or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › CEDIA Expo 2013 - Projector Manufacturers and Rumors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CEDIA Expo 2013 - Projector Manufacturers and Rumors

post #1 of 146
Thread Starter 
I'm just starting my planning for attending this year's CEDIA Expo (Sept. 25-28) and I felt it could be useful to collect the names of all of the projector manufacturers with exhibits at the tradeshow. Also by posting credible rumors for new projectors in this same thread, this could help those of us attending the show to be on the lookout for new projectors as we troll the tradeshow floor.

Projector Manufacturers at CEDIA Expo

To start things off, below is my initial list of manufacturers with exhibits at this year's CEDIA Expo that will, or potentially will, be introducing new projector models (I'll update this list as appropriate). Also some manufacturers will likely have off-site exhibits in nearby hotels.

DPI (booth 1940)
Epson (booth 2828)
JVC (consumer div. booth 2326, pro div. probably off-site)
Red Digital Cinema (booth 4026)
Runco/Planar (booth 2200)
Sony (booth 1100)
Wolf Cinema (booth SR-11)

Please post any additions that I need to make to this list. Also note that some manufacturers that do not have their own booth at CEDIA may have a new projector on display at someone else's booth. For example, when I attended InfoComm in June, a BenQ representative indicated they expect to have the new W7500 projector at CEDIA Expo, but I now see that BenQ does not have a booth there, so perhaps the W7500 will be in some other manufacturer's, or AV distributor's booth. In addition to BenQ, it appears that Optoma, Panasonic and Sim2 do have booths at CEDIA Expo. Please post any info you learn about cases where projectors will be showing up in some other exhibitor's booth.

__________________________________________

Rumors[ - Updated 8/16/2013/B]

Note that most of the rumors for new projectors in the existing IFA thread would also apply to CEDIA. However, US model numbers and information on prices for the US version would be new information that should be posted here.

SONY: Best rumor so far is Sony will be bringing out a VPL-HW55es (existing thread is HERE) as a replacement for the HW50es. This new 1080p projector is said to be built on the VW95 chassis and has motorized focus, zoom and probably lens memory. There are also rumors of a new lower priced 4K UHD projector from Sony, perhaps model VPL-VW500ES with an MSRP in the $12K price range.

JVC - 4K signal input, via HDMI 1.4b, added to updated e-Shift models and improved contrast ratio.

Epson - modest updates to current models, with perhaps a one new 1080p model added to the line-up.



.



.
Edited by Ron Jones - 8/16/13 at 11:52am
post #2 of 146
Sim2 will not be at CEDIA this year.
Reply
Reply
post #3 of 146
It appears that neither will Panasonic nor Optomo. So for the buys here, the big draws will be Sony, JVC, Epson, DPI, and Red if Red shows a coming soon projector. For Red my guess is that coming soon means by Cedia 2014 despite what they say to the press. We will see a lower priced 4K from Sony and my guess a 4K competitor from JVC. I think all in all 1080p machines will be marginally improved at most. 4K entry will ne reduced in costs and Red will make the biggest splash and garner the most attention but not start shipping projectors for about one year after Cedia no matter what they say. This will be a strange year because of the unavailability of HDMI 2.0 chips until next year not that any one really needs HDMI 2.0. For most projectors introduced at Cedia there will not be an upgrade to 2.0 path. No way and you can write that in cement. Sony will do it for the 1000ES but the cost would likely equal the cost of a decent new 1080p machine.
Edited by mark haflich - 7/25/13 at 11:53am
post #4 of 146
I doubt that the Planar listing above is for projection. Probably just a bunch of commercial flat panel displays at their booth. Planar doesn't do projectors anymore, only Runco.
post #5 of 146
It will be interesting to know if the rumor over on avforum about Panasonic leaving the HT market is true.
post #6 of 146
The other interesting thing will be the availability of movie content that is mainstream and decent 4K quality. The only game coming to town immediately is Sony and if you want Sony content you have no alternative than a Sony panel or projector. Where are the other projector manufacturers going to get popular content at 4K. This will change over time but at present Sony would appear to hold the content deck cards. The Nanotech $299 player appears to be nothing more than an ill conceived joke with the name 4K player attached to it. Quality 4K takes something like 20 gigs and nanotech is going to come preloaded with 10 4K movies stored on 16 gigs of memory encoder in 264. Data rates required for quality real time streaming don't really exist. Only the Sony system which requires long slow downloads stored on a large drive and the Red system seem even feasible for 4K high quality. The Red solution with its codec and storage on its Redray hard drive looks even to be a higher quality solution than the Sony puck but where is the beef, err where is the content? And the player costs $1750.
Edited by mark haflich - 7/25/13 at 3:06pm
post #7 of 146
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I doubt that the Planar listing above is for projection. Probably just a bunch of commercial flat panel displays at their booth. Planar doesn't do projectors anymore, only Runco.

Correct, Planar and Runco are actually both at the same booth (#2200)
post #8 of 146
And their exhibit is basically for dealers and press. It requires a ticket and you had better be on their list.
post #9 of 146
I don't believe the next VW95 will be $12K, you can already get a VW1000 for under $15K (Japan model) or under $18K (US model).
post #10 of 146
Fernando. We are talking $12K as a MSRP compared to $25K MSRP for the.1000ES, No one is talking street price. The debate which we are undergoing out of shear.lack of something better to discuss is what will the MSRP price be and the debate is whether rounding up the price will be $10, $11, or $12K MSRP.
post #11 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

It will be interesting to know if the rumor over on avforum about Panasonic leaving the HT market is true.

This question was posted to Pansonic UK direct and they said the rumours are not correct:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/news/1795204-panasonic-arent-pulling-out-home-cinema-projector-market.html
post #12 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post

This question was posted to Pansonic UK direct and they said the rumours are not correct:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/news/1795204-panasonic-arent-pulling-out-home-cinema-projector-market.html

thanks for the info, That's good in some regard, but they need to come up with something a lot better than the 7000->8000 change this year to stay competitive. I don't think they were counting on the RS46/X35 costing the same in the US and there is no real competition between these 2 models if we're being objective. The overall 5020 performance also exceeded the 8000 as well at the same price.

Maybe they'll surprise us and put an iris in the LED model.
post #13 of 146
Thread Starter 
Just one quick point on Panasonic. Last year they also skipped CEDIA Expo, but I heard at the time they visited Art, at Projector Reviews, and Evan, at Projector Central, to demo the 8000 just a week or two before CEDIA Expo 2012. If they really have anything new for the HT market this year (and they may not) they may have decided to go that same path to avoid the cost of exhibiting at CEDIA Expo 2013.

One other general point to keep in mind is the HT projector segment is just a small fraction of the projector market for several of the manufacturers. Panasonic was at InfoComm and had a few business projectors there (and lots and lots of flat panel displays). Epson has over 50 different projector models and perhaps only 10 or so intended for the HT market.

EPSON RUMOR: One other rumor coming out of our European members is Epson will have a new projector with motorized focus, zoom and lens memory. Also their long delayed LCD Reflective technology will finally be ready for prime time and they will be showing a new projector using that technology (perhaps this will be the one with the lens memory).



.
Edited by Ron Jones - 7/26/13 at 8:07am
post #14 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

I don't believe the next VW95 will be $12K, you can already get a VW1000 for under $15K (Japan model) or under $18K (US model).
I got my Japanese 1000ES (shipping and handling from JP to HK) just under 13K USD in May.
post #15 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

I don't believe the next VW95 will be $12K, you can already get a VW1000 for under $15K (Japan model) or under $18K (US model).

Here is my guess:

HW30 discontinued.
HW50ES stripped of glasses and spare lamp, sold in place of HW30
HW55 takes the place between HW50 and VW95.
New 4K projector, 11/12K MSRP
VW1000ES
Reply
Reply
post #16 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Just one quick point on Panasonic. Last year they also skipped CEDIA Expo, but I heard at the time they visited Art, at Projector Reviews, and Evan, at Projector Central, to demo the 8000 just a week or two before CEDIA Expo 2012. If they really have anything new for the HT market this year (and they may not) they may have decided to go that same path to avoid the cost of exhibiting at CEDIA Expo 2013.

One other general point to keep in mind is the HT projector segment is just a small fraction of the projector market for several of the manufacturers. Panasonic was at InfoComm and had a few business projectors there (and lots and lots of flat panel displays). Epson has over 50 different projector models and perhaps only 10 or so intended for the HT market.

EPSON RUMOR: One other rumor coming out of our European members is Epson will have a new projector with motorized focus, zoom and lens memory. Also their long delayed LCD Reflective technology will finally be ready for prime time and they will be showing a new projector using that technology (perhaps this will be the one with the lens memory).
.

I expected an Epson with lens memory. They need it to stay competitive. Sony, JVC and Panny have it, so it only makes sense. It amazed me that JVC, Sony and Epson let Panny have that feature all to them self for two seasons.
Reply
Reply
post #17 of 146
I hope (but don t think) that Sony and JVC developed new faster panels so they can support tripple flash for 3D. I m also pretty excited about Epsons reflective LCD panels. I wonder if it will support 3D.
post #18 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Here is my guess:

HW30 discontinued.
HW50ES stripped of glasses and spare lamp, sold in place of HW30
HW55 takes the place between HW50 and VW95.
New 4K projector, 11/12K MSRP
VW1000ES

How about a big splash, a la the Ruby, with the new 4K projector at $9,995?
post #19 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovox View Post

How about a big splash, a la the Ruby, with the new 4K projector at $9,995?

Then I would be seriously considering that projector. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #20 of 146

Besides price , what is the difference between the Japanese Sony vw1000 and the US Sony vw1000?

post #21 of 146
How long they take to ship.
post #22 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

Besides price , what is the difference between the Japanese Sony vw1000 and the US Sony vw1000?

If I don' t remember wrong, the USA model is 100V~240V? The Japanese model is 100 / 110V only.
Edited by yuettoi - 7/31/13 at 9:27am
post #23 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuettoi View Post

If I don' t remember wrong, the USA model is 100V~240V? The Japanese model is 100 / 110v only.

Is cheaper now to put an universal power supply on them all.

Just need to confirm if is universal (or not), on case of PS3 they are ALL universal, no matter which one.

Aside that, the printed manual probably is only in japanese.
post #24 of 146
Question is what will be revealed earlier at IFA in Berlin, September 6-11, rather than at CEDIA later September 25-28. Here is IFA thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477502/ifa-berlin-2013-gossip-and-live-report-from-germany
post #25 of 146
Rumor is the new HDMI 2.0 spec has been finalized and approved. A lot of industry members are pissed off about it and reportedly the big boys bought out some smaller companies to get enough votes to have their way including one big boy I am very surprised at which reportedly voted against the interest of some of its companies elements. the standard as approved is not 12 bit but only 10 bit. No 4:4:4 but 4:2:0. I don't think even 4:2:2 and only 60. There is quite a bit of discussion about this in the reduser forum under the Odemax in the fall thread. No display port. See Stacey Spears posts starting on page 10 or so.
Edited by mark haflich - 7/31/13 at 8:39am
post #26 of 146
Disappointing. Can't we just move away from HDMI completely (honestly, is there anyone in this industry that doesn't think it sucks) and go with HDBaseT. It would just solve SO many issues, rather than HDMI causing more than it solves.
post #27 of 146
We can but THEY won't. We are just suffering bastards. What does it do, the new 2.0. Its obsolete probably not being adequate for today's technology let alone the futures. So what? There will be further HDMIs and the need for upgrades etc in the future. I do find the concept of Kris being a suffering bastard somewhat amusing. smile.gif
post #28 of 146
HDMI 2.0 what a waste I just heard lots about it.

There was a huge push for HDbaset at infocomm and prior
post #29 of 146
At least we got 10 bits and 4:2:0 and 24 at 60hz for UHD. Not sure for 4K. Not a complete waste but far from ideal due to vote buying if the reports are true.
Edited by mark haflich - 7/31/13 at 11:38am
post #30 of 146
4:2:2 would have been better. Is there really that much money to be had with HDMI? DisplayPort is still far superior over this new HDMI spec. I guess HDMI has brand recognition, but I alway thought that people kind of expect to buy something new when we get a new format. A new $15 cable is the least of most people worries when spending thousands on a new display and player.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › CEDIA Expo 2013 - Projector Manufacturers and Rumors