or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 30% off Andrew Jone's Pioneers at Best Buy...Good deal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

30% off Andrew Jone's Pioneers at Best Buy...Good deal?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Best Buy has the Andrew Jone's line 30% off. That equates to the BS-22 bookshelves being $90 a pair, the FS-52 towers being $87 each, and the C22 center being $70. Is this deal too good to pass on? I've been saving some gift cards to purchase the Bic Venturi line, but these are some awfully low prices it seems. I don't want to buy speakers just because the price is reduced. I want to make sure I'm getting my moneys worth. Thoughts from anyone?
post #2 of 38
Too good to pass on? No. They've been a little cheaper and will be this price again. If you want the absolute lowest price, follow someplace like slickdeals dot net. Set up a deal alert.

A good deal on very good speakers for the money? Yes. Read the reviews.

Like everything, if you can or want to use the gear now, buy it. If not, wait.
post #3 of 38
Thread Starter 
Well that's reassuing to hear they go down to a smiliar, if not lower, price point. Are purchasing the towers for the fronts worth it if I'm running a BIC F12 subwoofer? I'm curious whether I should just get two pairs of the BS-22 bookshelves for my fronts and surrounds, or get the towers for the fronts and then the bookshelves for the surrounds. It's a difference of $85 between the two options.
post #4 of 38
If you've got space, get the towers up front.
Quote:
Is this deal too good to pass on?

Depends where you live. I'm in California and we have Fry's Electronics stores. They put the FS-52 on sale for $77 each quite often and the BS-22 for $77/pr. So for me the Best Buy deal is easy to pass up.
post #5 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

If you've got space, get the towers up front.
Depends where you live. I'm in California and we have Fry's Electronics stores. They put the FS-52 on sale for $77 each quite often and the BS-22 for $77/pr. So for me the Best Buy deal is easy to pass up.

There are no Fry's stores near me and I have $100 in Best Buy gift cards, so I would need to purchase it from them. With the FS-52's up front, the center channel, and the BS-22s for my surrounds, my total would come to $236 after applying my gift card.

Afrogt, you seem to know your stuff pretty well so I'm hoping you can answer this for me. My real dilemna is if I instead purchase the Bic Venturi line that I have heard so many good things about. I would get 3 of the 62CLRS for my fronts and center, and then the DV 62si for my surrounds. After my gift card, this would come to about $333, roughly $100 more than the Pioneer sale.

I've heard and read about that 62CLRS center channel and people seem to be blown away by it with the clarity and it's ability to reach 38hz. It seems the 62CLRS would largely outperform the Pioneer C-22 center channel, but then again, I don't know.

Whaddya think??
post #6 of 38
The price has been lower in the past. It may be lower (or not) in the future. Only product managers for the various firms involved know that. But they are well-engineered speakers, and the price is very good for what you get.
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Best Buy has the Andrew Jone's line 30% off. That equates to the BS-22 bookshelves being $90 a pair, the FS-52 towers being $87 each, and the C22 center being $70. Is this deal too good to pass on? I've been saving some gift cards to purchase the Bic Venturi line, but these are some awfully low prices it seems. I don't want to buy speakers just because the price is reduced. I want to make sure I'm getting my moneys worth. Thoughts from anyone?

Thanks OP.

This is the lowest I've seen them in a while. The speakers have been lower according to others in the forum.

I want to have the Pioneer BS22-C22 as LCRs and I got the NHT SuperZero-2-0 speakers for surrounds.

I got the 5 NHT SuperZeros for $300 thanks to Afrogt who gave a link to that deal. I want to test the SuperZeros as surrounds with the Pioneers in the front. If the Pioneers don't work in my situation as LCRs then I'll keep all SuperZeros. If the Pioneers work, then I will return 3 of the SuperZeros. I have a 30 day window to do that, so I will bite on this deal.
post #8 of 38
Have you received the NHT SuperZeros yet? How do they sound to you?
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Afrogt, you seem to know your stuff pretty well so I'm hoping you can answer this for me. My real dilemna is if I instead purchase the Bic Venturi line that I have heard so many good things about. I would get 3 of the 62CLRS for my fronts and center, and then the DV 62si for my surrounds. After my gift card, this would come to about $333, roughly $100 more than the Pioneer sale.

Do they actually sell the Bic 62CLRS in BB stores or do you have to buy off the website? I've never seen them in Best Buy so I've never heard them either. Read good things about them though.
post #10 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Do they actually sell the Bic 62CLRS in BB stores or do you have to buy off the website? I've never seen them in Best Buy so I've never heard them either. Read good things about them though.

Correct. You have to buy them off their website. They sell for $104 for one single 62 CLRS. Ugh. I hate this, lol. What to do what to do....
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Correct. You have to buy them off their website. They sell for $104 for one single 62 CLRS. Ugh. I hate this, lol. What to do what to do....

Have you read Audioholics review of the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers? http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

You really can't go wrong with these unless you can up your budget much more than $100. Why not pick up a pair of the towers from Best Buy and try them out at home? If you are happy with the sound, then get the rest of the set. If don't like them, then I would recommend saving a few hundred dollars more to jump up to a better class of speaker smile.gif
post #12 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Have you read Audioholics review of the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers? http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

You really can't go wrong with these unless you can up your budget much more than $100. Why not pick up a pair of the towers from Best Buy and try them out at home? If you are happy with the sound, then get the rest of the set. If don't like them, then I would recommend saving a few hundred dollars more to jump up to a better class of speaker smile.gif

Thanks for the reading. That was quite nice. Sounds like he was quite impressed. The one drawback I read was that the BS-22's are not really meant for wall mounting, which is unfortunate because my plan is to purchase wall mounts for the surrounds. I wonder if there is a mount to get around this issue.
post #13 of 38
There is a big discussion thread on AVS devoted to the Andrew Jones series speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

You could search it for "mounting" and see what you find, and then ask questions smile.gif
post #14 of 38
The new BS-22 and FS-52 models don't have metal grilles, only the previous BS-21, FS-51 and matching center.
post #15 of 38
Thread Starter 
Yeah, they definitely won't win any awards for their attractiveness by any means. But I don't know...the more I keep reading about these speakers people often wonder how they can even be priced so low. I read where someone wrote, "I almost wish they were $100-$200 more. That way I could justify the sound." lol. I guess people just really tend to think they are one of the best buys you can get with your money.

And also, with Best Buy having this sale, is one better off to go with 3 FS-52's up front as opposed to 2 FS-52's and then the center channel?? The FS-52 is selling for $87 and the center channel $70, so a $17 difference. What do you guys think? Would the center channel work better compared to the FS-52?
Edited by butie120 - 8/18/13 at 6:53pm
post #16 of 38
The best timbre match for the front sound stage is three of the exact same speaker. If you can stand up all three (not planning to lay the FS-52 on its side as a center), DEFINITELY. Get a 3rd FS-52 for the center smile.gif
post #17 of 38
Amazon just dropped the price of the 22's by $50. Price is now $79. It could be back up tomorrow to the regular price.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=lp_3236451011_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1376877909&sr=1-5
post #18 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The best timbre match for the front sound stage is three of the exact same speaker. If you can stand up all three (not planning to lay the FS-52 on its side as a center), DEFINITELY. Get a 3rd FS-52 for the center smile.gif

That's what I assumed. So which would you pick from the following scenarios? 3 FS-52s or 3 Bic DV-62CLRS. Here are the specs:

Bic 62 CLRS:

Frequency Response: 38Hz - 20kHz (+/- 3dB)
Sensitivity: 90 db @ 1 watt, 1 meter
Drivers: Two 6 1/2" poly/graphite woofers, 3/4" poly soft dome tweeter
Magnetic Shielding: YES
Gold-Plated Terminals:
Recommended Power: 10-175 watts per channel
Impedance: 8 Ohms

FS-52:

Frequency response: 40hz-20 hz (+/- 3DB)
Sensitivity: 87 db@ 1 watt, 1 meter
Drivers: 3 5 1/4" woofers, 1" dome tweeter
Magnetic shielding: NO
Recommended power: 130 watt power handlng
Impedance: 6 Ohms


Which 3 would you pick for your sound stage up front?
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Have you received the NHT SuperZeros yet? How do they sound to you?

I haven't received the SuperZeros yet. Seems like ground shipping is taking forever. I ordered on the 15th and they are supposed to arrive by the 22nd. I did buy the Pioneers today and set them up. The mantel is holding strong with the C22 smile.gif. I am still playing around with the settings. I am running a 3.0 right now with no sub. Hopefully the NX-BAS-500 I ordered today should come at the same time as the SuperZeros.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post

Amazon just dropped the price of the 22's by $50. Price is now $79. It could be back up tomorrow to the regular price.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=lp_3236451011_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1376877909&sr=1-5

I hope I can take my receipt tomorrow to Best Buy and have them price match to Amazon.
post #21 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_br View Post

I hope I can take my receipt tomorrow to Best Buy and have them price match to Amazon.

Did you grab the deal from best buy today? if so what'd ya get?
post #22 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaabna View Post

It's a difference of $85 between the two options.

Whatcha mean?
post #23 of 38
Good luck but I had try to price match before with amazon without any luck.


This is one of the problems that is taking BB to a pretty close bankruptcy they cant compete with amazon price.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Did you grab the deal from best buy today? if so what'd ya get?

I got the Pioneer BS22 for $91 and the center channel C22 for $70. Plus tax of course. I am waiting on my SuperZeros to arrive so that I can complete my 5.1 setup.

Then I drove to Walmart, Lowes and finally Home Depot to find the cheapest 150' 14 AWG speaker cable. I was hoping to buy sub woofer cable at Home Depot and I'm happy I did my research 'coz the guy in the electrical department was telling me that speaker cable would work on my sub. The NX-BAS-500 manual clearly states that the sub takes an RCA cable.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Good luck but I had try to price match before with amazon without any luck.


This is one of the problems that is taking BB to a pretty close bankruptcy they cant compete with amazon price.

The longer BB stays in business the better. TBH, I love that they price match since I do not mind paying taxes on my purchases.
post #26 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

That's what I assumed. So which would you pick from the following scenarios? 3 FS-52s or 3 Bic DV-62CLRS. Here are the specs:

Bic 62 CLRS:

Frequency Response: 38Hz - 20kHz (+/- 3dB)
Sensitivity: 90 db @ 1 watt, 1 meter
Drivers: Two 6 1/2" poly/graphite woofers, 3/4" poly soft dome tweeter
Magnetic Shielding: YES
Gold-Plated Terminals:
Recommended Power: 10-175 watts per channel
Impedance: 8 Ohms

FS-52:

Frequency response: 40hz-20 hz (+/- 3DB)
Sensitivity: 87 db@ 1 watt, 1 meter
Drivers: 3 5 1/4" woofers, 1" dome tweeter
Magnetic shielding: NO
Recommended power: 130 watt power handlng
Impedance: 6 Ohms


Which 3 would you pick for your sound stage up front?

Can anyone comment on this? I'm torn between the two setups .
post #27 of 38
Build quality as a whole seemed pretty good. Each speaker had some weight to it.myzVI think that I can take my receipt tomorrow to Best Buy and have them price match to Amazon.smile.gif
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_br View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Good luck but I had try to price match before with amazon without any luck.


This is one of the problems that is taking BB to a pretty close bankruptcy they cant compete with amazon price.

The longer BB stays in business the better. TBH, I love that they price match since I do not mind paying taxes on my purchases.


In my case they refuse price matching with amazon ,I also don't care about having to paid taxes if I have to do it, I do it .

It was a av receiver they totally refused to do a price match ,I bough the av receiver without any problem from amazon, Its been 3 years that I haven't purchase anything from best buy, not even visit the store.If they don't know how to treat a good costumer like me , they don't deserve a cent from me.

Bought lots of products at BB over many years ,computers ,tv,laptop ,camera, to deal with me like that ?


Im not the typical person that return a purchase so there was not reason to denied a price match.


I know many bad experience from people that had try to price match and its a pain in the b___ to even try.
Edited by losservatore - 8/19/13 at 9:22am
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post

Build quality as a whole seemed pretty good. Each speaker had some weight to it.myzVI think that I can take my receipt tomorrow to Best Buy and have them price match to Amazon.smile.gif

If you want to bluff, you could start the conversation with "I can bring them back if you can't price match and I need to return them. Just didn't want to haul them unless I have to" wink.gif
post #30 of 38
Thread Starter 
Can someone affirm the idea about these speakers not being driven very easy? I'm moreso speaking about the towers, the FS-52. I keep hearing about "low sensitivity" and "needing a lot of volume compared to other towers". Will one have trouble seeing good volume with these? I'm running a Denon 1613 in a 21x14 room with 7 foot ceilings.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 30% off Andrew Jone's Pioneers at Best Buy...Good deal?