or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 32

post #931 of 2571
If it's the feature that crops the screen size, then I played with it.

Anything in particular?
post #932 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

It's been a long long time since i used a projector, but what is this focus issue exactly? If i have that stuff too, i'd rather find it out now while it isn't yet attached to the wall and i can easily return it if needed.

Seems that some users are unhappy with the focus uniformity. Whether this is due to 1) a inherent "defect" in the manufacture or assembly of all units (in which case, I got a "golden" unit), 2) a QC/QA lapse that affects only some units or 3) focus uniformity is typical for a <$1000 projector; some people have unrealistic expectations in a "low budget" projector, isn't clear.
With the evidence provided so far, it's #2 and #3.

The only negative review on Amazon that mentions the focus uniformity admits he's running it at maximum zoom (with any projector, for best results avoid the last ~10% of any zoom/image shift extreme).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgsx View Post

From your screen shots, your have a better upper left and bottom right than me.

Is there variation of the quality between lenses?

I would be happy with your corners.

Thanks for the comment, without anything to compare it against it's tough to know.
I'm sure that there are at least minute differences between any two lenses, it's pretty amazing to think about what even a "cheap" lens like these are being asked to do, and how well they do it.
post #933 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelbach View Post

Seems that some users are unhappy with the focus uniformity. Whether this is due to 1) a inherent "defect" in the manufacture or assembly of all units (in which case, I got a "golden" unit), 2) a QC/QA lapse that affects only some units or 3) focus uniformity is typical for a <$1000 projector; some people have unrealistic expectations in a "low budget" projector, isn't clear.
With the evidence provided so far, it's #2 and #3.

Well said... My sold HD65 (720p) with smaller optical lens had tiny uniformity issues too.
post #934 of 2571
Okay - so now I must hook up this PJ to a computer. I'd rather find out what is really happening now while it can go back. Got mine three weeks ago. I expect it to be similar to my HD70 which had no problems that were unacceptable.
Edited by Cyrano - 11/4/13 at 8:40am
post #935 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgsx View Post

If it's the feature that crops the screen size, then I played with it.

Anything in particular?

I just wonder if that would help with the soft focus issue. My projector is scheduled to arrive Thursday so I'm not sure about this focus issue

On my hd20, the bottom left would kind of trail out of square. By using the edge feature it sorted it out. Like I said though, I won't find out until I hook mine up.
post #936 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Okay - so now I must hook up this PJ to a computer. I'd rather find out what is really happening now while it can go back. Got mine three weeks ago. I expect it to be similar to my HD70 which had no problems that were unacceptable.

You don't have to hook it up to a PC. Just change the position of the menu. It allows you to position the menu in each corner and in the middle. Focus issues will be quite obvious.
post #937 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana_av View Post

You don't have to hook it up to a PC. Just change the position of the menu. It allows you to position the menu in each corner and in the middle. Focus issues will be quite obvious.
Cool. Thanks!

Okay. - Now that also helped fine tune the focus. Looks great.
I am shooting a 100 inch image from 13 feet away. I see excellent focus in all 4 corners.
Edited by Cyrano - 11/4/13 at 9:33am
post #938 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgsx View Post

Can you give a run down of how the RMA process went? You initiate by calling or email? Optoma sends a box?

Sure thing ...

1. Go here http://www.optomausa.com/support/rma/
2. Fill out the form entirely
3. Wait for email from Optoma rep with authorization and RMA #
4. Package your projector and ship using the RMA # (you pay shipping)
5. Wait for the projector to the fixed. You can check on the status here http://rma.optomausa.com/
6. Optoma will pay for shipping back to you. FedEx Ground.

Once they received my projector, they send it back out within 3 business days. Not bad.
post #939 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_g99 View Post

Sure thing ...

1. Go here http://www.optomausa.com/support/rma/
2. Fill out the form entirely
3. Wait for email from Optoma rep with authorization and RMA #
4. Package your projector and ship using the RMA # (you pay shipping)
5. Wait for the projector to the fixed. You can check on the status here http://rma.optomausa.com/
6. Optoma will pay for shipping back to you. FedEx Ground.

Once they received my projector, they send it back out within 3 business days. Not bad.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will be sending mine back.

What's the chance of me removing my bulb before RMA and optoma dropping in a new one? biggrin.gif

I will send it back after this upcoming weekend.
post #940 of 2571
After having a human conversation with Optoma (live chat)... The most intersting comment was:

AGENT X: we pulled 100 units from 4 shipments in our own warehouse and only 3 had an issue there are a lot out there without the focus issue. But as I said, the only way I can guarantee that you'll get a working lens, is shipping to Richmond Hill and having the focus lens replaced.

The agent did not say it was widespread nor if Costco will be receving fixed units in their stock... etc...
It sounds like the problem is limited to number of units... What are the chance I got the faulty one ... and many others on this forums... LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Cool. Thanks!

Okay. - Now that also helped fine tune the focus. Looks great.
I am shooting a 100 inch image from 13 feet away. I see excellent focus in all 4 corners.

Awesome news :-). I hope it is not ZOOM-OUT helping you. In my case I'm shooting onto 110" screen from the same distance you are ~13 feet away. Hence I'm using more ZOOM-IN on my lens.

Myself I might wait another 60 days days or so to return the unit to Costco.ca (hopefully their stock gets depleted and they get good units) Order new unit to see if I'm lucky and if not before I get it mount it I will ship it to Richmond Hill under RMA to get lens replaced.
post #941 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 View Post

Awesome news :-). I hope it is not ZOOM-OUT helping you. In my case I'm shooting onto 110" screen from the same distance you are ~13 feet away. Hence I'm using more ZOOM-IN on my lens.

Myself I might wait another 60 days days or so to return the unit to Costco.ca (hopefully their stock gets depleted and they get good units) Order new unit to see if I'm lucky and if not before I get it mount it I will ship it to Richmond Hill under RMA to get lens replaced.
Yes I know. I was thinking of getting a larger screen at some point so I guess I might have to do some more examining to make sure that I don't have the focus problem.
Thanks for your response; it made me reconsider.
post #942 of 2571
I am at 13' casting a 106.5" screen, so zoom calculation is around 1.07.

If this helps anyone.
post #943 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Yes I know. I was thinking of getting a larger screen at some point so I guess I might have to do some more examining to make sure that I don't have the focus problem.
Thanks for your response; it made me reconsider.

From 13' we can only get up to 120" max. I was thinking about tearing apart my 110" frame, but I don't know if 10" is worth the hassle. Like my friend said... "just sit closer to the screen if 110" is too small for you " LOL... maybe I will do it, once I get my hd25e to focus properly :P

I always use this site to give me ratio between different display sizes... Your 100", my 110" and max 120" at 13' throw distance.

http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?04847569fc5a9b1524d8a8e662e31197
post #944 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 View Post

From 13' we can only get up to 120" max. I was thinking about tearing apart my 110" frame, but I don't know if 10" is worth the hassle. Like my friend said... "just sit closer to the screen if 110" is too small for you " LOL... maybe I will do it, once I get my hd25e to focus properly :P

I always use this site to give me ratio between different display sizes... Your 100", my 110" and max 120" at 13' throw distance.

http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?04847569fc5a9b1524d8a8e662e31197
oh yes I go to that site too. I also like to insert the values of 1920 by 1080 to give me a real good idea of the pixel count per square inch. well I'm going to go take a nice solid piece of white cardboard or something and zoom all the way out and see if I've got a good focused image to the edges because a hundred twenty inch screen is what I'd really like.
post #945 of 2571
Ihave had the Optoma HD 70 HD 66 and the HD 65 and none of them had optics as bad as my hd131xe in fact the only other Optoma projector that did have any focus issues was the HD 66and that was nowhere near as bad. I doubt optimal be telling us the whole truth as to how many units are actually affected as it will only hurt their sales of this model but regardless the fact is some units do have a defect in the lens and it's not the usual effwcts from a budget projector
post #946 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelbach View Post

Seems that some users are unhappy with the focus uniformity. Whether this is due to 1) a inherent "defect" in the manufacture or assembly of all units (in which case, I got a "golden" unit), 2) a QC/QA lapse that affects only some units or 3) focus uniformity is typical for a <$1000 projector; some people have unrealistic expectations in a "low budget" projector, isn't clear.
With the evidence provided so far, it's #2 and #3.

The only negative review on Amazon that mentions the focus uniformity admits he's running it at maximum zoom (with any projector, for best results avoid the last ~10% of any zoom/image shift extreme).
Thanks for the comment, without anything to compare it against it's tough to know.
I'm sure that there are at least minute differences between any two lenses, it's pretty amazing to think about what even a "cheap" lens like these are being asked to do, and how well they do it.
okay so what you'r insinuating is because your unit is fine the rest of us are all lying or mistaken that we have an issue and let's be clear here there's what four of us saying we had or have the issue, 2 people that arent sure yet and you does not have the issue?
**
Edit kreations also does not have the issue on his hd25-lv
Edited by augiedoggy - 11/4/13 at 11:26am
post #947 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

Ihave had the Optoma HD 70 HD 66 and the HD 65 and none of them had optics as bad as my hd131xe in fact the only other Optoma projector that did have any focus issues was the HD 66and that was nowhere near as bad. I doubt optimal be telling us the whole truth as to how many units are actually affected as it will only hurt their sales of this model but regardless the fact is some units do have a defect in the lens and it's not the usual effwcts from a budget projector

I am just happy that Optoma realized and recognized the issue and is willing to make right.

You definitely have more to compare than me being a 1st time owner.
post #948 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

Ihave had the Optoma HD 70 HD 66 and the HD 65 and none of them had optics as bad as my hd131xe in fact the only other Optoma projector that did have any focus issues was the HD 66and that was nowhere near as bad. I doubt optimal be telling us the whole truth as to how many units are actually affected as it will only hurt their sales of this model but regardless the fact is some units do have a defect in the lens and it's not the usual effwcts from a budget projector

Yes my Hd65 was not perefect but MUCHO better than my current HD25e. I'm sure the Optoma support agents are telling us what they have been told by upper managent. They have no issues with fixing our faulty issues. Also I find it hard to believe they had only 3 faulty units out of 100 sample units they pulled from last 3 shippments.

Taken from costco.ca recent review:

"I have now bought 4 of these units as well as one pair directly swapped from the manufacturer. In the 6 machines I have currently briefly owned all have suffered from a lens defect that supposedly affects only 1% of the Units sold in Canada. What are the odds?"

I will wait 60 days before ordering another unit from Costco, hopefully Costco will get a good stock by then... :P
post #949 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 View Post

From 13' we can only get up to 120" max. I was thinking about tearing apart my 110" frame, but I don't know if 10" is worth the hassle. Like my friend said... "just sit closer to the screen if 110" is too small for you " LOL... maybe I will do it, once I get my hd25e to focus properly :P

I always use this site to give me ratio between different display sizes... Your 100", my 110" and max 120" at 13' throw distance.

http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?04847569fc5a9b1524d8a8e662e31197

Alright, I did a test and I went all the way out to the hundred twenty inch size and it does focus but there is an issue with the upper left and lower right. However, I am able to find a happy medium and achieve a good focus in both of those corners.
BUT, the margin of adjustment is nil. When I used my Hd70 the image was zoomed all the way out and the focus was not so "tight". I can see why there might be an issue with this pj. If and when I go to the larger size screen I see that the pj might need occasional adjustments. I do have room to move the screen back and gain some control.
post #950 of 2571
thanks for checking. That confirms my suspicions that the amount of zoom used is affecting why it's worse for some than others. I have a hundred inch screen against the dark wood wall so it wasn't as easy for me to zoomand make the image larger.I currently have mine at about the middle of its zoom range
Edited by augiedoggy - 11/4/13 at 11:55am
post #951 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

thanks for checking that confirms my suspicions that the amount of zoom used is affecting why it's worse for some than others.

Glad to. Yes, I think what you state in your quote above is the case in so far as what I have discovered.
I would say that with projector use (heat) the focus problem at full zoom out would be noticeable on my machine when used as a computer monitor, which I foresee doing someday. I am not done examining the problem, and considering resolutions. Darn.
post #952 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

okay so what you'r insinuating is because your unit is fine the rest of us are all lying or mistaken that we have an issue and let's be clear here there's what four of us saying we had or have the issue, 2 people that arent sure yet and you does not have the issue?
**
Edit kreations also does not have the issue on his hd25-lv

No, I don't think anyone's lying. But the fact that my unit is fine, as are others, casts serious doubt on your assertions that "8 out of ten units are bad".
That's what choice #2 was for.
post #953 of 2571

Heres what I settled on as far as distance..15.5ft from lens to screen.

  That 24FL should be good for 3D?

 

 

Sorry about the blurry picture..not sure why the graph looks like this.

post #954 of 2571
Hi,
I don't want to get off topic here, but I had been following this thread and ended up getting the HD25e from Costco here in Canada, as I felt the included emitter and 3D glasses were a great deal.
I am coming from an HD70 which I quite enjoyed, but the lamp was getting close to the end, so I felt it was a good time to upgrade.

However I just received it and did a quick power-on sitting on a table temporarily before I mount it on the ceiling.
Upon powering it on, I see these horizontal and vertical lines, as well as part of the image being 'squished' -- this is apparent when not connected to anything, or when connected to my Oppo, and HTPC
I've included a couple pictures, just want to do sanity check as I don't believe this has anything to do with me, but rather that the unit is defective.

Additionally, to anyone who purchased from Costco, do you coordinate a return through them, or through Optoma directly?

TIA


post #955 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelbach View Post

No, I don't think anyone's lying. But the fact that my unit is fine, as are others, casts serious doubt on your assertions that "8 out of ten units are bad".
That's what choice #2 was for.
I think you might want to go back and reread your posts.... you start off stating pretty strongly that most owners who have the issue don't have it setup right. Then, go on to state you don't believe there is any real issues with with these units and the soft uneven focus is just normal for budget projectors. ( remember the posts in the other thread were you got really cocky about it out of nowhere?) Then your argument changed a bit further to state. You just believe its not 8 out of 10 that I stated.... and yes I assumed when I made that statement and my educated guess may be off a bit or may be not we honestly don't know but there seems to be many more people here who have the issue than don't right? So far we have at least 7 people between this and the hd25e thread that do and two that dont..(and 1 of those two is an hd25-lv). OK so from our test sample we don't have 80% that have the issue but certainly "most" of the owners on this forum have it to some degree or another. .. See, it wasnt that hard to admit I may have made an incorrect assumption. wink.gif
Edited by augiedoggy - 11/4/13 at 3:10pm
post #956 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent cooper View Post

Hi,
I don't want to get off topic here, but I had been following this thread and ended up getting the HD25e from Costco here in Canada, as I felt the included emitter and 3D glasses were a great deal.
I am coming from an HD70 which I quite enjoyed, but the lamp was getting close to the end, so I felt it was a good time to upgrade.

However I just received it and did a quick power-on sitting on a table temporarily before I mount it on the ceiling.
Upon powering it on, I see these horizontal and vertical lines, as well as part of the image being 'squished' -- this is apparent when not connected to anything, or when connected to my Oppo, and HTPC
I've included a couple pictures, just want to do sanity check as I don't believe this has anything to do with me, but rather that the unit is defective.

Additionally, to anyone who purchased from Costco, do you coordinate a return through them, or through Optoma directly?

TIA


It appears you have the "loose connection" that others have complained about... I had it happen on of of my hd65 units and I'm ashamed to say I turned it off and waited for the bulb to cool and tapped on the unit a few times and when I powered it back up the issue was gone and I got lucky as it never returned others have found you can apply pressure to the unit or "squeeze " it and it will go away but may return...

I believe this is one issue "Kreations" did have with his hd25-lv and its mentioned earlier in the thread .... something about salt corrosion from the trip overseas on one of the contacts causing a bad connection I believe.
post #957 of 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

It appears you have the "loose connection" that others have complained about... I had it happen on of of my hd65 units and I'm ashamed to say I turned it off and waited for the bulb to cool and tapped on the unit a few times and when I powered it back up the issue was gone and I got lucky as it never returned others have found you can apply pressure to the unit or "squeeze " it and it will go away but may return...

I believe this is one issue "Kreations" did have with his hd25-lv and its mentioned earlier in the thread .... something about salt corrosion from the trip overseas on one of the contacts causing a bad connection I believe.

Thanks!

I figured it was something like that.
I did 'tap' the projector, played with the connectors, etc. but it didn't help, so RMA it is.

Scott
post #958 of 2571

Guys, I'm new to the forum but spent a couple days in this thread prior to buying mine. Thanks for all the great discussion.

 

I have an old Panasonic AE700 that I watched for about 5 years until moving into a new house and abandoning my HT setup. Kept it in the closet for the last couple years until deciding to build a HT into a bedroom and using "temporarily" until I got a Panasonic plasma. Well, that old 720 LCD had one last trick up it's sleeve - I fell in love with the 100" picture all over again. But I also realized that even back in the day I dreaded watching movies like Lord of the Rings on it because it was just too dim.

 

Skip to today, I am blown away by the quality of this HD131. Great brightness (but no, definitely not TOO bright), color, and contrast. And dirt cheap, to help me survive the last couple years of the 1080p winter before the real 4K stuff comes along.

 

My only caveat with the unit is that you get what you pay for optomechanically. It blows big time to have to literally build your screen alignment instead of just tweaking a joystick in the AE700 (I use a rear shelf and have much work yet to make it permanent). Functionally though, it gets the job done and it's OK for what is basically for me a throwaway projector.

 

Very happy with this unit. I love the blacks especially and I think this picture shows this off a bit (though it looks better in person).

 

post #959 of 2571
Few examples of my corners, incase anyone wants to see. Hopefully these photos do justice to what I actually see.














Edit after posting: Looks like you can definitely see the upper left and bottom right. I am happy with the other 2 corners.
post #960 of 2571
I would send in (RMA) instead of returning. They will usually put the newest firmware on and sometimes that's months before anyone else.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King?