or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Evolution Kit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evolution Kit

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Has anyone tried the Evolution Kit? Is it a worthwhile addition? Just curious.
I noticed Value Electronics was selling them for about $250. Seems like a lot of money.
post #2 of 12
There is whole thread on it over in the LED section.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

There is whole thread on it over in the LED section.

Thanks, I don't go to the LED thread very often.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtold View Post

Has anyone tried the Evolution Kit? Is it a worthwhile addition? Just curious.
I noticed Value Electronics was selling them for about $250. Seems like a lot of money.

Why not get a Roku for $59 to $99, depending on the model, and have 500 more channels than the Smart Hub offers?
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat View Post

Why not get a Roku for $59 to $99, depending on the model, and have 500 more channels than the Smart Hub offers?

Doesn't the Ev kit upgrade picture quality?
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

Doesn't the Ev kit upgrade picture quality?

Not that I have read? It just has a quad core processor and 1.5 gigs of memory for better streaming and upgrades certain Samsung models to 2013 specs. Roku has 2 gigs of memory, forget the processor in it offhand, but never had a stuttering or streaming problem with my setup anyway (cable modem).

Roku has everything that Smart Hub has except Youtube, plus the other 500 channels. Most of them are free, except Netflix, Hulu Plus and a few other specialty channels. Some sports channels like MLB being an example.

A great many channels are HD and the ones that are SD aren't "soft and fuzzy looking" like the way cable and satellite broadcasts are. The only soft and fuzzy pictures I've seen on Roku are some of the old 40's to 80's TV shows.

And, not that it matters as much anymore, the Roku's do wireless 5 GHz "N" protocol streaming for those with the setup for it.

And I was mistaken, the Roku's start at $49, but that's mainly for people still running a CRT without all the HD/Home Theater stuff hooked up.

Also as an added bonus for those who care, the $99 model comes with a motion controlling remote (like a Nintendo Wii) and a free copy of Angry Birds. There are lots of other games available (can you tell I'm a gamer?). Games run $0.99 to $3.99 depending on how extravagant they are? The really cool thing about the remote too (in my case anyway) is that it comes with headphones that plug into the side of it. You can watch TV or play games in the middle of the night without waking the house up!

//End Roku commercial biggrin.gif

.
Edited by Straybeat - 7/30/13 at 3:41pm
post #7 of 12
From what I read on the Evolution Kit thread mentioned earlier, it can be voice controlled, unlike Roku or Apple TV. Also, when this thread was started I Googled and saw it somewhere for $179
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopguru View Post

From what I read on the Evolution Kit thread mentioned earlier, it can be voice controlled, unlike Roku or Apple TV. Also, when this thread was started I Googled and saw it somewhere for $179

You are correct on the voice control. But like everything computer driven, it has to be trained and can be a pain in the rear unless you're real patient.

I found the Cnet review for those who enjoy them?

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-entertainment/samsung-2013-tv-evolution/4505-6449_7-35560465.html#!
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
The Cnet review was informative. It called the kit a device to upgrade 2012 models to 2013.

I already have a 2013 Samsung plasma so I am not upgrading from a 2012.

Unless there is something new for the 2013 models, I don't see much point in this kit.

Maybe when the 2014's come out there will be a kit to upgrade 2013's.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtold View Post

The Cnet review was informative. It called the kit a device to upgrade 2012 models to 2013.

I already have a 2013 Samsung plasma so I am not upgrading from a 2012.

Unless there is something new for the 2013 models, I don't see much point in this kit.

Maybe when the 2014's come out there will be a kit to upgrade 2013's.

Well, Katzmeier said if you buy the 2014 kit, then you'll get an upgrade to the 2015 kit (if they're still making them). You'll notice too, he said it does zero for picture quality if that was a concern?

I still think, except for voice commands, that a Roku is your best option if you're just looking for the extra channels? And a heck of a lot less expensive!
Edited by Straybeat - 7/31/13 at 5:22pm
post #11 of 12
Please help me
I got it as I mistakenly 1000/za samsung tab sek-1000/xc Evolution Kit Has a way to installsoftware??????
post #12 of 12
The Evo Kit should update the Smart Hub and the overall menu interface. But I read where it has bricked some E7000 plasmas, so I would be somewhat afraid to risk it. The newer Smart Hub adds the On TV feature and has a better display of the Samsung Apps. But I agree you would likely be better off with an external streaming box such as Roku, or possibly add a Google Chromecast dongle and display you own tablet or computer on the TV.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Evolution Kit