or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread - Page 15

post #421 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

Now that some time has passed, I see the 80" is starting to show some of the same issues as the rest of the M series line. Which sucks because I was about to pull the trigger on this set. Now I don't know what I'm gonna do! :O
I'd pull the trigger while Amazon still has it for just a little over 3k (Costco and Sam's Club are now much higher and Costco is out of stock). I've got it and I'm very pleased. Many of the negative comments come from people who don't own it.
post #422 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

I'd pull the trigger while Amazon still has it for just a little over 3k (Costco and Sam's Club are now much higher and Costco is out of stock). I've got it and I'm very pleased. Many of the negative comments come from people who don't own it.
That's one thing in these threads that's hard to keep track of, some own the smaller models or don't even own a Vizio set and comment on there issues. I've been following this thread since day one, and it seemed to be the only size in Vizio's new line with no issues. I'm actually thinking about holding off for one reason at this point and that being that there is rumours flooring around that Vizio will be releasing a 84" und set soon. So I might jump on that Asap when it comes around.
post #423 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

Now that some time has passed, I see the 80" is starting to show some of the same issues as the rest of the M series line. Which sucks because I was about to pull the trigger on this set. Now I don't know what I'm gonna do! :O
Which issues?
post #424 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Which issues?

Vertical banding, black spots, heavy flashlighting which apparently is easily fixed by disabling smart dimming, shadowing in the middle of the screen, and others I've read about on other forums as well. But granted I realize these are issues that appear on almost every make and model of tv you buy these days. Unless you want to spend over $5000 for a tv.
post #425 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Which issues?

Vertical banding, black spots, heavy flashlighting which apparently is easily fixed by disabling smart dimming, shadowing in the middle of the screen, and others I've read about on other forums as well. But granted I realize these are issues that appear on almost every make and model of tv you buy these days. Unless you want to spend over $5000 for a tv.
Hmmm, my folks and I haven't noticed these yet on our month old HDTV so far... They do have the extended warranty so hopefully, they can fix it in person (too heavy and big to return -- almost broke a shoulder last weekend while putting it up onto a new table stand!!).
post #426 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Hmmm, my folks and I haven't noticed these yet on our month old HDTV so far... They do have the extended warranty so hopefully, they can fix it in person (too heavy and big to return -- almost broke a shoulder last weekend while putting it up onto a new table stand!!).
Lol! Ya I definitely wouldn't want to have to move that massive thing more than once. You never know you may have ended up with a good set. It just seem this day and age purchasing a tv is like playing Russian roulette. I've heard the same things about LG, SONY, SHARP, SAMSUNG it's sad that all these companies seem to have QC issues.
post #427 of 892
Here are the settings I came up with for this set. I went with 2 different, one for day/lamp viewing and another for dark room viewing, also separately calibrated 3D settings. I have provided them below.

Hope they help improve viewing for some of you.

***2D
Calibrated (for day/lamp)
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 57
Contrast: 49
Color: 30
Tint: -6
Sharpness: 3

Calibrated Dark (dark)
Backlight: 35
Brightness: 54
Contrast: 49
Color: 30
Tint: -5
Sharpness: 3


***3D
Calibrated (for day/lamp)
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 58
Contrast: 50
Color: 30
Tint: -7

Calibrated Dark (dark)
Backlight: 40
Brightness: 58
Contrast: 49
Color: 30
Tint: -8

Color Temp for all
Normal
Red: 148
Green: 117
Blue: 130
Red: 131
Green: 129
Blue: 128

All advanced settings off except I have
Smart Dimming: On
Smooth Motion: Low
post #428 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post


How are you enjoying your TV?

They will delivery next week, i will report later

post #429 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post


The hole pattern is 400mm (V) x 400mm (H) actually. And I could not get behind the set to measure the exact measurements but it is about 2 feet in from the side and 6.5 inches from the top. Hope this helps.
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

Its 400mm vertical and 600mm horizontal. Mines 2 days old

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post


It's odd the site now says the screw pattern is 600mm x 400mm at the time I purchased the set it stated 400mm x 400 now I am confused if they changed it or if it was a typo at the time of my purchase. My set is mounted so I can not verify. Is there anyone that can clear this up?

Which is correct or did Vizio update the set by changing the external screw placement?



 

 

I think 600mm horizonntal is the right one because:

 

2 feet = 24 inches

so: 24x2 inches + 600/25.4 = 71.62 inches ( base on vizo: wide of tv: 71.21 inches)

post #430 of 892
It's definitely right. Mines on the floor and I measured it with a mm tape. 600mm x 400mm
post #431 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

It's definitely right. Mines on the floor and I measured it with a mm tape. 600mm x 400mm

Do you mean 600mm (h) x 400 mm(v) right?  Can you also measure from the side and top to the hole pattern please?  Thanks.

post #432 of 892

Well I Bought the Sharp LC-80LE757 80-inch Aquos Quattron 1080p 240Hz Smart LED 3D HDTV from Amazon. After 24 hrs I had 8 pixels unresponsive. I really liked the picture on video games & 3D blu-ray. I was not impressed with the quality of our Direct TV & I tried a few settings from the owner forums. If I already had so many pixels not working I was worried of a potential future issue seeing I did not buy the warranty.  I noticed more pixels not working I unplugged it several times & did all my updates.

 

I Now purchased the VIZIO M801d-A3 80-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV with 5 year warranty I hope I am happy with this picture. I should have it in a few days. UGH

post #433 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Allen View Post

Well I Bought the Sharp LC-80LE757 80-inch Aquos Quattron 1080p 240Hz Smart LED 3D HDTV from Amazon. After 24 hrs I had 8 pixels unresponsive. I really liked the picture on video games & 3D blu-ray. I was not impressed with the quality of our Direct TV & I tried a few settings from the owner forums. If I already had so many pixels not working I was worried of a potential future issue seeing I did not buy the warranty.  I noticed more pixels not working I unplugged it several times & did all my updates.

I Now purchased the VIZIO M801d-A3 80-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV with 5 year warranty I hope I am happy with this picture. I should have it in a few days. UGH
Well I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it when you get it. I've been looking at this set for a while and I'm debating whether to buy it or not, the more opinions I can get about it the better I'll feel about buying it. Lol
post #434 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

That's one thing in these threads that's hard to keep track of, some own the smaller models or don't even own a Vizio set and comment on there issues. I've been following this thread since day one, and it seemed to be the only size in Vizio's new line with no issues. I'm actually thinking about holding off for one reason at this point and that being that there is rumours flooring around that Vizio will be releasing a 84" und set soon. So I might jump on that Asap when it comes around.

I've seen that rumor also and would like to see that happen. The 70" UHD set will arrive 1st quarter 2014 (what I was waiting on) but the 84" before the end of this year. Not too much time left in 2013 though.
post #435 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I've seen that rumor also and would like to see that happen. The 70" UHD set will arrive 1st quarter 2014 (what I was waiting on) but the 84" before the end of this year. Not too much time left in 2013 though.
Ya there's very little time remaining, and Vizio hasn't even hinted to it yet.so I guess it'll be a wait and see type deal for now, but I'm hoping it's true.
post #436 of 892

I am new to this forum.  I have had my Vizio M series 80 inched for 1 week.  I am loving it.  I am interested in other people's calibrations for picture settings for these different viewing options:

Blu-ray movie viewing

Streaming content from Amazon and Netflix

Cable TV general viewing

 

Thanks,

 

Joe

post #437 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrow7 View Post

I am new to this forum.  I have had my Vizio M series 80 inched for 1 week.  I am loving it.  I am interested in other people's calibrations for picture settings for these different viewing options:
Blu-ray movie viewing
Streaming content from Amazon and Netflix
Cable TV general viewing

Thanks,

Joe

Try my settings I posted a few pages back or so. I think they work quite well. I have tried other users settings and they work well also. Just pick your poison and welcome to the forum.
post #438 of 892
So frustrated trying to order this set on Bestbuy.com!!! I've tried everyday for the past 2weeks to place my order for some reason its unavailable in my area! I called best buy to try to order it today and all they could tell me is that its unavailable in my area and there is no way to get it!!mad.gif Is this set discontinued already!? It doesn't say out of stock on their website, it lets me add it to my cart and go through check out then I get an error....
post #439 of 892
I had to replace mine. Had a flicker that tech support couldn't trouble shoot out. Regardless, the big picture is great but there are other detracting factors about this and other edge lit sets. The edge lighting and smart diming leave a lot to be desired. The samsung 75 inch 9000 model does a much better job in this respect. There's also the unsoldered motion lag that plagues all of these LCD sets and most noticeable in the bigger sets. We are right I the middle of a big change and step up in technology. You want to see the future? Head over to best buy and check out the new 55 inch samsung OLED set. You will put your foot through your current LCD TV.....lol. Plasma blacks, color depth and saturation better than plasma and not a hint of motion blur. AND, this set is only 1080P! Samsungs tv is also 9k but that's where the future lies. Until then, think of these bigger LCD TVs as stepping stones.

One reviewer saw 3d content through an upcoming pansy 65 inch OLED screen that was 4k. He said there was no difference between looking at that set and looking out of a a glass window. He said it was absolutely the best image he ever saw. Good news is we will see it in our lifetime.
post #440 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

We are right I the middle of a big change and step up in technology. You want to see the future? Head over to best buy and check out the new 55 inch samsung OLED set. You will put your foot through your current LCD TV.....lol. Plasma blacks, color depth and saturation better than plasma and not a hint of motion blur. AND, this set is only 1080P! Samsungs tv is also 9k but that's where the future lies. Until then, think of these bigger LCD TVs as stepping stones.

One reviewer saw 3d content through an upcoming pansy 65 inch OLED screen that was 4k. He said there was no difference between looking at that set and looking out of a a glass window. He said it was absolutely the best image he ever saw. Good news is we will see it in our lifetime.

This is why I'm not buying a new TV for a while. I'm happy with my 55" local dimming lcd set until the 4k OLED sets come out (and come down in price)
post #441 of 892
The demo disc used to sell the OLED Sammy is a testament to the clean accurate motion of OLED. The images and video zips around and not a hint of motion blur. You have no idea as to how much that effects PQ! Plus the deep blacks and color saturation.......The 1080P OLED blew away the sony 4k set next to it! Resolution is but one component of a good picture. I can only imagine how good the OLED 4k set would be esp. on 3d!! I do need an 80 inch set though and my guess is that an OLED 80 inch 4k set is quite awhile away from being affordable. MAYBE id think about a 80 inch OLED 1080P set but at 80 inches the 4k is too tempting esp. for close up 3D......I'll probably hang onto the Vizio 80 incher until the OLED makes its way to the bigger sets.

OLED is "kinda" close to a good plasma set so getting one at 50 inches or so isn't worthwhile IMO. You can get a fantastic plasma set now for a great price.
post #442 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlvr View Post

This is why I'm not buying a new TV for a while. I'm happy with my 55" local dimming lcd set until the 4k OLED sets come out (and come down in price)

New feature sets will always be on the way. Prices will always be coming down. If you wait for both, you'll be staring at your 55" forever. It's the nature of technology devices. Pick a point to buy, and know that the day you get it, someone will announce something better and cheaper.
post #443 of 892
So people are now souring on the 80 inch Vizio? This was gonna be my next tv!
post #444 of 892
Thanks, I just calibrated your day settings. I like your settings better than any I have tried. Best of all, your color temp settings seem really balanced. I was having trouble with skin tone and hair color. When I got skin tone right, hair had a touch of green. When that was corrected, skin tone was too red. I realize this is all subjective, but my eye agrees with yours for color depiction.
Do you find your day and night calibrations work well for streaming video from Netflix and Amazon?
post #445 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post

New feature sets will always be on the way. Prices will always be coming down. If you wait for both, you'll be staring at your 55" forever. It's the nature of technology devices. Pick a point to buy, and know that the day you get it, someone will announce something better and cheaper.

Not sure what you're talking about. I've already picked a technology, and a time to buy it. Unless of course, there is something better in a year and a half when my wife graduates (and $9k for a TV won't seem like such a big deal).

UHD and OLED are pretty big steps though.
post #446 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrow7 View Post

Thanks, I just calibrated your day settings. I like your settings better than any I have tried. Best of all, your color temp settings seem really balanced. I was having trouble with skin tone and hair color. When I got skin tone right, hair had a touch of green. When that was corrected, skin tone was too red. I realize this is all subjective, but my eye agrees with yours for color depiction.
Do you find your day and night calibrations work well for streaming video from Netflix and Amazon?

I too had that issue, I had to wait to clock in 200 hours of viewing till I was able to set the colors 2 point gray scale accurately. Prior I was having the same issues you described above. Try the night settings for a movie theater-dark room experience. And remember the 3D settings as with the glasses on you do get a different picture even though the TV try's to compensate.

Yes I do find them to work well with Netflix and Amazon streaming from my Roku 3 and PS3. The setting I provided were the most balanced on all of my platforms (Samsung 3D blu ray player, Roku 3, PS3, Mac Mini 2012 and over the air/cable HDTV). I am glad you enjoy the settings.

And for people who are weary of purchasing this Vizio set, with the correct settings this TV is a sight to behold. And it will hold you over until an affordable 4K 80" or 80"+ is available.
post #447 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlvr View Post

Not sure what you're talking about.

What I'm talking about is... this thread is called "Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread"

I would imagine that includes potential owners as well, discussing the ins and outs of the TV they have bought, or are contemplating buying. Your post doesn't contribute to either of those elements of the discussion at all, but rather, tells us all that you DON'T own this TV and AREN'T going to buy one (because you want something "better" and/or "cheaper")... which amounts to TC'ing, IMO. I suppose I could post about the Sony in my living room, and how I don't plan to replace it with a Vizio 80", or maybe that my back hurts, and I don't plan on replacing it with a Vizio 80", and so on...
post #448 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlvr View Post

Unless of course, there is something better in a year and a half when my wife graduates (and $9k for a TV won't seem like such a big deal).

A fool and his money are soon departed...
post #449 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post

What I'm talking about is... this thread is called "Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread"

I would imagine that includes potential owners as well, discussing the ins and outs of the TV they have bought, or are contemplating buying. Your post doesn't contribute to either of those elements of the discussion at all, but rather, tells us all that you DON'T own this TV and AREN'T going to buy one (because you want something "better" and/or "cheaper")... which amounts to TC'ing, IMO. I suppose I could post about the Sony in my living room, and how I don't plan to replace it with a Vizio 80", or maybe that my back hurts, and I don't plan on replacing it with a Vizio 80", and so on...

In the thread because I'm researching and recommending it to my brother in law. Who is buying it. I was commenting on a post by another member. Sorry for throwing the thread off track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

A fool and his money are soon departed...

Did you mean "parted"? You should probably learn to get a quote right before calling someone a fool.
post #450 of 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post

So frustrated trying to order this set on Bestbuy.com!!! I've tried everyday for the past 2weeks to place my order for some reason its unavailable in my area! I called best buy to try to order it today and all they could tell me is that its unavailable in my area and there is no way to get it!!mad.gif Is this set discontinued already!? It doesn't say out of stock on their website, it lets me add it to my cart and go through check out then I get an error....

Talk directly to your local Best Buy. I ordered my M801D a month ago by dealing directly with my local Best Buy (they didn't have it in stock but could order it for me). It was delivered to my house, put on the stand and powered up. The delivery men also removed the box for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread