or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Ryse: Son of Rome for Xbox One
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ryse: Son of Rome for Xbox One - Page 2

post #31 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Lair being a promising, pretty PS3 game with disappointingly bad gameplay?

Except the comment made about Ryse was because of the whole 900p resolution. From the previews Ryse has had positive reports it plays great.

So Lair also suffered a reduction in promised resolution? Interesting. And the beat goes on.
post #32 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

So Lair also suffered a reduction in promised resolution? Interesting. And the beat goes on.

That would be the difference. They promised 1080p. When did Crytek ever state we promise 1080p?

They stated the game is Full HD. Full HD doesn't translate to just 1080p. From what we can see the game isn't downgraded.

Aaron Greenberg sending a tweet saying a game is 1080p isn't a promise. Simply he was misinformed.
post #33 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Except the comment made about Ryse was because of the whole 900p resolution. From the previews Ryse has had positive reports it plays great.

Which previews? The last I heard from anyone that played it with e3, and no one had anything good to say about it.
post #34 of 349
They had it at the gamestop expo in August and it didn't look that great so I didn't bother with it...
post #35 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Which previews? The last I heard from anyone that played it with e3, and no one had anything good to say about it.


Gamescon Auguest
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/dont-worry-about-ryse-son-of-rome

From 2 months ago and since the tour has happened either people like it or they don't. Like any other game that is in existence.

Crytek didn't make any promises. They talked about changes that happens with every game in developement and arm chair analyst called them downgrades without any facts. The latest story trailer looks damn good to me IMO.
Edited by mboojigga - 10/20/13 at 7:41pm
post #36 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Gamescon Auguest
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/dont-worry-about-ryse-son-of-rome

From 2 months ago and since the tour has happened either people like it or they don't. Like any other game that is in existence.

Like LAIR?

tongue.gif

Crytek, IMO, has always been like ID Software. Excellent software engines, and mediocre games that tend to be sufficient tech demos to sell the engine.

From what I've seen from Ryse the set pieces and engine are pretty impressive. The gameplay looks non existent and there's major issues animation, AI, and combat. Maybe they've just totally flubbed the marketing and this is some sort of deep arcade fighter under the hood; but nothing they've shown has been anything but a button masher with QTE finishers that don't even matter.
post #37 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Like LAIR?

tongue.gif

Crytek, IMO, has always been like ID Software. Excellent software engines, and mediocre games that tend to be sufficient tech demos to sell the engine.

From what I've seen from Ryse the set pieces and engine are pretty impressive. The gameplay looks non existent and there's major issues animation, AI, and combat. Maybe they've just totally flubbed the marketing and this is some sort of deep arcade fighter under the hood; but nothing they've shown has been anything but a button masher with QTE finishers that don't even matter.

SEE THERE HE IS biggrin.gif

But I agree about what you say when it comes to Crytek. I just haven't been happy with Crysis since the first game but with Ryse it is a fresh game from them and from what we know it goes deeper than just QTE finishers.
post #38 of 349
There were positive impressions of the game expressed in the following, from about a week ago:

Xbox Area One Tour - Philadelphia Highlights (Click to show)
post #39 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

There were positive impressions of the game expressed in the following, from about a week ago:
  Xbox Area One Tour - Philadelphia Highlights (Click to show)

 

Of course there were. :p

post #40 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Crytek, IMO, has always been like ID Software. Excellent software engines, and mediocre games that tend to be sufficient tech demos to sell the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

But I agree about what you say when it comes to Crytek. I just haven't been happy with Crysis since the first game...

IMO respectfully totally disagree - Crysis 2 and 3 on PC are fantastic - gameplay is much tighter and more intense than "pretty but tech demo", and the story is interesting too.

If Ryse is anything like those two games, then I am IN.
post #41 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Of course there were. tongue.gif

Hey--they were the honest impressions of hyped up gamers biggrin.gif.

We really won't know much until reviews roll in. Demos that people bring to shows tend to be cut from stable builds a month or two old. I have my fingers crossed, since with Watch Dogs and Kinect Sports Champions gone my launch game list is dwindling. I don't play racing games or contemporary war shooters nor do I have a strong interest in DR 3. It's down to Ryse and AC 4.
post #42 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It's down to Ryse and AC 4.

frown.gif
post #43 of 349
Here is what looks like a new commercial for the game that mixes mostly live action with a nice switch to game play at the end.
post #44 of 349
Thread Starter 
damn, this game looks good. I think this game will surprise a lot of people. They've been talking Batman-like combat mechanics. Just like Batman, you can button mash, but if you want the better combos and the executions, you have to be precise.

here's an article from examiner.com:

http://www.examiner.com/article/ryse-son-of-rome-more-batman-arkham-than-qte-fest

Ryse: Son of Rome has been slammed as a QTE (Quick Time Event)-centric game since it was demoed at E3 earlier this year. That’s not a fair assessment of the game heading into the November launch of the console following a hands-on experience with the game’s Gladiator mode at an Xbox One Tour event in Atlanta on Saturday.

The combat in Ryse has more in common with the mechanics from the Batman: Arkham series than any game on the long list of QTE heavy titles. Controls for combat consist of an attack button (X), block (A), roll (B) and shield bash (Y) with the option to initiate executions (RT) or throw spears (LT + RT).

More often than not, players will find themselves surrounded by two or more enemies who alternate attacks. Picking up the cues on when enemies are getting ready to attack is the key to blocking or dodging and counter-attacking. Additionally, there are enemies that have to be attacked in certain ways versus the standard issue barbarian. For example, the fat barbarians carrying shields need to be hit with a shield bash first for attacks to get through their defense. Conversely, fighters carrying dual swords require the player to block a series of attacks before they are exposed to attack.

QTEs are present but are limited, at least in the Gladiator mode, to executions which are prompted with a small visual cue over an enemy’s head which is the sign to press the RT button. Once initiated, the enemy will flash and a sound cue will be given as well when the player needs to press a button. The execution will still complete whether or not any button is pressed but the score is dependent on the timing.

This is all up to the player though as they can decide whether if they even want to initiate an execution or even try to setup a dual execution.

The combat in Ryse has a satisfying rhythm to it – block, attack, roll, slam, attack, execution – that belies early criticisms of the game as QTE-centric. While it remains to be seen if the campaign is loaded with QTE sequences, the flow of the Gladiator combat combined with the game’s impressive graphics completely changed this Examiner’s opinion of the game headed into the Xbox One’s launch on Nov. 22.

did you guys see this vid? Making real armor and weapons...
post #45 of 349
Thread Starter 
post #46 of 349
This game seems to be really shaping up well.
post #47 of 349
It looks really nice but I'm still not sure if I'll get this. I'll need to try out the demo first before deciding.
post #48 of 349
There's going to be a 4-part live-action series "broadcast" on Machinima starting next Tuesday:

Ryse: Son of Rome - The Fall Original Series Trailer (Click to show)

There's a piece about it on Xbox Wire, here.
post #49 of 349
Here is a the archive of the Twitch stream Microsoft is did yesterday. The stream focuses on the Co-op gladiator mode.

http://www.twitch.tv/microsoftstudios/b/475026815
Edited by spid - 10/31/13 at 3:04am
post #50 of 349
So, I was just listening to a podcast where the guy talked MAJOR smack about Ryse. He tried the game out in Atlanta at the Xbox One Tour stop. If you guys have this game preordered, you might want to listen to this podcast before deciding to keep the preorder. This guy is a pretty hardcore Xbox fanboy, so for him to be talking this much smack about Ryse is not a good omen if you know what I'm saying.


The podcast I'm talking about is "The Bobby Blackwolf Show #405". Skip to the 25:20 mark of the podcast to hear the Ryse part. He also tried other various XB1 games there, so the first part is worth listening to, but if you want to hear the Ryse part, just skip to about 25 minutes in.

If Target or somebody else was going to do a B2G1 deal, I was going to pick Ryse as one of the three games I got (along with Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5), but now I'm going to have to find another game to roll with. Based on Bobby's comments, this is a rental at best. He did say the graphics were amazing, but he said the gameplay was just awful.

I will say that it's possible that the build that he's playing is really, really old, and maybe the game has actually improved leaps and bounds over the build that he played, but I don't know man... I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts, and anytime Ryse is mentioned there seems to be this audilbe sigh that people make (Arthur Gies on Rebel FM), that seems to indicate that Ryse might be a disaster. Not graphically mind you, because everybody does say the game is gorgeous. But there seems to be this under their breath disdain for Ryse, that they can't come out and say because of NDA's and embargos, but Bobby Blackwolf isn't under any of these NDA's or embargos.
post #51 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

So, I was just listening to a podcast where the guy talked MAJOR smack about Ryse. He tried the game out in Atlanta at the Xbox One Tour stop. If you guys have this game preordered, you might want to listen to this podcast before deciding to keep the preorder. This guy is a pretty hardcore Xbox fanboy, so for him to be talking this much smack about Ryse is not a good omen if you know what I'm saying.


The podcast I'm talking about is "The Bobby Blackwolf Show #405". Skip to the 25:20 mark of the podcast to hear the Ryse part. He also tried other various XB1 games there, so the first part is worth listening to, but if you want to hear the Ryse part, just skip to about 25 minutes in.

If Target or somebody else was going to do a B2G1 deal, I was going to pick Ryse as one of the three games I got (along with Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5), but now I'm going to have to find another game to roll with. Based on Bobby's comments, this is a rental at best. He did say the graphics were amazing, but he said the gameplay was just awful.

I will say that it's possible that the build that he's playing is really, really old, and maybe the game has actually improved leaps and bounds over the build that he played, but I don't know man... I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts, and anytime Ryse is mentioned there seems to be this audilbe sigh that people make (Arthur Gies on Rebel FM), that seems to indicate that Ryse might be a disaster. Not graphically mind you, because everybody does say the game is gorgeous. But there seems to be this under their breath disdain for Ryse, that they can't come out and say because of NDA's and embargos, but Bobby Blackwolf isn't under any of these NDA's or embargos.

If I even cared about his opinion he should know the build before release and on the tour is old because they stated as such and for a podcast at 400 it should be common knowledge. The game is comin in less than a month.
post #52 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

But there seems to be this under their breath disdain for Ryse, that they can't come out and say because of NDA's and embargos, but Bobby Blackwolf isn't under any of these NDA's or embargos.

I don't buy the "embargos, NDA and whatnot". I have played the game at a few different events, leading from E3 to Pax Prime to MS specific marketing and press events (not Xbox One Tour or Mall Stops) and have been free to talk abotu what I want.

I regards to my impressions, I would say that I am "mixed". Well I don't think the game is the next "big thing", I can say the gameplay has promise. Sure, it's not some deep and engrossing experience that will set the world on fire, but that article earlier up about timing and precision is spot on. There is a bit more to the combat then button mashing, and you don't have to do the brief QTE finisher moves if you don't want to. They are opitional.

We all don't knwo about the full story, and how engrossing that maybe, so how can we say anything about that...and what the single player experience will be like. We don't have a full grasp about that at this point.

There is an event in Toronto for media next week and we'll have a writer there, so hopefully he can have more time with the game in a closer to finished state.

In the end, i am keeping my expectations realistic for Ryse based on my time with it so far, as well as the mixed thoughts I see online.

Outtie
post #53 of 349
when I'm talking about NDA's, I'm talking about the people that are on podcasts, but they work for big gaming websites like IGN or Polygon, etc, etc. If anybody here listens to Rebel FM, Arthur Gies in particular, whenever Ryse is mentioned, it seems like there is this audible reaction (hard to describe, but if you heard it you'd know exactly what I'm talking about), that seems to bode badly for Ryse. I'm almost positive that Gies and many others have signed NDA's and are under embargos and they can't say anything about it till the 22nd.

I'll just say this, I think the podcasts that are up after these embargos finally come down, these podcasts are going to be VERY interesting.
post #54 of 349
I'm already DD-only for the 360 and I hope to never handle an Xbox One game disc. I will read and watch the reviews of the full game before buying. The impressions of people who've fiddled with a demo cobbled from an old build for half an hour are of limited use.
post #55 of 349
post #56 of 349
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ryse_son_of_rome/b/xboxone/archive/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-rome-is-as-fun-as-dialing-phone-numbers.aspx

Ryse: Son of Rome
Ryse: Son Of Rome Is As Fun As Dialing Phone Numbers

Quote:
If you’ve ever watched Lost, you’re familiar with the character of Desmond Hume. The former monk was stranded on the series’ mysterious island, and was tasked with repeatedly pressing the same series of buttons on a keyboard for weeks at a time. Why he had to do that is still pretty confusing to me (as is the rest of the series), but I was reminded of Desmond’s task for the duration of my time with the demo for Ryse: Son of Rome. I spent two hours with the Xbox One title, but it felt like I was entering random numbers into a computer rather than actually playing a video game.

It’s clear what Microsoft and developer Crytek are shooting for here. At launch, they want a big budget, epic action game that clearly demonstrates next-gen visuals. Ryse is undeniably pretty, but that’s about all it had going for it in this demo. After a painfully generic story intro, the game began teaching me similarly uninspired combat mechanics. While it tries to sound like an in-depth action game with familiar elements like perfectly-timed blocks and focus meters, the actual experience is anything but deep.

I’m hoping that later levels introduce some more difficult enemies, as the dozens of encounters I had consisted of all the complexity of dialing phone numbers. Almost every fight started with me hitting the attack button a couple of times, then pushing the enemy in an effort to stop him from breaking my combo. Then, I’d continue attacking until he was weak enough for the execution sequence. Once this occurs, the game slows down and the enemy flashes various colors. You press the face button of the appropriate color, and your protagonist Marius dismembers or murders the foe in dramatic fashion.

It’s so basic and predictable, I began testing to see if I could get past most combat situations with one hand. With my left hand completely off the controller, I was able to slice and dice through tons of enemies simply by inputting the same sequence ad nauseum. On a couple of occasions, the game would shift to sequences that involved me defending an area with crossbow stations or ordering my men to block arrows with their shields. These were somehow even less exciting than the tedious swordplay.

When I sat down at the Ryse: Son of Rome station, I was a fairly blank slate when it came to knowledge of the title. I knew it was developed by the talented team at Crytek, and I knew it was gorgeous based on the videos I had seen at conventions, so I was prepared to be impressed. What I didn’t expect was a desire to get up and leave the demo about ten minutes in. I stuck it out in hopes that it would prove itself a deeper experience over time, but its only success was ensuring my wallet will be $60 heavier when the Xbox One launches.
post #57 of 349
Video at link:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-romes-redemption

RYSE: SON OF ROME'S REDEMPTION
→ 06 NOV 2013 We played a near-final build of Ryse: Son of Rome, and the news is all good.
post #58 of 349
Joystiq's take, also negative:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-rome-and-its-low-slung-combat-ceiling/

He didn't hate it, the relentless mayhem just gradually became boring for him. He did like the ability to power-up via executions.

I'm hoping for good reviews of the full game.
post #59 of 349
Here is another couple of previews.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ryse-are-you-not-entertained/1100-6415901/


Kevin Van Ordnt found the combat a bit too violent for his taste.


Collin Campbell liked the game so much he pre-ordered after playing the game.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/6/5065862/ryse-son-of-rome-and-the-music-of-death
post #60 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Here is another couple of previews.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ryse-are-you-not-entertained/1100-6415901/


Kevin Van Ordnt found the combat a bit too violent for his taste.


Collin Campbell liked the game so much he pre-ordered after playing the game.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/6/5065862/ryse-son-of-rome-and-the-music-of-death

eek.gif Too violent??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Ryse: Son of Rome for Xbox One