or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Xbox Live 'Games With Gold'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xbox Live 'Games With Gold' - Page 5

post #121 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

Weird question: If I delete a "Games With Gold" game that I got for free, for example: Fable 3, in order to make space for other things (Yup, 20 GB model here), can I download that same game later on, when it's not being offered?

In other words, does downloading a "Games With Gold" game count as making a purchase? Anybody know?

In fact, most of the Games with Gold games, I haven't actually downloaded them (due to lack of HDD space). But they're in my download history for the future. In fact, I started to download Gears of War but ended up canceling again and erasing the partial download.

I have several Games on Demand which I bought when they were on sale and have not downloaded (I bought them with my Xbox turned off and immediately removed them from my download queue). I'll download them when I'm ready to play them.
post #122 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I have several Games on Demand which I bought when they were on sale and have not downloaded (I bought them with my Xbox turned off and immediately removed them from my download queue). I'll download them when I'm ready to play them.

You guys are so helpful. Out of curiosity, is this how Playstation Plus games work? For some reason I thought that the monthly PS+ games were only available that month, and then after that you couldn't play them anymore. But if that's not true, PS+ becomes a lot more appealing!
post #123 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

You guys are so helpful. Out of curiosity, is this how Playstation Plus games work? For some reason I thought that the monthly PS+ games were only available that month, and then after that you couldn't play them anymore. But if that's not true, PS+ becomes a lot more appealing!

With regard to PS+, once you download a game (or just place it in your download queue) you will have access to the game game for as long as you are a PS+ subscriber.
post #124 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

Out of curiosity, is this how Playstation Plus games work? For some reason I thought that the monthly PS+ games were only available that month, and then after that you couldn't play them anymore. But if that's not true, PS+ becomes a lot more appealing!

I believe that if you download them during that month you can download them again as needed. Actually, you have at least twice as long to download a PS+ freebie as you do to download a GwG title (GwG titles are only available free for half of a month) and there are several semi-permanent PS+ free titles. You do not, however, own them, but you can use them as long as you're subscribed to PS+. Bioshock Infinite is a freebie coming up on Monday; unfortunately I bought it for $14 during a recent XBL sale. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is also coming as a PS+ freebie; I have not purchased the Xbox version of that so I'll probably snag it.

EDIT: I just checked and all of the PS+ freebies that I've picked up are on my accounts download list, meaning that I can download them again.
post #125 of 135
Xbox Live Gold Members get Dead Island and Toy Soldiers: Cold War Free in February

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
February’s set of free games for Xbox Live Gold Members in will be Dead Island and Toy Soldiers: Cold War.

Starting Saturday (February 1st) Dead Island (Normally US $19.99) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through February 15th .

Then on February 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Toy Soldiers: Cold War (Normally US $14.99) for free.
post #126 of 135
So no word yet on when this program is coming to the XBOne? I have a feeling when it does, the games offered I will have already purchased.
post #127 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So no word yet on when this program is coming to the XBOne? I have a feeling when it does, the games offered I will have already purchased.

They said 2014 so my guess is E3 and launching this Fall
post #128 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So no word yet on when this program is coming to the XBOne? I have a feeling when it does, the games offered I will have already purchased.

I've been with Xbox Live for many years and have been a Playstation + member for only a month or two. Insofar as free games, I've got to admit that Playstation beats the crap out of Microsoft in this area. I'm hopeful that eventually Microsoft will start releasing worthwhile games for Xbox One but I'm not getting my hopes up. I am, however, spending significantly more time in the Sony world and am liking it smile.gif
post #129 of 135
they've been getting better. really loved that Sleeping Dogs was included. always wanted to have that but never got around to buying it. most of the other GWG, I already had owned (except for some of those arcade ones) so they didn't help me much.

but February will be great! I've also wanted to own Dead Island so looking forward to that. And read great reviews for Toy Soldiers (if it's the one I'm remembering) so that'll be a good one. But sadly, my 360 HDD is completely full and I'm really having to manage space wisely. In fact, lots of the GWG games have not actually been downloaded (they're just in my purchase history) due to lack of space. and nearly all of the games no longer have disc images on the HDD (so I have to deal with slower loading, drive thrashing, etc.).
post #130 of 135
XBL Gold for XB1? Since there is no backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 games, and no new or old Xbox One games to give for free...What would be the point of XBL free Gold games on XB1? XB 360 has a gigantic library to draw from. XB1 doesn't have bupkis to draw from. Maybe an irrelevant Arcade game or two. But that's it. This won't matter for XB1 until about 5 years from now.
post #131 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

XBL Gold for XB1? Since there is no backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 games, and no new or old Xbox One games to give for free...What would be the point of XBL free Gold games on XB1? XB 360 has a gigantic library to draw from. XB1 doesn't have bupkis to draw from. Maybe an irrelevant Arcade game or two. But that's it. This won't matter for XB1 until about 5 years from now.

No different than the PS4. It doesn't have a large library either, but they are still offering a game or two each month for PS+. XBL can still do the same thing. They certainly have around six games out already that would be the type they give away
post #132 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

No different than the PS4. It doesn't have a large library either, but they are still offering a game or two each month for PS+. XBL can still do the same thing. They certainly have around six games out already that would be the type they give away

But you said it spot on in your last comment. If they draw from that library of just 6 games, they're drawing from an inventory that has already been bought by most XB1 users. That makes them worthless IMO. I was not aware of the PS4 situation. Because I pretty much stayed with Xbox 360. But I just think it was mindless of both companies to penalize their most avid customers (early adopters) this way. And incentivize Xbox 360 users with a superior program to hold serve. Both (especially Xbox users) should have had a loadup opportunity of at least 300 most popular Xbox 360 & PS3 titles ready on their cloud servers to access. That certainly would have rewarded those users with "Steam" like discounts and "XBLFWG" incentives. And it would have helped create a very sustainable launch. As more wait & see people would have a reason to buy earlier than planned. So IMO they should have at least tried some of the excellent Last gen titles like Kingdoms of Amalur...Timeshift...Darksiders 1 & 2 and others to support the launch. Titles that may have had disappointing sales. But would look & play great on the new consoles. A lot of people didn't buy those games but have high interest in playing them on the cheap anyway. Most will keep their older consoles as their main game machines for years because of this. But would love to play them on XB1 if they got them free or with major PC type discounts.
post #133 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

But you said it spot on in your last comment. If they draw from that library of just 6 games, they're drawing from an inventory that has already been bought by most XB1 users. That makes them worthless IMO. I was not aware of the PS4 situation. Because I pretty much stayed with Xbox 360. But I just think it was mindless of both companies to penalize their most avid customers (early adopters) this way. And incentivize Xbox 360 users with a superior program to hold serve. Both (especially Xbox users) should have had a loadup opportunity of at least 300 most popular Xbox 360 & PS3 titles ready on their cloud servers to access. That certainly would have rewarded those users with "Steam" like discounts and "XBLFWG" incentives. And it would have helped create a very sustainable launch. As more wait & see people would have a reason to buy earlier than planned. So IMO they should have at least tried some of the excellent Last gen titles like Kingdoms of Amalur...Timeshift...Darksiders 1 & 2 and others to support the launch. Titles that may have had disappointing sales. But would look & play great on the new consoles. A lot of people didn't buy those games but have high interest in playing them on the cheap anyway. Most will keep their older consoles as their main game machines for years because of this. But would love to play them on XB1 if they got them free or with major PC type discounts.

The PS4 games available with PS+ are day one releases. So no one has already bought it, so it is not penalizing the PS4 user.
February it is Outlast , January was Don't Starve.December and November were Resogun and Contrast.

So Sony is taking care of its new adopters -- MS should also be able to do something.
post #134 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

they've been getting better. really loved that Sleeping Dogs was included. always wanted to have that but never got around to buying it. most of the other GWG, I already had owned (except for some of those arcade ones) so they didn't help me much.

but February will be great! I've also wanted to own Dead Island so looking forward to that. And read great reviews for Toy Soldiers (if it's the one I'm remembering) so that'll be a good one. But sadly, my 360 HDD is completely full and I'm really having to manage space wisely. In fact, lots of the GWG games have not actually been downloaded (they're just in my purchase history) due to lack of space. and nearly all of the games no longer have disc images on the HDD (so I have to deal with slower loading, drive thrashing, etc.).

I'm in the exact same boat! My HDD is completely full and I'm basically having to delete old games to make room for new ones or the games piling up in my download queue. But, I'm glad to know they're around when I want them.

As for Toy Soldiers: Cold War, it's GREAT! A really fun send-up of classic 80s movies like Top Gun, Rambo, etc. Plenty of arcade fun. Highly recommended.
post #135 of 135
Xbox Live Gold Members get Civilization Revolution and Dungeon Defenders Free in March

Really enjoyed CivRev [rare 1000/1000]... guess I won't have to toss a disc in for a quick game anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Xbox Live 'Games With Gold'