or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › $6k Projector Budget, Need Adivce
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$6k Projector Budget, Need Adivce

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

I am building a theatre room and am in the search for a projector. I would like to go with a 120" screen (seating will be ~10') and I can mount the projector up to 15' away from the screen (ceiling mount). The room will have excellent light control (one window which will have shutters and a curtain) and I will be painting the ceiling black.

The primary use for the projector will be watching sports 50%, gaming 30% and movies 20%; importance in that order. 3D performance is not a deal breaker, although I will watch some 3D movies. I was nearly sold on the JVC X55-R until I found out its input lag was ~70ms, I am not pro gamer but that is a pretty significant amount of lag.

So then I began looking at the Sony VW-95es which has a game mode with low lag, but according to projector central shouldn't be used with screen sizes greater than 100" due to its low brightness. Which brought me to my current front runner which is the Sony HW-50es which will give me my desired screen size and input lag at the expense of black levels and motorized lens.

Do you think I could get away with a 110" Stewart FireHawk G3 with the VW-95es?

Any other contenders I am missing?

I greatly appreciate your input,

Tony
post #2 of 21
the HW50 has good blacks, I'm sure you won't be lacking there. Maybe wait and see if the new HW55?? has motorized focus and lens shift.
post #3 of 21
How big a rush are you in? There is preliminary info that next month Sony is announcing a new VPL-HW55ES that replaces the current HW50ES, but will be based on the same chassis as the current VW95ES. In fact the HW55ES may effectively replace both the HW50ES and the VW95ES, but be priced around $4K, as is the current HW50ES. The HW50ES has rather good light output (better than the VW95ES especially in 3D mode) and the new HW55ES will probably also have good light output. No official details nor pricing are expected until next month at the IFA show in Berlin, Germany (European version and prices) then a couple of weeks later at the CEDIA show in Denver (US pricing announced there). Sony may very well also introduce are more expensive 1080p model (if they decide to replace the VW95ES with another 1080p model in the $7K MSRP price range) and they are expected to announce a new 4K UHD projector in the $12K price range (but only speculation at this point). JVC will also be announcing their new models next month at these same shows.
Edited by Ron Jones - 8/11/13 at 4:34pm
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
I was hoping to have a projector in time for the start of the regular football season, but I think you are right. At this point it is probably best to wait until the new projectors are announced if not for the added features for the discounts that would be had on the older model projectors.
post #5 of 21
I would just wait. In 2 months new stuff will be out.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

I would just wait. In 2 months new stuff will be out.

Ahh...the classic conundrum with electronics. To wait or not to wait? tongue.gif
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

I would just wait. In 2 months new stuff will be out.


In two months, the new stuff will be "announced". You will be lucky to actually get it in perhaps January unless you have a theoretical deposit down now.


John
post #8 of 21
Would you do a dual projector setup?
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

In two months, the new stuff will be "announced". You will be lucky to actually get it in perhaps January unless you have a theoretical deposit down now.


John

Even so, I'm not in hurry. cool.gif
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

How big a rush are you in? There is preliminary info that next month Sony is announcing a new VPL-HW55ES that replaces the current HW50ES, but will be based on the same chassis as the current VW95ES. In fact the HW55ES may effectively replace both the HW50ES and the VW95ES, but be priced around $4K, as is the current HW50ES. The HW50ES has rather good light output (better than the VW95ES especially in 3D mode) and the new HW55ES will probably also have good light output. No official details nor pricing are expected until next month at the IFA show in Berlin, Germany (European version and prices) then a couple of weeks later at the CEDIA show in Denver (US pricing announced there). Sony may very well also introduce are more expensive 1080p model (if they decide to replace the VW95ES with another 1080p model in the $7K MSRP price range) and they are expected to announce a new 4K UHD projector in the $12K price range (but only speculation at this point). JVC will also be announcing their new models next month at these same shows.

You think it will be priced at 4K MSRP? If so that leaves a huge gap in their line up, since the next model is supposed to be the VW100ES at around 11K. My guess is a reduced HW50ES, by stripping it of the extras, same as they did with the 30. HW55ES taking a spot between 50ES and 95ES. Then VW100ES and top of the heap, VW1000ES. We will find out soon.
Reply
Reply
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You think it will be priced at 4K MSRP? If so that leaves a huge gap in their line up, since the next model is supposed to be the VW100ES at around 11K. My guess is a reduced HW50ES, by stripping it of the extras, same as they did with the 30. HW55ES taking a spot between 50ES and 95ES. Then VW100ES and top of the heap, VW1000ES. We will find out soon.

I did say "Sony may very well also introduce are more expensive 1080p model (if they decide to replace the VW95ES with another 1080p model in the $7K MSRP price range)". They cannot get the price for a flagship 1080p model too close to what will charged for a new entry-level 4K UHD projector, so if there really is going to a ~ $12K UHD model then it would seem to me any flagship 1080p model (VW95 replacement) will be under $8K. You are certainly correct that there will be room between a $4K projector (HW55 ?) and any new 4K UHD model. At least the rumors/speculation for the HW55 seem to have some real basis, but I haven't seen anything equivalent for a VW95 replacement.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I did say "Sony may very well also introduce are more expensive 1080p model (if they decide to replace the VW95ES with another 1080p model in the $7K MSRP price range)". They cannot get the price for a flagship 1080p model too close to what will charged for a new entry-level 4K UHD projector, so if there really is going to a ~ $12K UHD model then it would seem to me any flagship 1080p model (VW95 replacement) will be under $8K. You are certainly correct that there will be room between a $4K projector (HW55 ?) and any new 4K UHD model. At least the rumors/speculation for the HW55 seem to have some real basis, but I haven't seen anything equivalent for a VW95 replacement.

I have not either, that is why I question the price of the HW55. If it turns out to be a brighter VW95 with reality creation, I would just be surprised if it sold at HW50 price point.
Reply
Reply
post #13 of 21
How about a decent $3k-$4k PJ and purchase an anamorphic lens? Random thought..no real substance.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

How about a decent $3k-$4k PJ and purchase an anamorphic lens? Random thought..no real substance.

Well, good anamorphic lens costs US$ 4600.

If you want motorized (Cinelens), you'll need to add US$ 2400.

Total: US$ 7K... plus the projector. rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

Well, good anamorphic lens costs US$ 4600.

If you want motorized (Cinelens), you'll need to add US$ 2400.

Total: US$ 7K... plus the projector. rolleyes.gif

Unless he gets a very sharp single chip DLP he could easily get away with a Panamorph lens which is much cheaper. A member who lives about 20 minutes from me has a Runco LS-5 paired with a Panamorh UH480 and their powered lens sled on a 133" diagonal 2.35:1 SMX CineWeave HD screen and the results were fantastic. I was expecting the image to look a tad softer ( I own a Planar PD8150 which is the same projector and have paired it with a Schneider 1.33x lens and sled) but was surprised to see how much of the native sharpness got through the Panamorph.
post #16 of 21
How important is 3D capability for you ?
I would definitely look around for deals on LED projectors such as the Vivitek, Digital Projection and Runco "clones" which were release a few year ago and are more than capable of lighting up a 110" diagonal screen with a gain of 1.3; I know of an owner that uses the Runco Q-750i with a screen measuring 120" diagonal and he claims he gets about 13 ft-L measured onscreen brightness; On my small 76" diagonal high-gain screen my Q-750D was so bright after calibration that i had to keep contrast control below zero, at -10 (range between -50 to +50), otherwise whites would "bloom" onscreen.
After calibration for a Q-750i projector Home Theater magazine measured onscreen brightness on a 92" wide 1.3 gain screen at 15 ft-L, black level at 0.002 ft-L, thus contrast at 7.500:1...
Marcos
post #17 of 21
^^ I have one of those "clones" up for sale in the classified section if you're interested. smile.gif
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

the HW50 has good blacks, I'm sure you won't be lacking there. Maybe wait and see if the new HW55?? has motorized focus and lens shift.

With 80% of his viewing being sports and gaming, I would go with a 16:9 screen. Means the lens memory of the 55 probably would not be used, unless he wants to lens shift the image down and mask at top.
Reply
Reply
post #19 of 21
Seegs108 >>> Where exactly in the classified area for "display devices" did you post your "clone" for sale ?
Out of curiosity i checked under "LED projectors", "Vivitek" and "Nuvision" (isn't that your projector ?) and i could not find your listing. You might want to check on it.
There is another AVS member who listed a barely used Digital Projection M-Vision LED projector for $4.000.00 or best offer, which is a steal if proven correct and reliable.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Seegs108 >>> Where exactly in the classified area for "display devices" did you post your "clone" for sale ?
Out of curiosity i checked under "LED projectors", "Vivitek" and "Nuvision" (isn't that your projector ?) and i could not find your listing. You might want to check on it.
There is another AVS member who listed a barely used Digital Projection M-Vision LED projector for $4.000.00 or best offer, which is a steal if proven correct and reliable.

It's under the Front Projector subforum of the Display Devices. I'll list it in both sections so it's easier to find. It's also in my signature.
post #21 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thank you all for your replies and sorry for my tardiness in responding to this thread, work has been killing me.

It seems like the opinion has been split between waiting for the new set of projectors or finding a solution that is currently available. How does it work in the projector world? Say a projector is announced tomorrow how long before you usually can have one in your hands? From what I have read here it sounds like it will take a while.

I am not interested in anamorphic lenses or multiple projector set-ups and would like to stay away from the clones.

So from the posts I have read here it seems like I have two options:

1) Wait for that new projectors
2) Get either the Sony HW50es or the Sony VW95-es

Are there any projectors in the price range new or used that I should be considering (besides the JVC which I discounted for their input lag)? Is the Sony VW95-es worth the premium over the HW50es? If I did get a Sony VW95-es what would be the maximum screen size you would use if it were your home theatre (keep in mind that I have 15' distance from projector to the screen and I planned on purchasing a FireHawk G3). Not to diverge into a screen discussion here as well, but is the Stewart FireHawk G3 worth the premium?

Thanks again, your input is sincerely appreciated smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › $6k Projector Budget, Need Adivce