or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lovelace

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
Here is the trailer:

post #2 of 47
Must-see! wink.gif
post #3 of 47
I was in a band that played for a weekly Seattle area TV show and Linda Lovelace was a guest. Except that the host taped that segment beforehand so she wasn't then when we were. mad.gif
post #4 of 47
Although I usually enjoy Amanda Seyfried's performances, I intend to avoid her latest starring role, Lovelace. I cannot imagine a more dreary and off-putting story than Linda Lovelace's life. The early IMDb votes aren't encouraging, either, several hundred early voters have given the film an average score of 6.4 out of 10. The film's talented ensemble cast of first class actors would usually be enough to convince me to take chance. Not, here, though. The trailer simply reinforced what a sad and unappealing life Lovelace lived before dying at the age of 53.
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Although I usually enjoy Amanda Seyfried's performances, I intend to avoid her latest starring role, Lovelace. I cannot imagine a more dreary and off-putting story than Linda Lovelace's life. The early IMDb votes aren't encouraging, either, several hundred early voters have given the film an average score of 6.4 out of 10. The film's talented ensemble cast of first class actors would usually be enough to convince me to take chance. Not, here, though. The trailer simply reinforced what a sad and unappealing life Lovelace lived before dying at the age of 53.

So how did they vote...by watching the trailer?

While I agree with you about Lovelace's life, the movie has a great cast, which is enough for me to give it a try. And I'm not just talking about my sweetie Amanda wink.gif
post #6 of 47
Looks like it should be quite good.
post #7 of 47
Unlike Deep Throat, I’m not sure I can get up for this movie. It’s painful to be reminded of the clothing styles from those days. So hip then, but...eek.gif Also, it looks like those IMDb voters are having a hard time swallowing it.
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

So how did they vote...by watching the trailer?

While I agree with you about Lovelace's life, the movie has a great cast, which is enough for me to give it a try. And I'm not just talking about my sweetie Amanda wink.gif

I agree with you, too. If anything could have induced me to see the film, it would have been its remarkably talented cast. Alas, that wasn't enough. Like the lives of too many other porn stars, Linda Lovelace's life was cursed by dysfunctional parents, an abusive husband, and ill health. Yuk, no thanks! She did turn her life around after she left her first husband and abandoned the porn industry but that wouldn't have been enough for me.
post #9 of 47
I really think the key question here, the one that everyone pondering buying a ticket to this film wants to know, and let's just be frank about it, is does Amanda Seyfried get nekkid? I don't mean body-doubles or sideways-under-bad-lighting brief glimpses, either. Let's face it - she does have one of the great bods in Hollywood, actually. She's a goddess. Hey, I don't make the rules.

Does citing that as a reason, perhaps the only reason, for wanting to watch a movie about the actress that starred in Deep Throat make me..... shallow?
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

. It’s painful to be reminded of the clothing styles from those days. So hip then, but...eek.gif

As opposed to today's????
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

As opposed to today's????

confused.gif You're going to have to expand on that.
post #12 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

So how did they vote...by watching the trailer?
REALLY.....rolleyes.gif

FWIW, I think the trailer is great...at least from the POV it has me interested in seeing the film.
A.S. looks like she is giving a helluva a performance in the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

She did turn her life around after she left her first husband and abandoned the porn industry but that wouldn't have been enough for me.
This movie reminds me of The Notorious Betty Page, which I just recently watched for the first time.
Ms. Page tried to push the story that she was a victim and had no idea what was going on.
Ms. Lovelace tried the same tactic.
However, in spite of some truth to their stories, it WAS their choice....they could have walked at any time.

In this culture, rather than accept responsibility for our own actions, we shift blame to others.
It's easy and doesn't require much effort.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Does citing that as a reason, perhaps the only reason, for wanting to watch a movie about the actress that starred in Deep Throat make me..... shallow?
Please don't ask me to lie.....
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

REALLY.....rolleyes.gif

confused.gif

...Regardless of who sees what, when and how, maybe imdb should wait until the release date before allowing members to vote.
post #14 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

confused.gif
Sorry, what I was trying to say is I have ZERO confidence in the opinions of IMDB or RT voters.wink.gif
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Sorry, what I was trying to say is I have ZERO confidence in the opinions of IMDB or RT voters.wink.gif

oh... so we were basically saying the same thing then (he's french ya know, and maybe slower on weekends!...)
post #16 of 47
What I find interesting is that almost every movie I bother to go look at on IMDB has a 6.4 or 6.5 rating or very, very close to that. It's amazing how many times I've seen that rating. Of course the ones I tend to watch (and be interested enough to go look into) tend to be ones with low numbers of votes I'm sure, and not of high appeal to the hoi polloi.
post #17 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

What I find interesting is that almost every movie I bother to go look at on IMDB has a 6.4 or 6.5 rating or very, very close to that. It's amazing how many times I've seen that rating. Of course the ones I tend to watch (and be interested enough to go look into) tend to be ones with low numbers of votes I'm sure, and not of high appeal to the hoi polloi.
Here is what the "voters" of IMDB and RT remind me of:

post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This movie reminds me of The Notorious Betty Page, which I just recently watched for the first time.
Ms. Page tried to push the story that she was a victim and had no idea what was going on.
Ms. Lovelace tried the same tactic.
However, in spite of some truth to their stories, it WAS their choice....they could have walked at any time.

In this culture, rather than accept responsibility for our own actions, we shift blame to others.
It's easy and doesn't require much effort.wink.gif
Please don't ask me to lie.....

First, I agree that girls who get involved in making sleazy films, such as Betty Page's charmingly old-fashioned, by 21st Century standards anyway, and Linda Lovelace's stuff, which was then and still is now, hard core porn.has to come down to a personal choice for the girl. I loved The Notorious Betty Page and thought that Gretchen Mol was wonderful in it. In fact, I confess that I own the DVD. Does that make me a perv? I thought that Betty had a pretty good idea of who she was and what she wanted out of her performances. Also, I thought Irving Klaw, wonderfully played by Chris Bauer, and his sister, Paula, equally well portrayed by Lili Taylor, came across as Betty's loving uncle and aunt, not cold blooded predators.

In stark contrast to the Betty Page biopic, which as noted I loved, the Linda Lovelace film appears to portray Lovelace as a victim of her family, her husband, and finally as that of the hard core film producers she worked for. All of that strikes me as too hard to take, no matter what came next. Betty Page's time in the industry, though, had a lot of charm to it, not least that of her ardent admirer, the weird but weirdly lovable John Willie, played sensationally by Jared Harris.
post #19 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Gretchen Mol was wonderful in it.
+1

Quote:
I thought Irving Klaw, wonderfully played by Chris Bauer, and his sister, Paula, equally well portrayed by Lili Taylor, came across as Betty's loving uncle and aunt, not cold blooded predators.
+2

Quote:
the Linda Lovelace film appears to portray Lovelace as a victim of her family, her husband, and finally as that of the hard core film producers she worked for. All of that strikes me as too hard to take, no matter what came next.
We will have to wait for the finished film before passing judgment.

It is also important to remember the 50s & early 60s were very, VERY different than the late 60s & early 70s....wink.gif
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It is also important to remember the 50s & early 60s were very, VERY different than the late 60s & early 70s....wink.gif

You make a great point. Betty Page got started with the Klaws in the late '40s. In those years, a garter belt and high heels was about as risqué as it got. By modern standards, what went on seems charming and almost innocent. By the '70s, though, porn was a nasty dirty business, the exploitation of Linda Lovelace and others like her by the purveyors of such filth was a scandal. Government getting involving in such things where the girls, exploited or not, are willing participants is a hard case to make, however.
post #21 of 47
In the late 70's I was playing in a house band at Reuben's Plankhouse (a well known "meat market") in the Seattle area and every night as I left the place cars were rocking back and forth not due to an earthquake either. I've often wondered how wild things would have become if AIDS hadn't showed up. I recall the local video store saying that porn was thriving because if people couldn't do it they'd watch it. wink.gif
post #22 of 47
I guess since no one is going to take the obvious joke, I'll have to take one for the team....

The great thing about this movie is that it sucks.
post #23 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Government getting involving in such things where the girls, exploited or not, are willing participants is a hard case to make, however.
Freewill is, well, freewill.
The people involved were doing so of their own freewill.
Do we really want the govt. to try and legislate smarts?wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I've often wondered how wild things would have become if AIDS hadn't showed up.
AIDS certainly had an enormous impact on sexual behavior.
post #24 of 47
Regardless of one's personal feelings about pornography, one thing is clear. There is a huge market for it that's not going away. In that industry, women are the stars and big earners and men are just the supporting cast. With rare exceptions, they're treated like the hired help they are. Like stripping at an upscale club or some forms of high-class hooking, there is big money to be made for little work or risk (the actors are constantly tested and monitored). That kind of opportunity will always attract a willing workforce. Just like investment banking, come to think about it. wink.gif
post #25 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Just like investment banking, come to think about it. wink.gif
SO cynical....tongue.gif
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Freewill is, well, freewill.
The people involved were doing so of their own freewill.
Do we really want the govt. to try and legislate smarts?wink.gif\

I couldn't agree more. If my earlier post failed to make clear that I do not think government should involve itself in regulating the adult film industry where the participants are there of their own free will, I was unintentionally ambiguous. Government has no business involving itself in that sort of thing, it seems to me.
post #27 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I couldn't agree more. If my earlier post failed to make clear that I do not think government should involve itself in regulating the adult film industry where the participants are there of their own free will, I was unintentionally ambiguous. Government has no business involving itself in that sort of thing, it seems to me.
I don't think anyone, other than nutjobs and fascists, want our govt. to regulate our behavior and personal choices.
Anyone who would support such a scenerio is Anti-American IMO.wink.gif

This is the Land of the Free.smile.gif
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

So how did they vote...by watching the trailer?

The movie played at Sundance earlier this year. A lot of people saw it there. It's probably been through other festivals as well.
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't think anyone, other than nutjobs and fascists, want our govt. to regulate our behavior and personal choices.
Anyone who would support such a scenerio is Anti-American IMO.wink.gif
Agreed. smile.gif
post #30 of 47
Thread Starter 
Took a watch last night.

Amanda Seyfried has gotten all the attention for her performance.
However, it is the supporting cast who really deserve the praise.
Excellent acting by Patrick, Stone, Noth, and others.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
An interesting film from POV of how the Directors wanted to show 2 sides of the story.
The one reported in the media at the time and the one I Was A Victim from Lovelace's book.
In spite of her reportedly passing a polygraph (notoriously unreliable back then), I have to take some of her account with a grain of salt.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home