or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Broadchurch on BBC America
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Broadchurch on BBC America

post #1 of 141
Thread Starter 
After seeing the posts in Hot off the Press, I remembered that I had the 8 episodes and decided to watch them in a marathon, which I finished up a little bit ago.

It is indeed an excellent series that needs to be seen. I was kept glued to the screen. Even though I had decided to watch it as a marathon, once I got started watching, there was no way I wasn't going to view all of the episodes.

Unfortunately they are going to be shown on BBCA. While the series is an ITV production, the amount of commercial time is less than it is here in the states. The first seven episodes run an average of 46.5 minutes, while the finale runs 50.5 minutes. That means BBCA is going to have to butcher the episodes in order to air them within an hour and still maintain their normal commercial load.

I have no faith in BBCA airing the episodes intact.

Hopefully they will make me eat my words, as the BBCA viewers need to see ALL of what ITV produced and aired.
post #2 of 141
I've been eagerly waiting for this and its good to hear its worth it. Hopefully you're wrong about BBCA-I know The Hour usually ran over its allotted time so I hope this one does also.
post #3 of 141
Hopefully they'll do what they do with Top Gear-run first-run eps intact and only cut rebroadcasts.
post #4 of 141
Broadchurch is an ITV series not a BBC series, so will only run 44-46 minutes per hour (as ITV airs commercials) rather than the 58-59 minutes per hour a BBC-commissioned/produced series will run (as the BBC don't air commercials in the UK).

That means Broadchurch should fit into a US commercial hour with relatively minor cuts - if any at all?

Broadchurch was very popular in the UK, though obviously took some inspiration from The Killing. The only downside is the accents. They were terrible in some cases.
post #5 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Broadchurch is an ITV series not a BBC series, so will only run 44-46 minutes per hour (as ITV airs commercials) rather than the 58-59 minutes per hour a BBC-commissioned/produced series will run (as the BBC don't air commercials in the UK).

That means Broadchurch should fit into a US commercial hour with relatively minor cuts - if any at all?

As the first post mentions, 44-46 is too long for a US commercial hour. A show needs to be running at approximately the 40 minute mark to make it without trimming.
post #6 of 141
Most modern shows in the US are clocking close to 42 minutes for an "hour" programming block... typically, though, they run ads over the end-credits to pack in a little extra commercial time...

That said... BBC America has been very good as far as I can tell about airing complete/uncut BBC programming on the night of their designated first-run. After that, you usually get a cut-for-commercial-time version... but the premiere night usually is intact and either they extend the hour by 10 minutes to make room for the commercials OR they air with a sponsor and "limited interruption".
post #7 of 141
In the past, BBC America has aired multiple one-hour UK dramas (meaning 45-46 minutes without commercials) uncut in a 60-minute timeslot (Whitechapel, Law & Order: UK, etc.), so there is no reason to assume Broadchurch will be cut for time, at least for the first 7 episodes.

What happens with episode 8, which runs 50.5 minutes, depends on the ratings for the first 7 episodes. Last fall, The Hour S2, which ran 60 minutes, was initially given a 75-minute timeslot. However, the ratings were very low, so low that the final episodes were reduced to 45 minutes in a 60-minute timeslot to allow a repeat of Law & Order: UK, which got higher ratings, to air from 10-11pm.

If enough people watch Broadchurch, making the show profitable for BBC America, then the final episode could very well air unedited in a 60-minute timeslot with limited commercials. If the ratings are just OK, then BBC America might trim 4-5 minutes from the final episode.

On the subject of editing for time, I noticed something interesting with another BBC America show, Ripper Street. BBC America, which co-produces the show, aired 55-minute episodes in a 75-minute timeslot, while BBC One aired 59-minute episodes (I "found" the first few episodes online for comparison, and they all ran around 59 minutes). However, I just bought the S1 Blu-ray, and all episodes run 62-63 minutes, so it looks like even BBC One made edits before broadcast.
post #8 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by diditagain View Post

On the subject of editing for time, I noticed something interesting with another BBC America show, Ripper Street. BBC America, which co-produces the show, aired 55-minute episodes in a 75-minute timeslot, while BBC One aired 59-minute episodes (I "found" the first few episodes online for comparison, and they all ran around 59 minutes). However, I just bought the S1 Blu-ray, and all episodes run 62-63 minutes, so it looks like even BBC One made edits before broadcast.

Could it be 24 vs 25 fps rather than edits that explain the duration difference. If the S1 Blu-ray was 1080p it will be running at 24fps rather than 25fps, so will run slower than the UK 25fps broadcasts?
post #9 of 141
Fox are re-making Broadchurch for a US audience it seems : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23546542
post #10 of 141
Noticed an extensive review of the series in today's NYTs, -- John
post #11 of 141
Loved the 1st episode, A tight, well written storyline, perfectly acted. The idyllic town with the seamy underside reminds me of Blue Velvet or Twin Peaks without the surreal strangeness.Tenant was great-love the suppressed rage and menace he projects as he takes charge.
post #12 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Loved the 1st episode, A tight, well written storyline, perfectly acted. The idyllic town with the seamy underside reminds me of Blue Velvet or Twin Peaks without the surreal strangeness.Tenant was great-love the suppressed rage and menace he projects as he takes charge.

It was very good, and very popular in the UK. (But the accents do let it down. They wander wildly and most of my friends from the area found it frustrating that such a good drama could be let down by that...)
post #13 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

...the accents do let it down...

Is that what that was? I thought they were speaking an altogether foreign language. To me they were. As Prof. Doolittle said, "Why, in America they haven't spoken it (English) in years."
post #14 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Is that what that was? I thought they were speaking an altogether foreign language. To me they were. As Prof. Doolittle said, "Why, in America they haven't spoken it (English) in years."

Yep - actors doing West Country or East Anglian accents usually end up going a bit wrong unless they are very good, or natives of the area.

(And we are two nations divided by a common language...)
post #15 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Broadchurch is an ITV series not a BBC series, so will only run 44-46 minutes per hour (as ITV airs commercials) rather than the 58-59 minutes per hour a BBC-commissioned/produced series will run (as the BBC don't air commercials in the UK).

That means Broadchurch should fit into a US commercial hour with relatively minor cuts - if any at all?

Broadchurch was very popular in the UK, though obviously took some inspiration from The Killing. The only downside is the accents. They were terrible in some cases.

Because of how popular Broadchurch had been in the UK, I setup a TiVo season pass for it on BBC America but still almost missed it because I had setup my season pass to record first run episodes only. For some reason, I learned that my guide thought every episode was a rerun and it was too late and reset the season pass to record repeats too. Fortunately, i figured it out in time to change my season pass to record every episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Yep - actors doing West Country or East Anglian accents usually end up going a bit wrong unless they are very good, or natives of the area.

(And we are two nations divided by a common language...)

Tell me about it. Twenty years ago a close friend and colleague of mine went to Europe. When we were in England my friend and I stayed with his cousin and her husband. One evening she accused me of trying to sound British, upon which I explained that what she was hearing was how I sounded everywhere. Trust me on this partner, I don't sound very British.smile.gif
post #16 of 141
Did you like it gwsat?
post #17 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Because of how popular Broadchurch had been in the UK, I setup a TiVo season pass for it on BBC America but still almost missed it because I had setup my season pass to record first run episodes only. For some reason, I learned that my guide thought every episode was a rerun and it was too late and reset the season pass to record repeats too. Fortunately, i figured it out in time to change my season pass to record every episode.
Tell me about it. Twenty years ago a close friend and colleague of mine went to Europe. When we were in England my friend and I stayed with his cousin and her husband. One evening she accused me of trying to sound British, upon which I explained that what she was hearing was how I sounded everywhere. Trust me on this partner, I don't sound very British.smile.gif

This is getting to be a too common occurrence, you'd think stations would have someone to monitor these things, as plentiful as DVR's are nowadays, you would think the possibility of thousands of viewers not catching the show would warrant a little effort reviewing the guide data.
post #18 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Loved the 1st episode, A tight, well written storyline, perfectly acted. The idyllic town with the seamy underside reminds me of Blue Velvet or Twin Peaks without the surreal strangeness.Tenant was great-love the suppressed rage and menace he projects as he takes charge.

A fine first episode. Although, the lead investigator reminded me a bit of a Doctor playing Hamlet playing a police detective inspector. wink.gif (relax ... it's just a joke for recent followers of the Who thread.)

I see Mr. Pond makes an appearance here too.
post #19 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

A fine first episode. Although, the lead investigator reminded me a bit of a Doctor playing Hamlet playing a police detective inspector. wink.gif (
.

omg, thats a relief. I thought it was just me...

Great post HD.
post #20 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Did you like it gwsat?

Because of the season pass glitch I described in an earlier post, I missed the first episode when it first ran. Fortunately, it will be rerun tonight and I will record it then. Will report my impressions after I see the show. I am optimistic about the show because of how much I like both Mark Strong and Olivia Coleman.
post #21 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Because of the season pass glitch I described in an earlier post, I missed the first episode when it first ran. Fortunately, it will be rerun tonight and I will record it then. Will report my impressions after I see the show. I am optimistic about the show because of how much I like both Mark Strong and Olivia Coleman.
Mark Strong ? is on Broadchurch ?
he's on "Low Winter Sun"
post #22 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Mark Strong ? is on Broadchurch ?
he's on "Low Winter Sun"

Brain fart. I have been confusing the two series for days. I should have said David Tennant and Olivia Coleman. A thousand pardons!smile.gif
post #23 of 141
Just got to watch the first episode of Broadchurch. Wow! I was blown away, particularly by Olivia Coleman, who was wonderful as the too-epmathetic-for-her-own-good cop, Ellie Miller, who has long lived in the little English seaside town, Broadchurch, where the show is set. Her performance at the beach when she recognized the dead little boy who had been her son's dear friend was heartbreaking. I thought David Tennant was just fine too, although it's obvious that we have a lot more to learn about his character, Alec Hardy, who has just arrived in town with scandal in his wake to be Ellie's boss. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of Broadchurch.
post #24 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Just got to watch the first episode of Broadchurch. Wow! I was blown away, particularly by Olivia Coleman, who was wonderful as the too-epmathetic-for-her-own-good cop, Ellie Miller, who has long lived in the little English seaside town, Broadchurch, where the show is set. Her performance at the beach when she recognized the dead little boy who had been her son's dear friend was heartbreaking. I thought David Tennant was just fine too, although it's obvious that we have a lot more to learn about his character, Alec Hardy, who has just arrived in town with scandal in his wake to be Ellie's boss. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of Broadchurch.

Olivia Colman is a brilliant actress - equally capable of comedy and drama. Compare her work in "Peep Show" and "Twenty Twelve" to her performances in "Broadchurch" and the film "Tyrannosaur". Amazing actress.
post #25 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Olivia Colman is a brilliant actress - equally capable of comedy and drama. Compare her work in "Peep Show" and "Twenty Twelve" to her performances in "Broadchurch" and the film "Tyrannosaur". Amazing actress.

Couldn't agree more. I first became a fan of Olivia Coleman's work on the wonderful Twenty Twelve. As you know, the show had a remarkably talented ensemble cast and I thought Coleman was among the most talented of the bunch. To digress for a moment, I thought just as highly of Jessica Hynes as the garrulous Siobhan Sharpe.
post #26 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Olivia Colman is a brilliant actress - equally capable of comedy and drama. Compare her work in "Peep Show" and "Twenty Twelve" to her performances in "Broadchurch" and the film "Tyrannosaur". Amazing actress.

Couldn't agree more. I first became a fan of Olivia Coleman's work on the wonderful Twenty Twelve. As you know, the show had a remarkably talented ensemble cast and I thought Coleman was among the most talented of the bunch. To digress for a moment, I thought just as highly of Jessica Hynes as the garrulous Siobhan Sharpe.

You men, cool, this the thing, Jessica Hynes. That character drove up the wall with her devilish ways. I'd love to see that committee reformed for some new big project.
post #27 of 141
Show reminds me of Twin Peaks. First show mirrors the Twin Peaks first show with the slow, long horror of the death of a child.
post #28 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Loved the 1st episode, A tight, well written storyline, perfectly acted. The idyllic town with the seamy underside reminds me of Blue Velvet or Twin Peaks without the surreal strangeness.Tenant was great-love the suppressed rage and menace he projects as he takes charge.

I missed this post. I think you nailed it.
post #29 of 141
Loved this episode too...The mother being frozen by the cereal box at the store was a nice touch, driving home her sense of loss. And the slow reveal of some of the secrets of the townspeople was nicely done. offerring more clues to the seamy underside of life in Broadchurch. This town makes Twin Peaks look like Mayberry!

One strange thing. Normally I have no problem seperating an actor from a role. But watching Tenant I have to confess its hard to keep the good doctor out of my head. Its my failing, not his acting, and I'm surprised I'm having this problem. It was a little bit better this episode, so maybe after a couple more it will fade. Right now its kinda distracting.
post #30 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

...the accents do let it down...

Is that what that was? I thought they were speaking an altogether foreign language. To me they were. As Prof. Doolittle said, "Why, in America they haven't spoken it (English) in years."

Um, that was Professor Henry Higgins. It was a different role played by the same actor--Rex Harrison.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Broadchurch on BBC America