or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speakers for 100% movies/TV (~$3K to $5K budget)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speakers for 100% movies/TV (~$3K to $5K budget) - Page 9

post #241 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

Updated list again...

Budget $6000.00.

Remember, I like a warm tone (voices need to be loud and clear) and am somewhat of a basshead.

Also, the speakers need to be available in piano gloss black and look nice as this is going in a living room.

LCR and surround speakers:
- Ascend Acoustics Sierra tower and Horizon center with standard NrT tweeters
- Salk Song Tower/Song Tower and Song Center/Song Center (Supercharger versions???)
- Soundfield Audio M1 Monitors with TC Sounds drivers and matching center

Sub(s):
- Rythmik FV15HP x 2
- DIY LMS Ultra 5400 driver with custom ported enclosure x 1 (add another later)

The only problem I see with your DIY option is that you want everything in a piano finish, that mind be a little challenging with DIY.
post #242 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

The only problem I see with your DIY option is that you want everything in a piano finish, that mind be a little challenging with DIY.

Well I can always get my cabinet builder to finish the speaker boxes in piano gloss black.
post #243 of 257
What do you mean by your defintion of warm tone? A lot of people have its own definition.
post #244 of 257
I just don't understand the choices unless you define your goals better. Of course what I consider loud is reference levels, you might not. When you say you want loud none of those choices would be on my list because loud is not their thing. Their is accurate, loud, and loud and accurate. It is much harder to get the latter, especially cheap unless you DIY.
post #245 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

What do you mean by your defintion of warm tone? A lot of people have its own definition.

Strong voices, mid range and depth. No super bright highs. I don't like it to sound bright.
post #246 of 257
Updated list again...

Budget $6000.00.

Remember, I like a warm tone (voices need to be loud and clear) and am somewhat of a basshead.

Also, the speakers need to be available in piano gloss black and look nice as this is going in a living room.



LCR and surround speakers:
- Soundfield Audio M1 Monitors with updated TC Sounds drivers
- Soundfield Audio matching Center
- KEF Q series surrounds

Sub(s):
- Rythmik FV15HP x 2
- DIY LMS Ultra 5400 driver with custom ported enclosure x 1 (add another later)
post #247 of 257
Check out selah audio, Rick has a lot of experience in speaker building and the type of driver and he could built you something you maybe interested
post #248 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

Updated list again...

Budget $6000.00.

Remember, I like a warm tone (voices need to be loud and clear) and am somewhat of a basshead.

Also, the speakers need to be available in piano gloss black and look nice as this is going in a living room.



LCR and surround speakers:
- Soundfield Audio M1 Monitors with updated TC Sounds drivers
- Soundfield Audio matching Center
- KEF Q series surrounds

Sub(s):
- Rythmik FV15HP x 2
- DIY LMS Ultra 5400 driver with custom ported enclosure x 1 (add another later)

I'm curious as to why you keep changing your list ever few hours? Have you been able to read reviews to cross past speakers off your list?
post #249 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I'm curious as to why you keep changing your list ever few hours? Have you been able to read reviews to cross past speakers off your list?

Sorry man, just ran across these earlier and researched them a bit and fell in love. I think they will be perfect and I've always loved the look of the KEF LS50 monitors (minus the gold/orange cones). I just think that these will look and sound great. Plus I can afford to actually get the whole 5.2 system at once now.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417246/soundfield-audio-monitor-1

Just gotta figure out the route to take for the subs now...
post #250 of 257
i actually looked at some KEF's. The ones that my wife liked were a bit further down the list, the R series. I'm sure even those would outperform my HT expectations. I suspect if you aren't a music junky that paying more for anything in there flagship would be less bang for buck than taking that extra money and putting it into the sub - for HT the sub and center tend to be the weak links.
post #251 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

i actually looked at some KEF's. The ones that my wife liked were a bit further down the list, the R series. I'm sure even those would outperform my HT expectations. I suspect if you aren't a music junky that paying more for anything in there flagship would be less bang for buck than taking that extra money and putting it into the sub - for HT the sub and center tend to be the weak links.

Exactly, I don't care about perfect SQ. The music I listen to is Rock, Hip Hop and Club jams and I've always had loud speakers/subs in my vehicles and was born with a hole in my eardrum so I probably can't even hear all the little nuances of Classical, Jazz and such anyways.

I currently have this 5.1 setup:


So this setup should be much louder and better all around:

Especially when paired with the KEF surrounds and a couple of good subs...
post #252 of 257
which setup is that?

this is the one I was mentioning btw http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/hi-fi_series/r_series/overview/

And yes, you'd probably be very very happy with anything less than this and you probably don't need floorspeakers/towers unless you are a stereo audiophile.

Based on everything you've said, IMO just put all the money into design + anything that gets you design and good speaker placement in the room, Receiver (with XT32 or ARC) and subs and I think you will be quite happy....you don't need to chase 10hz either - most punch isn't subsonic anyhow - you're already going to be blown away hitting down to 20hz with all the quality subs you are looking at.
post #253 of 257
Those look like the Monitor 1s. Soundfield seems to have moved on to the Monitor 2s. The Monitor 2s do look very good.
post #254 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

I would like to agree with you but my real life experience tells me that the direction of sub makes a difference. Not a whole lot different but it did make a difference. Part of the reason i think is because the sub was crossing at 80hz with a 12 db slope which means the upper frequencies are still contributing to the output of the sub.
Radiation is omni-directional up to about 200Hz.. But two factors do have to be considered. One is that with a high crossover and/or low slope crossover considerable energy can be present above 200Hz. Second is that directionally locatable frequencies extend to about 120Hz, and down or rear-firing does help attenuate those. But going back to the original statement, down and rear firing affects ported and sealed subs in exactly the same fashion.
post #255 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

which setup is that?

this is the one I was mentioning btw http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/hi-fi_series/r_series/overview/

And yes, you'd probably be very very happy with anything less than this and you probably don't need floorspeakers/towers unless you are a stereo audiophile.

Based on everything you've said, IMO just put all the money into design + anything that gets you design and good speaker placement in the room, Receiver (with XT32 or ARC) and subs and I think you will be quite happy....you don't need to chase 10hz either - most punch isn't subsonic anyhow - you're already going to be blown away hitting down to 20hz with all the quality subs you are looking at.

The first pic is the Sony SA-VS310 5.1 setup that I currently have ($500.00 new, super cheap and tiny speakers, no depth at all) I have a 55" TV right now so it's not that bad, but with a 120" projection setup, the sound would be tiny compared to the picture, LOL!

The second pic is the Soundfield Audio M1 monitors and center. They are pretty beefy and should sound amazing according to the reviews I've read. They use similar speakers to the KEF LS50 except they have good TC Sounds 8" drivers underneath. The monitors and center will run me $2200.00. That leaves $3800 for two surrounds and two subs. About perfect for my $6000 budget. I may even have some left over for A/V gear if I'm lucky. smile.gif
post #256 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Those look like the Monitor 1s. Soundfield seems to have moved on to the Monitor 2s. The Monitor 2s do look very good.

Yeah, they have the Monitor 2's now, but these are still in limited stock. I love the look of the Monitor 1's more than the 2's though.
post #257 of 257
Updated list again...almost there...

Any votes for the subs? Powered subs with built-in amps are preferred.

Budget - $6000.00
Use - 80% HT & Gaming / 20% Music (Rock, Hip Hop, Club)
Finish - Piano Gloss Black and/or Flat Black

LCR and surround speakers: ($3000.00)
- Soundfield Audio M1 Monitors with upgraded 8" TC Sounds drivers ($1500.00/pair)
- Soundfield Audio matching Center ($700)
- KEF Q800ds dipole Surrounds ($800/pair)

Sub(s) w/ Vented Enclosure:
- Rythmik FV15HP x 2
- DIY 18" LMS Ultra 5400 driver with custom ported enclosure x 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speakers for 100% movies/TV (~$3K to $5K budget)