or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Upgrade ing my Epson 1080 need some help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade ing my Epson 1080 need some help

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have had my Epson 1080 projector since they first came out and I would like to move on to a newer projector.

I run my projector for movies, tv, and computer browsing and I use it for about 10+ hours a day. Bulbs last me 8-12 months.

I would like to keep my budget price to around $1000. I am currently using a Jamestown 134" screen but will be moving to a 150" screen when we move the theater to the 2 car garage.

My bulb is getting ready to be replaced again and I think that if I found a projector that the bulbs lasted twice as long it would def be worth upgrading to.
Right now I have some light control but would like the picture to have more pop.
3D would be nice but is not required. I also would like to have wired lan connection although serial control would be ok. Only a HDMI and a VGA are needed for video. I view all my media from my PC through my Denon 4520ci. Refurbished is ok

The 2 that I have looked at reviews and think I would be happy with are:at the top of my budget:
Epson 8350
Panasonic AR100U.

Here is one that is quite a bit cheaper that might work... Acer H6510BD
Any suggestions?
Edited by ellisr63 - 7/10/13 at 8:41pm
post #2 of 9
Where is your current projector mounted and what restrictions or limitation do you have for the mounting location of the new projector. I ask this because many budget projectors offer no lens shift adjustment, or a very limited range adjustment.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Where is your current projector mounted and what restrictions or limitation do you have for the mounting location of the new projector. I ask this because many budget projectors offer no lens shift adjustment, or a very limited range adjustment.

My screen is 8" from the ceiling (viewing area), and my room is 16' 6" deep, with a 8' ceiling. The projector will be ceiling mounted. Currently I am shelf mounting close to the ceiling but I can mount from the ceiling anywhere needed. I just need to know where to mount it if I have to relocate it..
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
I am going to try the BenQ 1070... I just found one for $876.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

My screen is 8" from the ceiling (viewing area), and my room is 16' 6" deep, with a 8' ceiling. The projector will be ceiling mounted. Currently I am shelf mounting close to the ceiling but I can mount from the ceiling anywhere needed. I just need to know where to mount it if I have to relocate it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I am going to try the BenQ 1070... I just found one for $876.

Since the W1070, even when using its limited vertical lens shift adjustment, must be mounted a few inches (i.e. about 4 inches minimum) above the top of screen as measured from the center of the projector's lens. As a result you might need to lower the screen a few inches to accommodate the projector's actual mounted position. The W1070 can accommodate your 134 inch screen (diagonal size 16 x 9) with a projector-to-screen throw distance anywhere from approx. 11 ft. 3 inches up to 14 ft. 7 inches by using the projector's zoom lens. Since the W1070 does not have a horizontal lens shift adjust it must be mounted directly back from the horizontal center of the screen (i.e., along a line drawn perpendicular from the center of the screen).


.
Edited by Ron Jones - 7/10/13 at 8:02pm
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info... I found a ceiling mount that would hang the projector 5" from the ceiling... I could go a foot with no problem as my Epson sits about one foot from the ceiling now (it is on a platform hanging from the ceiling). I am tempted to see if I could rig up a track on the ceiling that I could mount the projector to... Then I could easily move it forward or backward to get the distance right. Am I better off putting the projector close to the screen rather than farther back?

tia,
Ron
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Thanks for the info... I found a ceiling mount that would hang the projector 5" from the ceiling... I could go a foot with no problem as my Epson sits about one foot from the ceiling now (it is on a platform hanging from the ceiling). I am tempted to see if I could rig up a track on the ceiling that I could mount the projector to... Then I could easily move it forward or backward to get the distance right. Am I better off putting the projector close to the screen rather than farther back?

tia,
Ron

In general mounting a projector closer to the screen will produce a brighter image due to the zoom having a lower, numerically, 'f' stop at that end of the zoom range meaning less light loss thru the lens. However, with the W1070's very limited zoom range there won't be very much difference in image brightness or other qualities when mounted toward the near vs. far distance (near and far mounting distance will only be about 3 ft. difference for your screen size).
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
I hope that I don't have the HDMI Handshake problems I have seen some others have. If I do I will return it. I am fed up with HDMI problems and just got my setup working without Handshake problems.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Well i have it set up temporarily on our couch and the picture looks great... No rainbows, headaches, handshake problems etc. Def glad I made the jump to this inexpensive projector.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Upgrade ing my Epson 1080 need some help