or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Yamaha RX-A3020 or Marantz SR7008 or Denon X4000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha RX-A3020 or Marantz SR7008 or Denon X4000

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Yamaha RX-A3020 or Marantz SR7008 or Denon X4000



My Onkyo 3008 had its HDMI board bite the dust and the parts cannot be sourced. Warranty is paying me $1000 instead of repair.

Which receiver should I opt for?

The X4000 sounds like a great deal, but I wonder if it is a little under powered for my 2 story great room that is open into a kitchen and the upstairs.

Aperion Audio 633Ts up front, Aperion Audio s12 sub,632 bookshelf surrounds, and 634 vac center
Oppo 103 Blue-Ray

Music and movies in equal amounts.
post #2 of 25
You could get the x4000 and try it out. If It seems underpowered you could get an Emotiva xpa-3 for the front. Total price would be the same as the 7008 or a3020 without the amp!
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Update:

I decided on the Yamaha 3020. I found that the X4000 was a great deal, but I wanted something a little more stout and powerful due to the size of my room (not to mention my Onkyo frying the HDMI board). I discussed this with Craig at AV Science. He agreed that the X4000 was best for the buck and felt that the Yamaha would be better for the room if I could afford the extra $$. He thought the X4000 would still be good in this room though.

After placing the order for the A3020 this afternoon and at a GREAT price, he called me back a short time latter to tell me that the A3020 was discontinued and would I mind getting the A3030 at the same price. I thought that would be reasonable smile.gif . Now I just have to wait on UPS!

Thanks Craig!!
post #4 of 25
Hey, I do what I can. I'm sure the 3030 is going to be an even better receiver ! smile.gif
post #5 of 25

So now that it's been a month, how do you like the 3030?  How effective is YPAO R.S.C. compared to the 7008's Audyssey MultEQ XT32?

 

I am torn between the Yamaha 3030 and the Marantz 7008.

post #6 of 25
Pioneer elite 7x series would serve you well in terms of amplification/power and calibration.
From the ones you mentioned, the yamaha is the better pick.
post #7 of 25
I am too curious as to how the Yamaha performs, especially in room calibration. At that price why not move to a Marantz 7008 or even Denon 4250?
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post

Pioneer elite 7x series would serve you well in terms of amplification/power and calibration.
From the ones you mentioned, the yamaha is the better pick.

Why do you say the Yamaha would be a better pick?
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by riek View Post

Why do you say the Yamaha would be a better pick?

Actually, i said that the top elite pio's would be a better pick biggrin.gif

From the three mentioned, the first to cut would be the x4000.Not a high range model,unknown dacs,only 7ch. Amp,lightweight (important when we speak about a/b a/v's).Probably has better calibration ,but i wouldn't sacrifice all the others.

The marantz is new , 9ch and has all the ''bells'' but i would still choose the yamaha marginally for the better construction ,weight and ess dacs.
post #10 of 25
One thing about it on Yamaha's spec sheet they were not afraid to list 2ohm rating of 410 watts other mfg's take note.
post #11 of 25
What is it about the Yamaha amp section that causes such a big drop off in power as you go from 2-channel to five? For instance, Home Theater Mag measured the A2000 at 170 watts @ 0.1 THD 2-channels but only 70 watts with five. To compare, the SR7007 measured 123 watts @ 0.1 THD 2-channels and 89 with five.

I'm not knocking the Yamaha, I actually own one, just curious why the huge difference in power for 2&5+ channels compared to everyone else?
post #12 of 25

^^ This is actually what's keeping me from going with Yamaha, instead of Marantz or Pioneer. I find it very weird, as the 2CH-driven numbers are nominal... Can anyone shed a light on this ?

post #13 of 25

Hi Craig,

I would like to get the Yamaha 3030 , i heard you gave a great price for the Calpon, if you give a great price I would like to buy the Yamaha 3030. thank you.

post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by riek View PostI am torn between the Yamaha 3030 and the Marantz 7008.

I am like you I think Marantz might be better since it has Audyssey XT32

post #15 of 25
In addition to Audyssey MultEQ XT32, the 7008 and X4000 also feature Audyssey Sub EQ HT for dual sub calibration.
post #16 of 25

Any one knows if the Marantz will drive the KEF LS50 well, I am worried that it won't do such a good job the KEFs are not very efficient. They are rated at 8Ohm but drop down to 4

 

http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

What is it about the Yamaha amp section that causes such a big drop off in power as you go from 2-channel to five? For instance, Home Theater Mag measured the A2000 at 170 watts @ 0.1 THD 2-channels but only 70 watts with five. To compare, the SR7007 measured 123 watts @ 0.1 THD 2-channels and 89 with five.

I'm not knocking the Yamaha, I actually own one, just curious why the huge difference in power for 2&5+ channels compared to everyone else?

The power drop-off is circuit-limiting RMS power. Audioholics tested the RX-A3000 and showed it could put out as much as 153W x 7 @ 1% THD until the limiter kicked in. In terms of transient ability and power reserves the RX-A3030 will best any of the Denons or Marantz receivers on the market currently.
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View PostThe power drop-off is circuit-limiting RMS power. Audioholics tested the RX-A3000 and showed it could put out as much as 153W x 7 @ 1% THD until the limiter kicked in. In terms of transient ability and power reserves the RX-A3030 will best any of the Denons or Marantz receivers on the market currently.

That's good to know I read the Marantz sounds better, I never heard them side by side so I am curious if any one did that?

post #19 of 25
The high end yamahas have some of the best amplifiers of all AVR's.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Any one knows if the Marantz will drive the KEF LS50 well, I am worried that it won't do such a good job the KEFs are not very efficient. They are rated at 8Ohm but drop down to 4

http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

At average volume levels, shouldn't be a problem.
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

The high end yamahas have some of the best amplifiers of all AVR's.

Yes that's what I read!
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Any one knows if the Marantz will drive the KEF LS50 well, I am worried that it won't do such a good job the KEFs are not very efficient. They are rated at 8Ohm but drop down to 4

http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

I am a huge Marantz fan. I currently have a SR7002 and am in the process of upgrading to 7008. I love the type of sound the Marantz gives over Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer. But there amps are nothing special. Marantz amps are never rated below 6ohms. I have run mine at 4ohms before, but adding a seperate amp makes all the difference. I will be suing the 7008 these things:

9.2, Audysee XT32, Sub EQ, 2 independent sub outs, IP driver for Control4

Seriously thought about 8801, but just dont need it
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

At average volume levels, shouldn't be a problem.

How about for movies at reference level?
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

What is it about the Yamaha amp section that causes such a big drop off in power as you go from 2-channel to five? For instance, Home Theater Mag measured the A2000 at 170 watts @ 0.1 THD 2-channels but only 70 watts with five. To compare, the SR7007 measured 123 watts @ 0.1 THD 2-channels and 89 with five.

I'm not knocking the Yamaha, I actually own one, just curious why the huge difference in power for 2&5+ channels compared to everyone else?

That's the problem for all of those AVR same for these separate amps most of the time it is two channel driven sometime worst it 's for one channel and then goes down from there frown.gif

Marantz SR7008 A/V Receiver Test Bench
2 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (w@ 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 122.5 / 148.0
2 channels continuously driven, 4 ohms (w at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 195.4 / 216.8
5 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (w at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 101.2 / 111.5
7 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (w at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 68.8 / 82.2


Yamaha RX-A3020 A/V Receiver
Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)
1 channel driven: 194/275 W (22.9/24.4 dBW)
5 channels driven (8 ohms): 69 W (18.4 dBW)
7 channels driven (8 ohms): 63 W (18.0 dBW)

See how it drops from 194 to 63 !
Edited by wse - 1/31/14 at 8:15pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

That's the problem for all of those AVR same for these separate amps most of the time it is two channel driven sometime worst it 's for one channel and then goes down from there frown.gif

Marantz SR7008 A/V Receiver Test Bench
2 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (w@ 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 122.5 / 148.0
2 channels continuously driven, 4 ohms (w at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 195.4 / 216.8
5 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (w at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 101.2 / 111.5
7 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (w at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 68.8 / 82.2


Yamaha RX-A3020 A/V Receiver
Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)
1 channel driven: 194/275 W (22.9/24.4 dBW)
5 channels driven (8 ohms): 69 W (18.4 dBW)
7 channels driven (8 ohms): 63 W (18.0 dBW)

See how it drops from 194 to 63 !

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/rx-a3000/rx-a3000-measurements-cont

7 channels 1 KHz Power Sweep 63W (8 ohms, 1% THD)
7 channels Dynamic PWR 153W (8 ohms, 1% THD)

The 60W/channel number is a power limiter for continuous power so as to not damage the amplifier, it's capable of much higher power output in transients which most peaks in music and movies use. The 2 channel numbers show that the Yamaha has a much more sturdy amp than the Marantz, and it weighs like 13lbs more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Yamaha RX-A3020 or Marantz SR7008 or Denon X4000