or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › NFL Ticket on xbox???? HELP!! Now that its off the ps3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NFL Ticket on xbox???? HELP!! Now that its off the ps3

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know anything about the NFL ticket going to xbox. It was just known that its gone from the ps3.. So what now??

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/14/no-nfl-sunday-ticket-for-ps3-this-year
post #2 of 27
Wow. This is news.

Guess those people who bought the $99 Anniversary edition of Madden 25 from Amazon (including myself) expecting to use the Sunday NFL ticket subscription on the PS3, now know why it was not listed as an option.

Here's hope that it comes to the Xbox! I never understood why it was a PS3 exclusive anyways.. football is an American sport and the Xbox is an American console. Hell even Madden itself is most popular on the 360. Why did the NFL ever negotiate a deal to make their highly prized streaming subscription an exclusive on a Japanese console? That seems silly from the start.
post #3 of 27
This might make me cancel my order now. I have no plan on using it on my computer as I need to keep track of all the live scoring. I was going to use the PS3 on the 2nd tv. I also wonder if its only the XB1 that will have the NFL features or both MS systems? I dont think Sunday ticket will be one of them as they were showing off more of fantasy football stuff and scores.
post #4 of 27
I was buying Madden at $60 anyways. Its a no brainer to pay $40 more to have NFL ST on my computer, phone & tablet.

Since I have Apple products.. im planning to use Airplay to send the video to my TV and watch it that way.
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I was buying Madden at $60 anyways. Its a no brainer to pay $40 more to have NFL ST on my computer, phone & tablet.

Since I have Apple products.. im planning to use Airplay to send the video to my TV and watch it that way.


I would use Airplay also, I have only used it as a mirror but I wonder if I can use airplay as a 2nd monitor so I could keep my scores on the laptop and airplay only the ticket. Something I need to try out I guess.
post #6 of 27
I also plan on using airplay now, the only problem is I remember trying to mirror my iPhone to my TV last year and the Sunday Ticket App would not let me..... I wonder if this has changed or if the iPad app is different.

I sure hope the Computer streaming service quality has improved from the pure garbage quality it was last year. None of the games were in HD using the computer app.
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
I did the madden thing too now and will hook my laptop to my tv. Not going to be great quality though. Xbox 1 is next year. I need something for a few weeks! This sucks maybe direct tvs expanded their line of site to work from here...
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

I also plan on using airplay now, the only problem is I remember trying to mirror my iPhone to my TV last year and the Sunday Ticket App would not let me..... I wonder if this has changed or if the iPad app is different.

I sure hope the Computer streaming service quality has improved from the pure garbage quality it was last year. None of the games were in HD using the computer app.

Gotta jailbreak your iPhone and add an application called "XCon". After that you can mirror anything you want.

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/XCon

http://lifehacker.com/5864300/xcon-unblocks-iphone-apps-with-jailbreak-detection

Basically some app developers are purposely restricting the ability to use the video out, HDMI out or mirror-to-Airplay out capability of the phone when using their app. I know that Vulkano (Slingbox clone), HBO Go and a few other highly valued apps do this. Its generally apps that do NOT want you using the the full screen video on a TV. Probably because they would be losing money somewhere else by allowing you that capability. NFL ST would be a great example, as if you could do full screen NFL TV on iphone+TV.. then you wouldnt need DirecTV service anymore.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Gotta jailbreak your iPhone and add an application called "XCon". After that you can mirror anything you want.

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/XCon

http://lifehacker.com/5864300/xcon-unblocks-iphone-apps-with-jailbreak-detection

Basically some app developers are purposely restricting the ability to use the video out, HDMI out or mirror-to-Airplay out capability of the phone when using their app. I know that Vulkano (Slingbox clone), HBO Go and a few other highly valued apps do this. Its generally apps that do NOT want you using the the full screen video on a TV. Probably because they would be losing money somewhere else by allowing you that capability. NFL ST would be a great example, as if you could do full screen NFL TV on iphone+TV.. then you wouldnt need DirecTV service anymore.

Dammit, for some reason I have always been hesitant to jailbreak my iphone/ipad, this might make me do it. Any serious disadvantages to jailbreaking that you have noticed.?
post #10 of 27
the only disadvantage is you have to wait for the untethered version of the jailbreak to come out which can take awhile when a new version of iOS comes out. otherwise, you're stuck with the tethered version which is a pain. tethered means you have to have the device connected to your PC in order to boot or reboot the phone. if you're diligent about not letting the phone run out of battery and you never experience a crash, then it's not that big of an issue to run a tethered version of the jailbreak.

but enough moments happen where for whatever reason you need to reboot or boot the iPhone and your PC's not around and you're stuck with a paperweight until you can get back to your PC.

the only other issue is there are multiple jailbreaks out there and if you don't know what you're doing or you decide to switch from one type of jailbreak to another, you can run into problems.
post #11 of 27
Well dammit, it seems DirecTV has confirmed that the sunday ticket wont be available for any console:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/ps3-wont-get-nfl-sunday-ticket-this-year-does-receive-live-eve/

Seems very weird. I would think it would be a no-brainer to at least include it on next-gen consoles for the latter part of the season at a reduced rate.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Well dammit, it seems DirecTV has confirmed that the sunday ticket wont be available for any console:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/ps3-wont-get-nfl-sunday-ticket-this-year-does-receive-live-eve/

Seems very weird. I would think it would be a no-brainer to at least include it on next-gen consoles for the latter part of the season at a reduced rate.

I probably won't show up until a later season. Since DirecTV will need to renegotiate with the NFL since their current deal expires in a year or two. And that could bring about alot of changes depending on what DirecTV whats to do and/or how much they are willing to pay. Or how much someone else like MS or Sony is willing to pay for NFL features. You can be sure that the NFL will do whatever they can to maximize their revenue stream.
post #13 of 27
You would think with the popularity of streaming that the NFL.. and the growing international market that will finally separate its Sunday Ticket package from DirecTV.

I'm not sure how many millions DirecTV pays for that exclusivity, but just imagine the money the NFL is losing by not being able to cater to Verizon, Comcast, Cox, TW viewers.. and millions more around the world who have internet connected devices and would be interested in viewing NFL games. How many Americans now living abroad or travel for biz/pleasure would be interested in a streaming/cable package outside of DirecTV?
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

You would think with the popularity of streaming that the NFL.. and the growing international market that will finally separate its Sunday Ticket package from DirecTV.

I'm not sure how many millions DirecTV pays for that exclusivity, but just imagine the money the NFL is losing by not being able to cater to Verizon, Comcast, Cox, TW viewers.. and millions more around the world who have internet connected devices and would be interested in viewing NFL games. How many Americans now living abroad or travel for biz/pleasure would be interested in a streaming/cable package outside of DirecTV?

With DirecTVs current deal, they pay the NFL $1 Billion dollars a year for NFL ticket exclusivity. I guess the NFL coul dmake more separately. But if they do offer it to everyone, the price for each provider pays will have to go down alot. One Billion a year is a huge amount of money that DirecTV pays the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147449/article/could-directv-walk-away-from-nfl-sunday-ticket
Quote:
....The NFL signed a four-year, $4 billion extension with DirecTV in 2009, ensuring the "Sunday Ticket" package would be available exclusively on DirecTV through the 2014 season.....
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I'm not sure how many millions DirecTV pays for that exclusivity, but just imagine the money the NFL is losing by not being able to cater to Verizon, Comcast, Cox, TW viewers.. and millions more around the world who have internet connected devices and would be interested in viewing NFL games. How many Americans now living abroad or travel for biz/pleasure would be interested in a streaming/cable package outside of DirecTV?


Or even just out-of-market fans, too.

The sad thing is that having used the DirecTV streaming package in the past, and having used the NFL's "Preseason Live" this year, the NFL's service has been better.

That being said, the NFL does offer a live streaming "GamePass" package for anyone outside the US. I've heard good things about that as well.
post #16 of 27
Yeah. That was disappointing about the PS3 not carrying NFLST for 2013, or beyond it looks like. Even the XBOX360 and the new XBOXONE won't be carrying it seems. I wonder what the NFL is up too?

Are they planning a big expansion on products like AppleTV/ROKU/Cable Companies/etc...?

I wonder. I cannot see them on their continuing model. They are making mad money right now, but could be making more. MLB.TV, plus other apps, prove if they are done right, can be a HUGE success.

I think we will know more as the season progresses. Since the current DirecTV deal ends at the end of 2014 season, I cannot see them waiting until the last minute(after the 2014 season) to see what they do. They usually(the past proves this) announce new deals at least 2 years before something starts.

Of course, this year is different which means they are up to talking to someone else other than DirecTV, plus possibly multiple STB with different companies like other major sports.
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
does 2014 mean this year or next year (feb 2014 or feb 2015). They have to be up to something. No way they are losing so many customers who can't get direct tv.. All the NFL cares about is money. They will expand somehow. I just hope its next year cause I am one of those people who can't get direct tv
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Yeah. That was disappointing about the PS3 not carrying NFLST for 2013, or beyond it looks like. Even the XBOX360 and the new XBOXONE won't be carrying it seems. I wonder what the NFL is up too?

Are they planning a big expansion on products like AppleTV/ROKU/Cable Companies/etc...?
.........s.

This has to do with DirecTV. They pay for exclusivity. They are the ones that decided to offer it on the PS3 the last couple of years. But supposedly they found that it decreased the amount of subscribers. Which is why they don't have it this year.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick View Post

does 2014 mean this year or next year (feb 2014 or feb 2015). They have to be up to something. No way they are losing so many customers who can't get direct tv.. All the NFL cares about is money. They will expand somehow. I just hope its next year cause I am one of those people who can't get direct tv

The NFL is still getting one BILLION dollars a year from DirecTV. That is a gigantic sum of money.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick View Post

does 2014 mean this year or next year (feb 2014 or feb 2015). They have to be up to something. No way they are losing so many customers who can't get direct tv.. All the NFL cares about is money. They will expand somehow. I just hope its next year cause I am one of those people who can't get direct tv

It means the END of the 2014 Football Season. So the current deal with the NFL runs out Jan 1st, 2015(or whenever the last week of the 2014 season is), unless re-upped.

A $BILLION is ALOT for one company too pay, and DirecTV execs feel(at least back in March 2013) that it might just be way too much for them to handle.

So if the NFL expands to, let's say AppleTV/Comcast/Verizon/Dish Network and that is it, they "should" be able to come close to DOUBLING that total between just 4 providers.($500 million each let's say).

And I just named 4 providers that have NOTHING to do with each other. Just picked them at random. I have TWC, and knowing their track record, they would probably not pay up for the package.

But I can see at least STB Company(ROKU/AppleTV/GOOGLETV/etc...) that provides streaming getting involved. But I can see only one, for exclusivity.
post #21 of 27
Also remember, the ONE thing that DirecTV and DISH Network have going for them(plus those STB companies): Is that about 99% of the public CAN GET IT, if it wants too(excluding those that live in apartment buildings that do not allow Dishes, which in the total amount of people is not a lot. 1% or less would be my guess).

Nearly ALL of us are tied to ONE cable provider(TWC/Comcast/Cablevision/Verizon/Armstrong/etc...), and have ZERO choice in the matter. If you live in an area where you have more than one provider too choose from, consider yourself super lucky. Most don't. We are allowed just one, unless you want to toward one of the Dish companies.

This is where they have an advantage over cable companies, and could gain and keep exclusivity over NFLST.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The NFL is still getting one BILLION dollars a year from DirecTV. That is a gigantic sum of money.

1 billion is not as big as it used to be. Time Warner Cable paid to have exclusive access to the Los Angeles Lakers for $3 billion, 20 year agreement. Time Warner Cable is also rumored to be getting exclusive access to the Los Angeles Dodgers for $7 billion, 20 year agreement. And that is for one franchise team! Not the entire NFL.

For other providers to show Lakers, Dodgers, etc., they have to negotiate with TMC in order to get broadcasting rights.

The NFL knows that big money is out there. If not from one company, then from multiple companies.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

1 billion is not as big as it used to be. Time Warner Cable paid to have exclusive access to the Los Angeles Lakers for $3 billion, 20 year agreement. Time Warner Cable is also rumored to be getting exclusive access to the Los Angeles Dodgers for $7 billion, 20 year agreement. And that is for one franchise team! Not the entire NFL.

For other providers to show Lakers, Dodgers, etc., they have to negotiate with TMC in order to get broadcasting rights.

The NFL knows that big money is out there. If not from one company, then from multiple companies.

Those companies have exclusive access. With DirectV, they don't have exclusive access to the game. The individual networks have those. But DirecTV is the only place to be able to view all the games. While the Lakers is 300 Million a year, the Dodgers at over 600 million a year is a very crazy amount of money. No wonder they are trying to force all the cable subscribers to pay for it even though only a minority of the subscribers have any interest in watching the Dodgers.
post #24 of 27
Directv stands to lose a lot of subscribers if they lose Sunday Ticket. They have weighed 1 billion dollars vs the loss of subs and they see it as worth the price.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

1 billion is not as big as it used to be. Time Warner Cable paid to have exclusive access to the Los Angeles Lakers for $3 billion, 20 year agreement. Time Warner Cable is also rumored to be getting exclusive access to the Los Angeles Dodgers for $7 billion, 20 year agreement. And that is for one franchise team! Not the entire NFL.

For other providers to show Lakers, Dodgers, etc., they have to negotiate with TMC in order to get broadcasting rights.

The NFL knows that big money is out there. If not from one company, then from multiple companies.

Because MLB(not sure how NBA handles this) DOES NOT REVENUE SHARE at the level the NFL does. Everything is split between ALL 32 teams in the NFL, except certain things that really don't amount to thee kind of numbers you are talking about.

You will not see the biggest/most popular franchises(Dallas/Pittsburgh/Chicago/Green Bay/Oakland/Miami) make a deal like that. Unless they change the NFL agreement between teams and revenue sharing(WILL NEVER HAPPEN).

The NFL is not #1 just because of it's popularity as a sport, but also because of the thing mentioned above. NFL owners were smart enough to do what Baseball/NBA/NHL were too GREEDY/STUPID not to do, and they have been rewarded greatly for it.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Because MLB(not sure how NBA handles this) DOES NOT REVENUE SHARE at the level the NFL does. Everything is split between ALL 32 teams in the NFL, except certain things that really don't amount to thee kind of numbers you are talking about.

You will not see the biggest/most popular franchises(Dallas/Pittsburgh/Chicago/Green Bay/Oakland/Miami) make a deal like that. Unless they change the NFL agreement between teams and revenue sharing(WILL NEVER HAPPEN).

The NFL is not #1 just because of it's popularity as a sport, but also because of the thing mentioned above. NFL owners were smart enough to do what Baseball/NBA/NHL were too GREEDY/STUPID not to do, and they have been rewarded greatly for it.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. The point is the NFL is worth more than $1 billion. These deals with the Dodgers and Lakers show that the NFL is worth more than $1 billion. If all it took was $1 billion for DirecTV to renew, they would've run to the dotted line as fast as they could. What's giving them pause is what they believe the NFL wants.

Revenue sharing is in all the sports. In fact, the Dodgers deal is being argued because the Dodgers don't think they need to revenue share the deal.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post


Revenue sharing is in all the sports. In fact, the Dodgers deal is being argued because the Dodgers don't think they need to revenue share the deal.

And you just made my point. There is revenue sharing in baseball. LIMITED REVENUE SHARING. The clubs DO NOT share in their local TV/RADIO deals with the other clubs. Never have. Which keeps the league totally unbalanced as far as the same playing level. But that is another argument.

In the NFL, the TV/Radio/satellite/etc... deals are ALL SHARED by the clubs equally. My point is if the Dodgers can get that kind of ASSININE money from TWC(why am I stuck with these schmucks?), then the NFL deal will HAVE TO BE made up of MULTIPLE PARTNERS for the next NFLST deal.

DirecTV, for that not one of any of these companies ALONE, could offer what the NFL might be seeking. It will take MULTIPLE platforms, no longer be exclusive to one service, and make ALOT of people happy(fans). Maybe $10-15billion over 5-7 years?

No ONE COMPANY can make that offer by themselves.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › NFL Ticket on xbox???? HELP!! Now that its off the ps3