or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Las Vegas, NV - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Las Vegas, NV - HDTV - Page 205

post #6121 of 9179
So your saying that when someone turns a box in they don't reuse it. I doubt it.
post #6122 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

So your saying that when someone turns a box in they don't reuse it. I doubt it.

That doesn't necessarily make the box "refurbished." It just makes it "used."
post #6123 of 9179
Cox isn't allowed to give out the 8300HD anymore. As of July 1, all boxes given out must now have the authentication in a separate device (i.e. CableCARD). Cox SA systems such as Phoenix and Las Vegas are generally using the 8240HDC (DVR) and 4240HDC (non-DVR).
post #6124 of 9179
I thought they just couldn't order more. I thought they could use them until they break.
post #6125 of 9179
Quote:


ยง 76.1204 Availability of equipment performing conditional access or security functions.
(a)(1) A multichannel video programming distributor that utilizes navigation devices to perform conditional access functions shall make available equipment that incorporates only the conditional access functions of such devices. Commencing on July 1, 2007, no multichannel video programming distributor subject to this section shall place in service new navigation devices for sale, lease, or use that perform both conditional access and other functions in a single integrated device.

Most of the returns on boxes are due to technical problems, so they don't end up back in circulation. I've heard of people getting the old boxes on specific request, but in my experience, a new box is always given out if nothing is specified.
post #6126 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Most of the returns on boxes are due to technical problems, so they don't end up back in circulation. I've heard of people getting the old boxes on specific request, but in my experience, a new box is always given out if nothing is specified.

If they mail you a box , it looks like its "new", but I'm sure they can package up a refurb model just as good as a new one.
post #6127 of 9179
Is there a reason to keep the old box and not exchange it for a new one?
post #6128 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

Is there a reason to keep the old box and not exchange it for a new one?

i have an 8300hd and an 8240hdc. i may be wrong, but i think the 8300hd has a 80 gb hard drive and the 8240hdc has a 160 gb hard drive. if size matters, i'd exchange.
post #6129 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

If they mail you a box , it looks like its "new", but I'm sure they can package up a refurb model just as good as a new one.

I always go down to one of the Cox retail stores and pick up a box there. I've never seen a single indication of previous use on any of the boxes I've picked up, even on places one would expect to see wear such as the cable in plug. I don't know how satellite providers work, though I imagine those boxes are probably made to a higher standard since they are purchased rather than leased, and pissing off someone who spent $600 on a box is a sure way to drive them to the competition.
post #6130 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

I always go down to one of the Cox retail stores and pick up a box there. I've never seen a single indication of previous use on any of the boxes I've picked up, .

What other "stores" are there besides the main Rancho location--where you can go to get equipment? When they give you the new equipment, is it packaged in a box or do they just bring out a unit "unwrapped"?
post #6131 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

What other "stores" are there besides the main Rancho location--where you can go to get equipment? When they give you the new equipment, is it packaged in a box or do they just bring out a unit "unwrapped"?

i picked up my last two set top box's at the henderson office. the box's were tightly packaged and contained the stb, component cables, coaxial cables, splitter, user's manual, remote and batteries. i don't know if they reuse their equipment, but i can tell you from personal experience that i always have gotten new and unused.
it may be that i'm easy to please or i'm lucky not to have the problems some seem to have with cox. the issues i had with cox were resolved years ago when service was spotty and unreliable.
cox reminds me of japanese cars. when they first came out, they were cheap and poor quality... now, cox is reliable and their service is much better than most (although their automated system is a pita).
i often wonder if the reception many complain about is related to the cheap high definition televisions some buy or is it cox? the reception i receive on my two high definition sony televisions is great in high def and standard def (just a thought and not meant to start a new argument).
post #6132 of 9179
Orange County Calif web page:

post #6133 of 9179
Wow...HD Net and HD Net Movies!! I would love to get those here in Vegas...Even if it is an extra $5.
post #6134 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodave View Post

Wow...HD Net and HD Net Movies!! I would love to get those here in Vegas...Even if it is an extra $5.

Just through a cursory look at the HD Movie schedule, is there really a compelling reason to want to pay another charge for movies that can be found via my current set of premium channels (HBO,Cinemax,TMC,Showtime)? I did see an interesting Hitchcock festival. Other than that, I'm not so sure those other movies are worthwhile. What are the quality aspects? Much better than premium or about the same?
post #6135 of 9179
Picture Quality on HDNet Movies is one of the best. I don't even think they put a bug on the screen during the movie.
post #6136 of 9179
They put a bug on the movies in the very lower right hand corner just for a few minutes during each movie. It goes away quickly and is transparent.

I just moved from Cox to D* to get all the new HD channels and HDNet and HDNet movies are 2 of the ones I like best. Quality is very good.

Keith
post #6137 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKeith View Post


I just moved from Cox to D* to get all the new HD channels. Quality is very good.

Keith

Don't be ridiculous. foghorn2 and Vegggas will go to any lengths to prove you wrong. How DARE you make a statement based purely on what you're seeing and hearing. You MUST be wrong.
post #6138 of 9179
Just did a rescan and now I get CW HD on 6-1.
post #6139 of 9179
re: cablecards - the idea forcing them to use cablecards is to make the cable companies eat their own dogfood. If they just required cable companies to support cablecards, they could "support" them in such a halfassed way that it would never be viable from a consumer standpoint to actually want to use them. However, by forcing Cox and other companies to use cablecards, they have to make sure that the implementation works and works properly.

Also, does anyone know what CCI flags are in use on the HDNET channels? I'd only get them if I could record them in HD (I dont necessarily care about copying them onto my PC via TiVo2Go, but I need to at least record them).
post #6140 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Maestro View Post

Don't be ridiculous. foghorn2 and Vegggas will go to any lengths to prove you wrong. How DARE you make a statement based purely on what you're seeing and hearing. You MUST be wrong.

I was wondering how long it was going to take our resident Cox hater to say something unprovoked...
post #6141 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

BTW does anyone know how much the M-Cards cost compared to the S-Cards? do they charge you 2 digital gateway fees like they do if you get two S-Cards?

Same price as S-Cards. No.

I like my M-Card a lot more actually - the install took 15 minutes vs 4 visits for my two S-Cards.
post #6142 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoombs View Post

I was wondering how long it was going to take our resident Cox hater to say something unprovoked...

Now you know.
Although I don't think my remark was "unprovoked" .It wasn't RECENTLY provoked. But in the past, "provoked" it was
post #6143 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

Also, does anyone know what CCI flags are in use on the HDNET channels? I'd only get them if I could record them in HD (I dont necessarily care about copying them onto my PC via TiVo2Go, but I need to at least record them).

HDNet is not live for the public on any Cox system anywhere. Even then, channel flagging varies from system to system, so what is set in OC will have no effect on Vegas or anywhere else. If HDNet is still active in testing mode in Vegas, the flags set on that may very well change when it is activated.
post #6144 of 9179
Here is a quote from Vin Scully (celebrating his 80th birthday today and his 59th year as a Dodger broadcaster). Although he said it about baseball, it more than sums up my feelings about Cox Cable.

""Good is not good when better is expected."
post #6145 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Maestro View Post

Now you know.
Although I don't think my remark was "unprovoked" .It wasn't RECENTLY provoked. But in the past, "provoked" it was

Internet Troll:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.

Wikipedia Entry for INTERNET TROLL
post #6146 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodave View Post

Internet Troll:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.

Wikipedia Entry for INTERNET TROLL

I don't know if Word Maestro baits as much as he's just a grumpy sourpuss...

And I mean that in the nicest way...
post #6147 of 9179
Demodave.

I have been accused by you, of being an "Internet troll" based on the following definition;
"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response"

So what's wrong with that? Better to be an "Internet troll" than to read a forum which did not have any new messages at all posted for almost one entire week. But if you feel as if I'm trying to "bait" you, I recommend that you don't bite. But apparently you find the bait irresistible. And you continue to chomp away.
post #6148 of 9179
yeah...i have him on my "ignore"..but he evokes such a response everyone quotes him in replies. i can't get away from it!
post #6149 of 9179
According to the "whats new" section on the newest Cox invoice, effective Dec 13, Cox will be adding the following HD channels:

722 TLC
723 HGTV
724 Food Network
727 Discovery
734 CW
post #6150 of 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

According to the "whats new" section on the newest Cox invoice, effective Dec 13, Cox will be adding the following HD channels:

722 TLC
723 HGTV
724 Food Network
727 Discovery
734 CW

Interesting...I think that Cox has already signed the deal for CNN-HD; and that it is available in several Cox markets already. Strange that this will not be one of the new HD channels here.

Nice to see the CW finally get added.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Las Vegas, NV - HDTV