or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Crestron Module for Epson PowerLite 96W?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crestron Module for Epson PowerLite 96W?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I see the Crestron logo for integration on the projector (Epson PowerLite 96W), but yet I can't find anything in the Crestron database for it. This is all I see:


I'm hoping to control the projector via the RS-232 port on the back of the projector... Or is that Crestron logo only an indication of RoomView support for interfacing with an RMC? Just wondering because I haven't seen any RS-232 commands laying around, and there's nothing directly in the Crestron database from what I can see.

I have a QM-RMC, but it seems the RS-232 ports on it aren't working; bad device probably. I got my screen controlled the way I want it to be controlled, and I want to be able to tie the projector in with it, and perhaps the audio side as well.
Edited by AceInfinity - 8/6/13 at 6:10pm
post #2 of 19
Thread Starter 
Seems there might only be a few Crestron programmers out there (active on the forum), and perhaps I was unlucky enough to have had them all miss my thread? haha.
post #3 of 19
Have you tried searching and/or posting in the Crestron Yahoo group?
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Have you tried searching and/or posting in the Crestron Yahoo group?

No (perhaps embarrassingly), although maybe I should have done that too... I don't use Yahoo a lot, so I keep forgetting about that Yahoo group.

edit: Of course rolleyes.gif, now I have to re-join the group because my old account according to Yahoo is being recycled due to inactivity. Awaiting acceptance I believe...
Edited by AceInfinity - 8/8/13 at 3:40pm
post #5 of 19
use the Pro G5150NL + module. It has the same rs232 protocol. Use crossover cable, 9600 baud .... Open a debugger and send "PWR?\x0D" and see if you get feedback. Or to test your com ports, hook up your laptop via rs232 to comA. Open a hyperterminal at 9600 and send text to comA via Debugger and see if it shows on your hyperterminal. This will confirm if your ports are shot. If they are shot, you can always use IR port to send rs232 one way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceInfinity View Post

I see the Crestron logo for integration on the projector (Epson PowerLite 96W), but yet I can't find anything in the Crestron database for it. This is all I see:


I'm hoping to control the projector via the RS-232 port on the back of the projector... Or is that Crestron logo only an indication of RoomView support for interfacing with an RMC? Just wondering because I haven't seen any RS-232 commands laying around, and there's nothing directly in the Crestron database from what I can see.

I have a QM-RMC, but it seems the RS-232 ports on it aren't working; bad device probably. I got my screen controlled the way I want it to be controlled, and I want to be able to tie the projector in with it, and perhaps the audio side as well.

Edited by letMeIn - 8/9/13 at 11:45am
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks a bunch @letMeIn!! I'll test that over the weekend or possibly later on today and see what can be done. Appreciate the assistance. smile.gif That second bit is to confirm if my Com ports are okay on the QM-RMC? If they aren't though, do I still have to find a way to go through the RMC or can I control this projector without it?

The reason I thought the Com ports were not working is because I couldn't even connect to it through Toolbox via the programming Com port. It must (or may not), be responding back to identify itself during a connect attempt.

edit: Btw, not to derail my original thread too far, but how do you enjoy AMX? That's something I've been curious about for a while now after hearing another Crestron programmer throw that into a conversation... Programming-wise especially, how is it? (I seen your signature, sorry.)

edit: I got the projector working with the module you suggested smile.gif So far I only tried to power the projector on, but it was successful... I just have to work on a GUI project now. Time to get good old Photoshop open.
Edited by AceInfinity - 8/10/13 at 2:57pm
post #7 of 19
when I started in AV world, it was easier for me to pick up AMX (coming from C++) than Crestron. But the more I started to work with Crestron the easier it became. I work in Commercial environment, and we mostly do Crestron, but from time to time we do AMX as well, just not as much.

I like AMX, just hate using their Modules. Infact I never use them ( I write my own ), just when I have to troubleshoot someone elses program, and they used AMX modules its a pain in my neck. Out of the 2, I would have to choose Crestron than AMX.
Edited by letMeIn - 8/11/13 at 8:48am
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by letMeIn View Post

when I started in AV world, it was easier for me to pick up AMX (coming from C++) than Crestron. But the more I started to work with Crestron the easier it became. I work in Commercial environment, and we mostly do Crestron, but from time to time we do AMX as well, just not as much.

I like AMX, just hate using their Modules. Infact I never use them ( I write my own ), just when I have to troubleshoot someone elses program, and they used AMX modules its a pain in my neck. Out of the 2, I would have to choose Crestron than AMX.

I'd like to do more Crestron commercially... I've only done maybe 4 projects total with Crestron on the commercial side. Only 1 of them was a really big project. I've only been in the AV world for about 2 years now though. Interesting though...

I got my projector controlled via RS-232 with that module, it should be smooth sailing from here on. Just need to make a GUI and combine actions for various parts of the system I've tested. (Screen, projector, audio, lighting, etc.) Thanks for the help smile.gif.
post #9 of 19
hehe just wait til you get 6 way divisible rooms with ability to broadcast anything to any room, commercial world sure is interesting smile.gif You get to work high up on the 45th Floor right above the Central Park in NYC, as well as 1 floor below ground, where students dissect human bodies, and everything in between smile.gif
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by letMeIn View Post

hehe just wait til you get 6 way divisible rooms with ability to broadcast anything to any room, commercial world sure is interesting smile.gif You get to work high up on the 45th Floor right above the Central Park in NYC, as well as 1 floor below ground, where students dissect human bodies, and everything in between smile.gif

You are very lucky. I've been trying pretty hard to get back into Crestron commercially for the majority of my work. It's too hard to sell in the residential side... Needless to say I've worked with lots of RTI, and a little of the cheap Control4 in these places. I worked on the Bow Tower in Calgary last year, which was 56 floors full of lighting control, digital signage, projectors, smartboards, SMART TV's, conferencing, etc (Crestron). That was still the biggest project I've worked on to date. It was all Touchpanel control for the most part. Polycom, Cisco, Adagio, Extron, Biamp, DM, etc... I nearly worked with it all on this one project. The only thing they didn't do there to my knowledge was shading control. Which is weird because the entire building exterior is glass for the most part. I have my CSS-D, but that's as far as I went in that direction yet.

Curious (sorry to bombard you with questions, I like to seek knowledge from those possibly more experienced than myself smile.gif)... Have you tested the new Crestron Mobile (Pro/Non-Pro) app yet? Lots of customers seem to want to migrate away from an expensive touchpanel and go with something like an IPad, or IPhone for control. I work (personally) with some of the older Crestron equipment, but I have zero experience in the IOS world still. (Even though I've been meaning to get into Obj-C for my own apps.) I still haven't seen anything otherwise custom for a mobile app that integrates with Crestron. I heard it was a pain in the rear though to get set up, from discussions online.

The reason I'm asking is because aside from the Touchpanel I have in my house that I've programmed to control the receiver, projector, and screen, I would also like to see if I can get control through my IPad or IPhone. It would be a great system to showoff Crestron for me, plus I think it would be key to selling Crestron to more customers.

I should be posting a new thread almost, but It'll probably be answered by the same people I've seen in this thread anyways lol. biggrin.gif

Cheers!
post #11 of 19
there are 2 apps for Crestron, Pro costs $99, standard is free. WHats the difference, not sure never paid much attention to Ipad since I installed just 1 for Crestron. If you go to crestron website, or search it on google, you will probably find limitations of the free app.

As for implementing, Ive done this back in 2012. If I remember correctly, its not that difficult. If you get around it to install the Ipad, shoot me a pm.. I will look up the program from that project, and will tell you what Ive done to make it work.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by letMeIn View Post

there are 2 apps for Crestron, Pro costs $99, standard is free. WHats the difference, not sure never paid much attention to Ipad since I installed just 1 for Crestron. If you go to crestron website, or search it on google, you will probably find limitations of the free app.

As for implementing, Ive done this back in 2012. If I remember correctly, its not that difficult. If you get around it to install the Ipad, shoot me a pm.. I will look up the program from that project, and will tell you what Ive done to make it work.

I'll see later on how far I can get... Maybe I'll fool around with the free version as a test just to get familiar with IOS based control for my system, and go forward from there. If I get stuck I'll surely send you a PM (If I don't forget haha). Thanks
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by letMeIn View Post

there are 2 apps for Crestron, Pro costs $99, standard is free. WHats the difference, not sure never paid much attention to Ipad since I installed just 1 for Crestron. If you go to crestron website, or search it on google, you will probably find limitations of the free app.

As for implementing, Ive done this back in 2012. If I remember correctly, its not that difficult. If you get around it to install the Ipad, shoot me a pm.. I will look up the program from that project, and will tell you what Ive done to make it work.

The free version limits your project pages to 9.
post #14 of 19
what about subpages ??? If subpages are unlimited than it should be enough, no point spending $99
post #15 of 19
Its 9 total including subpages. If you make creative use of those pages, you should be able to do a small to med residential job. Commercial would be pretty difficult to get it done.
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
@ letMeIn - If you're still around these forums, do you happen to know what the analog out for the "Lamp Hours" represents? Is it a percentage of remaining/used lamp hours, or? Right now, from the analog out to a UI component on my touchpanel paired off with the proper analog join, I get a value of "0.8" on the touchpanel when it's polling data from my projector. Just curious to know what this value meant, or if it's junk and I need to do something module specific with this analog value to make it a more "readable/proper" value. I've done the same with the analog outs and digital join presses for my brightness and contrast control which seems to be working accurately to the 'T' from my testing...

I'm pretty sure this thing has seen more than 0.8 hours of running time though, so it's starting to become a mysterious value to me.
post #17 of 19
it should tell you the # of hours used. You supposed to tie in output to Digital Guage. I looked at the simple++ module and it simply outputs # of hours that is received from the PJ.

If you have toolbox, just open a debugger, set signal watch to the projectors RX/TX. Send following command LAMP?\x0D. In return you should get LAMP=XXX , where XXX is # of hours used. The crestron module basically converts "LAMP=XXX\x0D" feedback from atoi, and sends integer value of XXX as an analog output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceInfinity View Post

@ letMeIn - If you're still around these forums, do you happen to know what the analog out for the "Lamp Hours" represents? Is it a percentage of remaining/used lamp hours, or? Right now, from the analog out to a UI component on my touchpanel paired off with the proper analog join, I get a value of "0.8" on the touchpanel when it's polling data from my projector. Just curious to know what this value meant, or if it's junk and I need to do something module specific with this analog value to make it a more "readable/proper" value. I've done the same with the analog outs and digital join presses for my brightness and contrast control which seems to be working accurately to the 'T' from my testing...

I'm pretty sure this thing has seen more than 0.8 hours of running time though, so it's starting to become a mysterious value to me.
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by letMeIn View Post

it should tell you the # of hours used. You supposed to tie in output to Digital Guage. I looked at the simple++ module and it simply outputs # of hours that is received from the PJ.

If you have toolbox, just open a debugger, set signal watch to the projectors RX/TX. Send following command LAMP?\x0D. In return you should get LAMP=XXX , where XXX is # of hours used. The crestron module basically converts "LAMP=XXX\x0D" feedback from atoi, and sends integer value of XXX as an analog output.

Hmm, I've not used the debugger much, but it appears I'm getting back a value of 108 hours.
Code:
LAMP=108\x0D

I may not be using the correct control, I'll give it a few other tests for now, but I think the control I'm using is more for floating point return values. I forget how you look at the SIMPL+ module for things in the Crestron database... But once again, you've been a big help.

Thankyou!
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
108 was definitely the right measurement for # of hours on the lamp. It is now 109... I was using the correct UI component, I just had it configured incorrectly with the decimal places... Everything is in working order now. smile.gif

I set it to an unsigned int which reserves 4 digits (XXXX) in VTPro-e. That'll give me plenty of time for warning when I'm getting close to the thousands mark.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Automation
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Crestron Module for Epson PowerLite 96W?