or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › New l&r front speakers to change energy take classic to 7.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New l&r front speakers to change energy take classic to 7.1

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hey All,
I currently have a Denon 2313ci receiver with the Energy take classic 5.1 system, I'm looking to buy 2 new front speakers to convert to a 7.1 setup and am just looking for some advise on which speakers to get. I have found 2 extra take satellites for 138$ for the pair which of course would be a perfect pairing but while the take classic is an excellent entry level speaker config I do plan on eventually upgrading as the years go on so I figure if I'm going to buy 2 new speakers maybe I should get something a bit better as I do like to listen to music and the takes aren't the best for that.

My budget is going to be no more then 250$
I don't want to have to replace my center speaker yet
I'm looking into the Energy cb-5's or cb-10's (found the cb-10's for 300$ which is just outside of my budget but if really worth it can spend the extra 50$)

My question is whether or not the cb-5/10's will compliment the take 5.1 system or will they drown out the center and make the overall 7.1 setup not as good as good as the 5.1

I'm open to other suggestions if within my budget

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #2 of 9
For $250, you could get a pair of Wave Crest Audio HLV-1 or Cambridge Audio S30s. See this review. Then add the matching center later. Don't worry about 7.1. Shoot for better 5.1 biggrin.gif
post #3 of 9
Shoot for 7.x, you'll be happier. I would strongly consider the Pioneer FS52's. I have a pair for my rear surrounds in a 9.3 setup, and I cannot imagine anything touching them for double the price. You should be able to get a pair for around $200, and you may decide upgrading beyond that is unnecessary. I'd imagine they'd compliment the take classic's nicely.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

Shoot for 7.x, you'll be happier.

Have you listened to the Take Classics? While excellent small satellite speakers for someone that has to have the tiny size, as soon as he upgrades the front left and right, he'll discover how much of a difference larger bookshelves can make over tiny speakers like the Takes that have to be crossed over at 120/150 hz and he will likely want to upgrade the center and rears. And next would be a sub upgrade. A good 5.1 setup will typically trump a tiny satellite 7.1 system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

I would strongly consider the Pioneer FS52's.

Agreed. The Pioneers could be an excellent choice if you have room for towers in the front.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies, after more reading and everything I know about home theatres it definitely seems like if I get better fronts I'm going to need to get a better center. I don't want to have to get towers cause of a lack of space but also aesthetically I find them cumbersome, so looking to get bookshelves but thinking at this point it might be worth me spending my budget on a better center and then buying new fronts to match the center later on.

So what I'm thinking now is that I should keep the take classic setup and replace the center with a JBL LC2 center, I have a hook up that can get it new for me at 250-300$, then in a few months I can eventually invest in the matching JBL L820 for my fronts and can use the remaining 4 take classic satellites to complete the 7.1 setup I eventually want to get to. The plan would be to replace all the take classic speakers at some point but once my fronts and center have been replaced I don't mind waiting a year or 2 to replace the rest.

Any thoughts on this plan? Better to do the center first?

Likes or dislike of the lc2 or l820?

Thanks
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radskull View Post

Thanks for the replies, after more reading and everything I know about home theatres it definitely seems like if I get better fronts I'm going to need to get a better center. I don't want to have to get towers cause of a lack of space but also aesthetically I find them cumbersome, so looking to get bookshelves but thinking at this point it might be worth me spending my budget on a better center and then buying new fronts to match the center later on.

So what I'm thinking now is that I should keep the take classic setup and replace the center with a JBL LC2 center, I have a hook up that can get it new for me at 250-300$, then in a few months I can eventually invest in the matching JBL L820 for my fronts and can use the remaining 4 take classic satellites to complete the 7.1 setup I eventually want to get to. The plan would be to replace all the take classic speakers at some point but once my fronts and center have been replaced I don't mind waiting a year or 2 to replace the rest.

Any thoughts on this plan? Better to do the center first?

Likes or dislike of the lc2 or l820?

Thanks

You do want the front three to match.

Just buying a new center alone is going to present problems.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

You do want the front three to match.

Just buying a new center alone is going to present problems.

Right I figure that would be the case but I can't afford the 700$ price tag for the lc2 and the l820's right now so figured I have to start some where and regardless of if I get the center first or the fronts first I'm going to have issues, so the only other option that leaves me with is to get nothing until I can afford to get all 3 at a time.

My biggest problem is patience lol I want it all right now even if just to look at.
post #8 of 9
The L820s are on wall speakers. Is that what you are looking for? If not, there are other speakers that would be a significant improvement over the Energy Takes.

Start with the front left and right. Running a phantom center with new front left and rights will sound better than using the Take center, and the Take left and rights definitely won't sound great with a new center alone.

You should plan out a budget that includes a new sub, too. The sub that comes with the Energy Takes is very wimpy--more of a mid bass module to fill in the mid bass that the Takes lack. There are $200 subs that would be a significant improvement.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The L820s are on wall speakers. Is that what you are looking for? If not, there are other speakers that would be a significant improvement over the Energy Takes.

Start with the front left and right. Running a phantom center with new front left and rights will sound better than using the Take center, and the Take left and rights definitely won't sound great with a new center alone.

You should plan out a budget that includes a new sub, too. The sub that comes with the Energy Takes is very wimpy--more of a mid bass module to fill in the mid bass that the Takes lack. There are $200 subs that would be a significant improvement.

+1

This sounds like a good strategy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › New l&r front speakers to change energy take classic to 7.1