or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Time to VOTE!! HSU vs Ascend vs Arx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time to VOTE!! HSU vs Ascend vs Arx - Page 5

post #121 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus221 View Post

...I should ask the question "Why did you choose your Ascend or HSU speakers" ....

I got tired of reading forums, flipped a coin and ordered HSU's. I inquired about sending them back so I could try the Ascends, but I would eat the initial shipping ($80) and the return shipping ($76). Initially I was very satisfied, but then I did the wrong thing and kept reading forums and began to second guess my decision. I would love to hear the Ascends to compare directly, but not for $156.

If I had to do it again I would order a A CMT-340 SE Center and a pair of CBM-170 SE's. Then If I really like them I would order another set of 170's for the surrounds, or if I wanted louder I would order a pair of 340's for the L/R and move the 170's to surround duty.

Chances are, I would then question if I should have gone with HSUs. biggrin.gif

In the end, order a set and enjoy them. After all that is what is important. Convincing somebody on a forum that your speaker is the best choice for them is not what is important. You will notice most knowledgeable people on here say, "Hey, I liked this speaker set a lot, but your results may vary"
post #122 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

More dynamic means it can stay clean at louder playback level, and the peaks will not be as compressed. More sensitive is kind of a corollary, that means it takes less amplification for the same loudness. If you are more into detail, it sounds like you should probably go with the Ascends, but if you are into dynamic range, sounds like you should go for the Hsus. I do own the Hsus, and to my ears the grill makes no difference on the sound. Others I have talked to say the same thing. Personally I leave the grills off, I just think the speakers look better with grills off.
shady...I agree with this, but are you saying the Hsus are more dynamic than the Ascends? If so, why?
post #123 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Has hdnewbie21 actually heard both speakers, or was he just summarizing the thread?

No I haven't. I was trying to draw conclusions from reviews, not the thread. The thread doesn't offer much about why you like one or the other, it turned into a popularity contest. I also posted this:
Quote:
The only thing closer to a head to head that I found was from "a review" from "a guy" in Amazon. He compared those and other speakers to the Cambridge S30. Sure, not the most reliable, but at the very least he sounded like he knew what he was talking about, so I extrapolated from there. A bit of a stretch, I know, but at least it gets us back to the topic, which is to offer points of reference that can help guide the OP. http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=avsforum00-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Freview%2FRTJS5HPPB37NR%2Fref%3Dcm_cr_pr_cmt%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ASIN%3DB004NDN9NK%26linkCode%3D%26nodeID%3D%26tag%3D
post #124 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Has hdnewbie21 actually heard both speakers, or was he just summarizing the thread?

He's summarizing his reading of different threads and this one Amazon review.
post #125 of 151
Also, not sure how can this be interpreted, but one user here in AVS said HSU advised them against using the H1C MK2 (MTM) as mains. Another poster said the soundstage gained when when upgrading from the 170 SE to the 340 SE was huge to make it worth it.

I Don't know if a set of two HB-1 MK2s and one HC-1 MK2 compares to a set of three 340 SEs, except the the former is cheaper, and as is, it is widely praised for soundstage in that configuration. I don't know if two 170 SEs with one 340 SE center would provide similar soundstage.
post #126 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

shady...I agree with this, but are you saying the Hsus are more dynamic than the Ascends? If so, why?

I was explaining the term dynamic range, I don't know that the Hsus are more dynamic, although I think that is definitely possible.
post #127 of 151
OK...I understand where everyone is coming from now.

To the OP...where do you live? Maybe you can find owners that will allow you a listen.

I understand not wanting to bite the shipping bullet, but I do think using the trial periods and listening for extended periods in the comfort of your own space is best. To make that easier, maybe just concentrate on the L/R speakers.
post #128 of 151
Thread Starter 
I think I have made my decision! I would like to go with the Ascend and Rythmik package!!! biggrin.gif Its seems more in line with what I am going for sound wise. Only issue is that I may have pulled the trigger too late because it will now cost me $1755 to get the package frown.gif. Any ideas when they will go on sale again?
post #129 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus221 View Post

I think I have made my decision! I would like to go with the Ascend and Rythmik package!!! biggrin.gif Its seems more in line with what I am going for sound wise. Only issue is that I may have pulled the trigger too late because it will now cost me $1755 to get the package frown.gif. Any ideas when they will go on sale again?

Didn't you just miss the deadline this weekend AFTER you started this thread? If so, call them first thing tomorrow, reference this thread, and say you got derailed in making your decision by Brian (which is true). Could be that Dave F will be sympathetic. Certainly worth a try smile.gif
post #130 of 151
+1 ^^
post #131 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

..... and say you got derailed in making your decision by Brian (which is true). Could be that Dave F will be sympathetic. Certainly worth a try smile.gif

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #132 of 151
What's ironic, if it weren't for Brian, HSU might have won the bid.

Nexus221, don't forget to come back and give us your review. (and if you can, please make a youtube video so we can hear how they sound, lol)
post #133 of 151
Oh great!!!! I was hoping a final decision. Now everyone can sleep better lol.this was a nightmare ....
post #134 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus221 View Post

I think I have made my decision! I would like to go with the Ascend and Rythmik package!!! biggrin.gif Its seems more in line with what I am going for sound wise. Only issue is that I may have pulled the trigger too late because it will now cost me $1755 to get the package frown.gif. Any ideas when they will go on sale again?
Didn't you just miss the deadline this weekend AFTER you started this thread? If so, call them first thing tomorrow, reference this thread, and say you got derailed in making your decision by Brian (which is true). Could be that Dave F will be sympathetic. Certainly worth a try smile.gif

At checkout, just use coupon code "BRIAN" biggrin.gif

There are a few Ascend threads going on right now, this could be quite the marketing pitch from Ascend for short-term sales. A special July Girly Speaker Sales Event.

OK, maybe not.
post #135 of 151
Thread Starter 
I will Try! I am kicking myself so hard now because I missed the sale and didn't even realize there was one going on to be honest. I hope Ascend will show me mercy when I call them today. Waiting untill 1:30pm EST is going to be hard tho. eek.gif
post #136 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus221 View Post

I will Try! I am kicking myself so hard now because I missed the sale and didn't even realize there was one going on to be honest. I hope Ascend will show me mercy when I call them today. Waiting untill 1:30pm EST is going to be hard tho. eek.gif

and if not....you can always go and purchase HSU or Arx or....wait.. biggrin.gif
post #137 of 151
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478626/ascend-acoustic-5-1-setup-review

Here's my review of 170-340 difference if your intrested
post #138 of 151
Yes, I read your review a while back, and David F confirmed 340 being a sort of a different than the 170 SE which would explain the enhance experience when you upgraded. Some other poster mentioned He wanted to the same with his HSU, having the HC-1 as mains, but he was talked out of it by HSU and advised to keep HB-1 as mains. It leads me to believe the only difference between those two is the additional woofer that may affect the sound output more than the sound characteristics and I wonder if the HB-1 would be more closely compared to the 340 SE rather than the 170 SE for that reason.
post #139 of 151
Thread Starter 
You awesome review makes me want to get the Speakers even more! biggrin.gif I am sure hoping I can get in touch with Ascend today to get these awesome speakers and Sub in my house Soon!
post #140 of 151
Just to add, I've had 3x 340SEs and 2x 170SEs for about 6~ years now, and they have been fantastic, for both music and movies. I had them paired with a Hsu VTF3 Mk2 until this year when I sold my sub (we moved to an apartment, I'll get a new/bigger sub when we move back into a house).

I run them with a Sony 5300ES receiver, and at least at the old house I had acoustic panels and bass traps in the corners (your room determines about 50%~ of the sound you hear by the team it goes from the speaker to your ears), and I ran a BFD (Behringer Feedback Destroyer) as an eq for the sub. With a Panasonic projector and 100" screen (11 foot viewing distance), it was better than most movie theaters.
post #141 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus221 View Post

You awesome review makes me want to get the Speakers even more! biggrin.gif I am sure hoping I can get in touch with Ascend today to get these awesome speakers and Sub in my house Soon!

It will def me a treat;)
post #142 of 151
Did you got your discount ?if not they just s___.
post #143 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Nearly every top performing dome tweeter available (SEAS Excel, Scan Speak, Eton, Morel, Dyn.. etc.) use damping chambers behind the diaphragm and the main reason is typically not to lower Fs (although that is a beneficial consequence), but to better damp/eliminate the backwave produced by the dome, which improves clarity / detail / time domain response....
Dome tweeters are essentially cone drivers, and a rear chamber is to a dome tweeter as a sealed enclosure is to a midrange, woofer or sub driver. Just as with larger drivers the overall response of the tweeter can be tailored by the size of the rear chamber. A larger rear chamber doesn't damp the backwave, that must be accomplished by lining the chamber with damping material. The larger the chamber, the lower the frequency that must be damped. That's because destructive reflections occur when the distance from the dome to the rear of the chamber approaches 1/4 wavelength, so the larger the chamber the more issues there are with destructive reflections, not less. Conversely, the smaller the chamber, the shorter the return path, and the less the need for damping, so the damping can be made thinner, or even eliminated. The smallest rear chambers are found in horn drivers, which usually are machined to the shape of the dome, and the depth of the chamber behind the dome is on the order of only a millimeter or two. Doing so eliminates any internal reflection issues, as 2mm is 1/4 wavelength at about 50kHz. Making the chamber that small does lessen response in the low end of the passband, but with a horn that's down to compensate for the low pass function of the horn. .
post #144 of 151
I won't vote since I have not heard the Hsu or the Arx. I had the Ascend 170s, 340 Center, and the MTM200s. Loved the clarity. Unfortunately they were destroyed in a fire so I will be speaker shopping again at some point. Might audition the Hsu's this time. They always intrigued me. Will likely get a Hsu sub this time.

Hope the Op enjoys his Ascends.
post #145 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Didn't you just miss the deadline this weekend AFTER you started this thread? If so, call them first thing tomorrow, reference this thread, and say you got derailed in making your decision by Brian (which is true). Could be that Dave F will be sympathetic. Certainly worth a try smile.gif

After reading through this thread, I had a good laugh at that ^
 

What was the end result here? Is OP gonna post about his experience with  his Ascend 5.1? Will Superman save the bus full of kids or the sinking ship full of nuns first? 

post #146 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaforce87 View Post

After reading through this thread, I had a good laugh at that ^

 
What was the end result here? Is OP gonna post about his experience with  his Ascend 5.1? Will Superman save the bus full of kids or the sinking ship full of nuns first? 

Ain't it weird? The dude writes a ton of posts, says he's going to call/maybe order, then disappears!
post #147 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

Ain't it weird? The dude writes a ton of posts, says he's going to call/maybe order, then disappears!

Something may have happened to him, should we be worried!?
post #148 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Nearly every top performing dome tweeter available (SEAS Excel, Scan Speak, Eton, Morel, Dyn.. etc.) use damping chambers behind the diaphragm and the main reason is typically not to lower Fs (although that is a beneficial consequence), but to better damp/eliminate the backwave produced by the dome, which improves clarity / detail / time domain response....
Dome tweeters are essentially cone drivers, and a rear chamber is to a dome tweeter as a sealed enclosure is to a midrange, woofer or sub driver. Just as with larger drivers the overall response of the tweeter can be tailored by the size of the rear chamber. A larger rear chamber doesn't damp the backwave, that must be accomplished by lining the chamber with damping material. The larger the chamber, the lower the frequency that must be damped. That's because destructive reflections occur when the distance from the dome to the rear of the chamber approaches 1/4 wavelength, so the larger the chamber the more issues there are with destructive reflections, not less. Conversely, the smaller the chamber, the shorter the return path, and the less the need for damping, so the damping can be made thinner, or even eliminated. The smallest rear chambers are found in horn drivers, which usually are machined to the shape of the dome, and the depth of the chamber behind the dome is on the order of only a millimeter or two. Doing so eliminates any internal reflection issues, as 2mm is 1/4 wavelength at about 50kHz. Making the chamber that small does lessen response in the low end of the passband, but with a horn that's down to compensate for the low pass function of the horn. .

+1.

Why do you think that people are interested in extending the LF response of dome tweeters? That appears to be the most significant benefit of the larger back chambers. Providing them does not seem to usually involve a lot of expense or trouble.
post #149 of 151
Haha looks like I opened the can of worms back up.
Well to whom it may concern I ordered the 5.2 HT package from ascend today. 3x340 2x170 and 2xfv15hp subs. I get back from deployment in late December and I'll be sure to add another good Ascend review here for everyone. Very excited.
post #150 of 151
USA, thanks for you service to this country, stay safe and yes, please let us know about your system when you return. I love the Ascend CMT340s!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Time to VOTE!! HSU vs Ascend vs Arx