or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Sub advice: my trusty Velodyne HGS-18 died
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sub advice: my trusty Velodyne HGS-18 died - Page 3

post #61 of 88
What, no mention of the Submersive in this thread biggrin.gif

At $2K, I'd probably go with dual subs. HSU, Rythmik, PSA, or SVS will all fit the bill nicely.

As for how they compare, here's how it generally sums up for me:

If you want excellent build quality, excellent sound quality, and very good output at all frequencies, SVS is your best bet.
If you want gobs of output, very good build quality, and very good sound quality, PSA is your best bet.
If you want something in between that has more output than SVS and better sound quality than PSA, HSU is your best bet.

This is a gross generalization of course, but I find it's true more often than not.
Edited by rnatalli - 8/13/13 at 1:50pm
post #62 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

What, no mention of the Submersive in this thread biggrin.gif.

I would have, but the Funk 18.0, a normally much more expensive subwoofer is the same price as the Submersive at the moment. Now is a great time to grab one.
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

By control I mean the fidelity to the signal. There isn't a single metric that I know of which can gauge this, but there are many which reflect it, like the ones you named. In some of these metrics, the XV15 does not fare terrifically well, which isn't a crime given the low price, but you seem to pretend that your product has no faults, which is plainly not that case.

Where are theses metrics posted showing the XV15 does not fair well? According to data-bass the xv15 looks to fair pretty well in impulse response, group delay, decay, and thd when compared to some similar priced models.

It looks like imo the amp dsp purposely pulls down the lower frequencies at max burst to extract more spl from the sub. So at max output there is a hump in the mid bass which would create more of a slam factor. being you prefer mid bass slam I am not sure why you bag on this so much? I would prefer a sub to lose some bottom end in order to keep getting louder opposed to a limiter kicking in. As I already mentioned bow often do you run your sub on the ragged edge? Most will go to multiple subs to free up headroom anyway.
Edited by basshead81 - 8/13/13 at 2:31pm
post #64 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussboy View Post

How would you compare the XS30 versus the SVS SB13-Ultra in my room?

Glad you asked;). I have the SVS SB13-Ultra and many of the folks here know what I think about it via my user reviews on Amazon and on the SVS website. I use it only for music reproduction in my stereo setup, although I was very impressed with its LFE capability.

I also own the XS30 (yep, it's pretty darn big) and will be using this for LFE movie content only. I haven't owned the XS30 long enough (about a week) or tested it thoroughly enough to make a blanket opinion, but I will say the following: As of today, I prefer the Ultra in music reproduction in general (on some music, significantly so, and my room is over double your room's size volume-wise). However, I prefer the XS30 in LFE reproduction. The XS30 (in another room that is double your room's size volume-wise) is an absolute brute of a subwoofer that readily outperformed the Hsu ULS-15 (that I liked very much until I began having bottoming out problems and returned it). And as much as I love the Ultra, right now I give an easy nod to the XS30 for movies.

I haven't auditioned the Rythmik, although everything I've read about their subwoofers are extremely positive. Their ported design had high praises in one of the subwoofer shootouts.

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions made here. Just pick one and test it out. SVS has free shipping both ways and the PSA free shipping to your home. The Rythmic, AFAIK, you'll pay shipping both ways.
post #65 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

Glad you asked;). I have the SVS SB13-Ultra and many of the folks here know what I think about it via my user reviews on Amazon and on the SVS website. I use it only for music reproduction in my stereo setup, although I was very impressed with its LFE capability.

I also own the XS30 (yep, it's pretty darn big) and will be using this for LFE movie content only. I haven't owned the XS30 long enough (about a week) or tested it thoroughly enough to make a blanket opinion, but I will say the following: As of today, I prefer the Ultra in music reproduction in general (on some music, significantly so, and my room is over double your room's size volume-wise). However, I prefer the XS30 in LFE reproduction. The XS30 (in another room that is double your room's size volume-wise) is an absolute brute of a subwoofer that readily outperformed the Hsu ULS-15 (that I liked very much until I began having bottoming out problems and returned it). And as much as I love the Ultra, right now I give an easy nod to the XS30 for movies.

I haven't auditioned the Rythmik, although everything I've read about their subwoofers are extremely positive. Their ported design had high praises in one of the subwoofer shootouts.

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions made here. Just pick one and test it out. SVS has free shipping both ways and the PSA free shipping to your home. The Rythmic, AFAIK, you'll pay shipping both ways.

Thanks for the input...I take it you wont be returning the XS30 wink.gif

If you had to chose one sub to pull both music and home theatre duties which would you keep?

I also would like to add both PSA and SVS have industry leading 5yr warranties smile.gif
post #66 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Thanks for the input...I take it you wont be returning the XS30 wink.gif

If you had to chose one sub to pull both music and home theatre duties which would you keep?

I also would like to add both PSA and SVS have industry leading 5yr warranties smile.gif

Hi basshead. Unless something terrible happens in the next three weeks, no, I won't be returning the XS30 (even though I was eyeing the SubMersive HP).

I listen to music 75 percent of the time, so I'd obviously keep the Ultra. I suspect if I watched movies 75 percent of the time, I'd keep the XS30. If it was 50-50, I think I'd still opt for the Ultra. Luckily, I get to keep them both and it truly is the best of both worlds!!

There were several reasons I chose PSA. The SVS background, great customer concern and service, great warrantee. PSA doesn't have the myriad of "perks" that SVS gives you but both Ed at SVS and Tom at PSA are amazing representatives for their companies.
post #67 of 88
I guess shipping cost is already included in the cost of the sub. Shipping for both way should cost a pretty penny for the larger models. Does SVS allow pick up at reduced cost ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

SVS has free shipping both ways and the PSA free shipping to your home. The Rythmic, AFAIK, you'll pay shipping both ways.
post #68 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

I guess shipping cost is already included in the cost of the sub. Shipping for both way should cost a pretty penny for the larger models. Does SVS allow pick up at reduced cost ?

Hi qguy. SVS just incorporated free shipping back to their facility in late May. They have a whole heck of a lot of perks as well that you can read on their website. It's a consumer "bill of rights", and I'm sure their pricing structure reflects all these pluses. Talk to Ed at SVS, but I don't think there would be a charge for picking it up at your house, but it's better to get SVS to confirm this.

Larger subs than the Ultra are usually shipped by freight (like the XS30). I forget what the shipping charge would be to ship it back to PSA, but I suspect it would be in the $75 to $100 range (Tom or Jim can answer this one). I think the shipping on the 190 pound Triax would get closer to $200 if one had to return it.
Edited by dsrussell - 8/13/13 at 3:15pm
post #69 of 88
Quote:
I think the shipping on the 190 pound Triax would get closer to $200 if one had to return it.

I have a hard time fathoming anyone returning a Triax. just sayin smile.gif
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I have a hard time fathoming anyone returning a Triax. just sayin smile.gif

Hey Steve. You are certainly right about that, unless WAF gets involved;). The Triax is one big subwoofer!
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

Hey Steve. You are certainly right about that, unless WAF gets involved;). The Triax is one big subwoofer!

You have a good point there, all the more reason to mock it first so she'll be well informed as to what's on the way. Could be a divorce situation if you don’t.. you would never return it. lol I never will forget the time my wife said ither that sub goes or me.. this wasn’t relating to size though, she was used to big. I’m talkin subs now. She came back on Sunday, that was a close one. Yes I would have returned it in the end if I had to though. True story! some things are worth fighting for. wink.gif
post #72 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

You have a good point there, all the more reason to mock it first so she'll be well informed as to what's on the way. Could be a divorce situation if you don’t.. you would never return it. lol I never will forget the time my wife said ither that sub goes or me.. this wasn’t relating to size though, she was used to big. I’m talkin subs now. She came back on Sunday, that was a close one. Yes I would have returned it in the end if I had to though. True story! some things are worth fighting for. wink.gif

Things are worth fighting for ... do you mean your wife or your subs;). Glad to hear she came back!

This is a crazy hobby and I really respect the wives that allow so much craziness to go on. Fortunately, my GF of 25 years has her home and I have mine, so there is never a conflict. My son certainly understands. He's the one who got me into this in the first place.
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

Things are worth fighting for ... do you mean your wife or your subs;). Glad to hear she came back!

This is a crazy hobby and I really respect the wives that allow so much craziness to go on. Fortunately, my GF of 25 years has her home and I have mine, so there is never a conflict. My son certainly understands. He's the one who got me into this in the first place.

I am curious to hear further feedback on the xs30 after its logged some run time and you get it fully dialed in. smile.gif
post #74 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I am curious to hear further feedback on the xs30 after its logged some run time and you get it fully dialed in. smile.gif

I'll be happy to, basshead. I'll either post my thoughts on the Power Sound Audio thread or PM you once I've put this brute through a lot more testing. Hey, thanks for asking.
post #75 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

I'll be happy to, basshead. I'll either post my thoughts on the Power Sound Audio thread or PM you once I've put this brute through a lot more testing. Hey, thanks for asking.

I might be thinking outside the box here, but many would find a thread with your impressions most interesting imo.
Quote:
This is a crazy hobby and I really respect the wives that allow so much craziness to go on. Fortunately, my GF of 25 years has her home and I have mine, so there is never a conflict. My son certainly understands. He's the one who got me into this in the first place.

A GF for 25 years!.. my first knee-jerk reaction would be that sounds pretty sweet after divorcing after 25 year$. After being split up for a year she wanted a legal separation, NOPE!, not going to happen. Seriously though, I still believe marriage to be a good thing. Life happens..
Edited by steve nn - 8/14/13 at 4:47am
post #76 of 88
What died? The amplifier? Have you considered just getting a good subwoofer amp and attaching it to your HGS-18? What you will gain: use of a good product. What you will lose: any and all speaker equalization that was built into the original amplifier. Careful listening and a sound level meter..
post #77 of 88
A Velodyne rep responded that the repair of the amp would be under $300, the TS, responded that he might have it repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

What died? The amplifier? Have you considered just getting a good subwoofer amp and attaching it to your HGS-18? What you will gain: use of a good product. What you will lose: any and all speaker equalization that was built into the original amplifier. Careful listening and a sound level meter..
post #78 of 88
Thread Starter 
Is it "ok" to stack a bookshelf speaker on top of a sub?

I ask because the only way I could fit dual subs into my small room would be to place them in the front corners.. and stack the L/R bookshelf speakers on them (instead of using stands)
post #79 of 88
Possible, but it removes the flexibility to place the sub in the best position for bass. Some of the "BIG" floorstanders have built in subwoofers
post #80 of 88
Hi all
I found this old thread and thought I would post here

I have the exact same situation as the OP did.
I have had the same awesome HGS-18 for 12 years too !!
Mine started making the same clicking and popping noises you describe.
I made a video of mine FOUND HERE
I saw in this thread a link to an MP4 video (Post #58), but that link is now dead.
I would love to see that video. Is there another link to it?
Did you ever get your sub repaired by Velodyne or buy something new?
I am looking for a new sub too, but if it can be repaired, I like that.

My budget is $4000 MAX, which can cover most any sub these days...except a Velodyne DD18+ @ $5800 mad.gif
That is just way overpriced...IMO

If it can't be fixed, I am interested in converting it to a passive sub with external amp
Can someone recommend a good amp to use for this sub driver?

Also, does anyone know how the sealed JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18's @ 4000W) would compare to the HGS-18?

Room size is 29 x 21 x 8
Thanks
I have posted in several threads about this, so some may have seen this question, and already answered.
Sorry for posting in multiple threads about the subject, but just trying to make the best decision
post #81 of 88
Contact Velodyne tech support about the problem. If you can fix what you have for a few hundred bucks, that would provide far more bang for the buck than scrapping it for something new. I had to replace an amp in an HGS-15. The repair cost was reasonable & it worked like new afterwards.
post #82 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Contact Velodyne tech support about the problem. If you can fix what you have for a few hundred bucks, that would provide far more bang for the buck than scrapping it for something new. I had to replace an amp in an HGS-15. The repair cost was reasonable & it worked like new afterwards.
Thanks for replying henrich3
It goes deeper than what I already posted.

I have already contacted Velodyne, sent them that video, but also, not in the video is a terrible violent thrusting of the driver in and out and making sounds like gunshots..
I told this extra info to Velodyne via phone conversation to a Mr. Quang Trang, and he told me it is the accelerometer in the 18" driver that is defective. mad.gif
They want $900 for a new driver. $285 for amp repair.
I must ship whole sub back to Velodyne I am in VA, they in CA. > $500 shipping round trip.
That is too much for me.

So...I have already removed amp, easily saw 3x bad 1000uf capacitors (One was split open)...all were bulged on the tops, and have already replaced them.
NOTE: I am an electronics type guy (Sr. EE) . Have a very nice soldering station at home, and have repaired many PCB's.
Replacing the 6x 1000uf 200V caps made no difference, Sub works fine for about 10 minutes, then this violent, out of control thrusting starts again.
Velodyne could be correct about the driver itself.
I just want to try an external amp and see what happens.

What do u think?
post #83 of 88
S2 smile.gif
post #84 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

S2 smile.gif
Good...because I have already ordered a Cap S2 2 days ago......biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif
I have been working on this issue for 6 weeks...doing so much reading on today's subs, my head is spinning
I am going to be the proud owner of the CAP S2 in 3 weeks.
I just want to try to get the old HGS18 going with an external amp to "supplement" the new Cap S2
post #85 of 88

Obx, what made you decide to switch from the OS to the S2?  Thought you had decided on the OS?

post #86 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Obx, what made you decide to switch from the OS to the S2?  Thought you had decided on the OS?

I decided to go with the S2 vs. OS due to:
Cap S2 has smaller footprint (OS was a beast, and not sure I needed that much output > 25Hz)
Cap S2 is better looking than OS
Cap S2 has dual drivers vs 1 in OS
Cap S2 has +6db more output < 20Hz
Cap S2 has a removable grill ( so I can show it off...LOL)
post #87 of 88

Well congrats on the purchase, hope all goes well when it comes in for you!

post #88 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Good...because I have already ordered a Cap S2 2 days ago......biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif
I have been working on this issue for 6 weeks...doing so much reading on today's subs, my head is spinning
I am going to be the proud owner of the CAP S2 in 3 weeks.
I just want to try to get the old HGS18 going with an external amp to "supplement" the new Cap S2

Congrats! Let us know how you like the new beast after you've had a little time to play.

If Velo tech support's diagnosis was correct (accelerometer), an external amp won't resolve the problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Sub advice: my trusty Velodyne HGS-18 died