or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Google Chromecast owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread

post #1 of 554
Thread Starter 

Edited by avf5 - 7/31/13 at 3:33pm
post #2 of 554
Thread Starter 
First impression... smile.gif


• Simple setup. (with on-screen instructions)
• Familiar User Interface
• Easy to use
• Stable (no delays, no lag, no hiccups) with Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies & TV, and Google Play Music (all w/o a hitch, so far).
• Sharpe PQ ( & vibrant colors)
• it does support 1080p video & 5.1surround sound (DD+ with netflix app & site)


Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies & TV, and Google Play Music apps & sites, work great as advertised ...

as far as Chrome tab projection (from PC to TV with sites that don't support "cast optimized site"), the video quality really needs those PCs specs (or reduce bitrate to 480p w/ hulu for example) anyway the chormecast browser feature still in beta till Chrome 30.


& btw, if you looking to get 5.1 surround sound from Netflix, plug the stick directly into the AV receiver.


i think Google has done a great job! on this one & i expect this product to be successful as they add more apps & sites. FYI, here.


cheers
Edited by avf5 - 7/31/13 at 8:00pm
post #3 of 554
Very excited about this device. I ordered it through Google Play on day one and snagged the Netflix discount.

Setup: Plugged into the back of my Onkyo receiver. I use a Logitech Harmony 650 remote to control my whole system, so I configured a "Watch Chromecast" activity on the remote. After plugging in the Chromecast and turning on the TV, setup was incredibly simple using Safari on my iPhone. Within 5 minutes I was up and streaming.

Initial impressions: I'm really impressed at how little you have to "prep" to get up and running. My iPhone Netflix app just showed the new Chromecast button without me even needing to update the app!

I previously streamed Netflix via my Samsung Blu-ray player. That UI was sluggish and jerky, and visual quality was good (not great). With Chromecast, the UI is much better (since I'm using my iPhone), smoother, richer, etc., and it's dead simple to touch one button to start casting to the TV. Also, visual quality is excellent. Now watching content in 1080p, with 5.1 sound when available...colors are vibrant and the images are very clear. Noticeably better than streaming via the Blu-ray player.

I haven't had a chance to mess with tab casting yet, but even if all I did was stream Netflix I would be completely satisfied that I paid $35 for this thing. Once in a while, a product comes a long that makes things so pleasurable to use at such an irresistible price...Google Chromecast is one of those things. And I expect it get better as more devs come aboard.
post #4 of 554
post #5 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrier View Post

Very excited about this device. I ordered it through Google Play on day one and snagged the Netflix discount.

Setup: Plugged into the back of my Onkyo receiver. I use a Logitech Harmony 650 remote to control my whole system, so I configured a "Watch Chromecast" activity on the remote. After plugging in the Chromecast and turning on the TV, setup was incredibly simple using Safari on my iPhone. Within 5 minutes I was up and streaming.

Initial impressions: I'm really impressed at how little you have to "prep" to get up and running. My iPhone Netflix app just showed the new Chromecast button without me even needing to update the app!

I previously streamed Netflix via my Samsung Blu-ray player. That UI was sluggish and jerky, and visual quality was good (not great). With Chromecast, the UI is much better (since I'm using my iPhone), smoother, richer, etc., and it's dead simple to touch one button to start casting to the TV. Also, visual quality is excellent. Now watching content in 1080p, with 5.1 sound when available...colors are vibrant and the images are very clear. Noticeably better than streaming via the Blu-ray player.

I haven't had a chance to mess with tab casting yet, but even if all I did was stream Netflix I would be completely satisfied that I paid $35 for this thing. Once in a while, a product comes a long that makes things so pleasurable to use at such an irresistible price...Google Chromecast is one of those things. And I expect it get better as more devs come aboard.


I also have it plugged into the AVR but i noticed it was getting hot from been to close to it …. though the stick was working fine, so i plugged the hdmi extension that i was initially trying to avoid and to my surprise, it even made a better setup.
post #6 of 554
oh I hate to be the jerk that posts this but does anyone know a way to run end around my work laptop's symantec endpoint protection firewall that appears to be blocking my ability to chromecast to my TV from my laptop?
post #7 of 554
Thread Starter 
Chromecast getting its first OTA update ... here
post #8 of 554
web video casted from my laptop was pretty jittery (at times unwatchable) last night - wonder if this will address some of that.
post #9 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

web video casted from my laptop was pretty jittery (at times unwatchable) last night - wonder if this will address some of that.

I doubt it (w/ this update). I think chromecast browser feature (via a laptop) needs Chrome 30 before we see significant improvement (Chrome 28 now).

I’d say to have the best experience (with the current beta of) chromecast browser feature (via a laptop):

1.Netflix site - here
2.YouTube site – here
3.All other sites – reduce video bitrate - here
4.All other sites – follow minimum system requirements -here
5.WiFi “strong signal” + speed & bandwidth


.
Edited by avf5 - 9/28/13 at 7:41pm
post #10 of 554
Can u mirror say ur computer running xbmc to the tv and watch what ever uve chosen on ur tv from ur computer? If so how is the quality?
post #11 of 554
Thread Starter 
I don’t run run xbmc. but fyi, you can mirror anything from Chrome browser on a computer. However the quality goes as follow:

note: on the computer there is a “cast button” (@ upper right screen) to mirror anything and there is also another “cast button” (@ lower right video) for "Play On" that is only available for the “cast optimized site” e.g., Netflix & YouTube (only/ for now )

If the site is “cast optimized site” the quality is great.
If the site is not, well … the three points (3, 4 & 5) from my above post will sure help.

Keep in mind that this (mirror anything) Chromecast browser feature still a beta. The way understand it, google is working on Chrome 30 to improve it (& maybe adding more “cast optimized site”).

Have a look @ this demo video to get some ideas…
Edited by avf5 - 8/2/13 at 12:37pm
post #12 of 554
Thread Starter 
Looks like the Chromecast packs a lot inside (Marvell Armada 1500-mini CPU). Here is a long list of supported codecs:
(source)

• H.264 high profile @ Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5
• VC-1
• MPEG2/4
• WMV9 MP
• VP6/8 SD & HD
• DIVX-HD
• Dolby Digital (AC3)
• Dolby Digital Plus
• Dolby TrueHD
• DST HD-MA
• DTS digital surround
• DTS-HD
• AAC/AAC+
• WMA
• MPEG1 Layer 1/2/3, MPEG2 Layer 2, AC3, E-AC3, HE-AAC v1L2 & v2L4, MPEG2-LC
• MP3, MPEG audio
• AC3 & DTS encode over SPDIF

Ok. edited ... cool.gif
Edited by avf5 - 8/2/13 at 2:49pm
post #13 of 554
^^ It kills me that the left out lossless audio for music and added hefty support for lossless AV formats.

*facepalm*
post #14 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

Looks like the Chromecast packs a lot inside (Marvell Armada 1500-mini CPU). Here is a long list of supported codecs:
(source)

• H.264 high profile @ Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5
• VC-1
• MPEG2/4
• WMV9 MP
• VP6/8 SD & HD
• DIVX-HD
• Dolby Digital (AC3)
• Dolby Digital Plus
• Dolby TrueHD
• DST HD-MA
• DTS digital surround
• DTS-HD
• AAC/AAC+
• WMA
• MPEG1 Layer 1/2/3, MPEG2 Layer 2, AC3, E-AC3, HE-AAC v1L2 & v2L4, MPEG2-LC
• MP3, MPEG audio
• AC3 & DTS encode over SPDIF

Ok. edited ... cool.gif

I think you need to be careful here. That is a list of what the Marvel CPU can do - not a list of what Chromecast actually supports.

This list (https://developers.google.com/cast/supported_media_types) give a list of the minimum supported media format for all Google Cast devices and is probably more representative of what Chromecast can actually do

Video codecs: H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5, VP8

Audio decoding: HE-AAC, LC-AAC, CELT/OPUS, MP3

Containers: MP4/CENC, WebM, MPEG-DASH, SmoothStreaming

Level 1 DRM support: Widevine, Playready

Subtitles:
TTML - Timed Text Markup Language
WebVTT - Web Video Text Tracks
post #15 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

...I think you need to be careful here. That is a list of what the Marvel CPU can do - not a list of what Chromecast actually supports....

It appears that the “Marvell Armada 1500-mini” is the new name for “Chromecast CPU”.

“Marvell Armada 1500-mini” > Marvell’s 88DE3005
“Chromecast CPU” > Marvell’s 88DE3005
(source)
post #16 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

It appears that the “Marvell Armada 1500-mini” is the new name for “Chromecast CPU”.

“Marvell Armada 1500-mini” > Marvell’s 88DE3005
“Chromecast CPU” > Marvell’s 88DE3005
(source)

Yes that is the point.

Just because the CPU can do it doesn't mean that the Chromecast can.

Google will decide which formats are supported and the minimum supported media format for all Google Cast devices would seem likely to be what the Chromecast can actually do.

Edit - especially if that is what they are telling developers what the minimum supported media formats are.
Edited by undecided - 8/2/13 at 11:10pm
post #17 of 554
Has anybody done A/B comparison of picture quality between Chromecast and any other media player doing Netflix/YouTube?
The colors on my Chromecast look kind of dull in comparison with PS3 when watching Netflix.
Is that normal or I have a defective unit?
Edited by vicmdv - 8/3/13 at 9:26am
post #18 of 554
Someone wake me up when I can chromecast from my ipad. So far this thing is a pretty big bummer.
post #19 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

Someone wake me up when I can chromecast from my ipad. So far this thing is a pretty big bummer.
I have to agree with you on that. Maybe someday the iPad will actually become usable.
post #20 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

It appears that the “Marvell Armada 1500-mini” is the new name for “Chromecast CPU”.

“Marvell Armada 1500-mini” > Marvell’s 88DE3005
“Chromecast CPU” > Marvell’s 88DE3005
(source)

Yes that is the point.

Just because the CPU can do it doesn't mean that the Chromecast can.

Google will decide which formats are supported and the minimum supported media format for all Google Cast devices would seem likely to be what the Chromecast can actually do.

Edit - especially if that is what they are telling developers what the minimum supported media formats are.


So, you have doubts. I just don’t see (for now) how this link can be an indication that the chromecast may not actually support this entire list of codecs? If the Google Cast SDK is currently a developer preview only and Google may change the SDK significantly prior to the official release - also items shown are the royalty-free ones.


Update: Ok. The list in “media types” is for "Google Cast" api in general. And “at a minimum” refers to spec for what to expect from an average Cast device. So that list is not an indication to what chromecast actually supports.
I guess its too early to tell how much of those codecs the Chromecast will support? But as you said, not all (probably duo to licensing). Take a look at this helpful discussion.


On a related side note, what’s interesting “VP9” (next-gen video compression codec - royalty free) is not listed on Marvell’s CPU, though its enabled in Chrome developer Ch? Fyi, VP9 for faster video-streaming performance (the highest specs to 1080p @ 4Mbps) it saves about half the bitrate and file size at the same video quality.
Edited by avf5 - 8/4/13 at 3:54am
post #21 of 554
Thread Starter 
my Chromecast got updated (from build: 12072) to “build: 12840”.
Edited by avf5 - 8/3/13 at 9:28pm
post #22 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I have to agree with you on that. Maybe someday the iPad will actually become usable.
By chromecast do you mean from the chrome browser in iPad? If you just mean to cast from the YouTube and netflix app, it's already there in iPad. I am using ipad3. That's the first thing I tried even before I attempted it grom galaxy s3 phone.
post #23 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

By chromecast do you mean from the chrome browser in iPad? If you just mean to cast from the YouTube and netflix app, it's already there in iPad. I am using ipad3. That's the first thing I tried even before I attempted it grom galaxy s3 phone.

two apps (one of which i don't subscribe to) does not make for a very useful device...

I'm sure this thing will get better but right now it's just taking up an hdmi port on my television. we are getting ready to move and have about two thirds of our stuff packed up so that's no big loss for me right now.
post #24 of 554
Got this with the Netflix deal and am wondering if I should just eBay it and make a few bucks. I already can stream Netflix on my Vizio, 360 or PS3. Never felt the need to mirror my laptop either.
post #25 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmdv View Post

Has anybody done A/B comparison of picture quality between Chromecast and any other media player doing Netflix/YouTube?
The colors on my Chromecast look kind of dull in comparison with PS3 when watching Netflix.
Is that normal or I have a defective unit?

Mad Men (Season 2 on Netflix) - comparison with an Apple TV.

The Chromecast looked pretty good - but the Apple TV was better - a little sharper and yes better colors.

Both the Apple TV and the Chromecast seemed to be getting the 3850 Kbps 1080P stream from Netflix - I am on Comcast so no Open Connect / Super HD.
post #26 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGHowie View Post

Got this with the Netflix deal and am wondering if I should just eBay it and make a few bucks. I already can stream Netflix on my Vizio, 360 or PS3. Never felt the need to mirror my laptop either.

 

I sold mine for $50 on CL to a local student here (UAB). He was pretty psyched to get his hands on one (even without the NF coupon).

 

Chromecast will be a much better all around solution once more apps come online. Along with the Roku 3, the Chromecast SDK is one of the hottest downloads competing for dev eyeballs right now.

 

I'm 50/50 between anxiously waiting for my favorite Roku channels (Revision 3 and Twit are you listening?) to adopt the Roku's new 9 tile grid interface and seeing what's next for the chromecast.

post #27 of 554
I saw this http://thecreativealternative.com/chromecast/ with information about the Chromecast and at the bottom it shows the Ebay auctions. Seems you could have gotten even more on Ebay. Now I wish I had gone out to BestBuy and bought a bunch of them that day. But then again, I hate it when people do that.
I'm glad to see the Chromecast selling so well, it means there will be more of these types of devices in the future. With even more capabilities. I just want something for under $100 that will run XBMC and use an external hard drive as a DVR. Not easy to find... "YET".
post #28 of 554
mine is collecting dust. sigh. Netflix should be giving these things away with subscriptions...
post #29 of 554
I plugged my Chromecast into the the front HDMI 3 on my Pioneer Receiver and all I get is stereo sound. No surround from Play, Youtube, or Netflix. Is it that the HDMI 3 port doesn't do surround os is the CC junk?
post #30 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by patseguin View Post

I plugged my Chromecast into the the front HDMI 3 on my Pioneer Receiver and all I get is stereo sound. No surround from Play, Youtube, or Netflix. Is it that the HDMI 3 port doesn't do surround os is the CC junk?
Have you done even the most basic troubleshooting? Plug something else like your bluray into port 3. Plug the CC into another port or straight into the TV. Did any of that work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Google Chromecast owners thread