or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › purchasing Switches
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

purchasing Switches

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
Hello,

i am planning to buy a 1 Gbps Switch to my HTPC where i will be connecting my my router to Switch and HTPC machine, Vonage phone, PS3, Smart TV to Switch.
I have a question before purchasing switch.
if i planned to buy the below switch it shows as Eight 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit ports and 16 Gbps switching fabric

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127508


does this mean, it can transfer 16 GB Speed across my internal network ?

say for example if i connect my HTPC ( which has 1 Gbps network card) and 3 laptops ( 1 Gbps Network Card) to switch, if i copy the files between all the 4 systems will i get 4 Gbps Speed without any latency issues ?


can some one please suggest me good 1 Gbps Switches so that i can purchase them

Thanks
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku2012 View Post

Hello,

i am planning to buy a 1 Gbps Switch to my HTPC where i will be connecting my my router to Switch and HTPC machine, Vonage phone, PS3, Smart TV to Switch.
I have a question before purchasing switch.
if i planned to buy the below switch it shows as Eight 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit ports and 16 Gbps switching fabric

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127508


does this mean, it can transfer 16 GB Speed across my internal network ?

say for example if i connect my HTPC ( which has 1 Gbps network card) and 3 laptops ( 1 Gbps Network Card) to switch, if i copy the files between all the 4 systems will i get 4 Gbps Speed without any latency issues ?


can some one please suggest me good 1 Gbps Switches so that i can purchase them

Thanks

It is 16Gb, not 16GB, but yes - an 8 port gigabit switch with a 16Gbps fabric will be able to fully saturate 8 1gbps ports in both directions
post #3 of 34
At that price point, I'd go with the Trendnet TEG-S82g. I've had D-Links with loose power sockets, which coupled with the socket being on the "wrong" side for a desktop switch, has caused them to become unplugged.
post #4 of 34
I like DLink switches and have been using them since ~2006 (8 port variety).
I have around 6 8 port switches between various rooms.
When I do it all over again (planning on moving into house soon) I will likely consolidate to 16-24 port switches, but need to find quiet ones.

The DLink switches like shown are nice because you can stack 2-3 on top of each other, unlike some of the "pretty" consumer oriented versions which have oddly shaped top covers which do not stack at all!
post #5 of 34
I'm not a fan of DLink gear as I've had a number of failures. My network at home currently uses Dell and Netgear enterprise switches, but I'm downsizing as don't need all the ports (and they suck power and the Dell is noisy) to HP 1410-8G and 1810-8G. You'd only need the unmanaged 1410. It's a bit more money, but I've never had an HP switch give problems.
post #6 of 34
I am now going with Trendnet Switches on my LAN. I still use a Netgear GS108 for my two U-Verse Set Top boxes, and the DVR, since I had to get a POE switch, due to adding in a POE IP Camera soon, to cover a front corner of my house. I like the Trendnet gear better, due to price point is low enough not to break the bank, but the gear is good that it is not junk.

DLink consumer grade I would not touch, but their higher end SoHo stuff is worthwhile, but it really comes down to how deep your pockets are, and how much are you willing to invest in your LAN infrastructure all together.
post #7 of 34
Stay away from dlink. Look at the hp procurve. They can be affordable and good.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

I am now going with Trendnet Switches on my LAN. I still use a Netgear GS108 for my two U-Verse Set Top boxes, and the DVR, since I had to get a POE switch, due to adding in a POE IP Camera soon, to cover a front corner of my house. I like the Trendnet gear better, due to price point is low enough not to break the bank, but the gear is good that it is not junk.

DLink consumer grade I would not touch, but their higher end SoHo stuff is worthwhile, but it really comes down to how deep your pockets are, and how much are you willing to invest in your LAN infrastructure all together.

I have several Trendnet switches, including a wireless bridge. IMHO, they make a quality product at decent price.

Do you have Uverse for internet? Does their gateway modem/router still only have 10/100 LAN ports?
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I have several Trendnet switches, including a wireless bridge. IMHO, they make a quality product at decent price.

Do you have Uverse for internet? Does their gateway modem/router still only have 10/100 LAN ports?
Only the ADSL2+ Gateway that they are now issuing from Pace has the Wireless-N wifi, and 10/100/1000 ports. Personally I would still use third party hardware, not the RG, since you have more flexibility, and really with the speed only being 24meg max down, there is no need for them to issue gateways with anything more at 10/100 or Wireless-g, which keeps the costs down for not only leasing the equipment by the consumer, but when they purchase it from Pace or Motorola.

I think that within the next five years, when h.265 and 4k UltraHD starts rolling out, probably will see ATT offering equipment upgrades. They tried sending me a 3801, due to a bad firmware rollout a couple of months ago. did some research and found out that for the overall spec's, the 3800 is still better than the 3801.
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by elec999 View Post

Stay away from dlink. Look at the hp procurve. They can be affordable and good.
The HP Procurve is a little overkill for the every day common LAN, unless you are looking at doing some special LAN setup, or setting up a lab on your LAN.
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I have several Trendnet switches, including a wireless bridge. IMHO, they make a quality product at decent price.

Do you have Uverse for internet? Does their gateway modem/router still only have 10/100 LAN ports?

Another brand to look at is TP-Link. I bought their 24 port Gb managed switch not long back for less than $200.00. Zero issues so far, transfers are at line speed to and from my file server. LACP is available if you need it.
post #12 of 34
+1 for TP-Link. I've used the 24 and 16 port Gigabit switches and they both work very well. Mine were both under $100. They often go on sale. I've done well with Trendnet too.
post #13 of 34
I often hit eBay for used Dell PowerConnect switches. You can often find used ones in very good condition for less than a new unmanage SOHO switch. I have a 5324 in my basement that works perfectly.

You're not limited to Dell, of course. Companies dump all brands on eBay all the time, so you can find just about anything.
post #14 of 34
I have 4 Netgear GS108's for home and office uses. Two failed due to leaky/bulging capacitors. I had to replace all 5 capacitors (two 1000uF and three 330uF, all are electrolytic) over time. I fully expect the other two GS108's to fail over time as some capacitors already show signs of bulging. They are all 2008-2008 vintage models.

I hope Netgear addressed the capacitor problem in newer models. Even though they carry a lifetime warranty you have to pay for shipping to send the bad unit to them. So figure this into your total cost of ownership if you are considering purchasing a Netgear.
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku2012 View Post

can some one please suggest me good 1 Gbps Switches so that i can purchase them

Monoprice 8 Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Switch
I have 2 PCs, 3 Media Center extenders, 2 Roku streamers, a network printer, and a HDHR Prime running on two of those switches without any issues.
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by elec999 View Post

Stay away from dlink. Look at the hp procurve. They can be affordable and good.

I second staying away from anything made by D-link. However, I disagree that a home user needs to spend the kind of money on ProCurve.

TrenNet 8 port green gigabit switch will serve the same purpose at half the price, and half the electric use.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

The DLink switches like shown are nice because you can stack 2-3 on top of each other, unlike some of the "pretty" consumer oriented versions which have oddly shaped top covers which do not stack at all!


If you are stacking them on top of each other, then you need a higher port count switch because your connection between the devices on different switches will be limited to the bandwidth of the single wire that connects the switches together.

If you need 3x 8-port ones, just get a 24 port switch. It will be cheaper, and you will gain 2 additional ports since you won't needto uplink 3 switches together.
post #18 of 34
could someone recommend a 12 port 10/100/1000 switch for home use, somewhat reliable and streaming capable for Netflix or amazon for $100 or below, not streaming bd rip's at the moment but may in the future.

2 pc's and 1 server
2 roku xs
1 print
hdtv
bd player
av receiver
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

could someone recommend a 12 port 10/100/1000 switch for home use, somewhat reliable and streaming capable for Netflix or amazon for $100 or below, not streaming bd rip's at the moment but may in the future.

2 pc's and 1 server
2 roku xs
1 print
hdtv
bd player
av receiver

I have this switch and I am very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1016-1000Mbps-Rackmountable-Capacity/dp/B002HAJQGA ($70 @ Amazon)

I have several PCs, a couple of network tuners, a printer/scanner and a server hanging off it.

These often go on sale so keep an eye on Slickdeals.net

[Edit]Actually, this is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1016D-1000Mbps-Rackmountable-Capacity/dp/B004ELA0SS ($85 @ Amazon). The first one above doesn't have the "D" in model number. I don't what the difference is.
Edited by StardogChampion - 8/14/13 at 7:05am
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

could someone recommend a 12 port 10/100/1000 switch for home use, somewhat reliable and streaming capable for Netflix or amazon for $100 or below, not streaming bd rip's at the moment but may in the future.

2 pc's and 1 server
2 roku xs
1 print
hdtv
bd player
av receiver

I can't say I ever seen a 12 port one, but 16 port ones are pretty common. Trendnet is what we use.
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I have this switch and I am very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1016-1000Mbps-Rackmountable-Capacity/dp/B002HAJQGA ($70 @ Amazon)

I have several PCs, a couple of network tuners, a printer/scanner and a server hanging off it.

These often go on sale so keep an eye on Slickdeals.net

[Edit]Actually, this is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1016D-1000Mbps-Rackmountable-Capacity/dp/B004ELA0SS ($85 @ Amazon). The first one above doesn't have the "D" in model number. I don't what the difference is.

For a little more the 24 port version is available as well.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

could someone recommend a 12 port 10/100/1000 switch for home use, somewhat reliable and streaming capable for Netflix or amazon for $100 or below, not streaming bd rip's at the moment but may in the future.

2 pc's and 1 server
2 roku xs
1 print
hdtv
bd player
av receiver
HP 1410-16G
I had a quick look on Amazon and it was $144, but as I can get them in Australia for <$100, you should be able to as well. Comes with a lifetime warranty too.
post #23 of 34
I have several Trendnet's ... a pair of TEG-S80g (bought onsale at $20 each) as well as a TEG-S50g and a gigabit wireless router. I see no reason to pay more than $30 for an 8 port unmanaged gigabit switch! (Amazon has the TEG-S80g for $30 with prime right now)
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

could someone recommend a 12 port 10/100/1000 switch for home use, somewhat reliable and streaming capable for Netflix or amazon for $100 or below, not streaming bd rip's at the moment but may in the future.

2 pc's and 1 server
2 roku xs
1 print
hdtv
bd player
av receiver

and a hd homerun = 10 ports, plus 2 more I could use on the p8cws mobo's would = 12 ports total.

the hp procruve is what ive seen a lot of ref to and spoke highly of, but haven't seen at 100 or less, I shopped around this eve and cant find such a deal, the 8 port trend net is what I am using now and works fine, with incoming hardware and expandability needed shortly is why I asked and was looking for more ports, 16 ports would be good for now but 24 @ justified cost is still within reach, gona have to mount mid house and would like to avoid a noisy unit if possible, maybe watch for a deal on a good 16/24 port switch I could make use of for years to come.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku2012 View Post

does this mean, it can transfer 16 GB Speed across my internal network ?

say for example if i connect my HTPC ( which has 1 Gbps network card) and 3 laptops ( 1 Gbps Network Card) to switch, if i copy the files between all the 4 systems will i get 4 Gbps Speed without any latency issues ?
While technically important, saying it has a 16 gigabit switching fabric is marketing fluff to make the switch sound more impressive then what it really is. I can't remember the last time that I saw a residential, soho, or even medium sized switch that didn't support a switching fabric equal to the maximum speed of all ports in both directions.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

and a hd homerun = 10 ports, plus 2 more I could use on the p8cws mobo's would = 12 ports total.

the hp procruve is what ive seen a lot of ref to and spoke highly of, but haven't seen at 100 or less, I shopped around this eve and cant find such a deal, the 8 port trend net is what I am using now and works fine, with incoming hardware and expandability needed shortly is why I asked and was looking for more ports, 16 ports would be good for now but 24 @ justified cost is still within reach, gona have to mount mid house and would like to avoid a noisy unit if possible, maybe watch for a deal on a good 16/24 port switch I could make use of for years to come.

You can get the Trendnet TEG-S24Dg for $94, or TEG-S24 for $130
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=trendnet%2024%20port%20gigabit%20switch&sprefix=trendnet+24+port%2Caps%2C190&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atrendnet%2024%20port%20gigabit%20switch

The TEG-240WS will set you back around $200 http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Auto-Negotiation-Auto-MDIX-Mini-GBIC-TEG-240WS/dp/B0001LS36Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&srs=2530657011&ie=UTF8&qid=1376572594&sr=1-7&keywords=trendnet+24+port+gigabit+switch

Right now is the time to start grabbing up hardware, before prices go up, just as RAM has already inflated, starting about four months ago.
post #27 of 34
I picked up a used Dell PowerConnect 24-port gigabit switch on ebay for about $100 or so. There's a ton of quality used ethernet switches on ebay for a fraction of what you'd pay for new equipment.
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

You can get the Trendnet TEG-S24Dg for $94, or TEG-S24 for $130
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=trendnet%2024%20port%20gigabit%20switch&sprefix=trendnet+24+port%2Caps%2C190&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atrendnet%2024%20port%20gigabit%20switch

The TEG-240WS will set you back around $200 http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Auto-Negotiation-Auto-MDIX-Mini-GBIC-TEG-240WS/dp/B0001LS36Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&srs=2530657011&ie=UTF8&qid=1376572594&sr=1-7&keywords=trendnet+24+port+gigabit+switch

Right now is the time to start grabbing up hardware, before prices go up, just as RAM has already inflated, starting about four months ago.

If one waits for newegg sales, one can easily grab TEG-S24Dg for $60 or so. Very cost effective switch.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I picked up a used Dell PowerConnect 24-port gigabit switch on ebay for about $100 or so. There's a ton of quality used ethernet switches on ebay for a fraction of what you'd pay for new equipment.

Do you use the management features of it?
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Do you use the management features of it?
LOL. No, I'd be afraid to screw it up. I have the manual but have't taken the time to understand how to use it as a managed switch. It seems to work perfectly fine in an unmanaged state so, if it ain't broke...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › purchasing Switches