or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › I need help please this is my first time with home theaters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need help please this is my first time with home theaters

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I've been researching over and over for about 2 weeks i also read a lot of information about av receivers and speaker systems and i set my mind on a 5.1 setup due to my room size and i think its 12x10x10 not really sure which ones are length or the width anyway my budget is around 750$ so i started to look for av receivers and then i stopped and decided to look for speakers first and here is what it came for

1-Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 60 5.1CH Home Audio Speaker System ( Newegg) 249.99
2-Energy Take Classic 5.1CH Premium Home Theater System also at Newegg for 299.99
though am leaning toward The Def Tech due to budget concerns .

So now for the receivers section and this is where i spent my 2 weeks researching over and over until i decided to make a post and seek help from you guys because every time i look up a term or look for information about products i end up here in this website so i figured someone here will help me with my case
So from what i gathered i need to look for a AV Receiver that matches my needs and will be compatible with the speaker system that i chose which is the Def Tech
so this is all the options that i was considering

1-Sony STR-DN1030, STR-DN840
2-Onkyo TX-NR616,TX-NR626 7.2,TX-NR717 7.2,TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2,TX-NR709 7.2
3-Pioneer VSX-1123-K
4-Denon AVR-E400 7.1 Channel , Denon AVR-2313CI
5-Harman Kardon AVR 3650 7.1-Channel
6-Yamaha RX-V675BL
so now am kinda lost here all these receivers seem compatible with my speakers but some of them say (1kHz, 1ch driven) (X) Watt (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) (X) Watt (8ohms, 0.9% THD) And some of them say
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) (X) Watt (8ohms, 0.09% THD) or even (0.08%THD)

So my understanding is that i need to look for 20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven or all ch driven 100+ watt RMS (0.08% THD or less) so i can be able to power those speakers and get the most out of them but the problem is some of these brands doesn't state how much Watt RMS they output instead they would say its for example 175W per Channel 8 ohms, 1kHz, 0.8% THD, 2-ch. driven and that doesn't really tell the truth also some if not all of these brands got a lot of features that I am interested in but lets say they have a high rate of failure and I've been reading all kind of stories and reviews on all these brands i just can't get to the Right AV Receiver that serves my needs within my Budget Oh BTW am gonna be connecting the home theater to my high end PC and hook my bluray player, PS3,Xbox360,and a couple other inputs .

So please help me make a wise Decision and get this **** over with smile.gif cuz am tired of searching over and over without finding the right one.

Sorry if i took too long explaining things but i really want this to work properly

Thanks for taking the time to read my case any replies would be appreciated
post #2 of 29
Any of those Onkyos would be more than enough for those cheap speakers. Minus any additional requirements you may have the 616 would be good, even a 515 if budget is an issue.
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar4good View Post

I've been researching over and over for about 2 weeks i also read a lot of information about av receivers and speaker systems and i set my mind on a 5.1 setup due to my room size and i think its 12x10x10 not really sure which ones are length or the width anyway my budget is around 750$ so i started to look for av receivers and then i stopped and decided to look for speakers first and here is what it came for

1-Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 60 5.1CH Home Audio Speaker System ( Newegg) 249.99
2-Energy Take Classic 5.1CH Premium Home Theater System also at Newegg for 299.99
though am leaning toward The Def Tech due to budget concerns .

So now for the receivers section and this is where i spent my 2 weeks researching over and over until i decided to make a post and seek help from you guys because every time i look up a term or look for information about products i end up here in this website so i figured someone here will help me with my case
So from what i gathered i need to look for a AV Receiver that matches my needs and will be compatible with the speaker system that i chose which is the Def Tech
so this is all the options that i was considering

1-Sony STR-DN1030, STR-DN840
2-Onkyo TX-NR616,TX-NR626 7.2,TX-NR717 7.2,TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2,TX-NR709 7.2
3-Pioneer VSX-1123-K
4-Denon AVR-E400 7.1 Channel , Denon AVR-2313CI
5-Harman Kardon AVR 3650 7.1-Channel
6-Yamaha RX-V675BL
so now am kinda lost here all these receivers seem compatible with my speakers but some of them say (1kHz, 1ch driven) (X) Watt (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) (X) Watt (8ohms, 0.9% THD) And some of them say
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) (X) Watt (8ohms, 0.09% THD) or even (0.08%THD)

So my understanding is that i need to look for 20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven or all ch driven 100+ watt RMS (0.08% THD or less) so i can be able to power those speakers and get the most out of them but the problem is some of these brands doesn't state how much Watt RMS they output instead they would say its for example 175W per Channel 8 ohms, 1kHz, 0.8% THD, 2-ch. driven and that doesn't really tell the truth also some if not all of these brands got a lot of features that I am interested in but lets say they have a high rate of failure and I've been reading all kind of stories and reviews on all these brands i just can't get to the Right AV Receiver that serves my needs within my Budget Oh BTW am gonna be connecting the home theater to my high end PC and hook my bluray player, PS3,Xbox360,and a couple other inputs .

So please help me make a wise Decision and get this **** over with smile.gif cuz am tired of searching over and over without finding the right one.

Sorry if i took too long explaining things but i really want this to work properly

Thanks for taking the time to read my case any replies would be appreciated

With your budget, I would suggest something like a Denon AVR-E300 on sale at Paul's TV for $250. It is a 5.1 receiver, which is what you need for your room with Audyssey MultEq room correction.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6133230-Denon-AVR-E300-5-1-Channel-3D-Pass-Through-and-Networking-Home-Theater-Receiver-with-AirPlay-250-w-FS

A Klipsch sub would be a good choice for your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

A pair of these Pioneers for fronts:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/5086955.p?id=1218610014045&skuId=5086955&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5086955&extensionType=%7Badtype%7D:%7Bnetwork%7D&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!%7Bkeyword%7D!%7Bmatchtype%7D!%7Badwords_producttargetid%7D!%7Bnetwork%7D!%7Bifmobile:M%7D!%7Bcreative%7D&kpid=5086955&k_clickid=7936a3de-85a3-f108-53d0-000059577841&gclid=CMHdwLDEmLgCFbFAMgod724A7Q

This Pioneer for a center channel:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/5086955.p?id=1218610014045&skuId=5086955&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5086955&extensionType=%7Badtype%7D:%7Bnetwork%7D&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!%7Bkeyword%7D!%7Bmatchtype%7D!%7Badwords_producttargetid%7D!%7Bnetwork%7D!%7Bifmobile:M%7D!%7Bcreative%7D&kpid=5086955&k_clickid=7936a3de-85a3-f108-53d0-000059577841&gclid=CMHdwLDEmLgCFbFAMgod724A7Q

This will give you a decent 3.1 system, then add a second pair of the Pioneer for surrounds when you save up some more money.

Or bust your budget by a few bucks and get a second pair now.

This is just one option.

Buying speakers and a sub like this will generally give you better performance and more versatility than buying those packages that are all in one box.
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

With your budget, I would suggest something like a Denon AVR-E300 on sale at Paul's TV for $250. It is a 5.1 receiver, which is what you need for your room with Audyssey MultEq room correction.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6133230-Denon-AVR-E300-5-1-Channel-3D-Pass-Through-and-Networking-Home-Theater-Receiver-with-AirPlay-250-w-FS

A Klipsch sub would be a good choice for your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

A pair of these Pioneers for fronts:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/5086955.p?id=1218610014045&skuId=5086955&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5086955&extensionType=%7Badtype%7D:%7Bnetwork%7D&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!%7Bkeyword%7D!%7Bmatchtype%7D!%7Badwords_producttargetid%7D!%7Bnetwork%7D!%7Bifmobile:M%7D!%7Bcreative%7D&kpid=5086955&k_clickid=7936a3de-85a3-f108-53d0-000059577841&gclid=CMHdwLDEmLgCFbFAMgod724A7Q

This Pioneer for a center channel:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/5086955.p?id=1218610014045&skuId=5086955&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5086955&extensionType=%7Badtype%7D:%7Bnetwork%7D&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!%7Bkeyword%7D!%7Bmatchtype%7D!%7Badwords_producttargetid%7D!%7Bnetwork%7D!%7Bifmobile:M%7D!%7Bcreative%7D&kpid=5086955&k_clickid=7936a3de-85a3-f108-53d0-000059577841&gclid=CMHdwLDEmLgCFbFAMgod724A7Q

This will give you a decent 3.1 system, then add a second pair of the Pioneer for surrounds when you save up some more money.

Or bust your budget by a few bucks and get a second pair now.

This is just one option.

Buying speakers and a sub like this will generally give you better performance and more versatility than buying those packages that are all in one box.

Thanks for responding back and I like the setup but don't you think I should invest in a better receiver so I can maybe upgrade to 7.1 in the near future,also am planning on buying the receiver from bestbuy due to reliability issues( I don't have to deal with shipping the stuff back and forth)
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar4good View Post

Thanks for responding back and I like the setup but don't you think I should invest in a better receiver so I can maybe upgrade to 7.1 in the near future,also am planning on buying the receiver from bestbuy due to reliability issues( I don't have to deal with shipping the stuff back and forth)

In your current room, having 7 speakers would be difficult. Also, keep in mind that there is very little 7.1 programming out there.

As for reliability issues, Denon is a good brand, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Pau's TV is an authorized dealer and they do have brick and mortar locations.

May I ask where you are located, please?
post #6 of 29
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

In your current room, having 7 speakers would be difficult. Also, keep in mind that there is very little 7.1 programming out there.

As for reliability issues, Denon is a good brand, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Pau's TV is an authorized dealer and they do have brick and mortar locations.

May I ask where you are located, please?
I am located in Jacksonville Florida
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Bookmark this:
http://www.avsforum.com/f/122/great-found-deals

Awesome thanks
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Any of those Onkyos would be more than enough for those cheap speakers. Minus any additional requirements you may have the 616 would be good, even a 515 if budget is an issue.

What kind of setup do you have.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar4good View Post

What kind of setup do you have.

Right now I'm working on a setup with an Onkyo TX-NR809 with Infinity P363 fronts, PC351 center, and P163 surrounds. Upstairs I have a TX-NR708 with Infinity TPII speaker set and a (currently out of commission) PS210 sub.
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Right now I'm working on a setup with an Onkyo TX-NR809 with Infinity P363 fronts, PC351 center, and P163 surrounds. Upstairs I have a TX-NR708 with Infinity TPII speaker set and a (currently out of commission) PS210 sub.

I see that you got two Onkyos is true that they have a high failure rate.
post #12 of 29
Well, back when I had a 606 it had a bad HDMI board. Very common problem for that model. Onkyo fixed it for free.

My 708 had the remote sensor problem. Again very common for that model. Onkyo fixed it for free.
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
I got another question for you guys how much would the home theater system setup would add to the electric bill let's say for about 2 hours of use everyday
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar4good View Post

I got another question for you guys how much would the home theater system setup would add to the electric bill let's say for about 2 hours of use everyday

Here you go:

This is for three movies a week at two hours, so multiply it by 2.33

http://www.sparkenergy.com/blog/2012/april/electricity-costs-to-run-home-entertainment-system/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=electricityusagetv&utm_campaign=clp

That is less than $50 a year.
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

Here you go:

This is for three movies a week at two hours, so multiply it by 2.33

http://www.sparkenergy.com/blog/2012/april/electricity-costs-to-run-home-entertainment-system/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=electricityusagetv&utm_campaign=clp

That is less than $50 a year.


Dam! That's like nothing.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar4good View Post




Dam! That's like nothing.

True; which is why you don't hear much about it.
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
Anybody can tell me what does brick and mortar means.
post #18 of 29

A physical store, into which you can actually walk and make a purchase.

post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
i decided to go with Denon - 1295W 7.1-Ch. 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver but could someone please explain to me the use of ( 6 and 8 ohms ).smile.gif
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar4good View Post

could someone please explain to me the use of ( 6 and 8 ohms ).smile.gif

Its the measurement of the electrical impedence of your speakers. The most common off the shelf speakers are probably 8 ohm but they will be marked on the back what they're rated as.
post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Its the measurement of the electrical impedence of your speakers. The most common off the shelf speakers are probably 8 ohm but they will be marked on the back what they're rated as.

Am thinking of buying poineer SP-BS22-LR and it says 6 ohm on the back so does that make any difference?
post #22 of 29
Im not familiar with the receiver you are using but you should be ok. My receiver has a setting that needs to be changed if using speakers with an impedance less than 6 ohm, that Denon probably has something similar. Might want to look through the specs or the manual.
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Im not familiar with the receiver you are using but you should be ok. My receiver has a setting that needs to be changed if using speakers with an impedance less than 6 ohm, that Denon probably has something similar. Might want to look through the specs or the manual.

Yeah it says 90 watt @ 8 ohm and 125 watt @ 6 ohm maximum output is 185 watt per channel
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
OK guys i got the Denon E 400 7.1 and i got it connected to my PC and PS3 Via HDMI and everything is working good except for when i use the remote Control to shut off the Receiver My PC shuts off too and it doesn't shuts it off properly it just cuts the power off and i think this is not Right Also when the Receiver is off i can't turn The PC ON i have to Turn the Receiver ON First Then i can Turn The PC ON

so can somebody hook me up with some solutions .

thanks:)
post #25 of 29
Are you using a 'Smart' type power strip with the AVR plugged into the control socket?
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Are you using a 'Smart' type power strip with the AVR plugged into the control socket?
I am Not really sure what you mean .
But when i bought the equipment from BestBuy also got power surge protector
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PowerCenter+8-Outlet+Surge+Protector/9812645.p?id=1218177897445&skuId=9812645&st=surge%20protector&cp=1&lp=1 if that helps
post #27 of 29
Reading the comments on that product it sounds like a common issue, related to its "GreenPower" feature. It turns power off to outlets when the connected component is not in use. Make sure everything is connected to the right outlet.

Honestly, I wouldn't connect a PC to any powerstrip that cuts off power to outlets for any reason.
post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Reading the comments on that product it sounds like a common issue, related to its "GreenPower" feature. It turns power off to outlets when the connected component is not in use. Make sure everything is connected to the right outlet.

Honestly, I wouldn't connect a PC to any powerstrip that cuts off power to outlets for any reason.
Cool I really didn't know about that all I knew is I needed a surge protector for the home theater and I thought might as well connect the PC to it but in this case I'll plug the pc somewhere else Thanks a lot BTW
post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 
OK guys i have a small problem that i started having and i can seem to tell whats going on , sometimes when i start my PC and the home theater setup my screen start flickering and goes black for 5 to 10 seconds and goes back and forth and some other times during watching a movie or during playing a video game , now this started to happens after i got the home theater setup but it could be unrelated so after i got my DVR there was a firmware update so i updated it and thing were smooth then like 2 weeks pass by then i started to have those flickering issues then right after the flicking started say maybe a day or two another firmware poped up so i updated but the flickering is still happening from time to time so i don't know whats the problem but my setup is Denon AVR-E400 hooked up to two bookshelf speakers ( its a ongoing project ) and my PC Specs are Intel i5 2500k 3.30Ghz 8GB ram, GTX 680 SC edition ,1000 watt PSU,and am using 120GB SSD for the operating system ( Windows 7 ) and another SSD for the games oh and the temperature of the video card is 60 C on max and the CPU 57 C on max so its cool inside And whenever that flickering happens you know when you Plug in a USB flash drive in the USB port that sound that the PC make that's the exact same sound that occur when the flickering happens.

so if you can help let me know or if you anybody that have had a similar issue please don't hesitate to post it
thanks guys for everything.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › I need help please this is my first time with home theaters