or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix to charge for more devices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix to charge for more devices.

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
Got a rude message onscreen when trying to continue streaming "Lost" from Netflix. It said something along the lines of "you already have two devices in use, close one device to continue". WTF??

One of my grandsons was on the kindle watching the Avengers and my wife was streaming "Revenge". This means (with the new policy) I'm the odd man out.

Netflix offered to give me access for more devices for a (phen)nominal fee but 90% of the time I don't need them.

Their logic is that too many folks are "stealing" their service. I certainly am not and haven't for the 6-8 years they've been debiting my bank account. I told them to check the IPs that all sreaming was coming to my home. They were unmoved and, eventually, disconnected.

I'm a pretty easy-going guy but this just sticks in my craw.

Thoughts?
post #2 of 4

Account sharing has become an issue for them, as subscribers in very large numbers shared their account info, not just with immediate household members, but out of house friends and family. Apparently, it got so bad they started to follow a rule that they previously never bothered enforcing-a limit of 2 simultaneous streams per account, beginning in summer of 2012. Before that, you could stream additional titles based on what dvd plan you subscribed to (one additional stream for each dvd in the plan). They began doing this last year, moving slowly across the subscriber base. Either you never noticed it, or they finally got around to you.

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/22/should-netflix-crack-down-on-account-sharing-freeloaders/

 

This summer, they have introduced a ''Family'' plan allowing 4 concurrent streams for $11.99. The rudeness of the rep who hung up on you, is obviously, unacceptable.

post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Account sharing has become an issue for them, as subscribers in very large numbers shared their account info, not just with immediate household members, but out of house friends and family. Apparently, it got so bad they started to follow a rule that they previously never bothered enforcing-a limit of 2 simultaneous streams per account, beginning in summer of 2012. Before that, you could stream additional titles based on what dvd plan you subscribed to (one additional stream for each dvd in the plan). They began doing this last year, moving slowly across the subscriber base. Either you never noticed it, or they finally got around to you.
http://consumerist.com/2013/04/22/should-netflix-crack-down-on-account-sharing-freeloaders/

This summer, they have introduced a ''Family'' plan allowing 4 concurrent streams for $11.99. The rudeness of the rep who hung up on you, is obviously, unacceptable.

I had streaming plus a two dvd plan. Wouldn't that give me four streaming then?

When I called they were quite rude when I asked if they couldn't just check my IP address. I'm not cheating I just have six tvs, three kindles and a bunch of grandkids.

I agree there's probably those who share their logins. IPs should tell the story no?
post #4 of 4
Quote:
I had streaming plus a two dvd plan. Wouldn't that give me four streaming then?

Not any more (I have had the same plan as you). I could stream 4 titles at a given time. That ended for me last fall. The dvd plan no longer provides for additional streaming beyond the 2 title cap.

 

 

Quote:
I agree there's probably those who share their logins. IPs should tell the story no?

It should, but then there's mobile devices that may use wifi access away from home. But since they know which devices are being using, if multiple blu ray players and PS3s are accessing NF from different locations and ISPs other than the address on the account, that should be an even more glaring indication of exactly who's sharing or not. ,

Just seems to be a Pandora's Box they don't publicly want to open.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix to charge for more devices.