or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxFH6030 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxFH6030 Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 229
BTW I forgot to mention that with Xbox One I have played ACreed and CoD locally, on XBL I have played Killer Instinct. With PS4 ia have been playing NFS and KNACK locally again. Both consoles and their games looked amazing with native settings. I am sure with proper calibration it will look way better.
Edited by I am Sam - 12/31/13 at 8:42am
post #122 of 229

bought this 55" tv.

very nice...... but

i choose samsung cause of DTS support. I dont have and dont watch TV, DVD, Blueray, only movies from torrent.

So many BDRips comes with DTS sound. And it takes lots of time for DTS->AC3 decoding for my old LG.

Even new LGs does not support DTS. I dont know about top models.

 

Samsung media player browse directories of USB device too slow. too very slow. I use 1TB laptop HDD, i works with my my old LG.

Every next page or directory change takes 3-5 seconds

Second problem: player didnt store position.

 

What about top samsung models? are they slow too?

post #123 of 229
Not sure the mods are going to let us talk about playing illegal rips from online....

As to playing digital media in general, I can't comment on how this tv does. This isn't even technically a smart tv. If you have the couple hundred for this screen, go grab a roku or set top device that actually CAN handle digital media and is designed purposefully for that task. If it's all you watch, then it'll be an investment you'll enjoy. Every tv I have has a streaming device and my 6030 actually has 3 hooked to it.
post #124 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
This isn't even technically a smart tv.

It should not be a smart TV. My cheapest 42" 2010 model of LG did it. 2009 models plays 1080p mvk after unlock through service menu. Samsung same one.

 

I need to take hard drive and test all TV in store.

post #125 of 229
I have used Lexar 64GB (USB 3.0) USB Key and did not noticed much lag (NTFS Formatted). I am now using wifi USB and browsing folders on remote machines which is way faster as compared to USB. I wish if samsung could come up with AC Wifi dongle for this TV.
post #126 of 229
My son just got the 55 inch I just got the 40 for the bedroom. There is a setting for the "motion lighting" We both have it turned off. Really it can be a pain. On his set you can still see the brightness fluctuates as if it was still on. Any reason why this would be? Thanks.
post #127 of 229
Did you turn off the setting in the eco menu for auto dim?
post #128 of 229
Looks like no one else has tried to hook up a PC to this TV for gaming beyond 60hz? What I have been saying is that when playing 3d content from my PS3, it seems fine but the TV does not state 120hz anywhere when playing 3D.....so I assume it may still be doing 60hz for 1080p 3D content from PS3 and blu-ray players....I can't tell.

But I trust my Alienware m11x R3 and nVidia info. Because I have 2 dlp projectors that can output 120hz visually when fed with proper HDMI 1.4 input and source content. The nVidia 3D vision demo and setup alone will tell you when you can get 120hz, but even at 720p this TV won't go beyond 75hz when manually configuring the panel. I can't even push 76, 78hz etc. In 1080p, I can't go beyond 60hz but that's probably because of HDMI 1.4 limitation (too bad, the m11x R3 has displayport). What IS strange is that when setting up 3D from a PC (with my ATI card), only options I get for 3d output are 1080p @24hz (yes 24hz) or 720p @60hz. However the fact that it gives me true 24hz gives me hope because there is a possibility of 24x5 = 120hz so this panel ISN'T doing some sort of pull-down when playing native 24p material (I think). More likely the max is 75hz on this TV (@720p) which isn't terrible. I did read that this TV has a bit of above average input lag for gaming anyhow (over 40ms) so I'll stick to my monitor for most gaming.

Some info on others with Samsung TV and 3D gaming from PC: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=11869

Some info about 24hz and 24p playback: http://xt7-player.sourceforge.net/xt7forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=668

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad55 View Post

My reply was concerning 1080p @ 120hz. It is true that HDMI can do 120hz under 720p but I figured you were asking about 1080p. It is odd that you are unable to reach 120hz under 3D 720p and I'm not entirely sure why that would be the case. I'm not much help in that regard as I do not own this set yet, but I do hope someone here can shed some light as to why that is happening.

When you say it won't do any PC gaming, are you saying that because you intended to play games in 3D? I am eager to see how PC games fair on this set.
post #129 of 229
Thanks that was it. smile.gif
post #130 of 229
I have the 55" version of this TV and love it. However, I'm having an issue with the audio that's puzzling me. Any help is appreciated.

My receiver is a few years old and started having issues passing an HD signal via HDMI. Therefore, instead of going cable box / AppleTV > receiver > tv, I connected it in the following manner:

Cable Box > TV via HDMI
Apple TV > TV via HDMI
TV to Receiver via optical

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get Dolby Digital when watching Cable. It keeps defaulting to Pro Logic and won't even give me the digital option. When I go into the TV's audio settings, I can only choose PCM and not Dolby or DTS. It doesn't make a difference what content is playing.

To make things more interesting, I can get Dolby Digital working when watching something on Apple TV. However, in order to do so, I have to go into the TV's audio settings and switch from PCM to Dolby every time I start watching something encoded in Dolby 5.1 (e.g. most content on Netflix). Once I stop watching, the TV reverts to PCM for the optical out. Then, when I start watching again, I have to go into the settings and switch it back to Dolby.

Anyone have a clue here? Thank you
post #131 of 229
I know this sounds backwards, but I have eliminated very similar issues by using TOSLINK (optical) cables for Audio and HDMI for video. The only scenario where that wont work, is with the advanced Audio formats on Blu-Ray disks (e.g. Dolby TrueHD) which require HDMI
post #132 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

I know this sounds backwards, but I have eliminated very similar issues by using TOSLINK (optical) cables for Audio and HDMI for video. The only scenario where that wont work, is with the advanced Audio formats on Blu-Ray disks (e.g. Dolby TrueHD) which require HDMI

Isn't that what I did though?
post #133 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopcg View Post

Isn't that what I did though?

You need to access your cable box setup menu and set the HDMI audio option to PASSTHROUGH. That will allow your cable box to send DD 5.1 to the TV, which in turn should pass it through to the AVR via the Toslink output. On the Apple TV, I would suggest connecting it to the AVR via Toslink and enabling Dolby Digital in the Apple TV's audio menu.
Edited by Rudy1 - 1/14/14 at 9:05am
post #134 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopcg View Post

Isn't that what I did though?

No, I mean going from cable box to your receiver with Optical. Removes HDMI handshaking issues which cause it to use PCM instead of Dolby Digital
post #135 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

No, I mean going from cable box to your receiver with Optical. Removes HDMI handshaking issues which cause it to use PCM instead of Dolby Digital

Digital coax is the next best option if he doesn't have an optical cable.
post #136 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopcg View Post

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get Dolby Digital when watching Cable. It keeps defaulting to Pro Logic and won't even give me the digital option. When I go into the TV's audio settings, I can only choose PCM and not Dolby or DTS. It doesn't make a difference what content is playing.

I have the 40 inch version of the TV, and according to the user manual, it only supports Dolby Digital for the internal tuner, it does not support Dolby Digital via HDMI inputs. I'm not sure why the Apple TV is working unless it has it's own internal Dolby Digital processor.

Here's an excerpt from the manual, "When the receiver (home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD player / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and you connected it to the TV via HDMI, you will only hear 2 CH audio from the home theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater."
post #137 of 229
If you're getting 5.1 in pcm then it really doesn't matter since it's the same thing, just being decoded before your receiver.

Have you double checked and/or reset your receiver so you know it's not set to encode pcm streams into PL? My Denon will always pick the software I used last for whatever stream is incoming.
post #138 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

You need to access your cable box setup menu and set the HDMI audio option to PASSTHROUGH. That will allow your cable box to send DD 5.1 to the TV, which in turn should pass it through to the AVR via the Toslink output. On the Apple TV, I would suggest connecting it to the AVR via Toslink and enabling Dolby Digital in the Apple TV's audio menu.

This solved it. Once I set the HDMI to pass through, Dolby started working while watching TV. As for the AppleTV, Dolby was set to "auto" and not "on." Switching it to ON fixed that issue. Not sure how I missed that the first time around.

Thanks, everyone. I would have never known about the hidden menu to set the HDMI to pass-through.
post #139 of 229

I have the UN40FH6030 and am having trouble coming up with a reasonably pleasant looking skin tone for over the air antenna TV viewing. I'm comparing the Samsung to my Sony  KD-34XBR970 CRT TV which displays a nice healthy skin tone. So far I can't get the Samsung to look as good as the Sony.

 The Sony skin tone seems to have some orange in it that I haven't been able to match on the Samsung.

I can push the red on the Samsung but it doesn't give me more orange.

 Are any other owners of the Samsung getting a good skin tone? 

As far as settings go, I've disabled all auto adjusting features and have tried adjusting the Skin Tone and Gamma settings.

I've also tried both Native and Auto in Color Space.

 For Picture Setting so far I've had the best results in Movie Mode and Standard mode.

 Does anyone have any recommended settings for good skin tone?

 Can white balance adjustments get me there?

Any ideas will be appreciated. I have to decide whether to keep the TV by Wednesday.

  Thanks

post #140 of 229
Run down to BB and see if they have any hdtv calibration discs on the shelf. That will help you adjust your picture to the proper color.
post #141 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014TV View Post

I have the UN40FH6030 and am having trouble coming up with a reasonably pleasant looking skin tone for over the air antenna TV viewing.

I purchased this TV a few months ago have never been able to get it to display realistic skin tones despite using multiple calibration discs and even renting a professional calibration kit which included a colorimeter to adjust the white balance. After all of that, I was able to get the TV to display fairly decent skin tones for HD content. However, I watch quite a bit of SD content from the 60s and 70s, and the skin tones for that content was still terrible. I can only conclude that there is either a defect in the TV itself or it is doing some sort of dynamic processing related to skin tones. Either way, the picture quality was unacceptable to me, and I ended up going back to my previous TV. If you're not satisfied with it now, I would recommend returning it because I don't believe that you will ever be completely satisfied. That was my experience anyway.
post #142 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

I purchased this TV a few months ago have never been able to get it to display realistic skin tones despite using multiple calibration discs and even renting a professional calibration kit which included a colorimeter to adjust the white balance. After all of that, I was able to get the TV to display fairly decent skin tones for HD content. However, I watch quite a bit of SD content from the 60s and 70s, and the skin tones for that content was still terrible. I can only conclude that there is either a defect in the TV itself or it is doing some sort of dynamic processing related to skin tones. Either way, the picture quality was unacceptable to me, and I ended up going back to my previous TV. If you're not satisfied with it now, I would recommend returning it because I don't believe that you will ever be completely satisfied. That was my experience anyway.

My first Samsung was one of their first "high-end" DLP sets, and I remember distinctly being struck by the pseudo-Pepto Bismol pink it cast on lighter fleshtones. And a year ago, the Samsung plasma I owned (again, one of their "better" models) had the same issue...no matter what I did, I could not get fleshtones to appear realistic to me. Despite being several years apart, and employing entirely different technologies, both TVs had specific controls within their menus for adjusting fleshtones in the red/green range. I believe it has something to do with whatever algorithms Samsung uses to generate fleshtone colors in their TVs, but while some may find it pleasing I think it is completely unrealistic.
post #143 of 229
Wonder if it has anything to do with actually viewing it to. I don't see the red 'overtint' at all, even through the calibration I hardly changed my color.
post #144 of 229
I heard that some TV manufacturers market LCD's as an LED television which brings me to this question. Is this model television a true LED television?...
post #145 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistractedJohn View Post

I heard that some TV manufacturers market LCD's as an LED television which brings me to this question. Is this model television a true LED television?...

All current so-called LED TVs are actually LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) TVs that are back (or edge) lit by LED lights. As far as I know, no manufacturer to date has exhibited a true LED display (that is, one where the LEDs themselves make up the pixels which create the image)...not even in prototype form.
post #146 of 229

LED tvs exist, they're just almost always billboard sized or bigger.  Given that the normal consumer could care less about what is actually in their tv or how it works, LED is just a new, shiny marketing term for them to paste on the box.  This tv is still an lcd display

post #147 of 229
Thank you guys...
post #148 of 229

Hi. I recently bought the 55" and the AutoMotion Plus stuff confuses me. I've turned AMP on and set it to "smooth" and while I definitely notice what is called the "soap opera effect" it doesn't appear to be constant. During slow-panning scenes the effect is obviously noticeable, but then during slow-action / fast-action scenes the effect seems to go away... and then the next scene a few seconds later it may become noticeable again depending on what's going on in the movie at the time. Is this to be expected? Should the effect be cutting in and out like that, or should the effect be constant throughout all scenes, action or not? Because as of right now, when it's not constant it just gets annoying... and if that's what is to be expected from this display then I don't see a point in turning it on, nor do I see a point in spending the extra money on a display with this technology. 

 

Hope that makes sense. Can anyone fill me in? 

 

Thanks.

post #149 of 229
It's not a problem with the tv. The effect is just far more noticeable when moving slow. Watch it for a few days, all kinds of stuff, then turn it back off and you should see the difference. You can also go in and instead of using smooth, try adjusting it in 'manual mode'. You really didn't spend extra money though just for that feature, a lot if not most tvs now are coming with some kind of motion smoothing.

Personally, I use smooth on my online streaming and it looks alright. Any of the other presets though become distracting to me. I leave it off on Bluray.
post #150 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post

It's not a problem with the tv. The effect is just far more noticeable when moving slow. Watch it for a few days, all kinds of stuff, then turn it back off and you should see the difference. You can also go in and instead of using smooth, try adjusting it in 'manual mode'. You really didn't spend extra money though just for that feature, a lot if not most tvs now are coming with some kind of motion smoothing.

Personally, I use smooth on my online streaming and it looks alright. Any of the other presets though become distracting to me. I leave it off on Bluray.

 

I was worried that it might have been a problem with the display, so that is a relief. I am happy with it otherwise. :) Thanks for your reply. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxFH6030 Owners Thread