or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Finally Replacing my URC MX-900
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Finally Replacing my URC MX-900

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I have loved my MX-900 for the incredible power of its programmability, its online updatable database, its RF performance (with a base station), and its great hand feel. However, my select button is going on me. I need to replace it.

Money is not really an object, although I don't want something too flashy. I also don't mind something that takes work to setup, as long as it takes no work to use it. Is there a consensus on the best option(s) today?

Thanks.
post #2 of 7
I'm in the same boat with my MX-700 remote (9 years old?). Select button is going. I haven't been able to find a suitable new remote. Options I've been looking into:

1) Buy a new URC remote. Nope, can't do that anymore, unless you want to pay someone else hundreds to program it for you.
2) Buy a Harmony remote. Nope, all the new ones have poor reviews, and you can't program macros.
3) Buy the discontinued Harmony One (good reviews, macros, $200 MSRP). Nope. Oh, you can find it on Amazon, but you have to be willing to spend $390.

I think I'll try punching through the select button to the enter button, or one of the programmable buttons, and hope no other buttons wear out before someone makes a decent remote.

Am I missing other options? Is there a good remote out there that can handle macros, and I don't have to pay someone else to program for me?
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

I'm in the same boat with my MX-700 remote (9 years old?). Select button is going. I haven't been able to find a suitable new remote. Options I've been looking into:

1) Buy a new URC remote. Nope, can't do that anymore, unless you want to pay someone else hundreds to program it for you.
2) Buy a Harmony remote. Nope, all the new ones have poor reviews, and you can't program macros.
3) Buy the discontinued Harmony One (good reviews, macros, $200 MSRP). Nope. Oh, you can find it on Amazon, but you have to be willing to spend $390.

I think I'll try punching through the select button to the enter button, or one of the programmable buttons, and hope no other buttons wear out before someone makes a decent remote.

Am I missing other options? Is there a good remote out there that can handle macros, and I don't have to pay someone else to program for me?

There are many used mx-700, mx-800, and mx-850's on ebay, which all will use the same PC programming software you already have.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post

I have loved my MX-900 for the incredible power of its programmability, its online updatable database, its RF performance (with a base station), and its great hand feel. However, my select button is going on me. I need to replace it.

Money is not really an object, although I don't want something too flashy. I also don't mind something that takes work to setup, as long as it takes no work to use it. Is there a consensus on the best option(s) today?

Thanks.

If you have CCP software for your mx-900, do a ebay search for x-7 remote, many are going off cheap. the x-7 is same remote has the mx-780, reason is the bestbuy doesn't have to the price match mx780 on line.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

If you have CCP software for your mx-900, do a ebay search for x-7 remote, many are going off cheap. the x-7 is same remote has the mx-780, reason is the bestbuy doesn't have to the price match mx780 on line.

Hi Edmund. What is CCP software? Where does one get it?
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Hi Edmund. What is CCP software? Where does one get it?

You don't, it has to come from an authorized dealer, that's if they release to you, its up to them. CCP stands Complete Control Program, used to program such URC branded remotes as mx-880, mx900, mx1200, mx780, x-7, mx890, mx-980.
post #7 of 7
If you search online for a bit it's not too hard to find URC's Complete Control Program (CCP). URC's official policy is that it depends entirely on their authorized retailers whether or not to release the software to a customer. Some installers are hesitant to do so because it kills an easy profit center for them. Most DIY enthusiasts can figure out how to program their remotes pretty quickly once they have the software and some time to play around with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Finally Replacing my URC MX-900