or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Am I too dead?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I too dead? - Page 2

post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Very interesting Keith....

Now I am sold!

Something must have gone wrong with my XT-32 EQ straight after the new acoustic treatments were installed and maybe that's why I thought things sounded dead...I thought I had lost my highs....

Tonight I re did XT-32 8 points and its completely different, the highs (tamed by the way) have returned, wow!
The sound in the room is absolutely amazing, its wonderful, clean, tamed, dynamic, the sound stage is crystal clear and the imaging distinct, its everywhere, my eyes are following the audio over the 7 channels up front.
I'm absolutely thrilled with the result.

Gee what may have gone wrong with that EQ I did straight after the treatments went in, I was blaming the treatments for deadening everything too much. It really wasn't the case, something went wrong with that calibration...... That's taught me something, if it doesn't sound right, re do Audyssey.....

 

Did you verify the post-treatment Audyssey calibration with REW?  I always run REW after an Audyssey pro calibration, just so I can see what's going on and if there is anything unexpected happening.

post #32 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Did you verify the post-treatment Audyssey calibration with REW?  I always run REW after an Audyssey pro calibration, just so I can see what's going on and if there is anything unexpected happening.

No I didn't Keith its too late and time now to go to bed in NZ.wink.gif
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The recording has already been made in as close to ideal conditions as the sound engineers could get. They have already managed any issues caused by bad reflections and so on. In your sitting room, that is not the case and you (and your sister) are accustomed to hearing voice reproduction with numerous influences from the room. If you record your voice in your sitting room and then play it back in your HT it will sound terrible - all reflection-y. If your record your voice in your HT and play it back, it will sound 'normal'.  A space used for recording has totally different characteristics to a space used for playback.

I got a laugh when I watched an old black and white cowboy movie recently. The characters were outside in an open desert setting but the audio track was clearly recorded in a small both and dubbed over. It was so wrong hearing people outside in the open but yet with their voices sounding like were talking inside a toilet cubicle.
post #34 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

I got a laugh when I watched an old black and white cowboy movie recently. The characters were outside in an open desert setting but the audio track was clearly recorded in a small both and dubbed over. It was so wrong hearing people outside in the open but yet with their voices sounding like were talking inside a toilet cubicle.

Sure thing I get it!
Quite often you hear the street noises etc that may not sound correct, its obvious they have been added later....
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The recording has already been made in as close to ideal conditions as the sound engineers could get. They have already managed any issues caused by bad reflections and so on. In your sitting room, that is not the case and you (and your sister) are accustomed to hearing voice reproduction with numerous influences from the room. If you record your voice in your sitting room and then play it back in your HT it will sound terrible - all reflection-y. If your record your voice in your HT and play it back, it will sound 'normal'.  A space used for recording has totally different characteristics to a space used for playback.

I got a laugh when I watched an old black and white cowboy movie recently. The characters were outside in an open desert setting but the audio track was clearly recorded in a small both and dubbed over. It was so wrong hearing people outside in the open but yet with their voices sounding like were talking inside a toilet cubicle.

 

Oh yes - movie mixes have come a long way since those days haven't they?  For me, the sound is at least as important as the picture, sometimes more so, and it is such a major part of the enjoyment of a movie.

post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Did you verify the post-treatment Audyssey calibration with REW?  I always run REW after an Audyssey pro calibration, just so I can see what's going on and if there is anything unexpected happening.

No I didn't Keith its too late and time now to go to bed in NZ.wink.gif

 

OK. It would have been interesting to see if the measurements reflected your listening experience with regard to the HF. No matter...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Am I too dead?