buy that I wanted to return the TV and it is scheduled for pickup so I can't say if it is a true fix or not. I wish they would have told me that they had a fix in the first place instead of them just wanting to send out another tech to "read the noise level".
post #41 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverddrager View Post

E00775
My Panasonic zt 60"
Fan sound is very loud.
Is hearable even up to volum 40

Are you still within your return period? Return that and have them ship you a new one that isn't defective.
post #42 of 1363
My 65VT60 has the noise, and trying to figure out if it's my set or a general design issue with the VT. It could be the acoustics of the room too (converted basement). Dimensions of room are 7.5' H x 11.2' W x 18' L. The fans are 9" away from wall and 3' from celing. So I may be a victim of the room rather than the fan noise. I really don't want to have to buy dampening material after just purchasing the TV, but I may be forced to if it's the room itself. The back of the TV is not hot to touch but I'm running slides so the CPU is not heavily in use. And the room itself does not get hot, stays a cool 65F most of the time. Also thinking it could be dirty power, but I don't have anything to measure what's going into the TV at the socket. Any thoughts? Should I exchange for another VT60? TV looks great and hate to part with it for fear of something else failing...The local warranty repairman came and said the noise is normal, so I kind of brushed it off, but reading more threads there looks to be a foam kit now?
post #43 of 1363
I got my VT60 and all I am doing is watching Blu Rays and a little youtube for the moment until the 100 hrs are past . I did notice the fan noise at any volume even loud I could the m...... flowers roaming, I called Panasonic they are sending a rep 3rd party company. I am debating my COA keep it don't let the tech touch my set or return it and cross my fingers to get a set noise free. I read about people making returns and the replacement unit still has fan noise. The PQ is unreal I don't want to go with an LED. Any suggestions are we overacting to the noise that could be normal? or whats the deal? I went from the GT to VT the GT never had any noises.
post #44 of 1363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEAUDIO View Post

I got my VT60 and all I am doing is watching Blu Rays and a little youtube for the moment until the 100 hrs are past . I did notice the fan noise at any volume even loud I could the m...... flowers roaming, I called Panasonic they are sending a rep 3rd party company. I am debating my COA keep it don't let the tech touch my set or return it and cross my fingers to get a set noise free. I read about people making returns and the replacement unit still has fan noise. The PQ is unreal I don't want to go with an LED. Any suggestions are we overacting to the noise that could be normal? or whats the deal? I went from the GT to VT the GT never had any noises.

I had two ZT replacements, and along with the first one, all of them had the fan noise. I am scheduled for a third exchange for mid-August, but I am not keeping my hopes up this time. Some people mentioned a fix is on the way in the ZT thread. Apparently Panasonic is developed some kind of foam to be installed in front of fans.

So far, not a single person with fan noise could get a better unit. By that statement, I mean someone who had a faulty unit could not get a better one by exchanging it. Some people report they have quiet units, but they never previously experienced fan noise. My theory is that all units do make the noise, but some people just don't hear it or have different room structure that doesn't reflect the sound as much. I am waiting for my last exchange to see if I am right or wrong, and I am hopping to be wrong on this one and get a good unit.
post #45 of 1363
My 2 cents....... I have read all the forums including one in the UK where they removed the back panel. No noise with bare fans in open air. The noise is from the air blowing through the panel. It is a design problem. You will find no replacement units that will cure the problem. The fans have been used in multiple generations of Pannys.

Only cure is to partially block the airflow, I used thick card stock spaced about 3/8" from the panel. Very quiet now. I don't care if I affect product life, I love the PQ.
post #46 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

So far, not a single person with fan noise could get a better unit. By that statement, I mean someone who had a faulty unit could not get a better one by exchanging it. Some people report they have quiet units, but they never previously experienced fan noise. My theory is that all units do make the noise, but some people just don't hear it or have different room structure that doesn't reflect the sound as much. I am waiting for my last exchange to see if I am right or wrong, and I am hopping to be wrong on this one and get a good unit.

I agree with your theory (sorry). You probably have exceptional hearing so it bothers you more than some others (though clearly you are not alone). I took delivery of a 60ZT60 last night (May 2013 build date, didn't record the production number). It has what I would call a "soft hum" from the fans. I don't have a problem with it, although I'm probably a bad data point for 2 reasons. The zt60 replaced a DLP that had an audible spinning color wheel. The ZT60 is quieter, so for me it is an improvement. Second, my ears are not as good as they used to be (maybe too many rock concerts in my youth?). But my family doesn't have a problem with the hum. Ofcourse, they've also been conditioned to ignore the DLP color wheel during the last 10 years. And their jaws are still on the floor from the difference in PQ.

You're either lucky to have excellent hearing, or unlucky to get 3 loud TVs in a row. Hopefully Panasonic comes up with a fix that works for you, or your 4th set is quiet. Good luck.

BTW, absolutely no buzz from my zt60 so far.
post #47 of 1363
I have a 65" VT60 April 2013 build.
I sit 10' from the TV and its installed on its stand.
Corner setup. (This may play a factor but I dont know)

The serial number listed is MK30980102.

I also have fan noise that can be heard during low volume scenes and when I have no sound playing.
But the moment sound can be heard when playing a movie or watching tv, you can't hear the fan noise.

It kinda disappointing to know how much you paid for this tv to have this issue. But I think I can live it with it.
When Im watching a movie I can't ever really say I have heard the noise, and I try really hard to hear it.

So it has been confirmed by Panasonic that there is now a foam kit available?

I'm coming here for moral support from fellow VT60 owners. Are you guys living with it or are you gonna let go?
I wouldnt mind exchanging it and trying for a second time but it seems people are getting the same problem.
And has anyone dealt with exchanges through AMAZON?
Edited by Ace_BB6 - 7/19/13 at 10:20pm
post #48 of 1363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_BB6 View Post

I have a 65" VT60 April 2013 build.
I sit 10' from the TV and its installed on its stand.
Corner setup. (This may play a factor but I dont know)

The serial number listed is ....

I added you to the list. You didn't have to list your SN, and the production # is enough.

Some people had let go, but some has accepted to bear with the fan noise.

I don't think we have exceptional hearing abilities that we hear the noise, but I for one haven't been into any rock concerts when I was younger smile.gif
post #49 of 1363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

I agree with your theory (sorry). You probably have exceptional hearing so it bothers you more than some others (though clearly you are not alone). I took delivery of a 60ZT60 last night (May 2013 build date, didn't record the production number). It has what I would call a "soft hum" from the fans. I don't have a problem with it, although I'm probably a bad data point for 2 reasons. The zt60 replaced a DLP that had an audible spinning color wheel. The ZT60 is quieter, so for me it is an improvement. Second, my ears are not as good as they used to be (maybe too many rock concerts in my youth?). But my family doesn't have a problem with the hum. Ofcourse, they've also been conditioned to ignore the DLP color wheel during the last 10 years. And their jaws are still on the floor from the difference in PQ.

You're either lucky to have excellent hearing, or unlucky to get 3 loud TVs in a row. Hopefully Panasonic comes up with a fix that works for you, or your 4th set is quiet. Good luck.

BTW, absolutely no buzz from my zt60 so far.

Our jaws, my wife and I, are still on the floor too, and that is the reason I have been going through all the hassle of returns and exchanges. As a matter of fact, after a month with ZT, my wife is a big advocate of plasma technology now. Who would've thought of that!

BTW, I don't think I am that unlucky! I certainly do not feel so, and I don't think we have exceptional hearing. This is definitely a design issue.
post #50 of 1363
A002488 - Fan noise.. Seems to reverberate through the TV.
post #51 of 1363
P65ZT60, AO056xx, June production, fan noise (whining).

Wall mounted.
post #52 of 1363
Just got my ZT65 yesterday (July 20), slight fan hum, so far can only hear it behind tv. April 2013 build. Unit # A00110. Only minor adjustments, it will be on HBO for about a week for break in. GREAT PICTURE. PS tried the 3D on lost series great effects
post #53 of 1363
Wanted to add that I have 65VT60 mounted on stand 2 ft from wall.
Can hear the fans from 12 ft away (MK30920092) . First 65VT60 build date was April 2013.
Returned due to fan noise , second set has May build (MK31540312) and Fan noise is slightly louder.
I opened a case with Panasonic but they tell me there is no problem with this TV. If you go and read the UK AVS Forums
ref fan noise for this TV they have concluded that its not the fans but the air flowing/moving thru the TV's back cover wholes.
Several owners removed there cover and the noise was no longer.


Randy
post #54 of 1363
Does anyone have any additional information about this "foam kit" fix that Panasonic supposedly has out? Anyone dealt with it yet ?
post #55 of 1363
I stopped by BB tonight and they had the ZT that I returned wall mounted in the theater room. The sales guy told me that they also had the VT60 I returned but another customer already had it. He said that the fan noise was repaired by the Geek Squad. He didn't have any details on the repairs.

I must say that my old ZT looked mighty fine.
Edited by TWD - 7/23/13 at 8:45pm
post #56 of 1363
looking up the fan part number it seems like Panasonic uses the exact same fan in previous gt/vt plasmas. since the tv is the same thickness as older models and the grill design on the back is also the same it doesn't make sense that this years is louder than before. if this issue isn't some sort of ocd outbreak from new plasma users then I can only think of two reasons for the noise.

1. having fewer grill holes around the fans is causing some sort of turbulence/air restriction problems. (unlikely)
2. the firmware has the PWM option set so the fans run at faster speeds at lower temperatures than previous models. (most likely)


Panasonic lists the vt60 as using 30w more than the vt50. more power = more heat under the same conditions. so it's very likely the fans are simply running faster than before especially if Panasonic didn't update the PWM profile. do the fans need to be running so fast? probably not. a firmware update with corrected PWM curve would fix the issue. the fans shouldn't pick up speed until the tv is near 80% of it's safe operating temperature then they should only increase speed in small intervals.
post #57 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_BB6 View Post

Does anyone have any additional information about this "foam kit" fix that Panasonic supposedly has out? Anyone dealt with it yet ?
Apparently the service bulletin was very recently published on Panasonic's service network. In the AV Forums thread, a UK dealer confirmed the existence of the kit (at least for the European VT65) and described it as a series of foam inserts that differs between models. I assume the goal is to reduce the noise resonance within the TV chassis. I'm hoping we can get a bulletin number or something that we can mention to Panasonic to get our TVs fixed instead of being told that the noise is normal.
post #58 of 1363
The Panasonic field service rep and a 3rd party Electronic repair company came to my home today to evaluate the fan noise on my 65VT60. The repair tech was not ready to do anything and the field service tech had the technical bulletin for a kit that is supposed to muffler the sound not making it completely silent.

They are supposed to remove the back panel to install the kit that really didn't sit well with me I paid a lot of money for this TV even at a discount it was mucho dinero paid and the noise is unacceptable. For the money that I and we paid for this TV set there should be No Issues what so ever.

Panasonic engineers dropped the ball on this issue Quality control wise they should've caught the problem during testing and development phase.

The rep mention that I have to wait for an answer to see if they are gonna refund me or replace it. Thinking about going LED F8000 Series. Love the PQ of the VT60 but the fan noise issues are really getting on my nerves.

I am disappointed with the issue my TV is having. Any ideas or suggestions?
post #59 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEAUDIO View Post

The Panasonic field service rep and a 3rd party Electronic repair company came to my home today to evaluate the fan noise on my 65VT60. The repair tech was not ready to do anything and the field service tech had the technical bulletin for a kit that is supposed to muffler the sound not making it completely silent.

They are supposed to remove the back panel to install the kit that really didn't sit well with me I paid a lot of money for this TV even at a discount it was mucho dinero paid and the noise is unacceptable. For the money that I and we paid for this TV set there should be No Issues what so ever.

Panasonic engineers dropped the ball on this issue Quality control wise they should've caught the problem during testing and development phase.

The rep mention that I have to wait for an answer to see if they are gonna refund me or replace it. Thinking about going LED F8000 Series. Love the PQ of the VT60 but the fan noise issues are really getting on my nerves.

I am disappointed with the issue my TV is having. Any ideas or suggestions?


How did you get a field rep out? When I went through the warranty they sent an approved local repair shop out. The repair guy said it's normal and did nothing. I'm thinking about calling the panasonic again as there seems to be enough "noise" now that they will at least install a noise dampening kit. I don't mind them opening up the tv and if they do it all damages is on them.

I haven't done it yet, but I have bought some materials to try and build a dampening vent over the noisy fans, I already have pc fan filters over them but that only minimally brought the noise level down.
post #60 of 1363
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers