or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Fixing Subtitles on BD Rips for HTPC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fixing Subtitles on BD Rips for HTPC?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey all-

I just finished ripping my BD collection to a server to stream throughout the house.

I realized in watching Iron Man, that I messed up ripping the subtitles somehow. I used MakeMKV, and while the subtitles turn on and off if I wish, the english translation (I guess forced subtitles) of the foreign language are not present.

Can I re-rip just the subtitle stream and somehow add that into my existing MKV of the movie, or do I need to re-rip?

Thanks!

Charlie
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97L View Post

Hey all-

I just finished ripping my BD collection to a server to stream throughout the house.

I realized in watching Iron Man, that I messed up ripping the subtitles somehow. I used MakeMKV, and while the subtitles turn on and off if I wish, the english translation (I guess forced subtitles) of the foreign language are not present.

Can I re-rip just the subtitle stream and somehow add that into my existing MKV of the movie, or do I need to re-rip?

Thanks!

Charlie

This is an issue with forced subs. As long as you ripped the subs there's a quick and easy fix:

Download and install MKVMerge.
Open MKVMerge
Under the file menu, open the Header Editor
Drag your MKV file into the Header Editor Window
You should see all the audio and sub streams listed.
Select the stream you want to make sure plays, and set the forced and default options to ON.
Save, takes a few seconds to save the changes to the file

I use this with foreign films as well, I just set the default eng subs and the default lang for the movie to default and on.

End result is that XBMC, the Dune players with the forced sub patch, and the PCH players will show the sub track you set as default with the players sub settings defaulted to off. WAF was very high with this one.
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

This is an issue with forced subs. As long as you ripped the subs there's a quick and easy fix:

Download and install MKVMerge.
Open MKVMerge
Under the file menu, open the Header Editor
Drag your MKV file into the Header Editor Window
You should see all the audio and sub streams listed.
Select the stream you want to make sure plays, and set the forced and default options to ON.
Save, takes a few seconds to save the changes to the file

I use this with foreign films as well, I just set the default eng subs and the default lang for the movie to default and on.

End result is that XBMC, the Dune players with the forced sub patch, and the PCH players will show the sub track you set as default with the players sub settings defaulted to off. WAF was very high with this one.

+1
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
So, If the forced stream is missing, my only recourse really is to do a complete re-rip?

If so, it's not a big deal, I can figure out which of my disks need it.

Also having some issues with DVD forced, but from my research that seems to just be an issues. District 9 and DaVinci Code don't seem to have a solution.

Thanks!
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97L View Post

So, If the forced stream is missing, my only recourse really is to do a complete re-rip?

If so, it's not a big deal, I can figure out which of my disks need it.

Also having some issues with DVD forced, but from my research that seems to just be an issues. District 9 and DaVinci Code don't seem to have a solution.

Thanks!

Yes, you'll need to rerip.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the confirmation!

I think for the forced subs on DVD i'll just have to download them for select titles.

Thanks! Now to go through my blurays and figure out which have subs. UGH.

I"ve already seen the google doc about it, but it's not totally comprehensive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Fixing Subtitles on BD Rips for HTPC?