or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Things That Bug You About Blu-ray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things That Bug You About Blu-ray - Page 3

post #61 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Some players use optical other use coax for their digital audio output, and some have both. They are the same. The DTS core is the main codec with out the HD extensions that are added to the lossless audio track. This allows for backward compatibility for older devices that can not process lossless codecs. DTS-HD Master Audio is bit-for bit identical to the studio master.


Ian

I found a cable and hooked it up to the coaxial input. I now can get the core track of the DTS-HD MA audio. It's not exactly what I like, but it's a lot better than DTS-HD Master Audio. Some of the dialogue is still hard to hear, but not like it was before. Thanks for the tip.
post #62 of 91
Thread Starter 
I don't know what's going on, but I can't get any sound through the coaxial input anymore. I have the cable box connected to the coaxial input as well as the blu-ray player, and the cable box is giving sound, but not the blu-ray player.
post #63 of 91
Sounds like either the cable broke or the blu-ray player got switched to HDMI only for sound output. Might check the menus to see if anything got changed. Could also have been reset to factory settings.

If you have a smartphone, you can have a quick and dirty SPL meter from various free apps. It's not a dedicated sound meter, but in the absence of any meter at all, it would work. The reason they want you to use an SPL meter is that you should at least establish a baseline of balanced sound, and then adjust it to compensate for the lessened hearing you're experiencing, rather than just setting it by ear itself. But it's up to you.
post #64 of 91
Thread Starter 
It seems to be that the blu-ray player won't work through coaxial if it's in a splitter. I have a splitter going into my receiver with one end having the cable box and the other end having the blu-ray player. If I unplug the cable box part, the coaxial audio for the blu-ray player will come through. Weird, but if both are plugged in at the same time, the cable box will work through the coaxial connection. Not that big of a deal, really. I can plug the cable box into the standard red/white plugs. It's just that the sound was a bit better through the coaxial plug. Is there some sort of splitter or switch that would work ?
post #65 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

It seems to be that the blu-ray player won't work through coaxial if it's in a splitter. I have a splitter going into my receiver with one end having the cable box and the other end having the blu-ray player. If I unplug the cable box part, the coaxial audio for the blu-ray player will come through. Weird, but if both are plugged in at the same time, the cable box will work through the coaxial connection. Not that big of a deal, really. I can plug the cable box into the standard red/white plugs. It's just that the sound was a bit better through the coaxial plug. Is there some sort of splitter or switch that would work ?

Sounds like a handshake issue with the HDMI. What blu-ray player is this?
post #66 of 91
Thread Starter 
It's a magnavox nb500mg9. I set HDMI audio to Mute, which according to what I've read, will send the audio through the coaxial plug. On my receiver, I set the audio selector to coaxial. This works when the blu-ray player is the only one plugged in to the coaxial port. But it just weird that it doesn't work when the cable box is also plugged in....
post #67 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

But it just weird that it doesn't work when the cable box is also plugged in....

Yeah, definitely sounds like a handshake issue, or a splitter issue. HDMI is two way, so sometimes a device will get disabled in that fashion. Might be the cable box signal as well. Did you try using it with the cable box turned off?
post #68 of 91
Thread Starter 
Yeah. I turned the cable box off, but the blu-ray player still wouldn't give any audio through the coaxial plug. The HDMI isn't being used for the audio.
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

The HDMI isn't being used for the audio.

Well, you're not intending to use it for audio, but the HDMI protocol might have different ideas about that. wink.gif Seriously, it does sound like a handshake isn't taking place and the player is freaking out about it. Might be the splitter, or the cable box just being connected.

You said when you unplug the cable box it works, so does that mean the blu-ray audio over coaxial works even when connected to the splitter?

Do you have a link to the model of splitter?

Does the TV only have one HDMI input?

Do you have an optical cable?
post #70 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Well, you're not intending to use it for audio, but the HDMI protocol might have different ideas about that. wink.gif Seriously, it does sound like a handshake isn't taking place and the player is freaking out about it. Might be the splitter, or the cable box just being connected.

You said when you unplug the cable box it works, so does that mean the blu-ray audio over coaxial works even when connected to the splitter?

Do you have a link to the model of splitter?

Does the TV only have one HDMI input?

Do you have an optical cable?

Yeah, the blu-ray audio over coaxial works just fine through the splitter, just not when the cable box is connected.
The splitter is just a 2 female/1 male Y connecter from radio shack. This appears to be the one...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12475707&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT4379539
No, the tv has 2 HDMI imputs. The cable box doesn't have any HDMI as far as I know. Even if it did, by tv doesn't have any kind of audio out, so I wouldn't be able to connect it to the receiver.
No, I don't have an optical cable. My blu-ray player doesn't have any optical outs.
post #71 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post


The splitter is just a 2 female/1 male Y connecter from radio shack. This appears to be the one...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12475707&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT4379539

Oh, I thought it was an HDMI splitter. You're splitting the coaxial. Hmm, sounds like the cable box might be "overriding" the signal, even if turned off. You probably should get an A/V switch instead; that would cut the cable box off completely (as if you've unplugged it.)

Something like this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/3-Way-Switch-Selector-Splitter-XBOX360/dp/B004T8KZCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376958983&sr=8-1&keywords=a%2Fv+switch

Even though there aren't specific coaxial digital audio inputs on it, it would work nonetheless.

Or if you're okay with unplugging the cable box from the splitter, that's fine, too.

Quote:
No, I don't have an optical cable. My blu-ray player doesn't have any optical outs.

What about the cable box? What's the box make and model number?
post #72 of 91
Thread Starter 
No clue. I've had the box for years. It might be a Magnavox of some kind. I do know that it doesn't have optical outs. It's not an hd box. It has a coaxial cable input, analog audio outputs, a coaxial audio output, and...that's pretty much it.
post #73 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Oh, I thought it was an HDMI splitter. You're splitting the coaxial. Hmm, sounds like the cable box might be "overriding" the signal, even if turned off. You probably should get an A/V switch instead; that would cut the cable box off completely (as if you've unplugged it.)

Something like this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/3-Way-Switch-Selector-Splitter-XBOX360/dp/B004T8KZCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376958983&sr=8-1&keywords=a%2Fv+switch

Even though there aren't specific coaxial digital audio inputs on it, it would work nonetheless.

Or if you're okay with unplugging the cable box from the splitter, that's fine, too.
What about the cable box? What's the box make and model number?

If I got something like that, what input would I put the coaxial cables into ? If I used the red input, for instance, would I get sound out of both sides ?
post #74 of 91
Hmm, I'd go with a switch, then.

Also, I was looking up your receiver/system. I've never heard of an Onkyo R391. There is an Onkyo HT-R391 receiver that came with the HT-S3500 home theater-in-a-box. Is that your receiver? Doesn't it have HDMI inputs?
post #75 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Hmm, I'd go with a switch, then.

Also, I was looking up your receiver/system. I've never heard of an Onkyo R391. There is an Onkyo HT-R391 receiver that came with the HT-S3500 home theater-in-a-box. Is that your receiver? Doesn't it have HDMI inputs?

Yeah, that's the one I have. Yeah, it has HDMI inputs. That's not the problem. Neither my VCR nor my cable has HDMI outputs.
post #76 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

If I got something like that, what input would I put the coaxial cables into ? If I used the red input, for instance, would I get sound out of both sides ?

Doesn't matter as long as you're consistent. Red input to red output, etc. It's a digital signal that caries all the audio info. The left/right thing is for analog audio.

Like I said, it's not made for digital audio in mind, but that shouldn't stop it.

If you're more comfortable with ones that have dedicated digital coaxial audio input/output, they do make them, but they're pricier and overkill for what you're wanting to do.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011007&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
post #77 of 91
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I think that's a bit much....
post #78 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

Yeah, that's the one I have. Yeah, it has HDMI inputs. That's not the problem. Neither my VCR nor my cable has HDMI outputs.

But the blu-ray player does, so why not hook it in direct? It would also get you true lossless audio off the blu-rays rather than the core DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1 you're getting now.

VCR and cable box can go through it, too, or at least the audio could. No need to mess with switches, etc.
post #79 of 91
Thread Starter 
The blu-ray player IS connected with an HDMI. The reason that I want to go through a coaxial plug is for DTS-HD Master Audio. I HATE DTS-HD Master Audio. WAY too much dynamic range. So, I have to go for the core DTS track. It's not what I'd like it to be, but it's a lot better than DTS-HD Master Audio. Luckily, I don't have too many DTS-HD blu-rays whose sole audio choice is DTS-HD Master Audio.
post #80 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

The blu-ray player IS connected with an HDMI. The reason that I want to go through a coaxial plug is for DTS-HD Master Audio. I HATE DTS-HD Master Audio. WAY too much dynamic range. So, I have to go for the core DTS track. It's not what I'd like it to be, but it's a lot better than DTS-HD Master Audio. Luckily, I don't have too many DTS-HD blu-rays whose sole audio choice is DTS-HD Master Audio.

Ah, I see. I glanced over the rest of the thread and now I see what you're getting at. I echo the others that the codec itself can't really be at fault for a number of reasons, but that's a horse corpse that has seen enough pummeling.

Actually, instead of a switch, I'd get a coaxial to optical converter and an optical cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2947&CAWELAID=1329448146&catargetid=320013720000010661&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CI6M4vPsirkCFQnhQgodaFQAwg

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?fq=MultiCategoryId:10229&c_id=102&fq=MultiMainCategoryId:102&searchtype=multicategoryid

That way you can take advantage of the receiver's optical inputs and switching and not mess with a switch or splitter. Should solve your blu-ray player's audio woes, too.
post #81 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Ah, I see. I glanced over the rest of the thread and now I see what you're getting at. I echo the others that the codec itself can't really be at fault for a number of reasons, but that's a horse corpse that has seen enough pummeling.

Actually, instead of a switch, I'd get a coaxial to optical converter and an optical cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2947&CAWELAID=1329448146&catargetid=320013720000010661&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CI6M4vPsirkCFQnhQgodaFQAwg

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?fq=MultiCategoryId:10229&c_id=102&fq=MultiMainCategoryId:102&searchtype=multicategoryid

That way you can take advantage of the receiver's optical inputs and switching and not mess with a switch or splitter. Should solve your blu-ray player's audio woes, too.

With that, I'll be able to have the cable box go into the coaxial plug and the blu-ray go into the optical and not have to have a switch or unplug anything ? Cool. Though an unpowered one would be better.
post #82 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

With that, I'll be able to have the cable box go into the coaxial plug and the blu-ray go into the optical and not have to have a switch or unplug anything ?

Yep. Or the cable box into the optical. Dame sifference.

It does look like your receiver ties the coaxial into the #1 HDMI input. They're both marked BD/DVD, so if your blu-ray player is hooked into that input, I'd run the coaxial straight through to that one, and use coax/converter/optical for the cable box. But I don't know how you exactly have everything hooked up on yours. You may even be able to reassign them. I know I could on my old Onkyo receiver.
Quote:
Cool. Though an unpowered one would be better.

Unfortunately, they don't make them unpowered, because they need to be powered to make the conversion work.
post #83 of 91
Thread Starter 
Ah. No problem then.....
post #84 of 91
Good luck. Hope it works out for you, whichever you decide on using.
post #85 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Yep. Or the cable box into the optical. Dame sifference.

It does look like your receiver ties the coaxial into the #1 HDMI input. They're both marked BD/DVD, so if your blu-ray player is hooked into that input, I'd run the coaxial straight through to that one, and use coax/converter/optical for the cable box. But I don't know how you exactly have everything hooked up on yours. You may even be able to reassign them. I know I could on my old Onkyo receiver.
Unfortunately, they don't make them unpowered, because they need to be powered to make the conversion work.

The blu-ray player has the HDMI connected to the receiver, which is fine for everything other than DTS-HD Master Audio. And, since I could have the player and the cable box connected to the same inputs, I ran plain red/white audio cables from the cable box to the receiver. So, if I get the powered coax to optical converter, I'll have that go from the player to the receiver. And then run a coax cable from the cable box to the receiver. That should work, right ?
post #86 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

And, since I could have the player and the cable box connected to the same inputs, I ran plain red/white audio cables from the cable box to the receiver.

Wait, I'm confused. Why the red/white cables? I though the cable box was using coaxial.

Quote:
So, if I get the powered coax to optical converter, I'll have that go from the player to the receiver. And then run a coax cable from the cable box to the receiver. That should work, right ?

Yeah, although again, it depends on which of those optical/coaxial inputs on the receiver are tied to which HDMI inputs. It labels BD/DVD on the coaxial and BD/DVD on the HDMI 1 input, so if your blu-ray player is hooked into HDMI 1, the player should also get the coaxial. (Unless you can reassign them.)
post #87 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Wait, I'm confused. Why the red/white cables? I though the cable box was using coaxial.
Yeah, although again, it depends on which of those optical/coaxial inputs on the receiver are tied to which HDMI inputs. It labels BD/DVD on the coaxial and BD/DVD on the HDMI 1 input, so if your blu-ray player is hooked into HDMI 1, the player should also get the coaxial. (Unless you can reassign them.)

The box WAS using coaxial, but I can't run it with that at the same time as the blu-ray player.
The player has an HDMI cable going from it to the receiver. It's assigned as such. If I mute the HDMI audio, and run a coaxial cable from the player to the one Coaxial input that the receiver has, I can do the audio that way.

My receiver has 4 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output...which is going to the tv. I think I can reassign the inputs. The receiver has something called audio selector. This lets me decide if I want to get the audio from the HDMI inputs or the Coaxial input.
post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

The box WAS using coaxial, but I can't run it with that at the same time as the blu-ray player.

Ah, I see. Well, the converter should restore that.
Quote:
The player has an HDMI cable going from it to the receiver. It's assigned as such.

So it's hooked into HDMI #1? The one labeled BD/DVD?
Quote:
My receiver has 4 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output...which is going to the tv. I think I can reassign the inputs. The receiver has something called audio selector. This lets me decide if I want to get the audio from the HDMI inputs or the Coaxial input.

It looks like the coaxial is assignable, or it's labeled as such. Not sure about the opticals. edit: Actually, it looks like they're all assignable.
post #89 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

LOOOOOOOAAAAADDDDDD TIIIIIIMMMMMMMEEEEEESSSS.

^^^THIS!!^^^
post #90 of 91
Not getting the best possible transfer, the cost and having to pay for a DVD or digital transfer that I won't use and don't care about.

Seggers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Things That Bug You About Blu-ray