or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW RANGE JVC 2014 - Page 90

post #2671 of 3979
So i guess, what i can get out of all these posts i'm better off using my calman5 with my meter pointed at the screen and use the 125 point autocal with calman vs using the JVC software...
post #2672 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper14 View Post

So i guess, what i can get out of all these posts i'm better off using my calman5 with my meter pointed at the screen and use the 125 point autocal with calman vs using the JVC software...

For sure, at least until the projector drifts so much that the controls in the Radiance are not able to reach the targets anymore without causing side effects (loss of brightness, posterization, banding, etc). But there are other controls you can use in the projector to avoid that in the first place, as all the new models have a CMS and some basic greyscale/gamma controls which should allow you to compensate and get a decent baseline for quite a while. As soon as Calman handles the new models, you should also be able to use it to autocal the JVC before you autocal the Radiance. So you should be okay for a little while...
post #2673 of 3979
So what's the best way for a calibration apprentice to start in on his first JVC projector since the Spyder4 Elite isn't apparently the hot ticket? I have no calibration equipment or any kind of light meter.
post #2674 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I don't know -- per the instruction manual for the JVC software, a CIE diagram is generated once the software finishes the calibration. This, and the fact that you can enter your own target RGB coordinates, at least implies that the software is trying to calibrate to a non-arbitrary standard (i.e. the Rec. 709 or user-defined colorspace) as opposed to simply returning the projector to its as-shipped, factory default condition. I think what the literature is trying to say is that the calibration software lets you maintain a consistent image even as the projector ages -- not that the original OOTB factory settings are the calibration software's target.

Regardless, we'll never know for sure what's going on until someone runs the software and measures the results.

This is awesome! Why did it take the industry so long to come up with such a perfect and simple solution, just hope it's implemented well.

Also, due to the huge number of threads, can we move the auto-calibration discussions to the auto-cal thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493203/jvc-auto-calibration/30#post_23796706
post #2675 of 3979
Is it better to do the focus on full zoom out or does it make any difference.
Edited by Robinson ------ - 12/29/13 at 9:41am
post #2676 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

So what's the best way for a calibration apprentice to start in on his first JVC projector since the Spyder4 Elite isn't apparently the hot ticket? I have no calibration equipment or any kind of light meter.

Is there a "Projector Calibration For Dummies" guide or anything like that?
post #2677 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Is there a "Projector Calibration For Dummies" guide or anything like that?


You likely already know about this, but it comes in handy if you have no equipment.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
post #2678 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

You likely already know about this, but it comes in handy if you have no equipment.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Actually I didn't. Thanks!
post #2679 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Yes, quite possibly so.
I recall you saying JVC's are not individually factory calibrated.....so the LUT must be the same for all right? In any event saving the factory LUT makes a huge amount of sense if the SW allows the user to change it.
Sounds like fun to experiment with if one can back it up and if said backup works as planned....


Has anyone looked at the software to comment on how one would (or even want to) "import" a custom gamma curve (is it even in this software or is there another piece?)?

post #2680 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Is there a "Projector Calibration For Dummies" guide or anything like that?

Why yes… wink.gif

Here
post #2681 of 3979
^ Thanks!

Those of you who are running 3D Systems-What 3D Blu-Ray players are you using? I have a Legacy AVR, (Yamaha RX-Z11) so I need one with 2 HDMI outputs to retain 7.1 HDMI audio to the Z11. I'm using a Sony 5000ES right now which I'd probably still use for 2D.
post #2682 of 3979
The Oppo is the player of choice for most.
post #2683 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

^ Thanks!

Those of you who are running 3D Systems-What 3D Blu-Ray players are you using? I have a Legacy AVR, (Yamaha RX-Z11) so I need one with 2 HDMI outputs to retain 7.1 HDMI audio to the Z11. I'm using a Sony 5000ES right now which I'd probably still use for 2D.

Oppo 93 here, this unit has 2 HDMI outputs, i tent to play most of my blu-ray videos from USB, i rip my purchased discs to ISO and play from HDD connected to the oppo just to simplify things.
post #2684 of 3979
I have a weird problem with the RS6710 not acquiring a DHCP IP but if I set a static IP it works fine. Can someone else check and confirm? Also are future firmware updates possible via lan cable or is it limited to serial connection only?
post #2685 of 3979
Firmware updates are possible via LAN. You'll need to connect it directly to your PC though as the projector will not download the firmware file from the internet. The RS232 port will work too.
post #2686 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

The Oppo is the player of choice for most.

I was looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 because of the price. It doesn't upscale to 4K however. Not sure how much difference that really makes? The Oppo 103 and 103D do however. The D adds the internal Darbee circuit for $100 more. Is that worth considering, or with the eShift 3 is that a waste? Anybody try their Darblet with one of the new models yet? Probably will view 3D very little however since it usually makes my wife sick, so the additional cost of the Oppo might not be worth it for me.
post #2687 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

I was looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 because of the price. It doesn't upscale to 4K however. Not sure how much difference that really makes? The Oppo 103 and 103D do however. The D adds the internal Darbee circuit for $100 more. Is that worth considering, or with the eShift 3 is that a waste? Anybody try their Darblet with one of the new models yet? Probably will view 3D very little however since it usually makes my wife sick, so the additional cost of the Oppo might not be worth it for me.

E-shift and the Darbee processing are two totally separate and distinct things. Each will add a little extra to the overall experience. Considering the standalone device is around $300 the extra $100 you'd spend getting the 103D seems like a no-brainer.
post #2688 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

I was looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 because of the price. It doesn't upscale to 4K however. Not sure how much difference that really makes? The Oppo 103 and 103D do however. The D adds the internal Darbee circuit for $100 more. Is that worth considering, or with the eShift 3 is that a waste? Anybody try their Darblet with one of the new models yet? Probably will view 3D very little however since it usually makes my wife sick, so the additional cost of the Oppo might not be worth it for me.

I have the Oppo 103D. I like it because it has two hdmi input. Meaning, it lets you use the Blu ray settings and quality with two inputs. My cable looks great with the oppo processing. The Darbee added helps the image also. Also, its a great 2D and 3D player. I have my cable box and ps4 hooked up to my Oppo. Another good think is that its a good media player. I rip my movies to a USB and play them. You can add a switcher to the Oppo for more inputs. The Oppo has a second output that can go directly to a avr for audio. I use my have with other media inputs like my HTPC, Xbox, and other devices. I think its worth it
post #2689 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

I was looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 because of the price. It doesn't upscale to 4K however. Not sure how much difference that really makes? The Oppo 103 and 103D do however. The D adds the internal Darbee circuit for $100 more. Is that worth considering, or with the eShift 3 is that a waste? Anybody try their Darblet with one of the new models yet? Probably will view 3D very little however since it usually makes my wife sick, so the additional cost of the Oppo might not be worth it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

E-shift and the Darbee processing are two totally separate and distinct things. Each will add a little extra to the overall experience. Considering the standalone device is around $300 the extra $100 you'd spend getting the 103D seems like a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I have the Oppo 103D. I like it because it has two hdmi input. Meaning, it lets you use the Blu ray settings and quality with two inputs. My cable looks great with the oppo processing. The Darbee added helps the image also. Also, its a great 2D and 3D player. I have my cable box and ps4 hooked up to my Oppo. Another good think is that its a good media player. I rip my movies to a USB and play them. You can add a switcher to the Oppo for more inputs. The Oppo has a second output that can go directly to a avr for audio. I use my have with other media inputs like my HTPC, Xbox, and other devices. I think its worth it

I have the 103D as well and it looks really sleek physically, and the PQ is impeccable. Darbee works well so long as you keep it on HD and less than 40%. I personally run HD 20%, but you can go a bit higher depending on the content you're watching.

I hope this new Dolby HDR tech takes off and works well. biggrin.gif
post #2690 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I have the Oppo 103D. I like it because it has two hdmi input. Meaning, it lets you use the Blu ray settings and quality with two inputs. My cable looks great with the oppo processing. The Darbee added helps the image also. Also, its a great 2D and 3D player. I have my cable box and ps4 hooked up to my Oppo. Another good think is that its a good media player. I rip my movies to a USB and play them. You can add a switcher to the Oppo for more inputs. The Oppo has a second output that can go directly to a avr for audio. I use my have with other media inputs like my HTPC, Xbox, and other devices. I think its worth it[/quote

Just wondering what formats the media player handles, you say you rip your movies to USB, are you ripping them to ISO and playing them, or another format, i rip my movies too... to ISO and play via USB on the oppo 93, just curious what format your ripping too as there was a firmware update that came out way back on the oppo 93 that prevented ISO playback, which i never applied. i've recently started ripping my blurays now to MKV with makemkv keeping only the full quality movie and the full quality audio track and playing back with XBMC off a mac mini, not sure if i'm still downgrading quality by running via a mac mini vs the oppo but its easy... and nice to have the library all in 1 big listing.
post #2691 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper14 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I have the Oppo 103D. I like it because it has two hdmi input. Meaning, it lets you use the Blu ray settings and quality with two inputs. My cable looks great with the oppo processing. The Darbee added helps the image also. Also, its a great 2D and 3D player. I have my cable box and ps4 hooked up to my Oppo. Another good think is that its a good media player. I rip my movies to a USB and play them. You can add a switcher to the Oppo for more inputs. The Oppo has a second output that can go directly to a avr for audio. I use my have with other media inputs like my HTPC, Xbox, and other devices. I think its worth it[/quote

Just wondering what formats the media player handles, you say you rip your movies to USB, are you ripping them to ISO and playing them, or another format, i rip my movies too... to ISO and play via USB on the oppo 93, just curious what format your ripping too as there was a firmware update that came out way back on the oppo 93 that prevented ISO playback, which i never applied. i've recently started ripping my blurays now to MKV with makemkv keeping only the full quality movie and the full quality audio track and playing back with XBMC off a mac mini, not sure if i'm still downgrading quality by running via a mac mini vs the oppo but its easy... and nice to have the library all in 1 big listing.

I do mkv with makemkv. I also use my ADIOS media player for ISO files
post #2692 of 3979
Well-It looks like the dust is settling and other than a few HDMI handshake issues, (that will most likely be corrected with a firmware update) these new JVC's appear to be an improvement over the previous series. smile.gif
post #2693 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Well-It looks like the dust is settling and other than a few HDMI handshake issues, (that will most likely be corrected with a firmware update) these new JVC's appear to be an improvement over the previous series. smile.gif

Yes, although I was hoping the jump from an RS55 native contrast of 80,000:1 to the new 120,000:1 native contrast would be more visible than Zombie is reporting. (Which seems to be virtually nil difference).
I saw what I believe was an appreciable difference in image quality from my RS20 to the RS55 (50,000:1 native vs 80,000:1 native). The increase in native contrast is rated as even higher between the RS55 and the new RS57, so I was hoping the new chips would produce more visible benefits.
post #2694 of 3979
Rich I think that when you went from the RS20 your contrast almost doubled, but going to the RS55 to RS57 it's only 50% more, so perhaps less obvious unless perhaps seen side by side? I've seen it suggested previously on AVS that we need a bigger increases in contrast to really notice, hence why I try to aim for at least a doubling of my previous projector myself. However, once the DI is included then surely that would more than meet the doubling criteria to give a very noticeable increase?
post #2695 of 3979
The only benefit I would expect to see from higher CR is lower black level in dim scenes, and the II which has now been shown to work will improve that way more than the modest native CR increases.
post #2696 of 3979
Hi Guys,

I received my JVC X500R today and am having a hard time with finding a ceiling mount that fits.

I ordered this monoprice mount in advance but it doesn't fit:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091102&p_id=3010&seq=1&format=2

I then went to BestBuy and picked up this mount but it doesn't fit either:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/universal-ceiling-mount-for-front-projectors/7119646.p;jsessionid=1EA21C85BC5B87CC37A248439C8BF1AA.bbolsp-app01-126?id=1109233829974&skuId=7119646&st=projector%20mount&cp=1&lp=2

Seems like universal mounts are do not have long enough arms to reach the four screws which are in the corners (by removing legs).

What are you guys using?
post #2697 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

Hi Guys,

I received my JVC X500R today and am having a hard time with finding a ceiling mount that fits.

I ordered this monoprice mount in advance but it doesn't fit:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091102&p_id=3010&seq=1&format=2

I then went to BestBuy and picked up this mount but it doesn't fit either:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/universal-ceiling-mount-for-front-projectors/7119646.p;jsessionid=1EA21C85BC5B87CC37A248439C8BF1AA.bbolsp-app01-126?id=1109233829974&skuId=7119646&st=projector%20mount&cp=1&lp=2

Seems like universal mounts are do not have long enough arms to reach the four screws which are in the corners (by removing legs).

What are you guys using?
I replied to your cross-post in the X500 thread.
post #2698 of 3979
I have purchased an X500R (that I'm patiently waiting for ) to replace my Mitsubishi HC4000. The Mits is ceiling mounted, however I was planning on building an elevated shelf in the back of my room for the JVC. Is there more chance of projector shake one way or another? I have 5 subs in my room and 2 of them are on an elevated riser (for the L&R surround channels) that I would build the elevated shelf off of.
post #2699 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

I have purchased an X500R (that I'm patiently waiting for ) to replace my Mitsubishi HC4000. The Mits is ceiling mounted, however I was planning on building an elevated shelf in the back of my room for the JVC. Is there more chance of projector shake one way or another? I have 5 subs in my room and 2 of them are on an elevated riser (for the L&R surround channels) that I would build the elevated shelf off of.

Buy a few Auralex Subdudes for your subs to decouple them from the room...if that doesn't fix the shaking, sell a few subs.
post #2700 of 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Buy a few Auralex Subdudes for your subs to decouple them from the room...if that doesn't fix the shaking, sell a few subs.

Not planning on ditching any subs. I actually like the slight transducer like effects of the 2 surround channel subs on my riser. (There are 4 reclining HT chairs and this is the primary viewing position at 13' from the screen)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home