or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Home Depo 1/4 thickness twin wall sonotube build with 15 inch sub and concete.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home Depo 1/4 thickness twin wall sonotube build with 15 inch sub and concete.

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Went to Home Depo and all they had (here in Mexico....not duckpond U.S.) at the local Mexican Home Depo were 1/4 or 6 milimmiter mm wall sonotubes that are way too thin.
So what to do??

I purchased a three metter sonotube that was 45 centimeteres in diameter and cut it to two meteres and twenty centimerteres.
Then I purchased a 50 cm diameter sonotube that was also 6mm thickness and also cut it to 2 meteres twenty centimeteres.

My next step is to purchase MDF 21mm or 3/4 inches and with the router create two circles with one being 45 cm and a second circle being 50 cm.
Then I will place the 45 cm sonotube on the 45 cm cutout on the mdf and glue in place and then place the 50 cm sonotube on the 50 cm cutout and glue in place.

But I hear you say that the sonotubes are just way too thin and will flex too much......yep.
Solution:
Fill the gap with concrete.

What gap?
50 cm minus 45 cm equals 5cm divided by two to get a 2.5 cm gap in the entire cimcumference.
That gap is either going to be filled with concete or perhaps the folks that know more than I do here on AVS can provide a better alternative??

Oh and pictures tomorrow of at least a one pipe 45 cm and one pipe 50 cm with hopefully the mdf gaps routed by then and ready for pictures.

Thanks for reading.
post #2 of 8
Might wanna use a grout mix or something that doesn't have gravel in it. Or it might be hard to fill the narrow space. Will probably cost more though, so tough call.
post #3 of 8
Maybe something like this:

https://www.fxsupply.com/poly/poly.html

Pourable expanding foam should be easy to get into the opening and provide a rigid barrier that would be considerably less weight than concrete, cement or grout.

I can't say I've used this personally, but it's what came to mind when I read your post. I think I've seen similar stuff used on Mythbuster's on Discovery channel for whatever that is worth.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Might wanna use a grout mix or something that doesn't have gravel in it. Or it might be hard to fill the narrow space. Will probably cost more though, so tough call.

Couldn't you just use Sand? If you fill it top to bottom, it doesn't need to be a solid object does it?

The expanding foam is probably a bad idea because it would be very difficult to hold the smaller pipe in exactly the right spot. I fear it would move.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post

Couldn't you just use Sand? If you fill it top to bottom, it doesn't need to be a solid object does it?

The expanding foam is probably a bad idea because it would be very difficult to hold the smaller pipe in exactly the right spot. I fear it would move.


The sand idea sounds good but I am very worried about wall flex since the sand is movable.?
post #6 of 8
You could use small wooden shims to center the inner tube within the outer one. I agree that expanding foam would be ideal.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Might wanna use a grout mix or something that doesn't have gravel in it. Or it might be hard to fill the narrow space. Will probably cost more though, so tough call.

Couldn't you just use Sand? If you fill it top to bottom, it doesn't need to be a solid object does it?

The expanding foam is probably a bad idea because it would be very difficult to hold the smaller pipe in exactly the right spot. I fear it would move.

Shim it into the right place. Figure out the distance between the 2 tubes and cut appropriate little pieces of wood.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post

Couldn't you just use Sand? If you fill it top to bottom, it doesn't need to be a solid object does it?

The expanding foam is probably a bad idea because it would be very difficult to hold the smaller pipe in exactly the right spot. I fear it would move.


The sand idea sounds good but I am very worried about wall flex since the sand is movable.?

The sand adds a lot of mass. It also absorbs vibration.

I have a friend who built some sonotube-based 3-ways with Dynaudio drivers. He used 2 sonotubes with sand in between. That was over 20 years ago. Hasn't had any problems yet!.

Put the thing on wheels because once you put the sand in, it will be very heavy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Home Depo 1/4 thickness twin wall sonotube build with 15 inch sub and concete.