or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Google Chromecast owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread - Page 12

post #331 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

It's probably Netflix. I find holidays create a lot of demand on their servers. Try again the next day & report back.
Also go to your list and click on "Report Problem". They have lots of titles to manage and if people don't do that they might not be aware of any problem. If that was a recent title you probably would have been served an WebM encode where the audio is a single separate file from the video streams of various resolutions. The audio file might have become corrupted.
post #332 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Also go to your list and click on "Report Problem". They have lots of titles to manage and if people don't do that they might not be aware of any problem. If that was a recent title you probably would have been served an WebM encode where the audio is a single separate file from the video streams of various resolutions. The audio file might have become corrupted.

This.

There are several kids shows we've attempted to view over the years and their audio tracks weren't right. Most notably "Shaun the Sheep", my boy loves to think of the theme song as "It's ...aun the... eeep.." because that's how the choppy audio makes it sound.
post #333 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

It's probably Netflix. I find holidays create a lot of demand on their servers. Try again the next day & report back.

I had the same problem today, so I did some troubleshooting. Turns out I get audio using stereo, but not 5.1. That is why I didn't have a problem with Pandora or Youtube -- they were transmitting in stereo. It is possible that the problem is with the switch I use to extract the digital audio -- I use a projector and my receiver. However, this was not a problem with Netflix before. Is it possible that Netflix just recently introduced 5.1 audio? I was watching The Tudors. The switch I'm using is this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2.

I need to find another good 5.1 source that supports Chromecast in order to test whether this is a problem with Netflix or with my other equipment. Or try the Chromecast on a TV that doesn't require extracting the audio.
post #334 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

Is it possible that Netflix just recently introduced 5.1 audio?

Netflix has been doing 5.1 audio for some time - although not all titles have 5.1 audio.

Since its release the Chromecast has output 5.1 DD+ if the Netlix title supports it.

Does your receiver/switch support DD+?

Older receivers may only support DD
post #335 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Netflix has been doing 5.1 audio for some time - although not all titles have 5.1 audio.

Since its release the Chromecast has output 5.1 DD+ if the Netlix title supports it.

Does your receiver/switch support DD+?

Older receivers may only support DD

My Sunfire receiver does DD, DTS, and ProLogic II with 5.1, 7.1, and I think 9.1. Shouldn't DD+ be backward compatible with DD? In any event, I went to Youtube and tried some of the THX and other 5.1 tests, and all sounded great going through the Chromecast and my receiver. Just Netflix is a problem. I also just noticed a little warning comes on my iPhone app stating "Volume not supported" when I try to play the 5.1 movies, and the volume slider is absent. I will see if I can find some DD+ tests on Youtube to determine whether that is the issue. Of course it is always possible to switch the Netflix movies to stereo (or to use my Oppo bluray player).

Edit: I just tried a DD+ 7.1 speaker test on Youtube, and it sounded fine. Of course, because I have a 5.1 system, it mixed the side and rear channels. But at least I got good sounding audio, whereas on Netflix 5.1, I get nothing. I think there is something about the Netflix implementation of audio for the Chromecast that causes the problem. I don't have this problem using my Bluray player. I'll try reporting this to Netflix.
Edited by Grampa - 1/2/14 at 2:48pm
post #336 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

Shouldn't DD+ be backward compatible with DD?.

It's not.
post #337 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

This.

There are several kids shows we've attempted to view over the years and their audio tracks weren't right. Most notably "Shaun the Sheep", my boy loves to think of the theme song as "It's ...aun the... eeep.." because that's how the choppy audio makes it sound.
That show is not even on Netflix anymore so nothing to fix there.
post #338 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

That show is not even on Netflix anymore so nothing to fix there.
Hmm, yet another one lost to licensing expirations. Not as bad a losing the Pixar documentary though, just as I was recommending it to several folks...
post #339 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

Shouldn't DD+ be backward compatible with DD?.
Quote:
It's not.

This is from the Dolby website:

"Is Dolby Digital Plus content backward-compatible?
Because Dolby Digital Plus is built on core Dolby Digital technologies, content
that is encoded with Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with the millions
of existing home theaters and playback systems worldwide equipped for
Dolby Digital playback." http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/dolby-digital-plus-faq.pdf

I suspect that the problem does have something to do with Dolby Digital Plus and my old Sunfire receiver, in that I read about similar problems that others have had. Still, my receiver recognizes content coded as DD+ from other sources (e.g., Youtube), so there is something about the way Netflix is implementing the audio coding that keeps it from working on my system.
post #340 of 558
Thank you for the correction. I didn't realize that. I confused it with TrueHD.
post #341 of 558
Hey guys -im hoping to get some help with my chromecast. My issue is that it appears the chromecast outputs 1080p video to my projector, but my projector displays better in 1080i. The 1080p resolution causes my projector to flicker. I have a basic Onkyo receiver which I have the chromecast plugged into, and the receiver does not allow me to set the output resolution and neither does the chromecast, so the device is not usable in my media room. I've moved the chromecast to the living room where it works flawlessly. Will there be a way in the future to force 1080i or even 720p?
post #342 of 558
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

My Sunfire receiver does DD, DTS, and ProLogic II with 5.1, 7.1, and I think 9.1. Shouldn't DD+ be backward compatible with DD? In any event, I went to Youtube and tried some of the THX and other 5.1 tests, and all sounded great going through the Chromecast and my receiver. Just Netflix is a problem. I also just noticed a little warning comes on my iPhone app stating "Volume not supported" when I try to play the 5.1 movies, and the volume slider is absent. I will see if I can find some DD+ tests on Youtube to determine whether that is the issue. Of course it is always possible to switch the Netflix movies to stereo (or to use my Oppo bluray player).

Edit: I just tried a DD+ 7.1 speaker test on Youtube, and it sounded fine. Of course, because I have a 5.1 system, it mixed the side and rear channels. But at least I got good sounding audio, whereas on Netflix 5.1, I get nothing. I think there is something about the Netflix implementation of audio for the Chromecast that causes the problem. I don't have this problem using my Bluray player. I'll try reporting this to Netflix.


Btw, your AVR & the switch don’t decode DD+ (also, Youtube outputs stereo, even the w/ DD+ test).

Netflix [5.1] titles output 5.1DD+ and its up to the device to pass it through or convert it to (legacy) DD. Chromecast passes DD+ through. So, if the AVR (or the switch) doesn’t decode DD+, you get no sound.

as you noted, (pass the audio signal via Oppo103/105 hdmi-in & transcode DD+) or set Netflix to 'Stereo"....
post #343 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

Btw, your AVR & the switch don’t decode DD+ (also, Youtube outputs stereo, even the w/ DD+ test).

Netflix [5.1] titles output 5.1DD+ and its up to the device to pass it through or convert it to (legacy) DD. Chromecast passes DD+ through. So, if the AVR (or the switch) doesn’t decode DD+, you get no sound.

as you noted, (pass the audio signal via Oppo103/105 hdmi-in & transcode DD+) or set Netflix to 'Stereo"....

Well, that would explain it. Thanks. But if Youtube was outputting stereo with the DD+ test, why did I hear the audio playing through each speaker individually (i.e., it played left front, center, right front, left surround, left rear, etc., and each one played individually on my system except that the left and right rear played out of my left and right surrounds, respectively)? Or at least that's what I thought I was hearing.

Also, my Oppo bluray player is the BDP-93. Does the 103 have hdmi in?
post #344 of 558
On YouTube for Android, is there any way to do the following with Chromecast:

1. Save the TV Queue for later playback or as a playlist?
2. Play a YouTube playlist in full (all items in order in playlist) via Chromecast without manually adding each to the TV queue?

Thanks!
post #345 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post

On YouTube for Android, is there any way to do the following with Chromecast:

1. Save the TV Queue for later playback or as a playlist?
2. Play a YouTube playlist in full (all items in order in playlist) via Chromecast without manually adding each to the TV queue?

Thanks!

You can do the second one by connecting to the chromecast, then clicking on the name of the playlist, and then clicking Play All. This will automatically add all videos in the Playlist to your TV queue in the order they appear in the playlist.
post #346 of 558
How is everyone's Netflix streaming looking on their Chromecast?

In November/December it was my Netflix streamer of choice while Apple TV's were having Netflix streaming problems. My Chromecast pretty consistently got 5800 kbps Super HD (tested on Example Short and looking at my router 10-minute average)

I switched back to using the Apple TV in mid-December when the issue was apparently fixed when Netflix (presumably) 'fixed' the issue by switching the Apple TV Netflix App to use Limelight as a CDN instead of Netflix Streaming Service.

For the last couple of days I have noticed my Chromecast doesn't seem to get Super HD - tonight it is bouncing between 1750 - 3000 kbps (which looks OK but not 1080P Super HD) - and guess what it is connecting to - Netflix Streaming Service as a CDN.

I just tried my Apple TV and it is still getting 5800 kbps (7.40PM PST) and connecting to Limelight.

I am on Comcast 16 Mbps
post #347 of 558
Thread Starter 
^
I got 5800 kbps but it took several tries (3000/4300 kbps).
post #348 of 558
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

Btw, your AVR & the switch don’t decode DD+ (also, Youtube outputs stereo, even the w/ DD+ test).

Netflix [5.1] titles output 5.1DD+ and its up to the device to pass it through or convert it to (legacy) DD. Chromecast passes DD+ through. So, if the AVR (or the switch) doesn’t decode DD+, you get no sound.

as you noted, (pass the audio signal via Oppo103/105 hdmi-in & transcode DD+) or set Netflix to 'Stereo"....

Well, that would explain it. Thanks. But if Youtube was outputting stereo with the DD+ test, why did I hear the audio playing through each speaker individually (i.e., it played left front, center, right front, left surround, left rear, etc., and each one played individually on my system except that the left and right rear played out of my left and right surrounds, respectively)? Or at least that's what I thought I was hearing.

Also, my Oppo bluray player is the BDP-93. Does the 103 have hdmi in?

Youtube (is not a good DD+ test), it outputs stereo (2ch PCM @ 44.1khz), so, you probably had the receiver set to simulated surround sound surround sound (e.g., “Dolby Pro-Logic II” / “Neo:6 Cinema”).
If you still wanna test DD+ with your Gear, try it with something like “HD DVD” (“Transformers” disc DD+ soundtracks) or a streaming player (w/ Netflix/Vudu 5.1DD+).

Yes, Oppo 103 &105 have hdmi-in & support DD+ (passthrough / transcode to MCP)


.
Edited by avf5 - 1/4/14 at 2:39am
post #349 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

^
I got 5800 kbps but it took several tries (3000/4300 kbps).
Your not alone as since the New Year Netflix has been struggling in maintaining a HD picture on all devices even my once flawless PS3. down right now has been reporting degrading service interruptions every night since the new year and I have been reporting on there that I can reach the service but I am having problems.
post #350 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

How is everyone's Netflix streaming looking on their Chromecast?

In November/December it was my Netflix streamer of choice while Apple TV's were having Netflix streaming problems. My Chromecast pretty consistently got 5800 kbps Super HD (tested on Example Short and looking at my router 10-minute average)

I switched back to using the Apple TV in mid-December when the issue was apparently fixed when Netflix (presumably) 'fixed' the issue by switching the Apple TV Netflix App to use Limelight as a CDN instead of Netflix Streaming Service.

For the last couple of days I have noticed my Chromecast doesn't seem to get Super HD - tonight it is bouncing between 1750 - 3000 kbps (which looks OK but not 1080P Super HD) - and guess what it is connecting to - Netflix Streaming Service as a CDN.

I just tried my Apple TV and it is still getting 5800 kbps (7.40PM PST) and connecting to Limelight.

I am on Comcast 16 Mbps

I'm still getting the highest bitrate I'm capable of getting at my lower dsl internet speeds - 4300 kbps on the example short test.
post #351 of 558
Just tried again on my Chromecast close to midnight here and it pretty quickly ramped to 5800 kpbs.

The CDN this time was Akamai. So maybe the Chromecast issue was a time of day thing or maybe the CDN?

Earlier this evening we had no problem getting Super HD in prime time on 'Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries' Episode 5 on my Apple TV - got to say this show looks really good in Super HD. Example Short on the Apple TV was also starting at and holding 5800 kpbs even during prime time.

Anyone else seeing that 'Example Short 23.976' disappears from their list and has to be continually added back?

As always - Comcast 16 Mbps connection.
Edited by undecided - 1/4/14 at 12:15am
post #352 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Just tried again on my Chromecast close to midnight here and it pretty quickly ramped to 5800 kpbs.

The CDN this time was Akamai. So maybe the Chromecast issue was a time of day thing or maybe the CDN?

Earlier this evening we had no problem getting Super HD in prime time on 'Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries' Episode 5 on my Apple TV - got to say this show looks really good in Super HD. Example Short on the Apple TV was also starting at and holding 5800 kpbs even during prime time.

Anyone else seeing that 'Example Short 23.976' disappears from their list and has to be continually added back?

As always - Comcast 16 Mbps connection.
Haven't used my Chromecast that often for Netflix but saw your post and tried it last night around midnight. It took several tries, rewinds and such to finally get to 4300, most all of the other attempts were in the 1050/1750 neighborhood. Never saw a 5800 stream. Using the "short" to test for this.
post #353 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

How is everyone's Netflix streaming looking on their Chromecast?

In November/December it was my Netflix streamer of choice while Apple TV's were having Netflix streaming problems. My Chromecast pretty consistently got 5800 kbps Super HD (tested on Example Short and looking at my router 10-minute average)

I switched back to using the Apple TV in mid-December when the issue was apparently fixed when Netflix (presumably) 'fixed' the issue by switching the Apple TV Netflix App to use Limelight as a CDN instead of Netflix Streaming Service.

For the last couple of days I have noticed my Chromecast doesn't seem to get Super HD - tonight it is bouncing between 1750 - 3000 kbps (which looks OK but not 1080P Super HD) - and guess what it is connecting to - Netflix Streaming Service as a CDN.

I just tried my Apple TV and it is still getting 5800 kbps (7.40PM PST) and connecting to Limelight.

I am on Comcast 16 Mbps
Drop over the the Video Hardware and Streaming Services section where we discuss this ad nausea. Right now you have a holiday break for students. And what do teenagers do? Many will be watching Netflix causing a lot more demand. I see this every time time there is a school break. Things will get better Monday.

Also a 21:9 stream doesn't need 5800 kbps to be SuperHD so they can stream that to you at the next lower bitrate in clarity. I have better luck that way. If you are having a problem try picking a title that teenagers aren't likely to watch. I couldn't get "All the Boys Love Mandy Lane" which was listed as the "most popular" title on Thursday night at a stable resolution. I switched to "End of Watch" and had no problem at all. Last night I was able to watch the rest of Many Lane with not much of any problem after 10 PM. It is also a 21:9 stream.
post #354 of 558
21:9 ?
post #355 of 558
2.35:1 vs 1.78:1

21x9 vs 16x9

I guess the point is that you don't need to compress the black bars much.
post #356 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

Youtube (is not a good DD+ test), it outputs stereo (2ch PCM @ 44.1khz), so, you probably had the receiver set to simulated surround sound surround sound (e.g., “Dolby Pro-Logic II” / “Neo:6 Cinema”).
If you still wanna test DD+ with your Gear, try it with something like “HD DVD” (“Transformers” disc DD+ soundtracks) or a streaming player (w/ Netflix/Vudu 5.1DD+).

Yes, Oppo 103 &105 have hdmi-in & support DD+ (passthrough / transcode to MCP)


.

You are correct. I took a look at the status lights on my receiver while playing the Youtube clip, and they showed a 2ch digital source playing in DPLII mode. When I play a Netflix movie and switch it to 2ch, I get the same status lights. Netflix does not sense the 2ch limitation, however -- even when my HDMI switch is set to 2ch audio output -- and so it always defaults to 5.1 DD+ (i.e., no sound) until I pause the movie and switch it over to 2ch. I don't know whether this is a Netflix problem or whether my HDMI switch is not transmitting the 2ch limitation back to Netflix as part of the handshake (or whether the switch even does a handshake). This problem is not limited to Chromecast. I read a lot of complaints in the Roku forums about the same issue: older receivers getting no sound when playing Netflix 5.1 through the streaming device.

I did a few more experiments. When I played the Youtube DD+ speaker test and set my HDMI switch to 5.1 audio output, I got no sound, just like with Netflix. I don't have another streaming player or any DVD/Bluray disks with a DD+ soundtrack, so I can't determine whether the handshake issue is any different using other sources. I suppose I could try my computer, which has an HDMI output port, with my Turtle Beach USB audio dongle, to send the audio through an SP/DIF connection to my receiver. But that would be a lot of work, and in any event, I suspect my computer just passed the audio through rather than decoding it.

The last experiment I tried was using the Netflix app in my Oppo BDP-93. When I ran that through my HDMI switch, I got 2ch sound when the switch was set to 2ch, and no sound when the switch was set to 5.1. The 2ch audio is selected automatically, however, so I don't have to switch it manually. I then bypassed the switch, and sent the audio directly from the player to my receiver over the digital optical connection. The manual for the BDP-93 expressly states that it will convert DD+ to DD when outputting over optical or coax (so long as those ports are set to "bitstream"). Interestingly, I could only get 2ch audio playing Netflix through the Oppo. I have written to Oppo customer support to find out whether this is a limitation of their Netflix app, or whether something is not set up correctly in my system. I also asked whether the BDP-103 would have the same problem.

For what it's worth, I get a much better picture playing Netflix over the Chromecast than through my Oppo player. I don't know whether this might be related to the holiday traffic discussed in the last few posts, but it was definitely noticeable going back and forth between the Oppo and the Chromecast using the same content. But if this is generally the case, then before upgrading my player I would definitely want to know whether it would convert Netflix DD+ to DD before sending it to my receiver. I really don't want to upgrade my receiver if I can get the same results using a BDP-103.
post #357 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

2.35:1 vs 1.78:1

21x9 vs 16x9

I guess the point is that you don't need to compress the black bars much.

I actually find there is no difference in streaming rate between various screen aspect ratios.

2.35:1, 1.78:1 or whatever all seem to be 5800 kbps if Super HD if you look at the 10 minute router average.

I know they could theoretically could use less bandwidth to send the same picture quality for 2.35:1 (as you say no need to compress black bars) - but they don't seem to it that way.
post #358 of 558
Grampa,
I have the Oppo 93. The Netflx app plays only stereo 2ch. The 103 can play 5.1 as well as my Xbox.
post #359 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Grampa,
I have the Oppo 93. The Netflx app plays only stereo 2ch. The 103 can play 5.1 as well as my Xbox.

Yes, I just got an answer from Oppo, and they told me the Netflix interface in the player is restricted to stereo audio and 720p video, and that this is something they won't be able to update in the future. The newer players support multi-channel audio and 1080p video. This may explain why the video looked so much worse on my Oppo than over Chromecast. If I'm gonna watch a lot of Netflix streaming, I guess it's time to upgrade my bluray player, whether or not I use the Chromecast.
post #360 of 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

I actually find there is no difference in streaming rate between various screen aspect ratios.

2.35:1, 1.78:1 or whatever all seem to be 5800 kbps if Super HD if you look at the 10 minute router average.

I know they could theoretically could use less bandwidth to send the same picture quality for 2.35:1 (as you say no need to compress black bars) - but they don't seem to it that way.
Does that actually provide the bitrate of the video though? And no you just center the image on the screen with "scope" presentations. Note there have been some selections truly in 1:85:1 which will have slight black bars ad the bottom and top but those bars are encoded because they are part of the top and bottom 16 lines (since video is often encoded in 16x16 blocks). There have been some reports that 21:9 features are streamed at 75% of the bitrate of a 16:9 one. It makes total sense to do so.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Google Chromecast owners thread