or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › 6450 Vs 610
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6450 Vs 610

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I need a $40 or under card for an inexpensive build.

Looking around it looks like Radeon HD 5/6450 and GT 610 cards are it.

Just basic HD decoding/playback is needed.

Mr Zoid
post #2 of 8
6450 is as cheap as $25 somtimes.

For you budget you can get into 6570 almost. Quite a bit more powerful.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150613

If you really only need simple playback I would get this:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121439
post #3 of 8
I got this HD6450 for $15 on sale & after rebate. Every once in a while it goes on sale.
It does have a small fan which may be a concern for some folks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127584
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I got this HD6450 for $15 on sale & after rebate.
+1
I have the same. If you can find it for $15, it's hard to beat for HTPC purposes. But if you don't mind spending $30, that ASUS version Mfusick posted would be ideal since it's fanless.

One word of warning though. The latest drivers caused me all kinds of problems (mostly around sleep/wake), but the ones from last August (v. 12.8 I think) work perfectly. So if you have any trouble, try the older drivers.
post #5 of 8

I've stuck with the ATi given beginning w/HD5450 they handle HD audio and nVidia may need a SPDIF cable to send audio.  I just like the cleaner ATi solution.  Also, the cheap HDx450 series use like 21 Watts. 

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

I need a $40 or under card for an inexpensive build.

Looking around it looks like Radeon HD 5/6450 and GT 610 cards are it.

Just basic HD decoding/playback is needed.

Mr Zoid
'

Keep in mind the Nvida 0-255 hack ... AMD supports both 16-235 and 0-255 native via HDMI. It's a check box selection biggrin.gif
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

+1
I have the same. If you can find it for $15, it's hard to beat for HTPC purposes. But if you don't mind spending $30, that ASUS version Mfusick posted would be ideal since it's fanless.

One word of warning though. The latest drivers caused me all kinds of problems (mostly around sleep/wake), but the ones from last August (v. 12.8 I think) work perfectly. So if you have any trouble, try the older drivers.

I'm using version 8.982.0.0, which is what I updated to back in Sept 2012 when I installed the card. It's working for me so I'm reluctant to update again.
post #8 of 8
I use an Sapphire HD 6450 1 GB ddr3 with HDMI fanless. no issues upscales DVD better than most BD players except the PS3 ofc they are about equal there .

I downloaded the latest catalyst drivers and software from AMD rather than use the CD or Sapphire download works good no driver or install issues .
My PC never sleeps or hibernates though it is either on or off usually on 24/7 .
It includes a low profile bracket if you should need one . Game Debate .com seems to think the Sapphire card is the best of the HD 6450 cards no complaints here.

Big improvement over the on board video.lightened up the load on ram and CPU also . You can run up to 3 independent screens from it also I have mine on a 32" HDTV 1080p HDMI connection and a 24" PC monitor1680x1050 VGA .runs them both simultaneously no sweat. Netflix HD looks very good on it as well. The PS3 is on the big plasma ofc.


Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3 HDMI/DVI-D/VGA PCI-Express Graphics Card 100322L $24.99 after $10.00 rebate card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

Not a game card but great for HTPC it will however play COD fine.
Edited by tubetwister - 8/26/13 at 3:49am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › 6450 Vs 610