or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Outlaw LFM-1 EX vs PSA XV-15
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Outlaw LFM-1 EX vs PSA XV-15 - Page 2

post #31 of 56
If your wanting the Outlaw at a good price go here. Was posted today. http://columbusga.craigslist.org/ele/3939300810.html
post #32 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark44001 View Post

If your wanting the Outlaw at a good price go here. Was posted today. http://columbusga.craigslist.org/ele/3939300810.html

Thanks, but that's not local to me. It is also not an EX but the original LFM-1.
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post


well I ran my xv15's up to 113db playing a 15hz test tone and herd no port noise so idk. I have also done full sweeps at max output with rew and never herd any port noise. I peaked over the back of the sub while it was playing those levels and still herd nothing...just felt lots of air coming out. My subs are nearfield and I never hear port noise at reference volume...never have at any frequency. Maybe I have not played the right source content yet...dunno.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

It's probably the alternating frequencies that the pulse scene demands as opposed to a gradual sweep or steady sine wave in your tests. That pulse scene would have low frequencies where the ports can't keep up (high air flow), alternating with frequencies where they can keep up. The combined sound is a rapid chuffing sound.

Probably not...but ignorance is bliss. Forget what I said about pulse...literally.

 

I started out with ported subs. Once I was introduced to that port noise, my ears became very sensitive to it...and it seemed I would subconsciously be looking for it in every movie. It's what drove me to sealed.

post #34 of 56
These are basically identical sub in normal HT application. The THD levels in CEA test are done really pushing the subs and which way the driver face is not a big factor for the OP. For explosions, the sub may peak for a small time but THD is pretty hard to pickup. For music I doubt if most people would have things that loud, greater than 105-110 db. A 1or 2 db difference in portions of the bandwidth just require a slight turn of the sub gain or avr adjustment. Get the sub that you like:).
post #35 of 56
These are basically identical sub in normal HT application. The THD levels in CEA test are done really pushing the subs and which way the driver face is not a big factor for the OP. For explosions, the sub may peak for a small time but THD is pretty hard to pickup. For music I doubt if most people would have things that loud, greater than 105-110 db 1or 2 db difference in portions of the bandwidth just require a slight turn of the sub gain or avr adjustment. Get the sub that you like:).
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Some more history...Tom and Ron Stimpson (the first S in SVS) used to get advice from Dr. Hsu (who designed the LFM) before going into business to compete against him. In fact, the one of first subwoofers that Ron and Tom collaborated on together used parts from a Hsu subwoofer. Documentation of that subwoofer build used to be on the Secrets of Home Theater site.

Yeah I remember that! I think that’s where the SVHS 12.5 terminator came from if I recall corectly??
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Probably not...but ignorance is bliss. Forget what I said about pulse...literally.

I started out with ported subs. Once I was introduced to that port noise, my ears became very sensitive to it...and it seemed I would subconsciously be looking for it in every movie. It's what drove me to sealed.

Oh I have herd port noise on a few other ported subs when pushed hard and it definately sounds nasty!
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

I've owned dual LFM-EXs and I played them in 1 port mode. I generally never heard port noise...of course I was also running my FTW21 sealed setup at the same time.

The only time I heard port noise were scenes that were very similar to sine wave sweeps, and those were the loudest frequencies. A good example is the scene in the movie Pulse when they walk down the hallway into the control room near the end of the movie.

Have you or other XV15 owners ever heard that scene on your XV15(s)? Did you hear port noise while playing at or near reference?
I also heard port noise on my FV15HP with that Pulse scene when listening at reference which I never do except for testing. I had my FV15FP in one port mode which I like. Never tried that scene in two ports mode though. It is the only movie I hear port noise at reference volume. I believe you replaced your dual LFM-EXs with a single FV15HP- do you hear port noise with your FV15hp?
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

I also heard port noise on my FV15HP with that Pulse scene when listening at reference which I never do except for testing. I had my FV15FP in one port mode which I like. Never tried that scene in two ports mode though. It is the only movie I hear port noise at reference volume.

Do you ever get any port noise in 1 port mode otherwise?
post #40 of 56
As I mentioned, I run my sub in 1 port mode and only that Pulse scene causes port noise but only at reference level. Have you tried that scene on your dual XV15s?
post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

As I mentioned, I run my sub in 1 port mode and only that Pulse scene causes port noise but only at reference level. Have you tried that scene on your dual XV15s?

no I have not. I normally only listen to house music and other heavy bass music at reference. Most of my movie and tv viewing is at lower levels. The only reason I asked was some have reported port noise in 1 port mode...was just curious if its true.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post


I also heard port noise on my FV15HP with that Pulse scene when listening at reference which I never do except for testing. I had my FV15FP in one port mode which I like. Never tried that scene in two ports mode though. It is the only movie I hear port noise at reference volume. I believe you replaced your dual LFM-EXs with a single FV15HP- do you hear port noise with your FV15hp?

No....except that damn pulse scene at reference. mad.gif

 

I've got mine in 1 port mode for max extension. I think it could certainly be avoided by going to two ports and playing with some of the amp settings.

 

Of course, in this case I'd much rather have the deeper extension and associated ULF tactile sensation for 99.9% of movies, as compared to having no port noise, less extension, and less ULF tactile sensation. Compared to my dual LFM's, the FV15HP provides me that ULF tactile sensation and couch shake that was lessor or absent compared to the LFM's.

post #43 of 56
You are almost certainly getting chuffing in other material as well with the FV15HP. Since there is no upper frequency content in that Pulse scene, there are no other sounds to mask the chuffing noise, so it will be much more apparent with that particular movie.
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You are almost certainly getting chuffing in other material as well with the FV15HP. Since there is no upper frequency content in that Pulse scene, there are no other sounds to mask the chuffing noise, so it will be much more apparent with that particular movie.

Correct. But if I don't hear it, it doesn't matter to me.

post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Compared to my dual LFM's, the FV15HP provides me that ULF tactile sensation and couch shake that was lessor or absent compared to the LFM's.
I take it as a single FV15hp is better than dual LFMs. I was going to go dual of something within the FV15hp price range but due to space limited, I am glad I went with a single FV15hp. I was even thought about dual XV15s but again, space and rear port forced me to go with the Rythmik but I cannot be happier with it in my seal 2700ft^3 room. Yes, it can extended very low with authority.
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

I take it as a single FV15hp is better than dual LFMs. I was going to go dual of something within the FV15hp price range but due to space limited, I am glad I went with a single FV15hp. I was even thought about dual XV15s but again, space and rear port forced me to go with the Rythmik but I cannot be happier with it in my seal 2700ft^3 room. Yes, it can extended very low with authority.
Yes. Significantly better than both on all aspects. More output, greater extension, and the biggest improvement was sound quality. I was amazed at the difference. Compared to the Rythmik, the outlaws sounds somewhat bloated. The Rythmik stopped on a dime. This is an expression that gets thrown around a lot, but I truly mean stop on a dime. Demos I've listened to multiple multiple times, sounded a LOT different, to the point I thought I was missing something. Where the outlaws would linger around, the rythmik just stopped. Amazing.

I was never expecting a big jump in SQ, just extension. I was definitely shocked to hear the difference. I'm a Rythmik Servo/sub believer... smile.gif
post #47 of 56
Of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Yes. Significantly better than both on all aspects. More output, greater extension, and the biggest improvement was sound quality. I was amazed at the difference. Compared to the Rythmik, the outlaws sounds somewhat bloated. The Rythmik stopped on a dime. This is an expression that gets thrown around a lot, but I truly mean stop on a dime. Demos I've listened to multiple multiple times, sounded a LOT different, to the point I thought I was missing something. Where the outlaws would linger around, the rythmik just stopped. Amazing.

I was never expecting a big jump in SQ, just extension. I was definitely shocked to hear the difference. I'm a Rythmik Servo/sub believer... smile.gif
Of course, I already had 2 other subs in the mix so fr smoothing wasn't a factor when choosing between 1or 2 subs. Having said that, I'd still probably go with 1 fv15 hp vs 2 lfm- exs.
post #48 of 56
^^ how does it compare to your FW21? Thanks.
post #49 of 56
I can't really compare the two as I've never had them in the same position where they've had a similar response and I AB compared them. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the FTWs though. Much more capable. And although not an apples to apples comparison, are also excellent in SQ like the Rythmik. Before the 21s, I had eD A7S-450s (18in drivers), and the FTWs blew them away in output and SQ.
post #50 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Yes. Significantly better than both on all aspects. More output, greater extension, and the biggest improvement was sound quality. I was amazed at the difference. Compared to the Rythmik, the outlaws sounds somewhat bloated. The Rythmik stopped on a dime. This is an expression that gets thrown around a lot, but I truly mean stop on a dime. Demos I've listened to multiple multiple times, sounded a LOT different, to the point I thought I was missing something. Where the outlaws would linger around, the rythmik just stopped. Amazing.

I was never expecting a big jump in SQ, just extension. I was definitely shocked to hear the difference. I'm a Rythmik Servo/sub believer... smile.gif

Everything that I've heard about the FV15HP suggests that it is in another league, and the measurements back it up. Too bad it is just a tad too big for my room, and is close to $1,500 shipped. I'm glad that you like yours, and I'll definitely consider Rythmik in the future.

For now, I have decided to go with the XV-15 over the LFM. The better warranty and customer service is what tipped me over to PSA, and I can't wait to get it in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for everyone's input!
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn View Post

Everything that I've heard about the FV15HP suggests that it is in another league, and the measurements back it up. Too bad it is just a tad too big for my room, and is close to $1,500 shipped. I'm glad that you like yours, and I'll definitely consider Rythmik in the future.

For now, I have decided to go with the XV-15 over the LFM. The better warranty and customer service is what tipped me over to PSA, and I can't wait to get it in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for everyone's input!
Congrats! You made the right choice. smile.gif
post #52 of 56
Congrats! Honestly, you couldn't have gone wrong with either. We were really splitting hairs in this thread.
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Correct. But if I don't hear it, it doesn't matter to me.

Amen, brother...
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn View Post

Everything that I've heard about the FV15HP suggests that it is in another league, and the measurements back it up. Too bad it is just a tad too big for my room, and is close to $1,500 shipped. I'm glad that you like yours, and I'll definitely consider Rythmik in the future.

For now, I have decided to go with the XV-15 over the LFM. The better warranty and customer service is what tipped me over to PSA, and I can't wait to get it in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for everyone's input!
Good choice! Tom and Jim are the best in the CS department and the XV-15 is a great sub. I am going on my third set of PSA subs. Currently I have dual XV-30's and I will be moving up to dual Triax's as soon as they ship. I am sure you will be as happy as me.
post #55 of 56
I got myself a PSA XV15 last week. Plugged it in and played Tears of the Sun. The final 30 mins of gunfire, missiles and helicopters rocked the apartment. Don't get me wrong - the entire movie was worth watching with my Polk LSI home theater and the XV15 but the last 30 mins was something I never experienced.

In the past I used klipsch rw-12d, polk psw 505. Went with the psa xv15 over the outlaw lfm-ex, hsu and Rythmik after researching the forums. Price, space, low end frequency, volume, customer service and warranty were considered. Thanks for your inputs guys.
Edited by peerguy - 11/1/13 at 6:49am
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by peerguy View Post

I got myself a PSA XV15 last week. Plugged it in and played Tears of the Sun. The final 30 mins of gunfire, missiles and helicopters rocked the apartment. Don't get me wrong - the entire movie was worth watching with my Polk LSI home theater and the XV15 but the last 30 mins was something I never experienced.

In the past I used klipsch rw-12d, polk psw 505. Went with the psa xv15 over the outlaw lfm-ex, hsu and Rythmik after researching the forums. Price, space, low end frequency, volume, customer service and warranty were considered. Thanks for your inputs guys.

Love that movie. The music and the firefights are great demo material for a good sub.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Outlaw LFM-1 EX vs PSA XV-15