or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › XBox 360 storage Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XBox 360 storage Question

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I just dipped below 70gb free on my 360, I was wondering what options I have? I have a new xbox 360 slim. Am going to have to pick and choose my installed games or can I use an external HDD like (I believe, been awhile since I had one) a PS3?
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

I just dipped below 70gb free on my 360, I was wondering what options I have? I have a new xbox 360 slim. Am going to have to pick and choose my installed games or can I use an external HDD like (I believe, been awhile since I had one) a PS3?

What size HDD do you have? If you have the largest size, 320GB, you're either in pick and choose mode or if you have other media on the drive move it to an external drive and save the internal drive for just games/dlc. Unfortunately the 360 doesn't allow external drives for games. Neither does the PS3 though. The PS3 allows you to use your own drive which I wish MS would implement. The One will allow an external drive to function as a game drive though which will be nice.
post #3 of 15
You can use external drives for games on demand and arcade games, if you have any of those you can always move them over.
post #4 of 15
How do you get around the 16GB limit? I mean there are ways to make it work but for all intents and purposes I'm correct. MS really doesn't want you adding storage willy nilly to the 360, something they've rectified with the One.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

How do you get around the 16GB limit? I mean there are ways to make it work but for all intents and purposes I'm correct. MS really doesn't want you adding storage willy nilly to the 360, something they've rectified with the One.

Its 32GB now they allow. I just go to the game and hit move. It moves it over for me just fine. I have yet to try the install from game discs so I am not sure if that works or not.
post #6 of 15
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/storage

half way down you can see what all your options are for storage. The USB drive is the same function as the hardrive excluding music and original xbox games.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Its 32GB now they allow. I just go to the game and hit move. It moves it over for me just fine. I have yet to try the install from game discs so I am not sure if that works or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/storage

half way down you can see what all your options are for storage. The USB drive is the same function as the hardrive excluding music and original xbox games.

Huh that's cool, didn't know that. I was working off old information. Good to know they made it somewhat easier.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Its 32GB now they allow. I just go to the game and hit move. It moves it over for me just fine. I have yet to try the install from game discs so I am not sure if that works or not.

Do you have to use the specific Xbox 360 flash drives, and if so, do they have 32gb flash drives?

-JR
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Do you have to use the specific Xbox 360 flash drives, and if so, do they have 32gb flash drives?

-JR

Not at all. Just about any flash drive will do.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Not at all. Just about any flash drive will do.

Awesome, thanks!

-JR
post #11 of 15
I have a 32GB drive and a 16GB drive installed in addition to the 250GB and on-board 512MB. They're okay for playing games from. But man, installing game discs to them is probably the most painful gaming experience ever because of how long it takes to write to typical flash drives.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I have a 32GB drive and a 16GB drive installed in addition to the 250GB and on-board 512MB. They're okay for playing games from. But man, installing game discs to them is probably the most painful gaming experience ever because of how long it takes to write to typical flash drives.

Do you have them just plugged in at all times? I've got a whopping 2.5 gigs left on my Xbox (120gb HD), and it'd be great to move a few of my games on demand loads off the HD.

-JR
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Do you have them just plugged in at all times? I've got a whopping 2.5 gigs left on my Xbox (120gb HD), and it'd be great to move a few of my games on demand loads off the HD.

-JR

yes, they both are connected 24/7 to the front USB ports of my 360 Jasper. which means I have no free ports anymore since the Kinect takes up the rear USB. So if I ever need to plug something in, I do have to remove one of them and thus lose those games until I plug the stick back in. That's why all my saves are in the cloud or the hard drive.

Luckily, I think the only wired controller I have is the old Guitar Hero white Xplorer. And that only comes out with a full party as I have a couple wireless guitars.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

yes, they both are connected 24/7 to the front USB ports of my 360 Jasper. which means I have no free ports anymore since the Kinect takes up the rear USB. So if I ever need to plug something in, I do have to remove one of them and thus lose those games until I plug the stick back in. That's why all my saves are in the cloud or the hard drive.

Luckily, I think the only wired controller I have is the old Guitar Hero white Xplorer. And that only comes out with a full party as I have a couple wireless guitars.


You dont have any USB ports in the back? I have 3 extra ones in the back. Does the kinect block the other 2?
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

You dont have any USB ports in the back? I have 3 extra ones in the back. Does the kinect block the other 2?

He has an older Xbox that only has 3 ports. 2 front 1 rear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › XBox 360 storage Question