or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 36

post #1051 of 2566
Just to add to the soft corner issue, I went to max zoom for 120" on the wall. Focus is better in the upper left and bottom right.

Now I am deciding whether or not to RMA for lens fix. It's not what I call perfect still, but now I can read in either issued corners.
post #1052 of 2566
Kind of a projector newbie here, but quick question. I read that this projector has no vertical lense shift. So if I have 10 ft ceilings, and use a ceiling mount that comes down 2 ft, will I not be able to project to a screen in the middle of the wall?
post #1053 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenicus View Post

Kind of a projector newbie here, but quick question. I read that this projector has no vertical lense shift. So if I have 10 ft ceilings, and use a ceiling mount that comes down 2 ft, will I not be able to project to a screen in the middle of the wall?

It does have vertical keystone.

Here is the Projector calculator. http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm

It depends on how far away from the screen the PJ is as to how high above the top edge of the screen the Projector must be. Plug in your numbers and see.
post #1054 of 2566
The projector central calculator isn't working for me, can someone tell what screen size you can get from 13 feet away with max zoom?
post #1055 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCreepinaVan View Post

The projector central calculator isn't working for me, can someone tell what screen size you can get from 13 feet away with max zoom?

That's the same as mine. A 100" screen is what I use and the zoom is almost completely zoomed in. Zoomed out I could use a 120" screen.

I think the projector has to be 8" above (higher than) the top screen edge. 9" if the 120" screen is used.
post #1056 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeks View Post

Okay I've done a fair bit of reading but can't quite figure out the difference between the HD131X and HD131Xe?  I think the former has higher contrast and the latter better brightness, but can't quite figure out which is better than the other... the HD131Xe is newer so feels like it should be the natural choice, but the HD131X is more expensive and also gets good reviews... any help?
the 131x is just the older series machine with the higher wattage bulb and higher energy usage and possibly a different color wheel.
It is a black version of the HD25 as the hd131xe is the black version of the HD25e....
I'm not sure that are even still making them, the units being sold might be old stock.
post #1057 of 2566
Thanks for that - has there been any indication as to the % of people suffering the soft corner defect and whether newer products are free of it? I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on one if these today, but am considering bumping up a more expensive model if it will avoid problems down the line...
post #1058 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCreepinaVan View Post

The projector central calculator isn't working for me, can someone tell what screen size you can get from 13 feet away with max zoom?
Hey SomeCreepinaVan if you have anymore questions about mounting the HD131XE just ask. Good luck.
post #1059 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post


If you plan on firing it up for 30 minutes here and there you are going to have very short bulb life...just keep that in mind the bulb loses 2 hours of life every time you turn it on and even more when you turn it on and its still warm from being recently turned off.. and the speaker is not really for home theater use.... at least your the only one I know of that plans on using it in a permanent setup.... its more for portability....I would suggest an av receiver as its what people use in the type of home theater that would utilize one of these projectors anyway.... otherwise its like putting four donut spare tires on a corvette and complaining about handling...tongue.gif
Also in regards to the 1080p/1080i and the hourglass thats an hdmi handshake thing some devices do it a bit quicker but newer devices all have to play by the same hdmi regulations and rules that really is a fault of the receiver that it wont scale correctly tput the same signal.... I had an old direct tv box like that and it drove me nuts.


This is still a TV for me, not a projector that gets fired up only for movies once a week, so I expect to be able to use it.  But that means that it will be turned on usually twice a day, once for about 30 minutes and once for about 2-3 hours.  I don't think that is unreasonable for usage.  I don't expect this to last 10+ years like my mits rptv did (and is still working perfectly).

I have a 5.1 setup but it is one more thing to fire up and adjust for use, and frankly if I am just watching Gold Rush or some other 30 minute show that doesn't need 5.1, what is the point in firing up the theater?  The speaker built in works perfectly for that.  Again, this is a TV for me, not a once a week theater projector.  The room is insulated and not huge (14x14) with no windows, so with 3 people, an AV receiver, the projector, the cable box, and a dvd player, it heats up FAST.  I have a ventilation system installed but it adds to the background noise, and while it is OK with a movie going, when I just want to watch a tv show, I don't need all that.

As for the handshake, I understand that all devices will have that, but even my 10 year old mits took less than 2 seconds, this thing takes like 4 or 5 seconds, and since my new cable box will upscale everything that isn't 1080i to 1080p (and WON'T upscale 1080i to 1080p), I have that handshake some 8-10 times in one channel surf.  It is annoying.  But it is the only cable box with the larger drive and an SSD drive (so it is quiet).  If I insisted on an older unit I would lose half the dvr capacity and the quietness.. I figure I can always buy some kind of upscaler that will process the transition faster.  Perhaps I will move from my old reliable Marantz receiver to a newer model with hdmi switching and built in upscaling.. I set my parents up with a Denon a few years back and it switches from 480 to 1080 very rapidly. 

I have spent time and money in the past being an "enthusiast" in all sorts of different hobbies.  In every case I spend more money for minimal gain and maximum inconvenience.  I am past all that.  I wanted something cool in my dedicated TV room that came with the minimal hassle and a reasonable value for the dollar.  I don't need it to be reference perfect and I don't need to stretch the usability to the maximum to get every last second of use out of the bulb.  If I have to replace it in a couple years, then I have to replace it.  No big deal.

post #1060 of 2566
Here is my setup in living room (please don't laugh, I just want a big screen smile.gif).
My TV is 46 inches. Ceiling is 7ft at wall and 9ft in center. My Elite ELECTRIC100H is about 14' off the wall and HD131xe is about 17' off center.
PJ is a bit down a few degrees. So far it is perfect.



post #1061 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post


This is still a TV for me, not a projector that gets fired up only for movies once a week, so I expect to be able to use it.  But that means that it will be turned on usually twice a day, once for about 30 minutes and once for about 2-3 hours.  I don't think that is unreasonable for usage.  I don't expect this to last 10+ years like my mits rptv did (and is still working perfectly).
I have a 5.1 setup but it is one more thing to fire up and adjust for use, and frankly if I am just watching Gold Rush or some other 30 minute show that doesn't need 5.1, what is the point in firing up the theater?  The speaker built in works perfectly for that.  Again, this is a TV for me, not a once a week theater projector.  The room is insulated and not huge (14x14) with no windows, so with 3 people, an AV receiver, the projector, the cable box, and a dvd player, it heats up FAST.  I have a ventilation system installed but it adds to the background noise, and while it is OK with a movie going, when I just want to watch a tv show, I don't need all that.
As for the handshake, I understand that all devices will have that, but even my 10 year old mits took less than 2 seconds, this thing takes like 4 or 5 seconds, and since my new cable box will upscale everything that isn't 1080i to 1080p (and WON'T upscale 1080i to 1080p), I have that handshake some 8-10 times in one channel surf.  It is annoying.  But it is the only cable box with the larger drive and an SSD drive (so it is quiet).  If I insisted on an older unit I would lose half the dvr capacity and the quietness.. I figure I can always buy some kind of upscaler that will process the transition faster.  Perhaps I will move from my old reliable Marantz receiver to a newer model with hdmi switching and built in upscaling.. I set my parents up with a Denon a few years back and it switches from 480 to 1080 very rapidly. 
I have spent time and money in the past being an "enthusiast" in all sorts of different hobbies.  In every case I spend more money for minimal gain and maximum inconvenience.  I am past all that.  I wanted something cool in my dedicated TV room that came with the minimal hassle and a reasonable value for the dollar.  I don't need it to be reference perfect and I don't need to stretch the usability to the maximum to get every last second of use out of the bulb.  If I have to replace it in a couple years, then I have to replace it.  No big deal.
I completely understand. I used my older projectors as my only TV but about a year ago I picked up a free plasma to hang on the wall for short viewing and also for a motorized screen that drops down In front of it....
I'm actually going to look at 65" MIT's dlp rptv that needs a new DMD chip which I have later today to repair for the inlaws...
I'm just saying the projector is not a TV so don't expect to use it as one without drawbacks one thing you will find is your bulb use hour counter is going to climb very fast
post #1062 of 2566
Just spent my morning reading this entire thread and I think I have decided to buy the HD131Xe as my first PJ. I just want to run the numbers past some of you more experienced users first.

My room currently has off-white semigloss paint (I realize semigloss is terrible but my GF likes it better than flat for what ever reason). Should I go through the process of having this repainted flat or will it be fine since I am buying a screen?

My room is 16' deep and 8' tall. I am going to be doing two rows of seating one at the back of the wall so about 16' viewing distance, and the other will be closer to 8'-9' viewing distance. The majority of the time say 95% it will just my GF and I so I am really more concerned with the back row. Do you guys think I should go for the 100" or the 120" screen? I figure I will try both sizes out before buying a screen and see if 120" is okay from 8'-9'.

Currently I have a ceiling fan and I would have to drop my PJ about 16" from the ceiling in order for it not to be in the way. Will this cause any serious issues? Worst case I can remove the fan, but if possible I would like to keep it.

Thanks for all the info guys!
post #1063 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destx View Post

Just spent my morning reading this entire thread and I think I have decided to buy the HD131Xe as my first PJ. I just want to run the numbers past some of you more experienced users first.

My room currently has off-white semigloss paint (I realize semigloss is terrible but my GF likes it better than flat for what ever reason). Should I go through the process of having this repainted flat or will it be fine since I am buying a screen?

My room is 16' deep and 8' tall. I am going to be doing two rows of seating one at the back of the wall so about 16' viewing distance, and the other will be closer to 8'-9' viewing distance. The majority of the time say 95% it will just my GF and I so I am really more concerned with the back row. Do you guys think I should go for the 100" or the 120" screen? I figure I will try both sizes out before buying a screen and see if 120" is okay from 8'-9'.

Currently I have a ceiling fan and I would have to drop my PJ about 16" from the ceiling in order for it not to be in the way. Will this cause any serious issues? Worst case I can remove the fan, but if possible I would like to keep it.

Thanks for all the info guys!
I have found that I prefer differing levels of gray for the ceiling and walls for a dedicated HT. My first HT has Gold and Magenta and it looked nice but I think no color is best now. Perhaps black is theoretically best but it is not very interesting visually. But whatever works best for each is best.
post #1064 of 2566
Any body using an HDMI Matrix switcher with their projector? If so, what model? and, What are your likes and dislikes as it relates to your projector?
Edited by crash2009 - 11/11/13 at 1:16pm
post #1065 of 2566
I use this one with my TV and projector. It's a matrix switcher and it has a built in signal booster. No dislikes at all it, but the signal booster really help with my 30 ft run to my projector. Before this switcher I had lots of dropouts. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-matrix-switch.html#axzz2kNOGV0vf
post #1066 of 2566
I use this one bought from Fry's. It also has analog audio output.





post #1067 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

I use this one with my TV and projector. It's a matrix switcher and it has a built in signal booster. No dislikes at all it, but the signal booster really help with my 30 ft run to my projector. Before this switcher I had lots of dropouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngvuanh View Post

I use this one bought from Fry's. It also has analog audio output.

Thanks, Do either of you run a HTPC, cablecard tuner, DRM protected WTV's through the matrix? If so how well does that work?
post #1068 of 2566
Can anyone comment on how close to the ceiling you can get the image with this projector? I only have a 8 foot ceiling so getting it as high as possible is crucial.
post #1069 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destx View Post

Can anyone comment on how close to the ceiling you can get the image with this projector? I only have a 8 foot ceiling so getting it as high as possible is crucial.

At 13'1" throw distance and max zoom, I get a 120" picture 16" from the ceiling. This is being ceiling mounted.

Use this for figuring measurements HERE.
post #1070 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgsx View Post

At 13'1" throw distance and max zoom, I get a 120" picture 16" from the ceiling. This is being ceiling mounted.

Use this for figuring measurements HERE.

Okay thanks, it looks like if I go 120" it would only leave me 21" from the bottom of the image to the ground. I am not sure if that is enough or if I should opt for a 100" or 110" screen.
post #1071 of 2566
Just wanna say that I am very happy with this projector. Bought this 2 weeks ago from amazon and my unit doesn't have the soft focus issue. Mounted almost directly above my head, I don't hear any fan noise. Running it on eco mode and the thing is still a real light cannon. Out of box pq is great but still needs calibration to get that plasma like pop. Also, I do see very slight rainbows usually on text, so it doesn't really bother me. I have yet to try 3d, will post my impressions when my estar rf glasses arrive.
post #1072 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdavid View Post

Just wanna say that I am very happy with this projector. Bought this 2 weeks ago from amazon and my unit doesn't have the soft focus issue. Mounted almost directly above my head, I don't hear any fan noise. Running it on eco mode and the thing is still a real light cannon. Out of box pq is great but still needs calibration to get that plasma like pop. Also, I do see very slight rainbows usually on text, so it doesn't really bother me. I have yet to try 3d, will post my impressions when my estar rf glasses arrive.

That's great to hear !!! :-)... Instead of RMAing my unit with soft lenses I might order a new one from Costco.ca and return this one. If the new one exibits the same issues I will RMA it then...

BTW... With help from my friends at HTS and the N7 grey tint sample they sent me, I painted my DIY drywalled 110" screen with it. I might repaint it again, due to my rolling mistakes I made. Overall the picture is very good with decent blacks. (pictures to follow).

I'm still undecided when it comes to 0-255 vs.16-235 RGB range... 16-235 it looks I get better color pop and blacks, but I feel like I'm losing a tad of shadow detail.
I'm using HTPC (win7 with nvidia GPU) and primarly XBMC (Gotham alpha 9 - built). What do you guys use with your HTPC setups?
post #1073 of 2566

I am about to replace my Panny 900 (2560 hours on bulb) and the 131 looks like a good choice.

 

I have a 104" screen, throw of 13', with a shelf mount at about the top of the screen.

 

I know the screen/throw combo is fine but I do not know if the 131X will project properly when it is upright instead of inverted for a ceiling mount.

 

Does any know?

 

Thanks

 

Fred

post #1074 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhsv View Post

I am about to replace my Panny 900 (2560 hours on bulb) and the 131 looks like a good choice.

I have a 104" screen, throw of 13', with a shelf mount at about the top of the screen.

I know the screen/throw combo is fine but I do not know if the 131X will project properly when it is upright instead of inverted for a ceiling mount.

Does any know?

Thanks

Fred
I don't think so. Your distance and screen size are right but the PJ needs to be upside-down because of the direction the light emerges from it (the Offset).

Here is the link for the calculator. http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm
Edited by Cyrano - 11/12/13 at 8:30am
post #1075 of 2566
Can someone comment on this projectors 3D vs the Benq W7000 or W1070
post #1076 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

I use this one with my TV and projector. It's a matrix switcher and it has a built in signal booster. No dislikes at all it, but the signal booster really help with my 30 ft run to my projector. Before this switcher I had lots of dropouts. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-matrix-switch.html#axzz2kNOGV0vf
I have the cheapest v1.3 hdmi splitter I could find from ebay splitting the output from my sony av reciever between my plasma and my hd131xe and it works very well even for the 3d which actually requires hdmi v 1.4 standards so....

I have my projector mounted about 7-8 down from my ceiling about 5 ft behind a ceiling fan that comes down about a foot total from the ceiling and because of the angle the projector shoots the image down at (offset) the image clears the fan just fine... and the top of the image at the screen is about 15-16" total at about 13' from the projector...
Honestly people the calculator at projector central doesnt require a PHD or anything to use and it gives you all these dimensions exact instead of all this guessing... not really sure how "its not working" for some....
post #1077 of 2566
Received SainSonic Rainbow Series 144Hz DLP-Link today and tested with Monster University.
3D effect is perfect IMO, no layers effect. Brightness is a cost but enjoyable.
I posted 2 pictures of with and without glasses.



post #1078 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

I have the cheapest v1.3 hdmi splitter I could find from ebay splitting the output from my sony av reciever between my plasma and my hd131xe and it works very well even for the 3d which actually requires hdmi v 1.4 standards so....

I have my projector mounted about 7-8 down from my ceiling about 5 ft behind a ceiling fan that comes down about a foot total from the ceiling and because of the angle the projector shoots the image down at (offset) the image clears the fan just fine... and the top of the image at the screen is about 15-16" total at about 13' from the projector...
Honestly people the calculator at projector central doesnt require a PHD or anything to use and it gives you all these dimensions exact instead of all this guessing... not really sure how "its not working" for some....
Yeah the ProjectorCentral.com calc works great, I've been using it for my last three projectors and it's always dead on. Helps a lot with the HD131xe which would fit my room perfect and I wouldn't even have to move my current screen at all. I'm also considering the w1070 but the ProjectorCentral.com calc doesn't account for the small offset it can provide with it's lens shift. It's pretty easy to calculate the lens shift offset for W1070. Just divide your screen height by two, then multiply that by 0.3 to get the w0170 max lens shift.
post #1079 of 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Just divide your screen height by two, then multiply that by 0.3 to get the w0170 max lens shift.
Finally, someone who's not afraid of a little math. smile.gif
post #1080 of 2566
Oh man, now we're finally getting somewhere smile.gif


So i spent the last few days painting my living room walls and ceiling, next to helping my brother out in his new house. I went with a extra matte dark purple colour and it changed my living room drastically, but in a very good way. Yes it is quite dark here both during daytime and nighttime, but still very liveable. It has also totally removed the weird issue i had with Skyrim and other games and movies. I think i posted the Skyrim pictures here?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2mh5xts.jpg

A picture of how it looks now. You really can't get the perfect impression with photos,but what are you gonna do, right?

Here a picture of the 'screen' , only temporarily and as you can see it needs to project more on the lower side of the wall, cause i am missing a part on the top right. This means i will definitely have to mount it to the ceiling, otherwise it will be all wrong according to the recommendations.

http://i44.tinypic.com/205zd78.jpg

Here's a photo of Skyrim now (during evening time here, during daytime it's still a bit too bright. Due to my open kitchen)

http://i40.tinypic.com/20r4q48.jpg

And one of Batman, sorry for bad quality

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zp85s5.jpg

I played some Battlefield 3 this evening, screen is around 100 to 110 and i sit 5 meters away from it and it looked fantastic. Gaming is now such a different and amazing experience. Wow. I am not gonna lie though, the black levels are not what i'd wish, but they are far from bad. There's little i can change in my living room to improve that. During daytime it is still on the bright side, but my open kitchen is doing that. So i am planning on buying a dark coloured curtain for that. I am just incredibly impressed with the picture quality. Such a huge huuuuuge screen, and yet it looks damn fine. Now that i've all experienced this...there's no going back from the dark side. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King?