or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › Buy projector first...test it...then buy right size screen??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buy projector first...test it...then buy right size screen??

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
About to purchase a Mitsubishi HC4000 and not sure what size screen fits my room best. Would it be strange to mount the projector, light up the wall and try out different image sizes to see what fits my room best, then buy the appropriate sized fixed screen?

Just not comfortable buying a 'package deal' with a particular screen size and finding out it doesn't work well in my room.

Thoughts?
post #2 of 12
Not a bad idea at all. Another thing people often do, is just use blue painters tape and outline the proposed screen dimensions on their wall. Usually you can get a good idea of the size just from doing this.



from
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptus-not-bigmouthindc-and-nygiantsfan23-launch-another-avs-ht
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Didn't consider tape...thanks!!
post #4 of 12
You may want to just use a table to do your testing rather than mounting it
post #5 of 12
both ideas a great tape or projecting to wall and see what you like ....
always go a little bigger then what you think looks right , when i used tape i thought for sure 115" wide was plenty big but ended up going 120" wide so happy that did.
post #6 of 12

I don't recommend throw it on the wall and see the size method.  It doesn't account for that bulbs lose more than 50% of their brightness over their lifespan.  So what looks great now, won't after you get some hours on the bulb.  Bulbs tend to lose about 25% brightness in the first 500 hours and then gradually decrease over the remainder of their life.  The size screen also depends on the type of screen and what gain the screen has.  This should be chosen on your room characteristics and viewing habits.  Are you going to watch with lights on?  Color of walls and ceiling?  Picture quality also depends on your viewing preference.  You can start out in best picture quality mode and the change to brighter but not as good picture quality modes as the picture dims.

 

 Also, I don't recommend sacrificing audio by going too big where it makes for poor speaker placement. You have some factors to consider in your choice of screen and size for your situation.

post #7 of 12
Your eyes are amazing by design. As the bulb ages, and dims, your eyes adjust right along with it. You don't really notice the dimming effect till it reaches a certain threshold. The bigger the screen, the sooner you'll need to change the bulb. Because of my screen size, I have to change my bulb any where from a 1000-2000 hours, bulb quality control issues.

I would use the 'wall' technique only to get size preference. If you do like a bigger picture and audio becomes hard to place.....you could always go with a false wall and an AT screen (not sure the type of room you have). Just a thought.

I agree with BobL on the other factors.
post #8 of 12
I just spent several hours viewing material without the screen to figure out the ideal size for my HT. The "tape method" really doesn't tell you all that much, and frankly the first couple hours of viewing don't either. In my case I got a package deal with an agreed upon upgrade charge if I decided to go with the bigger screen. I brought the projector and mount home on the Tuesday with the intention of picking up the screen on the coming week-end. It wasn't until the Friday night after several hours that I felt I should go with the larger of two sizes I had in mind. It was a good decision that was made easier by watching a variety of content.
post #9 of 12
Just to echo BobL's point above about speaker placement. In my case I narrowed my choice down to two sizes based on speaker placement FIRST, my decision about the two sizes was based on figuring out where I felt most comfortable with the balance between immersion and a relaxing viewing experience. In my case I found that the larger size was much more comfortable to follow after a couple movies.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

Just to echo BobL's point above about speaker placement. In my case I narrowed my choice down to two sizes based on speaker placement FIRST, my decision about the two sizes was based on figuring out where I felt most comfortable with the balance between immersion and a relaxing viewing experience. In my case I found that the larger size was much more comfortable to follow after a couple movies.

Care to elaborate a bit on your screen size choices, seating distance and your subjective decision considerations? confused.gif


...Glenn smile.gif
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Care to elaborate a bit on your screen size choices, seating distance and your subjective decision considerations? confused.gif


...Glenn smile.gif


This thread pretty much covers my situation from every angle!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479014/screen-size-help-how-did-your-perception-change-over-time


To quickly summarize:
1) My 14' wide screen wall, my low ceiling height of 7', my desire to have a low AV cabinet below the screen, and my desire to place my tower RF & LF speakers at least 2' from the side wall limited screen size to 108" 16x9. And the position of my side surrounds made it so my viewing distance would be no more than 12'.

2) The decision I had was between 108" & 100", doesn't sound like much but from less than 12' its a significant difference

3) Having gotten used to our 58" plasma upstairs I initially found even a 100" screen overwhelming from that distance, but after a few hours I was comfortable with the larger 108" screen.

4) I found that the 100" screen was easier to follow and that the image appeared a bit sharper (placebo effect?) but the "wow factor" and immersion from the 108" screen won over and I'm happy with the choice.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

This thread pretty much covers my situation from every angle!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479014/screen-size-help-how-did-your-perception-change-over-time


To quickly summarize:
1) My 14' wide screen wall, my low ceiling height of 7', my desire to have a low AV cabinet below the screen, and my desire to place my tower RF & LF speakers at least 2' from the side wall limited screen size to 108" 16x9. And the position of my side surrounds made it so my viewing distance would be no more than 12'.

2) The decision I had was between 108" & 100", doesn't sound like much but from less than 12' its a significant difference

3) Having gotten used to our 58" plasma upstairs I initially found even a 100" screen overwhelming from that distance, but after a few hours I was comfortable with the larger 108" screen.

4) I found that the 100" screen was easier to follow and that the image appeared a bit sharper (placebo effect?) but the "wow factor" and immersion from the 108" screen won over and I'm happy with the choice.



Thanks for the insight as I also sit at about 12 feet and still have to finalize my screen size!


...Glenn smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › Buy projector first...test it...then buy right size screen??