or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Good Speakers For Music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Speakers For Music?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I'm looking at purchasing a pair of floor speakers that would be great for music but also with being able to expand to a full 5.1 at some point as well as for movies (mainly music though).

In your personal opinions, what speakers are most notable for their great sound in music without a sense of fatigue?

Bowers and Wilkins, Energy, Klipsch, Polk, etc.

Open to all ideas! Thanks!
post #2 of 27
Budget? If price is no object, one of the best speakers I have heard in recent memory are Raidho speakers, else I would recommend any of the lines from B&W to suit your budget. You can probably get cheaper speakers that are good (esp internet direct speakers) but imho they are ugly and I like auditioning speakers at showrooms before making a purchase. Plus, B&W speakers hold value better than almost any other brand so even after 5 years they would probably be worth over 50pc of what you paid for them.
post #3 of 27
Budget for the towers?
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Okay sweet! I'm looking at around a max of 550 each but preferably less, I think that's the price tag of the 683b or 684b B&W, can't remember which. Ha. But still open to options!
post #5 of 27
HTD Level 3 Towers
EMP E55Ti
Arx A5
JBL L890
Polk RTiA7

Lot of options at this price point, I would try and audition as many as you can and see what you like.
post #6 of 27
I would begin with Kef Q700 or Q900 towers and build a system over time. Excellent speakers, IMO quite a bit better for music than B&W. Here's a good resource for information and measurements.
post #7 of 27
Didn't the q900 measure pretty rough in the midrange?
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egersett View Post

Okay sweet! I'm looking at around a max of 550 each but preferably less, I think that's the price tag of the 683b or 684b B&W, can't remember which. Ha. But still open to options!

The Swan D2.1se+ here are arguably the best new speakers available at the $550 price point for music, and they do have a matching center speaker/surrounds. A no-brainer IMO.
post #9 of 27
I am biased towards B&W speakers so the 600 series is clear choice. Look at the 685 over the 686 as you want a but more bass for a 2ch setup.
post #10 of 27
I´m not a big fan of horn tweeters for music (Klipsch) but plenty of other listeners are. Bottom line is that you need to get out and listen to determine what you like. Don´t be afraid to try out internet direct retailers such as HSU, Ascend Acoustics, etc. as well. Also, what´s your budget?
post #11 of 27
+1 on Ascend Acoustics. They sound so detailed, natural, and they sound big. Sorry, I just use my adjectives, I haven't made sense of all the audio jargon for adjectives yet. I know great sound when I hear it, check them out. www.ascendacoustics.com
post #12 of 27
At that budget, I would go audition kef q900 and revel f12.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

+1 on Ascend Acoustics. They sound so detailed, natural, and they sound big. Sorry, I just use my adjectives, I haven't made sense of all the audio jargon for adjectives yet. I know great sound when I hear it, check them out. www.ascendacoustics.com

He said he wants floorstanders though. Ascend towers would bust his budget.

Wait a minute, we are on avs, where we try to make people spend more than their initial budget. biggrin.gif

Ascend towers it is then. tongue.gif
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

He said he wants floorstanders though.
So? It should be pointed out to him that if he's going to have subs that the larger size and higher price of floor standers compared to bookshelves isn't warranted, and since he stated that he intends to eventually go 5.1 that means he eventually will have subs.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

He said he wants floorstanders though. Ascend towers would bust his budget.

Wait a minute, we are on avs, where we try to make people spend more than their initial budget. biggrin.gif

Ascend towers it is then. tongue.gif

My budget was originally $600-1000. Do you know what you guys have done???? And I don't regret it! biggrin.gif
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

HTD Level 3 Towers
EMP E55Ti
Arx A5
JBL L890
Polk RTiA7

Lot of options at this price point, I would try and audition as many as you can and see what you like.

I'm also interested in floor standers in this price range. My dad owned JBL's for 20 some years when I was growing up and because of that I have always liked the company and always thought they sounded great. I own the JBL EON 210's which have been great for outdoor bbq/parties, but I have not heard any of their home speakers in years. Does anyone have opinions on the L880 or L890's?

Looking around this site I have seen some mention of the Focal 814v(716v) available on Acc4less for $850 (pair). They seem to get pretty good reviews and might also be worth looking into OP. I'm also curious on others opinions of those. Definitely much more aesthetically pleasing than the JBL's.
post #17 of 27
Klipsch Heresy II for much less, or Heresy III, if you look around, you can find a good deal.
post #18 of 27
Strange that no one ask about room dimensions.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

So? It should be pointed out to him that if he's going to have subs that the larger size and higher price of floor standers compared to bookshelves isn't warranted, and since he stated that he intends to eventually go 5.1 that means he eventually will have subs.

Come on Bill, I'm not going to get into a technical argument with you. Because I know the outcome of that, I would surely lose. If he wants a floorstander, should just suggest it to him.

This is probably the most repeated debate in audio. Floorstander vs bookshelf, that is opening a whole can of worms where people will argue back and forth. This is just like bipole vs monopole, never ending argument.

Typical arguments being:
- for the same price you could get better bookshelf
- bookshelf doesn't usually have 3-way
- bookshelf doesn't have same dynamics or output
- bookshelf has better placement options
- etc, etc, etc, neverending
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

So? It should be pointed out to him that if he's going to have subs that the larger size and higher price of floor standers compared to bookshelves isn't warranted, and since he stated that he intends to eventually go 5.1 that means he eventually will have subs.
Or you could tell him he would do better to invest in cars than speakers. That would also be off-topic.

And even then : your premise may well be wrong anyway. It's not clear that a floor speaker will indeed have a "higher price compared to bookshelves". We'd have to look at the specific units (don't forget the cost of stands). While you are at it: what should he do *before* he gets the subs? Your advice is "get a badly chose pair because it will be a good choice at some later point when you add subs"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

This is probably the most repeated debate in audio. Floorstander vs bookshelf, that is opening a whole can of worms where people will argue back and forth. This is just like bipole vs monopole, never ending argument.

Exactly! I don't think there's one "right" answer on that either and it will come down the the specific case and compared speakers. I'm not alone in that belief. There are many industry greats with a similar position (and as you point out, many in both camps).

In the end: the OP is really going to have to do some listening smile.gif
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

Come on Bill, I'm not going to get into a technical argument with you. Because I know the outcome of that, I would surely lose. If he wants a floorstander, should just suggest it to him.
I'm not arguing anything, just pointing out something to the OP that he should consider, and why.
post #22 of 27
Guess I misunderstood your post then. But when you say, floorstander "isn't warranted", it just sounded like a definitive answer of bookshelf > floorstander.

If somebody asks for floorstander I usually just recommend one, and same for bookshelf. I steer way clear of that debate.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Strange that no one ask about room dimensions.

Even stranger that no one has asked what type of music he'll be listening to. I think that makes an even bigger difference in what brand to look at.

My buddy has the JBL L890's and I can vouch for their greatness with both music (he listens to rock, metal, reggae, classic rock) and movies. I have the Polk RTi A9's and can vouch for them also. I have a very diverse musical taste (rap, rock, classic rock, reggae, soul, jazz, classical, latin, electronic) and everything sounded good with them. It's one of the reasons I chose them over the B&W 6 series.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

Guess I misunderstood your post then. But when you say, floorstander "isn't warranted", it just sounded like a definitive answer of bookshelf > floorstander.
If one has subs then from a sonic perspective floorstanders aren't warranted. That doesn't mean that you can't use them, it does mean that you don't need to. Since consumers aren't made aware of that fact by the majority of those who make and market speakers they should hear it from somebody before making a choice as to what best suits their needs.
Quote:
Even stranger that no one has asked what type of music he'll be listening to. I think that makes an even bigger difference in what brand to look at.
Accurate response is a desired trait no matter what you listen to. Perhaps some symphonic aficionados/snobs might say that if you listen to hip-hop it's OK if your speakers suck because no matter how good the speakers are what you'll hear will suck anyway, but that's just silly posturing. Even the oft mentioned HT versus music debate is for the most part meaningless. An HT system would generally be preferred to go lower than music only, but that's about the only consideration. If HT sounds good on a system music will sound equally good. If HT sounds bad music will as well.
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hey everybody, I made a decision. And of course I went over budget but eh, kind of how it goes...Haha. Spent three hours in the magnolia theater at the good'ol Best Buy and was looking at the Bowers and Wilkins 684b but compared them to their 683b as well as 685b and decided for my budget now that I went with the 685b and got a Pioneer SC-61 with stands and some nice cables as well as a decent surge protector. Gonna go pick up an AV tower this weekend. I plan on buying a Bowers and Wilkins sub next or else another pair of 685b's and then after that to buy a pair of 683b's for the floors in the near future when my budget allows it. Ha. Listened to the 683b's vs 84s and it made all the difference to my ears so I decided I would but the 685b's for now and wait until I have the cash for the floor speakers that I TRULY want. Thank you all for your help!
post #26 of 27
Nice choice on the speakers. I would not, however, go with one of the B&W subwoofers. The SQ is fine but they´re much more expensive than most other quality subwoofers. Check out HSU research, SVS, Rhythmik, and Outlaw Audio for superior options.
post #27 of 27
I hope you got a really good deal on the SC-61 as well since it is an older model now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Good Speakers For Music?