or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Newbie setting up entire house. Need help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie setting up entire house. Need help! - Page 2

post #31 of 39
Thread Starter 
So with the russound ss 4.2 you run patio and kitchen wires to the russound and run that to the receiver via whatever chord?. Then you turn on rack speaker manually at the russound? I guess volume control would be manually as well using the 4 knobs on the front of the russound?
post #32 of 39
Sort of. The speaker selector takes the zone 2 output and splits it in to 2 paths. One goes to your patio, and ones goes to your kitchen. You would control the volume of zone 2 with the remote just like you normally would, only difference being zone 2 is split to two rooms. The selector just allows you to determine which speakers will receive signal. So you can only turn on the patio, and zone 2 will play over the patio, or vice versa for the kitchen, or turn both on at the same time.

Denon AVR-X2000:
> Zone 1 > 5.1 System (Living Room)
> Zone 2 > Russound Selector > Kitchen+Patio Speakers

Denon AVR-X1000:
> Zone 1 > 5.1 System (Bonus Room)
post #33 of 39
He should not need a speaker selector at all. I have the same setup, a 5.1 family room, an adjacent kitchen with 2 speakers, and 2 patio speakers. If he use a cheap amp hooked up to the X2000 for two speakers and hooks the other two up to the X2000 zone 2 amps, then all four will play the same source, whatever he selects for zone 2. If he has wall mounted volume controls, it is really easy to turn off either the kitchen or patio. If he wants the same music in the main room, he can just select the same source and that way he can get full 5.1 sound in the main room. I guess he could use the all zone stereo mode, but then it would only play out of the L/R speakers in the main zone.

Then I agree, get a cheaper 5.1 receiver like the X1000 or even the cheaper E300 for the bonus room upstairs.

Oh, the best way to set up a volume control is to turn the volume control all the way up, then use the volume control on the receiver to turn it up to as loud as you think you might want it, then just turn the volume control knob all the way down to off. A volume control can only decrease the volume, it is not an amp. That way, you now have full range control of the sound level at eye volume control and you never have to mess with the zone 2 volume on the receiver.
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

He should not need a speaker selector at all. I have the same setup, a 5.1 family room, an adjacent kitchen with 2 speakers, and 2 patio speakers. If he use a cheap amp hooked up to the X2000 for two speakers and hooks the other two up to the X2000 zone 2 amps, then all four will play the same source, whatever he selects for zone 2. If he has wall mounted volume controls, it is really easy to turn off either the kitchen or patio. If he wants the same music in the main room, he can just select the same source and that way he can get full 5.1 sound in the main room. I guess he could use the all zone stereo mode, but then it would only play out of the L/R speakers in the main zone.

Then I agree, get a cheaper 5.1 receiver like the X1000 or even the cheaper E300 for the bonus room upstairs.

Oh, the best way to set up a volume control is to turn the volume control all the way up, then use the volume control on the receiver to turn it up to as loud as you think you might want it, then just turn the volume control knob all the way down to off. A volume control can only decrease the volume, it is not an amp. That way, you now have full range control of the sound level at eye volume control and you never have to mess with the zone 2 volume on the receiver.

That is good to know that works. I guess either way it would work either way, turn the volume down to turn a room off, or just deselect it via the speaker selector.

All zone stereo mode plays the same content through all the speakers, its essentially a party-mode feature. Either way will work, one benefit of the selector though is if you want to add any additional speakers in the house, you can do so easily.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

That is good to know that works. I guess either way it would work either way, turn the volume down to turn a room off, or just deselect it via the speaker selector.

All zone stereo mode plays the same content through all the speakers, its essentially a party-mode feature. Either way will work, one benefit of the selector though is if you want to add any additional speakers in the house, you can do so easily.

There are defintely more than one way to skin the cat, as they say. A friend of mine has like 9 or 10 speakers around his house and he did not want to buy an expensive multichannel amp, so he just uses a speaker selector to split the power. It can limit the max volume, but it seems to work for him. However, he still has multiple volume controls so he does not have to go into his equipment cabinet to select which speakers are on or off. I do agree that the selector can add some ability to expand in the future. I think the HTD two channel amp I linked earlier has both A and B speaker terminals, so if he gets that one he could at least add two more speakers down the road with no new purchases.
post #36 of 39
I won't add to the receiver discussion, but will suggest another nice piece(s) of equipment that allows for multi-zone control of audio: check out a company called Sonos. You can control independent zones right on your smart phone. I have 4 Sonos zones and I love it.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstokes View Post

I won't add to the receiver discussion, but will suggest another nice piece(s) of equipment that allows for multi-zone control of audio: check out a company called Sonos. You can control independent zones right on your smart phone. I have 4 Sonos zones and I love it.

Sonos is a good option but it isn't cheap.
post #38 of 39
Thread Starter 
I'm back with a new issue...
Don't hound me on the brand, I trust it. I was thinking about getting a 106" screen from monoprice. 106" ceiling recessed, tab tensioned, HD grey, IR remote controlled. Here's my issue. I have a big bonus room, but only 8' ceilings. The total screen ht states 77.6". Top border 15.7", and bottom border 2.6". It states total viewing area is 92.4"x52".
Since my ceiling to floor is 96" and the screen comes out of the ceiling 77.6", that only leaves 18" from the bottom of screen to floor. My center channel speaker will be close to 7" in ht by 14" long. I know its ideal to have the center at ear level, however I don't have this choice. It would be start about a foot off the floor and go up 7" right to the end of the screen. Would it be better to do the center in ceiling? Or have it shooting at your feet?
post #39 of 39
I would probably put it down low and angle it up a bit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Newbie setting up entire house. Need help!