or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Blu Ray Freezing - Is it the player or the disc?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu Ray Freezing - Is it the player or the disc?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi,
I have an LG HB905PA Blu Ray player. While watching Pulp Fiction a few months ago, the movie began to freeze during a certain scene. We fast forwarded through the scene and the rest of the movie was fine. While watching No Country For Old Men last night, the movie froze at a certain scene. We tried fast forwarding multiple times but it eventually froze completely and we could not get past that scene. I think this might have happened on another movie too.

My question is whether this is the fault of the disc or the blu ray player. I don't want to start blu ray movies and not be able to finish them. So, should we get a new blu ray player? It there a way to make the movies not freeze?

Thanks for your help.
post #2 of 11
If multiple Blu-rays were randomly freezing up, I would pin the problem on the BD player itself. It might be going bad if it can't make it through an entire film without freezing up.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Ok. The funny thing is is that it has only frozen up on the examples that I have mentioned (which were brand new discs) while another 25 titles that we have played worked fine. We might get a new BD player so I'm just trying to make sure this problem is only occurring because of a bad BD player.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredPhil96 View Post

Ok. The funny thing is is that it has only frozen up on the examples that I have mentioned (which were brand new discs) while another 25 titles that we have played worked fine. We might get a new BD player so I'm just trying to make sure this problem is only occurring because of a bad BD player.


I've had the same problem occur with a new disc, but only a handful of times over the last 3 years on my Panasonic player, and it was always the disc.



Ian
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I've had the same problem occur with a new disc, but only a handful of times over the last 3 years on my Panasonic player, and it was always the disc.



Ian

Ok. Is there any way I can fix this problem?
post #6 of 11
I had a problem with a disk I had watched before freezing. ran my lens cleaning disk and problem fixed. also try clearing the player memory.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredPhil96 View Post

Ok. Is there any way I can fix this problem?


You can try cleaning the disc as mentioned above, but in my case, most of the discs were defective.



Ian
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to assume it's not the player that is the problem (after all, it is able to play MOST of the discs we play). It just seems strange that three brand new discs would freeze.
post #9 of 11

I would check the thread for your player in the Blu-ray Player forum (if there is one) to see if other folks are having similar issues. Some problems like this can be fixed by changing a few of the player's settings and turning features off that you don't need, or by doing a reset, or by installing a firmware update.

 

It's also been pretty hot and humid in some areas lately, which could potentially be a factor in your player's performance, if it's not well ventilated.

 

How old is the player btw? (Can't seem to find the model on Amazon.)


Edited by ADU - 7/20/13 at 3:50pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I would check the thread for your player in the Blu-ray Player forum (if there is one) to see if other folks are having similar issues. Some problems like this can be fixed by changing a few of the player's settings and turning features off that you don't need, or by doing a reset, or by installing a firmware update.

It's also been pretty hot and humid in some areas lately, which could potentially be a factor in your player's performance, if it's not well ventilated.

How old is the player btw? (Can't seem to find the model on Amazon.)

I think it's more likely to be a faulty BD since the problem only happens with a few discs. Since BD's are mass produced, it's not that unusual to have an issue even with a new one.
Here's looking at you. wink.gif


Ian
post #11 of 11

You could be right.

 

Just seems a bit odd that there were problems with several newer discs in such close proximity. Maybe I'm readin too much into the OP's comments, but they sort of suggest something "systemic" to me, such as a hot, humid, or dusty (or combination thereof) viewing environment, or a worn out player that hasn't been updated in awhile or is badly configured. Or maybe there was a power surge from a nearby lightning strike that partially fried it... Hard to say really.

 

It's also possible the discs were all "compromised" in some similar way. Maybe they were left in a hot car too long and warped, for instance.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Here's looking at you. wink.gif

 

Thanks shweetheart. smile.gif


Edited by ADU - 7/20/13 at 7:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Blu Ray Freezing - Is it the player or the disc?