or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Krell Foundation Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 33

post #961 of 1268
I had my Oppo set to PCM since the beginning. I think I followed the Oppo Manual for best results from their perspective. Now I am getting interested to change the Oppo setting to Bitstream and see how it goes.
Have installed the latest software update 1.15. Is there a newer one - 1.16? Looks like the updates are having some positive impact on the overall performance of our Foundation.
But I am not sure if we have to run the ARES everytime we install updates, not seems logical to me, nor in line with my previous experiences of using other gears. But I will run the ARES once more just for the heck of it and see what happens:) I actually made a big jump from my last version of 1.09 to 1.15. So, it won't be such a bad idea after all.
post #962 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosoft7 View Post

I had my Oppo set to PCM since the beginning. I think I followed the Oppo Manual for best results from their perspective. Now I am getting interested to change the Oppo setting to Bitstream and see how it goes.
Have installed the latest software update 1.15. Is there a newer one - 1.16? Looks like the updates are having some positive impact on the overall performance of our Foundation.
But I am not sure if we have to run the ARES everytime we install updates, not seems logical to me, nor in line with my previous experiences of using other gears. But I will run the ARES once more just for the heck of it and see what happens:) I actually made a big jump from my last version of 1.09 to 1.15. So, it won't be such a bad idea after all.
the update that was released Monday was 1.16. That gives you the opportunity to adjust left and right separately. Did you get email from Krell about the update and what it's supposed to do? I ran ARES again to see if it fixed the sub issue and to me it sounds better after the last update (and set my speakers differently). Maybe I'm just imagining it but does sound better.
post #963 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

the update that was released Monday was 1.16. That gives you the opportunity to adjust left and right separately. Did you get email from Krell about the update and what it's supposed to do? I ran ARES again to see if it fixed the sub issue and to me it sounds better after the last update (and set my speakers differently). Maybe I'm just imagining it but does sound better.

Thanks for the info - I will update to 1.16 asap then. I sent a mail to tech department of Krell today requesting the information regarding the functional and/or performance related changes that we should expect from these updates. Will wait for a couple of days for a response, then may be send a reminder.
Once I got the info, will surely share that will all in our forum.
post #964 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Steve let us know what you think.

And proaudioslave I hope you have better luck with your next Foundation. I wish you had bought my old one. It suffered no malfunctions whatsoever. Not one. Not even the coax digital problem.
Mine has been flawless also (except for my pink picture on my Runco plasma which as it turns out was the HDMI to DVI causing it, now fixed after the last update). I just love my Foundation!
post #965 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosoft7 View Post

I had my Oppo set to PCM since the beginning. I think I followed the Oppo Manual for best results from their perspective. Now I am getting interested to change the Oppo setting to Bitstream and see how it goes.
Have installed the latest software update 1.15. Is there a newer one - 1.16? Looks like the updates are having some positive impact on the overall performance of our Foundation.
But I am not sure if we have to run the ARES everytime we install updates, not seems logical to me, nor in line with my previous experiences of using other gears. But I will run the ARES once more just for the heck of it and see what happens:) I actually made a big jump from my last version of 1.09 to 1.15. So, it won't be such a bad idea after all.
This is to take advantage of the oppos dacs. The Foundation has the same dacs so try bitstream.
post #966 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Steve let us know what you think.

And proaudioslave I hope you have better luck with your next Foundation. I wish you had bought my old one. It suffered no malfunctions whatsoever. Not one. Not even the coax digital problem.

I think it sounds great period. I went back in after my second ARES run with the new software, and checked R/L, and RS/LS and it set everything the same it appears. The only difference for me is the sub as I am setting it manually.

If anything the EQ settings may be a little different because I had my sub set up on full volume, so its really hard to tell. But it sounds great. We watched a movie last night and it was great, had to actually turn down sub just a tad more as our wedding pic on the wall started rattling.
post #967 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post

I think it sounds great period. I went back in after my second ARES run with the new software, and checked R/L, and RS/LS and it set everything the same it appears. The only difference for me is the sub as I am setting it manually.

If anything the EQ settings may be a little different because I had my sub set up on full volume, so its really hard to tell. But it sounds great. We watched a movie last night and it was great, had to actually turn down sub just a tad more as our wedding pic on the wall started rattling.
Mine tested differently but I had my mic on a camera tripod (in listening position) to see if it would pick up the sub differently instead of on my listening chair. It didn't set my B&W 802's at full range as before. Fronts crossover at 55 and B&W HTM2 at 150. I can understand the fronts but the HTM2 sounds little high? It sounds good though so for now I'm leaving it this way.
post #968 of 1268
Has anyone messed with the manual eq function yet? If so how is it?
post #969 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Has anyone messed with the manual eq function yet? If so how is it?

Manual EQ?

post #970 of 1268
Yes in the brand new firmware released Monday or Tuesday.
post #971 of 1268
Also individual l and r spkr ares settings now. Along with 24/192 through coax as well as hdmi. And also according to the email I received guess what DSD will be in the very near future. wink.gif I believe it says the next firmware will have dsd
Edited by rhale64L7 - 2/13/14 at 7:43am
post #972 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Yes in the brand new firmware released Monday or Tuesday.

I have not yet downloaded it but the release notes say:

 

Manual Calibration of Individual Speakers with Noise Generator

Within the Speaker Setup sub menu, navigate to Edit Settings and select the desired Memory location to edit.

 

·         Press the Up or Down arrow to select the speaker to adjust.  

·         Press the Enter button to activate the noise generator.  

·         Use the Right arrow button to Navigate to the dB field and use the Up or Down arrow to adjust to the desired setting.  

·         Press the Enter button to confirm.  

·         Use the Up or Down arrow to select another speaker and repeat process.

Important Note: Once all the speakers have been adjusted, press the Left button to write the changes into memory. The Reading, Writing, Erasing DSP Flash message will appear confirming the changes have been captured. 

 

I see no mention of EQ.

post #973 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I have not yet downloaded it but the release notes say:

Manual Calibration of Individual Speakers with Noise Generator
Within the Speaker Setup sub menu, navigate to Edit Settings and select the desired Memory location to edit.

·         Press the Up or Down arrow to select the speaker to adjust.  
·         Press the Enter button to activate the noise generator.  
·         Use the Right arrow button to Navigate to the dB field and use the Up or Down arrow to adjust to the desired setting.  
·         Press the Enter button to confirm.  
·         Use the Up or Down arrow to select another speaker and repeat process.
Important Note: Once all the speakers have been adjusted, press the Left button to write the changes into memory. The Reading, Writing, Erasing DSP Flash message will appear confirming the changes have been captured. 

I see no mention of EQ.
Wow did I jump to conclusion or what? I don't know why I thought I read eq. Thanx for correcting me.
post #974 of 1268
Now I have to go reread
post #975 of 1268
Ok I reread the email. And I guess I would make the same mistake again. I guess I misconstrued calibration for eq.
post #976 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post


Wow did I jump to conclusion or what? I don't know why I thought I read eq. Thanx for correcting me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Now I have to go reread
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Ok I reread the email. And I guess I would make the same mistake again. I guess I misconstrued calibration for eq.

Me, too.  I got my hopes up too soon and read what I wanted it to be.

post #977 of 1268
^ yep same here. I wasn't even expecting manual eq and totally flipped out when I read the email. Makes you wonder though if it could be added later? I didn't really expect them to add the individual l/r spkr adjustment. And they did.
post #978 of 1268
With a product like the Foundation there are possibilities for Krell to offer options or upgrades, based on what the majority of people want. They obviously aren't going to offer every possible option based on one or a few people asking or commenting, but I do believe that they are somewhat open to suggestions and would consider implementing something that is popular, if they believe it would be worthwhile and providing that it is within the capabilities of the platform.

I am still very much looking forward to one particular feature, that I hope will be coming fairly soon. I'm pretty sure that this option, along with other upgrades currently under development, will be welcomed by many and help the Foundation become more desirable. However, with the very highly regarded Connect streamer already available, a selection of Power Amps imminent and a Blu-Ray Player also on the way, it is vital for the Foundation to be further developed and refined as quickly and competently as possible. Good things are coming, but timing will make a huge difference.
post #979 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAudioSlave View Post

With a product like the Foundation there are possibilities for Krell to offer options or upgrades, based on what the majority of people want. They obviously aren't going to offer every possible option based on one or a few people asking or commenting, but I do believe that they are somewhat open to suggestions and would consider implementing something that is popular, if they believe it would be worthwhile and providing that it is within the capabilities of the platform.

I am still very much looking forward to one particular feature, that I hope will be coming fairly soon. I'm pretty sure that this option, along with other upgrades currently under development, will be welcomed by many and help the Foundation become more desirable. However, with the very highly regarded Connect streamer already available, a selection of Power Amps imminent and a Blu-Ray Player also on the way, it is vital for the Foundation to be further developed and refined as quickly and competently as possible. Good things are coming, but timing will make a huge difference.

I agree totally with what you are saying. I hope if one of the upgrades is 4k passthrough that they wait for the new chips. If they try to rush it like Theta did the upgrade may be obsolete in a couple years. The new standards have now been set. So they need to wait on the new chips.
post #980 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

I agree totally with what you are saying. I hope if one of the upgrades is 4k passthrough that they wait for the new chips. If they try to rush it like Theta did the upgrade may be obsolete in a couple years. The new standards have now been set. So they need to wait on the new chips.

Thanks for the heads up. This is wonderful news for the Krell owners. It is good to see responsive changes. The separate L and R speaker calibration addition is really something so basic but glad they knew this and added. At this point, everything else is gravy.

I'd bet more good stuff is coming..
post #981 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I'd bet more good stuff is coming..
It is. tongue.gif
post #982 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAudioSlave View Post

It is. tongue.gif
Yeah you know what it is too. You lucky bum. Lol
post #983 of 1268
I got a response to my email very quickly. But Patrick of Krell only informed me about the availability of latest version - which is 1.16 and I have already become well aware of this via our Forum:) But he possibly inadvertently missed the part of my question where I wanted to know what features are being enriched or improved after installing this latest version. So, I sent him a follow-up few minutes back. Still waiting for a response.
post #984 of 1268
I really wish I could share what I was told, but it wouldn't really do anyone any favours. Krell aren't going to admit to anything until it's imminent, so it's just a case of waiting for things to unfold. I'm guessing things have been a little slow because they were working on the Hi-Fi Pre-Amp, Power Amps and Blu-Ray Player. Those products aren't going to need constant maintenance by Krell, so I think (and hope) that more time will now be dedicated to the Foundation. But we shall see.
post #985 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAudioSlave View Post

I really wish I could share what I was told, but it wouldn't really do anyone any favours. Krell aren't going to admit to anything until it's imminent, so it's just a case of waiting for things to unfold. I'm guessing things have been a little slow because they were working on the Hi-Fi Pre-Amp, Power Amps and Blu-Ray Player. Those products aren't going to need constant maintenance by Krell, so I think (and hope) that more time will now be dedicated to the Foundation. But we shall see.
I really wish you could to. But I am glad your not. If there is an important reason for this to not get out then it shouldn't. Still doesn't make me any less excited, darnit.
post #986 of 1268
Just noticed that when I reran ARES after the update I used the old mic so tried again this AM with the new mic and it picked up my sub without having to turn it up. Also played around with the EQ at full, 250 and 125. In my setup I prefer 125. Didn't like full at all. 250 not too bad but 125 works best in my setup. Still sounds amazing. I love my Foundation!
post #987 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

Just noticed that when I reran ARES after the update I used the old mic so tried again this AM with the new mic and it picked up my sub without having to turn it up. Also played around with the EQ at full, 250 and 125. In my setup I prefer 125. Didn't like full at all. 250 not too bad but 125 works best in my setup. Still sounds amazing. I love my Foundation!

I did my set up with 125 as well. Of course I will never do it with Full, since it will not leverage the advantage of Foundation that is meant to leave the high frequencies alone and only improve the low freqs.
I am planning to run my ARES tomorrow afternoon. Then play the movie "Gravity" - which I hope, would push me out to a joyful space of audio world instead of pulling down to our beloved Earth:)
post #988 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosoft7 View Post

I did my set up with 125 as well. Of course I will never do it with Full, since it will not leverage the advantage of Foundation that is meant to leave the high frequencies alone and only improve the low freqs.
I am planning to run my ARES tomorrow afternoon. Then play the movie "Gravity" - which I hope, would push me out to a joyful space of audio world instead of pulling down to our beloved Earth:)
Let me know if it picks up your sub after the update.
post #989 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

Let me know if it picks up your sub after the update.

Interesting, so I will give that a try too and run at 125 and see what happens
Edited by scpanel - 2/17/14 at 7:44am
post #990 of 1268
I am following this thread as the Foundation is in my list for a future prepro. What I have trouble understanding is ARES only EQs the low frequencies (which I agree with) but the mic has trouble picking up subs and is rated only to 50 Hz. Does this bug anybody else?

FWIW my list is Bryston SP3, Foundation, Classe' Sigma and the rumored AVP replacement to be a Marantz. My first awe moments in HiFi involved Krell electronics so long time fan.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Krell Foundation Owners Thread