or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Krell Foundation Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

I agree, but in my opinion leave the MX-151 on a league below, no ofense.

I'm not mad at you because you are probably correct. I just included it because a respected member of this forum traded in his Bryston SP3 for the MX-151. eek.gif
post #332 of 1272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I'm not mad at you because you are probably correct. I just included it because a respected member of this forum traded in his Bryston SP3 for the MX-151. eek.gif

eek.gifeek.gif

The only reason i can get an explanation of that is for the looks, nothing else.
post #333 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

I agree, but in my opinion leave the MX-151 on a league below, no ofense.
Also, did one of the reviews not compare it favourably to a Classe SSP800? I thought a comparison to the ADA has been made somewhere as well. I've had an opinion from someone about how it compares to the Bryston SP3 and I trust their judgement.
post #334 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

eek.gifeek.gif

The only reason i can get an explanation of that is for the looks, nothing else.
Room Perfect
post #335 of 1272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Room Perfect

Fair enough
post #336 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Room Perfect

I, myself, am not an EQ man, but many swear by it.
post #337 of 1272
ARES is calibrating subwoofer hot! Mine was 10dBC hotter compared to other channels. Since there are no internal test tones, you may not know what the levels are. Please check your setup with external test tones and an SPL meter.
Edited by jmcomp124 - 12/21/13 at 3:59pm
post #338 of 1272
Surely if a subwoofer is 10dB hot you would know straight away, before it even got to something that could potentially cause any damage.
post #339 of 1272
The subwoofer should be 10dB hotter than the speakers anyway. So are you saying that it is set 10dB hotter than the speakers, or 10dB hotter than it should be?
post #340 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAudioSlave View Post

The subwoofer should be 10dB hotter than the speakers anyway. So are you saying that it is set 10dB hotter than the speakers, or 10dB hotter than it should be?
10dBC hotter compared to other channels.
post #341 of 1272
Mine always was 4db exactly higher. I just went in and turned it down in edit settings. I just always wondered if it was my room or something. I can tell you though it always sounded good even at reference which with my meter and the new disc that oppo sells was 92 on my volume scale. This was with a rat shack new digital meter.
post #342 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Mine always was 4db exactly higher. I just went in and turned it down in edit settings. I just always wondered if it was my room or something. I can tell you though it always sounded good even at reference which with my meter and the new disc that oppo sells was 92 on my volume scale. This was with a rat shack new digital meter.
Hi Ron,
Thanks for confirming. Can you elaborate how you determined the reference point?
Thanks,
-Jai
post #343 of 1272
HDMI 1 and 2 Output resolutions?

Is it possible to set the output resolutions for the HDMI1 and 2 outputs? I have a 2nd monitor that can do only upto 720p. It looks like the Foundation does a pure pass thru and transcoding but no scaling. Any pointers anyone?
post #344 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

If the Foundation sounds better than Krells other two processors, they are in trouble. If the Foundation sounds the same or worst than their other two processors they are still in trouble. eek.gif

Hummm, who ever said the Foundation sounds better than 707 Evo? Never heard or read so.
Edited by RefTheater - 12/21/13 at 1:45am
post #345 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefTheater View Post

Hummm, who ever said the Foundation sounds better than 707 Evo? Never heard or read so.

Don't pay it no mind. It's just pointless speculation.
post #346 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAudioSlave View Post

Don't pay it no mind. It's just pointless speculation.

Speculation it is; pointless it's not.
post #347 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

Hi Ron,
Thanks for confirming. Can you elaborate how you determined the reference point?
Thanks,
-Jai

Used my oppo with the test tones from the Spears and munsil 2nd edition and my digital spl meter from radio shack. Calibrated the test tones from the disc to an average of 75db on the meter. This was all 7.1. Not all 7.1 at the same time. Lol Then Looked at the display of the Foundation and it was set at 92. This is where I started watching almost all my movies at.

Music I hardly ever got to 92. Mostly about 69-80. But on occasion I would run it up to about 89. And it sounded so good. I couldn't believe I never liked digital before. Sounded so analog like.

I have always had a hard time listening to cds at loud levels. Something I have never liked about the digital sound. Didn't matter what I was listening to it on. There was always something in the male voice region that I hated. It was just ok at lower levels. But loud was out of the question. But with the combination of the oppo 105 and the Foundation that problem was all gone. And I had tears in my eyes a few times because I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. Just pure music everywhere. Regardless of 2 or multichannel.

Sorry for rambling on but I miss it so much. It is driving me crazy not to have my Foundation anymore. I can't wait to get another one.
post #348 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

HDMI 1 and 2 Output resolutions?

Is it possible to set the output resolutions for the HDMI1 and 2 outputs? I have a 2nd monitor that can do only upto 720p. It looks like the Foundation does a pure pass thru and transcoding but no scaling. Any pointers anyone?

No it is not through the Foundation. I am sure there is other methods but not through the Foundation at this time. Maybe one of these upgrades will allow it.
post #349 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Speculation it is; pointless it's not.

If you are so happy with what you already have then why are you wasting time reading and posting in what is now an owner's thread for a product you seem to dislike and supposedly have no interest in?
Edited by ProAudioSlave - 12/21/13 at 2:36pm
post #350 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAudioSlave View Post

If you are so happy with what you already have then why are you wasting time reading and posting in what is now an owner's thread for a product you seem to dislike and supposedly have no interest in?

Because I own a Krell product. Besides, don't get incensed by my "pointless speculation." tongue.gif;)
post #351 of 1272
Gbaby what do you think of Krell amps? I know you own one. Are they all truly balanced class A throughout? If they are I would love to hear one. Maybe if that is an amp under the Foundation in that photo I will own one.

One other question between my wife and I we make pretty good money but I still had a hard time buying the Foundation. And we dont take a lot of trips or anything. Live in a modest home. How do you people do it? Before I bought the Krell I was going to Bestbuy every Wednesday and buying a couple bluerays. I was buying hdtracks downloads by the boatload. After I bought it I couldn't enjoy it like I wanted because I couldn't buy any media anymore. I couldn't afford both.
post #352 of 1272
c'mon guys let's not turn this into the Casablanca thread..................
post #353 of 1272
I'm finally hooking my Foundation up and would rather see more advice on setup from owners rather than speculating on other gear being better or worse. Isn't this now an owners thread?
post #354 of 1272
Ps. I am using Krell amplification even though not the S1500. I personally like the Krell sound from their amps even though I've never liked their front end. I also use an Evolution 202 pre-amp in my 2 channel system.
post #355 of 1272
I have said all I can say on setup. All I can think of that is. Along with what was said about stereo plus sub in the other post. If you guys have any particular questions please ask. If I can help I will.

Now there is starting to be more owners so that should help also. Seems as if we have some knowledgeable folks in here to help out. Maybe I can learn a few things also.
post #356 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

I'm finally hooking my Foundation up and would rather see more advice on setup from owners rather than speculating on other gear being better or worse. Isn't this now an owners thread?

Please let us know what you think of the Foundation asap. I am anxious
post #357 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Gbaby what do you think of Krell amps? I know you own one. Are they all truly balanced class A throughout? If they are I would love to hear one. Maybe if that is an amp under the Foundation in that photo I will own one.

One other question between my wife and I we make pretty good money but I still had a hard time buying the Foundation. And we dont take a lot of trips or anything. Live in a modest home. How do you people do it? Before I bought the Krell I was going to Bestbuy every Wednesday and buying a couple bluerays. I was buying hdtracks downloads by the boatload. After I bought it I couldn't enjoy it like I wanted because I couldn't buy any media anymore. I couldn't afford both.

I've only owned one Krell amp, the KAV-500, and I still use it to drive the center and surround channels of my 7.1 home theater system. It is fully balanced, but I cannot say its all class A throughout. If I had to bet on it, I'd say its class A/B. I use a hand built 2 channel Class A amp from Nelson Pass of Pass Lab audio, the Aleph J, for 2 channel duties. Before I purchased my Krell, I was using a 5 Channel Carver amp , the AV 705x, which now resides in my bedroom, and was purchased from Circuit City. I consider the KAV-500 my first dip into "highend" , but its really low end for Krell. Lets say its entry level Krell. Later, Bryston came out with its 5 channel amp, the Bryston 9b, and it was much cheaper and sonically bettered the Krell in every way. Krell lhas always been known to be over priced. When I purchased my Krell sometime around 1995, it had a matching processor, the Krell Home Theater Standard, that cost $16,000.00, and was pro-logic. eek.gif However, I auditioned it at Harvey's in midtown New York, and it had an unforgettable steely sound that the saleman tried to describe to me as being an accurate sound. But my ears told me my Sony ES processor sounded better.

I have purchased and sold equipment over the years, and I have purchased everthing I own after reading review from either Stereophile or the now defunct Stereophile Guide To Home Theater, the best ever audio/video magazine bar none. Look, I can't afford this sh_t either. smile.gif Heck, I still owe 6k on my Bryston SP3. While I never pay retail, I try to buy products that punch well out of their price range. You find this out from reviews. If Kal Rubinson endorses it, you can take it to the bank.
Edited by gbaby - 12/21/13 at 8:44pm
post #358 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I've only owned one Krell amp, the KAV-500, and I still use it to drive the center and surround channels of my 7.1 home theater system. It is fully balanced, but I cannot say its all class A throughout. If I had to bet on it, I'd say its class A/B. I use a hand built 2 channel Class A amp from Nelson Pass of Pass Lab audio, the Aleph J, for 2 channel duties. Before I purchased my Krell, I was using a 5 Channel Carver amp AV 705x which now resides in my bedroom, and was purchased from Circuit City. I consider the KAV-500 my first dip into "highend" , but its really low end for Krell. Lets say its entry level Krell. Later, Bryston came out with its 5 channel amp, the Bryston 9b, and it was much cheaper and sonically bettered the Krell in every way. Krell lhas always been known to be over priced. When I purchased my Krell sometime around 1995, it had a matching processor, the Krell Home Theater Standard, that cost $16,000.00, and was pro-logic. eek.gif However, I auditioned it at Harvey's in midtown New York, and it had an unforgettable steely sound that the saleman tried to describe to me as being an accurate sound. But my ears told me my Sony ES processor sounded better.

I have purchased and sold equipment over the years, and I have purchased everthing I own after reading review from either Stereophile or the now defunct Stereophile Guide To Home Theater, the best ever audio/video magazine bar none. Look, I can't afford this sh_t either. smile.gif Heck, I still own 6k on my Bryston SP3. While I never pay retail, I try to buy products that punch well out of their price range. You find this out from reviews. If Kal Rubinson endorses it, you can take it to the bank.

That is what I think of the Foundation. To get better sound you have to spend a lot more.

And that is exactly why I cant wait for Kals take on the Foundation. Also he may help us figure out some things about it.
post #359 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

That is what I think of the Foundation. To get better sound you have to spend a lot more.

And that is exactly why I cant wait for Kals take on the Foundation. Also he may help us figure out some things about it.

I do understand. The Foundation just may be one of those units that punts we'll out of its price range. The fact Krell has new owners bodes well for the Foundation.
post #360 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

I'm finally hooking my Foundation up and would rather see more advice on setup from owners rather than speculating on other gear being better or worse. Isn't this now an owners thread?

If your running 7.1 don't forget to turn the rears on in the audio settings. I just figured that out today after 2 weeks. This allows your rears to fire when playing 5.1 material such as directv.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Krell Foundation Owners Thread