or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need New Media Server

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
I've been pretty happy wityh my WDTV Live + but it's time to move on.


I need a box that is a good or better at handling all file types, the WD has been awesome

Excellent video (1080P) and audio quality

Must have optical audio out

Must have Netflix

Really want a 10-30 second skip for or backwards; hate the 10 min jump on the WD.

My Egreat was great but no Netflix.

Thoughts?


thx

bob
post #2 of 32
HTPC.
post #3 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

HTPC.

That's no an option. Back to the question.........


bob
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

That's no an option. Back to the question.........


bob

There are no devices that offer high quality audio and video as well as a polished Netflix application. So your options are... HTPC or multiple devices.
post #5 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

There are no devices that offer high quality audio and video as well as a polished Netflix application. So your options are... HTPC or multiple devices.


What is your opinion of the WDTV Live +. I'm very happy with Vid and audio quality and NFlix quality.

bob
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

What is your opinion of the WDTV Live +. I'm very happy with Vid and audio quality and NFlix quality.

bob

I'm not a fan of the Roku style Netflix application and it seems much slower on the WD boxes. I'm sure some people hate the WMC Netflix UI but to me it's a nice polished UI and works flawlessly.
The last time I used a WDTV Live it didn't bitstream audio... maybe limited DTS or something... can you bitstream HD audio on the one you have?
post #7 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

I'm not a fan of the Roku style Netflix application and it seems much slower on the WD boxes. I'm sure some people hate the WMC Netflix UI but to me it's a nice polished UI and works flawlessly.
The last time I used a WDTV Live it didn't bitstream audio... maybe limited DTS or something... can you bitstream HD audio on the one you have?

It may do pass through but not sure since I have a pre-hdmi RCVR Pio Elite VSX-59txi. I t has multichannel inputs so that's how I do HD audio.

bob
post #8 of 32
If that's the case then why would you want to get rid of your WD?
post #9 of 32
Thread Starter 
It's slow and I was hoping to get 30 sec skip like on my Egreat M34 which I think is PH based?
post #10 of 32
I haven't really looked into Chromecast at all but it might be worth researching? I really don't think there is a product out there for people who want high quality local streaming along with Netflix. The Roku kind of fits that criteria with Plex but it's video/audio quality and compatibility leaves a lot to be desired.
post #11 of 32
Even with HTPC you might have some issues with Netflix. I've got XBMC installed, and I was able to scrapped all of my movies, but the Netflix addon doesn't work with XBMC. I currently use two Dune media players to stream movies, but I am trying to build an all in one HTPC, which has become harder than I though it would be.
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Even with HTPC you might have some issues with Netflix. I've got XBMC installed, and I was able to scrapped all of my movies, but the Netflix addon doesn't work with XBMC. I currently use two Dune media players to stream movies, but I am trying to build an all in one HTPC, which has become harder than I though it would be.

Are you trying to configure an all-in-one solution with XBMC? Or against using WMC for Netflix?
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Are you trying to configure an all-in-one solution with XBMC? Or against using WMC for Netflix?

I want XBMC to handle everything. That way the wife and kids don't have to be searching around. If the only solution is to use XBMC + WMC, I'll give it a try and see how it works, but it appears I might end up just using what I've got.
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I want XBMC to handle everything. That way the wife and kids don't have to be searching around. If the only solution is to use XBMC + WMC, I'll give it a try and see how it works, but it appears I might end up just using what I've got.

I haven't used this since I started using Plex (which integrates automatically) but I'm guessing it hasn't really changed. http://xbmcwmc.teknowebworks.com/
It basically makes XBMC launch from WMC and when you close XBMC it goes back to WMC. This is what we use at home but with Plex integration. This gives us live TV and recordings, Netflix, and Plex all from the same remote and desktop that anyone can use. Since Plex and XBMC support bitstreaming audio now I think it really is the most complete and highest quality AIO solution.
post #15 of 32
You could go with the Roku or Samsung Blu-Ray player using the Plex client as well smile.gif
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

I haven't used this since I started using Plex (which integrates automatically) but I'm guessing it hasn't really changed. http://xbmcwmc.teknowebworks.com/
It basically makes XBMC launch from WMC and when you close XBMC it goes back to WMC. This is what we use at home but with Plex integration. This gives us live TV and recordings, Netflix, and Plex all from the same remote and desktop that anyone can use. Since Plex and XBMC support bitstreaming audio now I think it really is the most complete and highest quality AIO solution.

Thanks. I will give this a try and see how it works out. After doing an extensive research, I found the reason why the Netflix addon doesn't work is due to Netflix not supporting API anymore. There are some work arounds for this, but it too much work.
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Thanks. I will give this a try and see how it works out. After doing an extensive research, I found the reason why the Netflix addon doesn't work is due to Netflix not supporting API anymore. There are some work arounds for this, but it too much work.

Have you taken a look at PlayOn?

Bill
post #18 of 32
XBMC (HTPC) + separate Roku box = Done...
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Have you taken a look at PlayOn?

Bill

PlayOn transcodes the video, I don't want that.
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33TX43RT View Post

XBMC (HTPC) + separate Roku box = Done...

I mind as well stay with Dune and PS3 for that matter. I am trying to get rid of devices not getting more.
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

PlayOn transcodes the video, I don't want that.

I meant strictly for the streaming stuff. I believe you can add it as a source to XBMC in order to have access to the channels it offers.

Bill
post #22 of 32
Well, I was able to connect WMC to XBMC. I can access netflix via WMC, but I cannot get Hulu to work with WMC now lol. Got to get ready to go to work now.
post #23 of 32
Thread Starter 
KDLINKS A100 arrived today and was boxed up in an hour! All my m2ts movies stuttered, couldn't get any optical audio trying all choices; unit froze up and the GUI was awful.

Hooked up the Live + and was happy again. Watched Hunger Games on Netflix and PQ is stellar. I have a calibrated Pio Elite 9G PRO-101. Maybe the new WD Live would be an upgrade since I want a faster machine but don't want to sacrifice PQ on local files or Netflix. Wonder if the Dune could do ita ll?
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

KDLINKS A100 arrived today and was boxed up in an hour! All my m2ts movies stuttered, couldn't get any optical audio trying all choices; unit froze up and the GUI was awful.

Hooked up the Live + and was happy again. Watched Hunger Games on Netflix and PQ is stellar. I have a calibrated Pio Elite 9G PRO-101. Maybe the new WD Live would be an upgrade since I want a faster machine but don't want to sacrifice PQ on local files or Netflix. Wonder if the Dune could do ita ll?

The Dune players don't have a Netflix client. If they did.... they would probably be the universally recommended product here for every "what should I get thread?".
post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

The Dune players don't have a Netflix client. If they did.... they would probably be the universally recommended product here for every "what should I get thread?".

OK, thanks. I'll stick with WD for now smile.gif

bob
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

I've been pretty happy wityh my WDTV Live + but it's time to move on.


I need a box that is a good or better at handling all file types, the WD has been awesome

Excellent video (1080P) and audio quality

Must have optical audio out

Must have Netflix

Really want a 10-30 second skip for or backwards; hate the 10 min jump on the WD.

My Egreat was great but no Netflix.

Thoughts?


thx

bob

After going through the same pain, I settled on an HTPC for local content and a Roku3 for all things streaming. There wasn't a single device I could find that handled everything with the same effectiveness as the two devices did separately. Sometimes there is no Swiss Army Knife.
post #27 of 32
After 5 days of messing around with XBMC, I was able to install Hulu and Amazon. Hulu works, but Amazon doesn't probably due to not having a paid subscription to Amazon Video. The only way I was able to successfully access Netflix was via WMC. So, if I want to use Netflix, I will have to have WMC and XBMC on and switch between the two, which is faster than turning my Dune off, and turning the PS3 or Xbox on for Netflix.

So, I am thinking of selling my Dune TV303D in order to help me get some $$ to buy parts for a HTPC.
Edited by GusGus748s - 8/21/13 at 3:39am
post #28 of 32
might be another thing to try : WMC + MyMovies. Gives great results (similar to xbmc) but with less eye candy than xbmc.
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

might be another thing to try : WMC + MyMovies. Gives great results (similar to xbmc) but with less eye candy than xbmc.

That's not an option. I've used that combo before, and I didn't like it.
post #30 of 32
just to be curious : why ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home