or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW RANGE JVC 2014 - Page 121

post #3601 of 3973
So since I already have my RS-50 professionally packed to sell, I hooked up my Epson 1080 (the original, not even the UB model) until my bad 4910 is dealt with and wow, I forgot how grey the blacks are and how much sharper the JVC picture is. I am sure Epson has come a long way wince this model I still have, but it's really night and day compared to the 4910, which I did get to watch for 3-4 hours hehe.
post #3602 of 3973
My customer support with AVS has always been top notch. However Jvc's customer service is definitely a step down, and mentioning Jvc's CS in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence as Epson or AVS is a travesty. I had to send my rs45 unit in and had to pay the $40 or so to ship it in. Then I got it back nearly a month later. Only to have it still screwed up, same exact problem. Then they wanted me to pay the shipping to send it back in again! I had to raise hell with both Jvc and the 3rd party repair center before receiving a prepaid return label. Got the projector back again and what do you know...... Still screwed up. Then Jvc had me send it to them, they couldn't determine the problem and eventually replaced it with a rs46 under warranty. Granted I was only a couple months away from my warranty expiration but still I considered the whole deal unacceptable. Guess I was spoiled warranty wise by having Epsons for 4 years.
post #3603 of 3973
Anybody had any luck warranty registering their 500, 700, or 900 on the JVC consumer site? I've tried for a few days now, and the link appears to be broken.
post #3604 of 3973
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports/dp/B0000VYJRY/

I believe that is the cable that Zombie stated Jvc tested successfully with performing the upgrade. Has anyone tried this cable and is this cable the only one will need to perform the upgrade with a laptop that does NOT have a serial port and simply Usb?
post #3605 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk576c View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports/dp/B0000VYJRY/

I believe that is the cable that Zombie stated Jvc tested successfully with performing the upgrade. Has anyone tried this cable and is this cable the only one will need to perform the upgrade with a laptop that does NOT have a serial port and simply Usb?

Yes this is one of the recommended USB to RS232 adapters recommended by JVC in their firmware installation instructions. In addition to this you will need a null modem cable as well. I used both this adapter and the null modem cable that they mention and had no problems. This was with a Lenovo T430 laptop running 64 bit Windows 7 Professional.
post #3606 of 3973
People have to stop calling the usb to serial converter a cable. It isn't. Its an electronic box in the form or whatever. One end plugs into a USB port on your computer and powers the whatever thru that. The other on of the USB that plus into the computer plugs into the box. It could be permanently attached. OK. The box looks like a big plug or whatever. It has a male serial connector on it Its a db9 male connector. The pins are not cross wired. What plugs into the JVC needs to be cross wired. Also the 9 pin connector on the JVC is male. So one needs a null modem serial cable with female connectors on both ends. the null modem is crossed and makes you and the JVC happy.
post #3607 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk576c View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports/dp/B0000VYJRY/

I believe that is the cable that Zombie stated Jvc tested successfully with performing the upgrade. Has anyone tried this cable and is this cable the only one will need to perform the upgrade with a laptop that does NOT have a serial port and simply Usb?

I used it yesterday and it worked perfect.
post #3608 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I used it yesterday and it worked perfect.

Cardoski,

Off topic, but do you still have your EluneVision screen, or have you switched screens? If so, which screen has been your favorite, subjectively?

Have you compared the EluneVision Reference Studio 4K 100 to Stewart StudioTek 100 or 130 G3?
post #3609 of 3973
So I've got a question, maybe it's been answered already, but one of the advantages of the RS57+ (over the RS49-) is that they offer a larger gamut that can actually cover (and thus be calibrated to) the REC709 gamut. I've seen that there's a green filter that's used for some picture modes that, according to what I saw on Cine4home, eats about 20% of the brightness. Is that filter used to hit the 709 gamut or for something else?
post #3610 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

Cardoski,

Off topic, but do you still have your EluneVision screen, or have you switched screens? If so, which screen has been your favorite, subjectively?

Have you compared the EluneVision Reference Studio 4K 100 to Stewart StudioTek 100 or 130 G3?

The only screen I have ever seen is my Elunevison screen and some horrible screen in the future shop. It would be about a 20 hour drive to go look at any screens. As for the Elunevision, as far as I can tell the color is very uniform across the screen, it is a really nice image with no visible texture. But I have a strange issue with it, that is very hard to explain, there is a swirling heat wave type effect in a part of the screen during white or near white scenes. Also I want more pop and the ability to really clamp my Iris down. So i am in the hunt for something new.

Edit; the screen is fine the issue was something other than the screen.
Edited by cardoski - 1/22/14 at 3:43pm
post #3611 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

The only screen I have ever seen is my Elunevison screen and some horrible screen in the future shop. It would be about a 20 hour drive to go look at any screens. As for the Elunevision, as far as I can tell the color is very uniform across the screen, it is a really nice image with no visible texture. But I have a strange issue with it, that is very hard to explain, there is a swirling heat wave type effect in a part of the screen during white or near white scenes. Also I want more pop and the ability to really clamp my Iris down. So i am in the hunt for something new.

Ok, that sounds like a strange defect, but sounds like a nice screen overall as you describe. Maybe the Stewart StudioTek 130 G3, EluneVision Reference PureBright 4K 240, or Da-Lite HP 2.4 would give you that extra bit of "pop" you're searching for.
post #3612 of 3973
I feel like newbie thread is needed for the new projectors. For me it's also my first projector ever and it is very fascinating yet overwhelming. The picture is great (when it works smile.gif) but I know I can get more. For example, what's a good setting for iris, super white on/off? Etc.

Tips and tricks are welcomed.
post #3613 of 3973
Hoe about a geezer thread for old geezers?
post #3614 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

But I have a strange issue with it, that is very hard to explain, there is a swirling heat wave type effect in a part of the screen during white or near white scenes.

Check your air conditioning and other vents blowing air between the pj and the screen. Might also be the vents from the pj. What it's not is a screen issue. smile.gif
post #3615 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post



Check your air conditioning and other vents blowing air between the pj and the screen. Might also be the vents from the pj. What it's not is a screen issue. smile.gif

Could you hear me face palming myself from Canada. eek.gif I can not believe I never thought of that, I just tested it and ya it was the heat vent, I feel pretty dam silly right now. tongue.gif
Thank you so much, sometimes the obvious is right in front of us and we don't see it.
post #3616 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

I feel like newbie thread is needed for the new projectors. For me it's also my first projector ever and it is very fascinating yet overwhelming. The picture is great (when it works smile.gif) but I know I can get more. For example, what's a good setting for iris, super white on/off? Etc.

Tips and tricks are welcomed.

I have my manual aperture at -7 and the DI at auto2. I have super white on and clear black on high. The color temp is 6500 and the gamma is 2.3. Of course everyones adjustments will be different because of screen and room. I suggest downloading the REC709 disc form this site, it gives you the ability to do some adjusting.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
post #3617 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

So I've got a question, maybe it's been answered already, but one of the advantages of the RS57+ (over the RS49-) is that they offer a larger gamut that can actually cover (and thus be calibrated to) the REC709 gamut. I've seen that there's a green filter that's used for some picture modes that, according to what I saw on Cine4home, eats about 20% of the brightness. Is that filter used to hit the 709 gamut or for something else?

No it doesn't. All of the USER settings hit a 709 gamut correctly from my initial testing but as Ekki showed using Cinema-DCI you can get a better than... and bring in from there (if after the bulb ages and you need it that is). I believe the 4910/x500's begin a bit slight on green and not able to hit 709 (without a VP). I'll be testing xvYCC this weekend after I receive some Min4K discs to confirm for Jon & Manni if the filter gets engaged when the 57 detects this mode.
Edited by krichter1 - 1/24/14 at 6:14pm
post #3618 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Could you hear me face palming myself from Canada. eek.gif I can not believe I never thought of that, I just tested it and ya it was the heat vent, I feel pretty dam silly right now. tongue.gif
Thank you so much, sometimes the obvious is right in front of us and we don't see it.

Haha… I suffered the same freak out when I bought my RS50 as my heat register is right in the light path but I thought something was majorly wrong with the light engine! biggrin.gif
post #3619 of 3973
And I have seen a tab tensioned screen get wrinkles etc as the heat/air conditioning venter expanded the screen material or contracted it going from heating to cooling etc. customer thought it was a screen defect.
post #3620 of 3973
Okay, I have read through every page (well almost every page) and amongst all of the great technical data, which is WAY over my head, i haven't been able to boil it down and get clear answers to 3 simple questions. As a result I am going to ask them and if anyone that has or has seen last years models and now has a 900 or 700 can answer them, I would appreciate it very, very much..

1. Are these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably brighter than last years models. Note I said noticeably...I am running on a 142 inch Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.8 gain screen.

2. Is the contrast on these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably higher than last years models. Same as above as in can you really see the difference.

3. Is the black level on these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably blacker than last years models. Again, same as above.

The reason I say "noticeably better" is because I am not as interested in what measurements show on a instrument, I am more concerned with my own eyes seeing a difference. Unfortunately I will not be able to see one side by side with my current x95..

thanks in advance and Rock On !
post #3621 of 3973
1. no

2. yes

3. yes
post #3622 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Okay, I have read through every page (well almost every page) and amongst all of the great technical data, which is WAY over my head, i haven't been able to boil it down and get clear answers to 3 simple questions. As a result I am going to ask them and if anyone that has or has seen last years models and now has a 900 or 700 can answer them, I would appreciate it very, very much..

1. Are these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably brighter than last years models. Note I said noticeably...I am running on a 142 inch Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.8 gain screen.

2. Is the contrast on these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably higher than last years models. Same as above as in can you really see the difference.

3. Is the black level on these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably blacker than last years models. Again, same as above.

The reason I say "noticeably better" is because I am not as interested in what measurements show on a instrument, I am more concerned with my own eyes seeing a difference. Unfortunately I will not be able to see one side by side with my current x95..

thanks in advance and Rock On !

you will primarily see the difference in low APL scenes where the iris can close down further than the lowest point we can manually set it. If you were mainly watching HDTV or Sports, the difference would not be obvious.
post #3623 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Okay, I have read through every page (well almost every page) and amongst all of the great technical data, which is WAY over my head, i haven't been able to boil it down and get clear answers to 3 simple questions. As a result I am going to ask them and if anyone that has or has seen last years models and now has a 900 or 700 can answer them, I would appreciate it very, very much..

1. Are these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably brighter than last years models. Note I said noticeably...I am running on a 142 inch Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.8 gain screen.

2. Is the contrast on these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably higher than last years models. Same as above as in can you really see the difference.

3. Is the black level on these projectors (900 or 700) noticeably blacker than last years models. Again, same as above.

The reason I say "noticeably better" is because I am not as interested in what measurements show on a instrument, I am more concerned with my own eyes seeing a difference. Unfortunately I will not be able to see one side by side with my current x95..

thanks in advance and Rock On !

Depends entirely on how you use your x95, and if you can live with the dynamic iris on the new models.

If you use the x95 with the iris fully closed, and can live with the DI on the new models, the answers will be
1. Yes if you open up the iris on the new model as the hit on the below won't be as bad
2. Not massively
3. Yes in fade to black and low APL scenes

If you use the X95 with the iris fully open and can live with the DI:
1. No
2. Yes, significantly
2. Yes, significantly

If you use the x95 with the iris in mid position and can do the same with the new model and can live with the DI:
1. Yes, significantly if you open up the iris at the expense of the below
2. Yes, significantly
3. Yes, significantly

If you can't live with the dynamic iris on the new models due to the artifacts:
1. Not significantly
2. Not significantly
3. Not significantly

BUT I haven't seen any of the new models, only extrapolating from past experience with many JVCs and feedback from people I trust, so feel free to discard this reply.
Edited by Manni01 - 1/24/14 at 12:07am
post #3624 of 3973
Ok, newbie question of the day:
How do I know if my JVC 3D glasses are on or off? There's only a single button for both on and off. Unless my projector is on and displaying 3D material, I have no idea if the glasses are turned on or off. I had them lose power for no real reason. There is no documentation attached to the package...

EDIT: Ok I think I figured it out: One blink - on. Two blinks - Off. What's wrong with an sliding button is beyond me smile.gif.

Still didn't find a way to know if the a charge has been completed.
Edited by odedia - 1/24/14 at 5:06am
post #3625 of 3973

I am waiting for JVC launching a HDMi 2.01 4K projector at CEDIA 2014

post #3626 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I am waiting for JVC launching a HDMi 2.01 4K projector at CEDIA 2014

If JVC does a 4K projector, my guess is MSRP between 13 and 14K.
Reply
Reply
post #3627 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
 

I am waiting for JVC launching a HDMi 2.01 4K projector at CEDIA 2014

 

Updated HDMI and HDCP sure, but I'm not betting seeing native 4K panels from them this year either... Maybe a super e-shift that can really rebuild a 4k picture and not only half of it as the current one ?

post #3628 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaal View Post

Updated HDMI and HDCP sure, but I'm not betting seeing native 4K panels from them this year either...

Why not?
post #3629 of 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

If JVC does a 4K projector, my guess is MSRP between 13 and 14K.

I would have said that for a model launched this year. But with Sony pushing hard on 4K I would probably expect a shift in price on their 4K stuff at CEDIA with a model that replaces the 95ES with true 4K, especially if a 4K Blu-ray format is right around the corner or announced. So I would expect JVC to consider this and launch the 900/700 replacements with a true 4K panel and the 500 replacement with moderate updates and probably support for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. I think the price points will be similar to what we have now or maybe just slightly higher, but I don't think JVC will push that far up in MSRP.
post #3630 of 3973
Thanks for everyone's answers on my above questions. I do use the manual iris clamped down, but not all the way, maybe 1/2 or a little more. Reading from the above it would appear I should see a difference, which is what I am looking for. Incremental improvements are what its about. Not sure if I am going to hold on to my x95 for one more year and see if a true 4k model comes out (and source material starts to hit) or take the plung and get this years models.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home