or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › sealed or ported
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

sealed or ported

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I see many ppl recommend a ported sub over a sealed for ht because the extra output. It seems to me though that a sealed unit has better quality and can get to the ultra low frequency s.
My question is if price and size were not a factor would it be better to get a large expensive sealed unit or a smaller cheaper ported unit(both would have the same or relatively Close output .

For example maybe.. ill take the rythmik fv15hp vs the rythmik f25.

What would u rather have for ht? Again size and price is no factor
Edited by newc33 - 6/29/13 at 4:22pm
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post

I see many ppl recommend a ported sub over a sealed for ht because the extra output. It seems to me though that a sealed unit has better quality and can get to the ultra low frequency
Ported can have equal or better quality and can go just as low, if not lower. You have to take each sub on its own individual merits.
post #3 of 16
Brian of Rythmik Audio, mentioned that the F25 is a bit more articulate compared to the FV25HP. for HT use, he recommends the FV25hp. I use the sealed F15 for HT and 2 channel use, as audio is a big part of the diet
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Okay well I'm happy with my setup now but will likely go with a larger sub eventually.
With your guys input ill prolly stick to ported plus I will be able to blend my lv12r with an fv15hp
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

Brian of Rythmik Audio, mentioned that the F25 is a bit more articulate compared to the FV25HP. for HT use, he recommends the FV25hp. I use the sealed F15 for HT and 2 channel use, as audio is a big part of the diet

I didn't know Rythmik made a FV25HP. I know of a F25 and an FV15HP but I haven't read of a FV25HP. Forgive me, was that a typo or did I miss the introduction of a dual driver, vented model?
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I didn't know Rythmik made a FV25HP. I know of a F25 and an FV15HP but I haven't read of a FV25HP. Forgive me, was that a typo or did I miss the introduction of a dual driver, vented model?

Bee, go back to the rythmik thread, you are the one that started the FV25HP...im sure it was a typo.tongue.gif
post #7 of 16
Moi?

Oh good grief.



I went back in time and corrected the "TYPO." It's back to being a FV15HP.

(thanks for the heads-up)

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 6/29/13 at 5:24pm
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Bee, go back to the rythmik thread, you are the one that started the FV25HP...im sure it was a typo.tongue.gif

Lol!
post #9 of 16
newc,

I had read the same as you, before I purchased my current subs. I also read that those same sealed subs required more power to hit those low frequencies, and usually required additional EQ to do so cleanly. This didn't appeal to me, so I chose ported. No regrets... I also understood that the sealed could occupy a SMALLER box than what is required for similar performance from a ported sub. WAF wasn't an issue, so I went with the larger (and cheaper, both initially and long range electricity usage) compromise that ported offered.

The advice that stuck most was that I could have : small size, great performance, and low cost... and to pick two... and size was the least important of those 3. That leads to a ported sub. If size and performance are your 2 priorities, that leads to sealed. If small size and low cost are your priorities... well , you're probably on the wrong forum. smile.gif

Joseph
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

I also understood that the sealed could occupy a SMALLER box than what is required for similar performance from a ported sub.
That's a common misconception. In most cases a driver will work as well as it's possible for it to work in a sealed cab with a relatively small box, so there's no advantage to going larger. In most cases for a driver to work as well as it's possible for it to work in a ported cab it will be a larger box, but that extra size also results in lower extension and higher output. As a for instance, the Titanic 15 driver reaches it's maximum capability sealed in a 4 cu ft cab, and its maximum capability ported in a 9 cu ft cab. But the sealed cab f3 is 38Hz, while the ported cab f3 is 18Hz, so you do get a lot of extra extension from the larger ported cab. The lesson is that generally speaking if you must have a smaller cab it probably should be sealed, but if you can have a larger cab ported will give a better result.
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hey good info guys! Thanks for your input. I think ill stick with ported subs! I have no regrets with my lv12r and hey if it ain't broke don't fix it right
post #12 of 16
I have the utmost respect for Bill, and if he says it... well, he knows alot more about this than I.

newc, your set-up looks great, I'd love to hear it someday, and that goes both ways... if you're ever near Bristol, VA, Asheville, NC, or Pigeon Forge, TN... I'm about an hour (ish) from each. You, or any other enthusiast here, is more than welcome for a demo. smile.gif

Joseph
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

I have the utmost respect for Bill, and if he says it... well, he knows alot more about this than I.

newc, your set-up looks great, I'd love to hear it someday, and that goes both ways... if you're ever near Bristol, VA, Asheville, NC, or Pigeon Forge, TN... I'm about an hour (ish) from each. You, or any other enthusiast here, is more than welcome for a demo. smile.gif

Joseph

Thanks! I'm a lil over an hour from Chicago. The only true reason for having the set up I do now is because all the awsome help IV had from u guys! Only one year ago I bought my first satalite system (deftech pro 600 system) and I liked it enough I knew I wanted something bigger and better. I browsed theese forums and found soooooo much help here! Cel4145 is originally the one who recommended me to ascend and I'm really glad he did! Man only a year ago I didn't even know what crossover was hahahah .

Now the next step is gona is getting a spl meter and learning how to use it
Then a bigger sub
Then room treatments

It never ends lol

I'd be completely lost without this forum
post #14 of 16
Probably should take this to PM's... I'll be in Chicago in two weeks... my oldest is graduating from Naval boot camp in Great Lakes on the 12th, and I know absolutely noone in the area. I'd love to hear other systems, almost as much as I'd like some good recommendations on foodie spots. I saw Nana's on triple D ( Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives) on the food network last night, and would appreciate info on other restaurants there as well !! OH, I can bring my Radio Shack SPL meter, too !! rolleyes.gif Way off topic, but I just had to... smile.gif
Joseph.

(wonder if wifey would notice if I packed up a VTF3 in the back of the Odyssey...) eek.gif
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post

Hey good info guys! Thanks for your input. I think ill stick with ported subs! I have no regrets with my lv12r and hey if it ain't broke don't fix it right

yup...only thing i would do is add 1 or 2 more if money, waf, and placement is not a issue.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Oh yeah ill def have another before to to long maybe a year or so
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › sealed or ported