or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 2076
I noticed that the bestbuy.com is claiming the following per channel power:

SR5008 200W per channel

SR6008 230W per channel

SR7008 235W per channel

No frequency response or distortion numbers are given for these output power claims. Each is followed by the actual output power figures from the Marantz specifications.

I wonder where Best Buy is getting these numbers.

I thought we had put this kind of malarkey to bed more than 30 years ago when the FTC and manufacturers reached an agreement on the rules for claimed amplifier power output. This called for clearly defining the test environment and providing strict definitions.

While the numbers that Best Buy is using may be Peak Power Output the definition is missing and the numbers are misleading at best.

I find no claims of peak power output on the Marsntz Web Site or in the user manuals.

It looks as though we now have resellers making up their own specs.

Caveat Emptor!
post #152 of 2076
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

I noticed that the bestbuy.com is claiming the following per channel power:

SR5008 200W per channel

SR6008 230W per channel

SR7008 235W per channel

No frequency response or distortion numbers are given for these output power claims. Each is followed by the actual output power figures from the Marantz specifications.

I wonder where Best Buy is getting these numbers.

I thought we had put this kind of malarkey to bed more than 30 years ago when the FTC and manufacturers reached an agreement on the rules for claimed amplifier power output. This called for clearly defining the test environment and providing strict definitions.

While the numbers that Best Buy is using may be Peak Power Output the definition is missing and the numbers are misleading at best.

I find no claims of peak power output on the Marsntz Web Site or in the user manuals.

It looks as though we now have resellers making up their own specs.

Caveat Emptor!

Those are specifications for Power output @ 6 ohms, 1 channel drive. Those specifications are pretty common in EU and Asia.



http://www.marantz.asia/sg/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HomeTheatre&SubCatId=AVReceiver&ProductId=SR7008#.UhEbz7zFaY0
post #153 of 2076
Thanks Enrico.

This is the US Marantz web site and the US Best Buy Web Site.

Due to FTC rules Marantz does not list this spec on their US Web site or Marketing Materials. When they do list it in other Countries they clearly state the measurement criteria.

I would say that Marantz needs to get in touch with Best Buy and suggest that power specs be shown properly annotated.
post #154 of 2076
Reseller websites often misquote the mfr specs ... not to mention, even the mfr misquotes it's own specs sometimes. wink.gif
post #155 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post


Glad you solved your problem! Just wondering: what speakers are you using for your center and front left and right channels? I find them to have a very attractive appearance...

Thanks. The L and R are B&W 684s the center is a B&W CC6.
post #156 of 2076
I have the 5008 and when using the NETWORK apps such as Spotify, I am noticing there is no screensaver or screensaving animation? I dont see any settings for it and nothing comes up with on a owners manual search. Weird right?
post #157 of 2076
^^
There is no screensaver, rather you have the option of the Network source GUI menu remaining on or turning off after 30 seconds as noted on p. 153 in your Owner's manual.

post #158 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post


Glad you solved your problem! Just wondering: what speakers are you using for your center and front left and right channels? I find them to have a very attractive appearance...
The fronts look like the B&W CM9.

*edit*
Nevermind, I just saw the B&W owner's post.
post #159 of 2076
^
Thanks, anyway...
post #160 of 2076
I get a prompt saying "New firmware is available" But it is unresponsive. If I click "update now" nothing happens and it will not let me select "cancel' It is just stuck on the screen and will not let me doing anything to get rid of it.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I guess I will hit reset and lose all my setting but this appears only to deal with firmware up date.

I called Marantz and they are at lunch of the next 1 1/2 hours. Their whole phone system is shut down until lunch is over.
post #161 of 2076
Have you ever successfully updated the firmware on your unit? Do you have a wired or wireless connection to the router (wired is recommended)? Try rebooting the router.
post #162 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I have an opportunity to buy either the Pioneer Elite SC-68 or the Marantz 7008. Still undecided. Have read both manuals and still trying to decide. Anyone have any thoughts on this choice?

I was in a similar boat. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool ICE amp guy. Basically, the Elite didn't seem to have the same feature set in regard to Zone 2/3. What cinched it was the lack of an "all zones" / party mode on the Elite. I really wanted to have all three zones play the same music. But certainly, I hate how much hotter a traditional amp runs.
post #163 of 2076
Hello there

I've been following this thread with interest, since I'm currently the owner of an (again) failing Onkyo TX-NR3008 and looking for alternatives. The Marantz SR7008 looks like a very reasonable receiver, and I do like the pure and simple design.

Going through the online manual of the 7007 I noticed that bi-amping for the front speakers is possible, but the wording was a little bit confusing (plus I'm not a native English speaker). Just to make sure this should work, I'll hook it up to two Sonus Faber Venere large stand front speakers which I'd like to bi-amp, then without bi-amping a Venere Center and also without bi-amping two smaller Venere Surround speakers. And last, but not least the Martin Logan subwoofer. The manual said something about the back/surround speakers not being supported for bi-amping (not that I would want that); I just want to make sure that bi-amping the front speakers will not mean that I can't hook up the surround speakers.

Thanks for your help!

Regards
Fermin
post #164 of 2076
Not that it will likely add anything to your listening experience, but yes, with any Marantz 7.1 model you can have a 5.1 setup with "side" surrounds and still have 2CH left over to bi-amp the front mains, noting that ONLY bi-amping of the front mains is possible.
post #165 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Have you ever successfully updated the firmware on your unit? Do you have a wired or wireless connection to the router (wired is recommended)? Try rebooting the router.

I finally got it to update the firmware (I only got the unit 2 days ago). The firmware prompt was stuck on the screen. I unplugged the 7008 and then did a 'reset' and rebooted and the prompt finally worked, I was able to click 'yes' and the update started.
Of course I lost all my settings.
Later last night the 7008 started shutting off ever 5 minutes. I don't know why. I had to manually do 'reset' and reboot again and it finally stayed on till I shut it off around midnight.

Not sure why it would do that, the unit is making me nervous. One more episode and I will take it back.

I have a wired connection.
post #166 of 2076
Shutting off is not a good sign. I'd take it back if I were you.
post #167 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

Shutting off is not a good sign. I'd take it back if I were you.

Yeah maybe you are right. I will test for a couple more days and see if it does it again. Do these units have a habit of over heating?
post #168 of 2076
I have the 6008. It gets warm but not hot, and it hasn't shut off.
What speakers do you have?
post #169 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I have the 6008. It gets warm but not hot, and it hasn't shut off.
What speakers do you have?

I have Swan 9.1 setup.
post #170 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I finally got it to update the firmware (I only got the unit 2 days ago). The firmware prompt was stuck on the screen. I unplugged the 7008 and then did a 'reset' and rebooted and the prompt finally worked, I was able to click 'yes' and the update started.
Of course I lost all my settings.
Later last night the 7008 started shutting off ever 5 minutes. I don't know why. I had to manually do 'reset' and reboot again and it finally stayed on till I shut it off around midnight.

Not sure why it would do that, the unit is making me nervous. One more episode and I will take it back.

I have a wired connection.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_B10

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I have Swan 9.1 setup.

What volume level are you using and what impedance are the speakers as the AVR is not designed to power low ohm speakers at high volume levels?
post #171 of 2076
Picked up a 5008 about one week ago...so far I am very pleased. GUI is simple, and intuitive. I find navigating the menu's and making adjustments is a breeze. And the remote...thing of beauty - when compared to the likes of all the other receivers (like Pioneer for one) who consistently manage to jam 150 pint sized buttons onto one remote. In a word I find this receiver to be very 'simple' - and not in a bad way. I am running it with the Aperion intimus 5T Hybrid (5.1 config). Thus far it sounds great...I will do some more tinkering in the coming weeks once the amp has time to 'settle' and the speakers too as the entire rig is new. I thought about getting the SR6008 but I cannot see any major differences aside an extra 10 watts per channel...which IMHO has little if any impact depending on the speakers you are using...which in most cases don't even need 100 watts to run at optimal level anyhow. Aside from that...the gold connectors are nice but not a huge deal...the one thing I may regret later on is the lack of Zone 2 video out. Would have loved to go for the 7008 but the wife would have had my gonads eek.gif as it was a little to much $$...she had me on a $3500.00 'cap' so I had to make some concessions.
What are your collective thoughts on using 'Direct', or 'Pure Direct' compared to other sound modes?The Direct modes disables the Audyssey MultiEQ settings which kinda stinks...so while you get pure unadulterated sound from the source, it is not as tonally balanced (EQ'd), as running in non-Direct mode and using Audyssey.
I guess there is some truth to the "You can't have your cake and eat it too" saying (which I have always hated BTW). mad.gif
post #172 of 2076
You'll likely find that the benefit of using Audyssey will outweigh any desire to use DIRECT/PURE DIRECT.
post #173 of 2076
Yes in fact I did notice last night the difference between the two. The direct modes did sound very clear and crisp...but the Audyssey setting seemed to achieve a greater degree separation across the full spectrum.
post #174 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I encountered something that I thought is strange. I wanted to play some apple losless tracks through the network feature from my NAS but the receiver wouldn't play them. No problem playing my tracks in MP3 format.
Then I used AirPlay to play apple losless tracks from my PC, which is connected to the SR6008, and they played with no problem. I thought that was strange.

*update*

Everything is working fine now. It was a setting in the NAS that was preventing the 6008 to see the WAV and ALAC files. Now it plays them with no problem.
I am very impressed by this receiver. It's the best I've ever owned.
post #175 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_B10

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E9
What volume level are you using and what impedance are the speakers as the AVR is not designed to power low ohm speakers at high volume levels?

Thank you for the links. I will check and see if any wires are touching before I turn it on today.
My volume level is around 50 to 60 and I have it set at 8 ohms.

BTW how do you activate the ARC on the 7008? I can't seem to find any mention of it in the manual. With the Pioneer you could select on or off. But don't see that option in the setup menu.
post #176 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Thank you for the links. I will check and see if any wires are touching before I turn it on today.
My volume level is around 50 to 60 and I have it set at 8 ohms.

BTW how do you activate the ARC on the 7008? I can't seem to find any mention of it in the manual. With the Pioneer you could select on or off. But don't see that option in the setup menu.

There is no 'manual' setting to engage (or disengage) the Audio Return Channel...it is automatic. Is your HDTV ARC - capable? Or are you running an optical cable back from the set in to the Marantz?
post #177 of 2076
Slight correction to my response above regarding ARC functionality - *IF* you are using a T.V equipped with ARC, you will need to set "HDMI Control" in the Marantz to - "ON". If however you are using an optical cable, the HDMI Control has no bearing on ARC and instead you would access T.V audio by simply pressing the "T.V Audio" button on the remote. This is assuming of course you have not re-assigned the optical in for T.V Audio in the Input Settings.
Edited by Chris0119 - 8/21/13 at 10:57am
post #178 of 2076
Ive had my 5008 for a week now and all the while I have been plagued by video issues. On a typical evening watching a couple hours of TV (Multiple sources....DirecTV, AppleTV iTunes movies or Netflix) the picture will eventually kick into straight up judder and it may or may not go away without a reboot. Even when not overtly judderpalooza, I occasionally notice juddery type ghosting on action. I work in film/ television post production and I know my video, how to test connections and settings. I have swapped out all my HDMI cables more than once on all relevant connections. I have had video conversion turned on and off, as well as tried about every combo of video settings. So before I take the unit back I wanted to pick your brains... A little more info: Only thing to change in my setup is the receiver. I Have updated the firmware. My TV is a 50 inch Samsung LCD from a few years back, 60hz refresh. I thought it might be that I am using a 15 foot HDMI cable to the monitor? But my Google search research says pretty clearly that run should NOT be a problem (although the description of such problems fits pretty well with my problems). I would swap it out for a shorter cable, just to test, but that test is moot because I need that length regardless. I really don't want to have to take this back to Best Buy and deal with those know nothing yahoos...hopefully yall are some insightful mofos... thanks in advance for any help! biggrin.gif
post #179 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Thank you for the links. I will check and see if any wires are touching before I turn it on today.
My volume level is around 50 to 60 and I have it set at 8 ohms.

BTW how do you activate the ARC on the 7008? I can't seem to find any mention of it in the manual. With the Pioneer you could select on or off. But don't see that option in the setup menu.

Please review that whole post that I linked to as there are many topics that I discuss to include the following section on ARC .... and although written using Denon model language, the same applies to the sister Marantz models as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E4
post #180 of 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzmo View Post

Ive had my 5008 for a week now and all the while I have been plagued by video issues. On a typical evening watching a couple hours of TV (Multiple sources....DirecTV, AppleTV iTunes movies or Netflix) the picture will eventually kick into straight up judder and it may or may not go away without a reboot. Even when not overtly judderpalooza, I occasionally notice juddery type ghosting on action. I work in film/ television post production and I know my video, how to test connections and settings. I have swapped out all my HDMI cables more than once on all relevant connections. I have had video conversion turned on and off, as well as tried about every combo of video settings. So before I take the unit back I wanted to pick your brains... A little more info: Only thing to change in my setup is the receiver. I Have updated the firmware. My TV is a 50 inch Samsung LCD from a few years back, 60hz refresh. I thought it might be that I am using a 15 foot HDMI cable to the monitor? But my Google search research says pretty clearly that run should NOT be a problem (although the description of such problems fits pretty well with my problems). I would swap it out for a shorter cable, just to test, but that test is moot because I need that length regardless. I really don't want to have to take this back to Best Buy and deal with those know nothing yahoos...hopefully yall are some insightful mofos... thanks in advance for any help! biggrin.gif

Moot? Not quite. It would confirm whether there is a problem with the 15' cable or not (although granted 15' shouldn't normally be an issue).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread